Start by marking “When the Lyrebird Calls” as Want to Read:
When the Lyrebird Calls

When the Lyrebird Calls

When Madeleine is shipped off to stay with her eccentric grandmother for the holidays, she expects the usual: politics, early-morning yoga, extreme health food, and lots of hard work. Instead, Madeleine tumbles back in time to 1900, where the wealthy Williamson family takes her into their home, Lyrebird Muse.

At a time when young girls have no power and no voice, set agains
Published November 2016 by Allen & Unwin (first published October 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about When the Lyrebird Calls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Lyrebird Calls

Bruce Gargoyle
I received this title from Allen & Unwin for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A loose tribute to the Australian classic Playing Beatie Bow. On a trip to bring some antique shoes she has discovered to the local museum, Madeleine finds herself unexpectedly whisked back to the early 1900s.

When the Lyrebird Calls is essentially a story about women and girls; the ways in which their lives have been shaped and directed by the expectations of society and the ways in which they have rebelled, quietly and
Gaby Meares
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Time-slip novels for young adults seem to be all the rage, particularly with Australian writers. It is a tradition started by our wonderful Ruth Park with Playing Beattie Bow and she set a very high benchmark. Belinda Murrell has written some cracking good books in this genre, and now we have Kim Kane entering the field.
My issues with this book I feel come from being an adult reading a YA novel, so I'm hoping that the intended audience will not be put off by them.
I feel Kane is trying too hard
Kirsti
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well I adored it! This book had many things I love in good YA Aussie fiction; strong female characters, strong friendship/family themes, historical bent, mentions of lollies, and a sweet, sad story line. While I would never call this book action packed, it does have that quaint quality I love about books from the era that Madeleine actually fell into. For all she hates the manners and the odd clothing, I love those kinds of things!

I was particularly drawn to this book from the beautiful cover, a
Kerrie
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A solidly-written timeslip tale that takes a thoughtful look at a key moment in Australia's past from the perspective of those on its fringes, barred from participation by the fact of their gender (and, to a lesser extent, race - if there was one character I wanted to see more of, it was Percy). The characters are well-drawn and not idealised, but not demonised either; I'd have liked a little less tell and a little more show regarding Maddie's interest in sports, which doesn't really get a momen ...more
Shelly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the idea and research that went into this, but there wasn't enough action. I thought the book was too long, without enough plot to warrant it. I would have liked to see more conflict between modern Madeleine and the 1900s. I think students might find this one a bit slow, even though it fits well with Stage 3 curriculum.
Saturday's Child
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a junior fiction that I would certainly recommend to young readers. I would have enjoyed the plot and the characters if I had of read it as a younger reader. The low rating I have given it is because I did not enjoy it as an older reader. I am sure however that it would appeal to a younger reader.
Amanda Witt
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enthralling read, with the main character going back in time after stumbling upon a stone structure, and being thrust into the year 1900 lives of her ancestors.
Nella
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time slip story -Federation and universal suffrage
Dianne
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tweens and adults alike enjoyed this wonderful story and absolutely loved the ending. It is amazing what we take for granted and it stimulated many discussions about the rights of women, aboriginies and right/wrong and shades of greys, not to mention when can we meet a lyrebird. Thanks Kim you provided a thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable read!
St Stephen's C C
A time-slip novel in which Madeleine finds herself transported back to 1900 Australia, where she befriends a family of girls and is witness to a family secret and a family tragedy.
At a time
Jill Smith
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Madeline has to stay the winter holidays with her Grandmother Mum Crum who renovated houses and lives on vegetable smoothies and exercise in Elf Cottage with an English garden in a small town outside Melbourne. It’s cold and her eccentric grandmother is a challenge.

After an early morning swim, Mum Crum sets Madeline the task of working on a huge old cupboard that’s in her room. Sanding it down and painting it was not her preferred holiday activity. If only she’d been able to stay at her best fr
Amanda
I've read Kim Kane's previous YA novel, Cry Blue Murder , co-authored with Marion Roberts, so when her new middle grade/YA novel showed up I was keen to give it a go, despite being really put off by the drab cover.

Twelve year old Maddie Barnes has been sent to stay with her grandmother in Melbourne, not far from an old house called Lyrebird Muse. When Maddie walks there one day, she finds herself transported back to 1900. She meets the Williamson sisters, Bea, Gert, Charlie, and Imo, and joins
Andrea
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So glad I was choosen to receive the early proof of this book. I didn't actually realise it was a young person's book - on the back it says for ages 10 to 13. I guess at that age I was fascinated by The Lion, the witch and wardrobe and this has a slightly similar feeling. A time-slip into an different age and but in this case, the same place. Definitely enjoyable for an adult such as myself and more especially because I am deeply interested in my family genealogy in the time....they characters b ...more
Dimity Powell
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Factual and fanciful, this time-slip novel really does have the essence of Playing Beatie Bow about it as proclaimed. Kane's solid narrative juxtaposes Victorian staunch with 2000-something flippancy as modern day Madelaine is unexpectedly thrown into the past and, as it turns out, her own colourful family history. Each of the young characters is beautifully carved out of 1900 oneness creating some interesting and entertaining opportunities to unite historical milestones with later day actualiti ...more
Clare Snow
Update Dec 2017:
I just finished Kim Kane's previous book Cry Blue Murder which is so much more spectacular than this. Is that due to co-author Marion Roberts providing all the spark and suspense?

When the Lyrebird Calls is ok, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a high tolerance for not much happening.
Raze
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Not a terribly difficult book to get through - it's aimed at the 10-13 age group - but it also accomplishes this without dumbing down its audience. I think that between the strength of the narrative and the themes it discusses, this is the kind of book that's going to end up in more than a few school libraries.
Danni
Jan 03, 2017 added it
awesome, imaginative yet not far from truths. a wonderful comparison between times
Linda Ste
Jan 27, 2018
Barbara
Jan 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Kim Kane was born in London in a bed bequeathed by Wordsworth to . . . ‘a writer, a painter or a poet.’ Despite this auspicious beginning, she went on to practise law.

Kim's picture book Family Forest was shortlisted for the 2011 Children's Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Awards. The Vegetable Ark was a 2011 CBCA Notable Book in two categories. Kim's first novel, Pip: the story of Olive, won the
“The olden days had never looked this freezing in photos.” 0 likes