Start by marking “Alanatomy: the Inside Story” as Want to Read:
Alanatomy: the Inside Story

Alanatomy: the Inside Story

For anyone who has taken the time to see my stand-up performances or watched my chat show, 'Chattyman', knows that my body has hardly been kind to me - in fact there've been times when we've

Published October 6th 2016 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Alanatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alanatomy

Start your review of Alanatomy: the Inside Story
Kerri
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Alan Carr's first book (yet) but that didn't hinder my enjoyment of this one which picks up where the last finished. This was a funny, enjoyable read. I'm really only familiar with his show Chatty Man, but the stories about his others shows and gigs were still entertaining. I had a good time reading it and it has made me want to check out his other book and his stand up work.
Lisa
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun, audio
Really enjoyed this series of anecdotes / stories from the life of Alan Carr - especially as I listened via audio and Alan actually spoke to me!
He was like my real life friend for a little while - I would think oh no I need to do some ironing and then, not to worry coz I'll take Alan with me!
A great read (if you share Alan's sense of humour) but it's not a complete story or in any way serious - just good fun.
Rachael
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical. my boyfriend kept coming upstairs because i was laughing so much.
Allan
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I don't watch much in the way of light entertainment television, but have enjoyed interviews with Alan Carr in the past, so bought this when it came up as a daily deal on Audible. Self depreciating and funny, informative without betraying any confidences or creating any spats, it turned out to be an enjoyable, light hearted listen.
OMG Daniel Reads Books!
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alanatomy is the second autobiography from British comedian and chat show legend Alan Carr! This book focuses on his ‘celebrity years’ whereas his first book Look Who It Is focuses on his childhood and rise to fame.

I really enjoyed both books, but for me I much preferred Alanatomy! I really enjoyed the insights into Alan’s celebrity lifestyle and the behind the scenes information on celebrities we all know and love that have appeared on Alan’s chat show Chatty Man. Full of stories and gossip
Lainy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 3 days (in and out)

Pages - 332

Publisher - Penguin

Source - Bought

Blurb from Goodreads

If you loved Alan's first memoir - Look Who It Is! - then this follow-up, Alanatomy, will take you further into the hilarious and bizarre world of the country's favourite chatty man. Alanatomy is the chance for you to get beneath my skin and see the real me because, and to continue the anatomical theme if I may, this showbiz existence can sometimes feel like an autopsy - picked at, probed
Amy Westgarth
The second of Alan's autobiographies, this basically covers his life since hitting the big time. As others have said, and Alan himself acknowledges here, that means this is more of a collection of anecdotes rather than a linear life story as the first book was. There is a vague outline that meanders through his time on The Friday Night Project through to Chatty Man and beyond, but it's mostly various celebrity encounters and notable events from the past decade.

I didn't really mind this, but if
Samuel Tyler
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A balance must be made in any autobiography between irreverent fun and something meaty that actually makes you think. Depending on the person the weight can be one way or the other. I would expect a politician to have a serious memoir that is peppered with some amusing anecdotes, whilst a comedian would produce the opposite; a funny book that has a few serious bits. Alan Carr is perhaps, on the surface one, of the most irreverent comedians out there; his interview technique seems to be mostly ...more
Norma
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another funny book about Alan's life. I really enjoyed his first book. This one covered his rise to fame. I was a fan of The Friday night project from the start. Who knew The coat of cash was a health and safety nightmare? It looked funny watching it from my sofa but Alan said that running through the audience was quite scary. Alan's career in c4 has been well deserved as he is very entertaining.
Ben
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't find this as entertaining as his previous autobiography. It didn't feel as structured (more of a ramble than anything else) and I felt like there were interesting stories/moments in his life that he only devoted a page or two to taking about, whereas there were huge chunks of 'less-than-interesting' stories.

Overall 2.5 stars I think, as it was still amusing and entertaining in parts, but could have been saved by a better edit and perhaps planning.
Kate Henderson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Def recommend as an audio book. Alan Carr's narration is truly hilarious. Definitely preferred his first book as (in agreement with other reviews I've read) this book just feels a bit all over the place structurally. Just a list of stories instead of linear structure autobiography. Really enjoyable though and definitely good for long car or train journeys!
Sam
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is everything I expect from an autobiography.. funny, intimate and self assured with a dash of honesty. I loved how care free Alan Carr was, he named and shamed some celebrities which takes some "balls" and the fact the book embodies his campiness. A very good read.

(Rating is technically a 3.5 stars)
Robert John Bristow
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A harmless giggle with the odd interesting story along the way. Great if you like Alan Carr because he is trying to be intimate-ish. He certainly isn't hiding... Like him and you'll like this.
Ashley
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction, 2018
This was fun. I love listening to Alan Carr and it was nice getting a little deeper than the stuff I get from the panel shows
Kirstie Jones
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do like him - what experiences he has had, it exhausts me just reading about them. Everything is a drama ...more
Linda Tilling
Great book funny in places, but not as good as his first two books.
Sarah Bird
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious... laugh out load funny... *****
Lisa Bennett
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
Loved it, really interesting, and much better than his first book. Definitely worth a read
michelle  Simons
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Although the book touched on some more painful parts of Alan's life, this is mostly a name dropping lighthearted book, which made me laugh all the way through.
Stephanie
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a read! Practically cried all the way through. So many funny stories and anecdotes. One of my favourite comedians
Declan Williams
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good autobiography. I actually laughed out loud at some points!
Emily Murfitt
I'm going to continue reading this book because I hate leaving a book half finished, but this definitely isn't the best autobiography I've ever read. If it wasn't for his funny anecdotes about renowned celebrities I probably couldn't bear the next 200 pages. I have read reviews that state Carr's earlier books have more structure, but I can safely say that this is one of the most jumbled, fragmented books I've read in a while. It is less of a chronological memoir and more a train of ...more
Caroline Doab
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I honestly loved listening to the audio book of this really made the book come alive for me. At the start you could Alan was reading his book but very quickly it sounded like I was listening to him sitting beside me just telling me about his life. The only time I didn't was when he read the chapter title. This was amazing in that he doesn't sugar coat anything and doesn't apologise for certain friendships he has. It's funny. Witty and an honest insight into his life. I adored it
Robyn
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Alan's comedy so was pleasantly surprised to discover he'd written a book. Then I was pissed off because while reading Alanatomy I discovered there was a prequel. But that's my luck. I always start shit midway or at the end.
Anyway.
Alanatomy had me chuckling in bed late at night, it had me nodding in understanding and empathy at the struggles experienced courtesy of anxiety (No thanks Alan, I don't need any high end adult diapers... yet), and feeling a bizarre kinship to a man
Adam Dunn
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
Loved it. Living in Canada I don't get to hear or see Alan Carr as much as I'd like so there's no danger of over-saturation. He's charming and drop dead funny, I laughed out loud several times listening to this book and it's the great kind of funny where hours or days later you think about it and laugh again.
I didn't know some of the people discussed in the book, who is Jeremy Clarkson? But it didn't matter. I'm just glad I was able to buy it and listen to it, two of his three stand-up specials
Xanthi
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are intending to read this book, try to get a hold of the audiobook version because half the fun is listening to how Carr tells his story.
To say he has a way with words is a gross understatement. He vividly describes people, situations and events in ways that had me laughing out loud many, many times. I could listen to him for hours and was sad to reach the end of this book. I hope there will be more to come in the future.
Lee
Actual rating of 3.5 stars.

Fun enough, and well narrated. A couple of the stories from the previous autobiography were repeated in here though, and this time around things felt more gossip-ish, which I didn't particularly like.
Cherrelle Smith
He's done it again. I loved it!
Sally Bucknole
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: signed-books
OK but I prefer fiction.
Jodi
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Alan and this book was hilarious. Just as good as his first aswell!

• The Life of Rylan
  • Parsnips, Buttered: How to baffle, bamboozle and boycott your way through modern life
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times on Television
  • You Deserve a Drink: Boozy Misadventures and Tales of Debauchery
  • Dear Fatty
  • Lies Lies Lies
  • Her Last Goodnight
  • The Children (NHB Modern Plays)
  • Lord of Misrule
Alan Graham Carr is an English comedian and television personality.