Start by marking “Winterbay Abbey” as Want to Read:
Winterbay Abbey

Winterbay Abbey

Will Larson has one last chance to save his stagnant career as an architect: design a grand restoration for a long-abandoned abbey. Looming above the breathtaking, windswept coast of Maine, Winterbay Abbey offers a picturesque spot for a charming hotel. But the locals harbor a peculiar distaste for the ruined Gothic convent.

After witnessing a drowning within sight of the
Published September 8th 2016 by Coda Media Ink

To ask other readers questions about Winterbay Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterbay Abbey

Start your review of Winterbay Abbey
Amalia Gavea
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
‘’Men drowned by the score for over three hundred years. Winter storms drove them there, that’s where the name comes from. Winterbay. Cold,desolate place.’’

This is such a striking quote that perfectly describes not only the setting but the heart of the story. Cold, isolation and death…

I was immediately won by the title and the cover and it didn’t take me long to start reading. I confess I initially thought that this wasn’t going to be anything original, but I didn’t mind.After all, the majority
Char
4.5/5 stars!

WINTERBAY ABBEY is a beautifully written Gothic style ghost story and I adored it, from start to finish!

When I saw this being compared to Susan Hill's THE WOMAN IN BLACK, I was a bit hesitant because, to be honest, I did not like that tale AT ALL. It was repetitious and I felt it lacked the Gothic, quiet horror atmosphere that I love so much. I needn't have worried because this book was much better than that one and it had the added advantage of Matt Godfrey's narration.

This is the
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller and ghost story lovers
Not a bad Gothic horror story,although I'm awfully pissed about the ending. Even though I understand they were going for a Gothic story ending, I don't see any point to ending it like this, ugh.

The tension is built well, but since the story isn't very long, it develops quite fast and is quite predictable, to be honest. Not necessarily a bad thing, if you're looking for a fast read. The narrator (and the main character) is an insufferable idiot though. It takes him forever to arrive at
Asia Chapman
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES!! If you're looking for a quick spine chilling mystery, look no further than Winterbay Abbey. I just read the last page 6 minutes ago and I still have a cold chill lingering up my back & neck. I loved everything about this book. It was a refreshing break from all of the violence and gore that are in a lot of recent scary stories. The scary parts of this tale come from such detailed accounts of what is truly frightening; the unknown. What's around that corner? What was that sound? Did I ...more
Chris Torretta
Interesting gothic story but the characterization killed the rating.

Full review coming soon.
Lorraine
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a ghost story!
Shelves: fiction, own, paranormal
This is a grand ghost story. Winterbay Abbey by John Bladek and Davonna Juroe takes place in Maine, a very favorite place of mine. Once I started Winterbay Abbey in was next to impossible to put down. A 'a tale of Gothic horror' which the two authors certainly enjoy, and they wrote a dynamite telling of this ghost story. I could not believe when I read the last five sentences that they were the last five sentences. I turned the page ready to begin the next chapter, and I saw at the top of the ...more
BRT
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little gothic ghost story. Just enough to get your heart skipping but not so much that you have to sleep with all the lights in the house on, a Bible under your pillow, and a rosary clutched in your hand...again. Would have liked a slightly happier ending for the protagonist though.
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read horror often, pretty much never, but when I do, this is exactly what I want. It was a great gothic style ghost story. There is no need to muddy a story with blood and guts, when you can supply the jumps and chills with sidelong glances and shadowy movements. The characters are well developed and relatable, which is key in a story like this where you are meant to feel your skin crawling with them. Great for fans of Poe, or dark classics like Frankenstein or Dracula.
Renee Ross
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Gothic Ghost Story

This book never had a dull moment. I cared about the main character from page one. Highly atmospheric, creepy, eerie, haunting, and tragic. If you enjoy a good ghost story, you'll love this one!
Amber Mangum
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winterbay Abbey was an amazing and thrilling story that gave me the chills. If you like a good ghost story this is your book. an absolutely exceptional tale.
Katie Lacasse
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOAH! This book was so so good. Honestly, I was not expecting much from it. I needed a book to fit the PopSugar Reading Challenge "takes place in an abbey", and this one was recommended. I was blown away by this book! It was so creepy and definitely an awesome horror novel/ghost story. I would HIGHLY recommend. I wish I read it during Halloween time!
Hellcat Mental
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little story- not the best ghost story I've ever read, but I liked the visuals and it did not go as I expected, which is always a nice surprise!
Briana
Liked it a lot until the end. I needed a happy ending and didn't get one. Oh well.
Diana
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid Gothic ghost story with an atmospheric setting. A great read for people who want to be too scared to look behind them while getting lost in a dark building but not find a pile of bloody corpses.
Michelle
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that keeps you up at night because you want to keep reading it. It's a very well written ghost story and reminded me of "The Woman In Black." I got caught up in the main character's story. Then I got caught up in the abbey's history. The ending was a little disappointing, but I enjoyed getting to that point.
Rebecka
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always looked for the best in any project, and what others thought of as "brooding", I liked to call "charm".

Will is an architect, struggling to support his growing family while staying true to his creative vision. He is hanging on by a thread at his firm and his boss has given him a final chance to prove himself. Wealthy developers have purchased the abandoned Winterbay Abbey in order to develop it into a hotel. Will must travel from Seattle to Maine to check out the site and begin
Gmr
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We started off on a high note, getting to know our lead characters, and diving head first into the history of Winterbay from the locals. Let's just say that "colorful" doesn't do it justice. From a convent to a home for wayward girls to the severely creepy shell that remains today, aside from the location having a great (and dangerous!) view...it's beyond me why anyone would want to set foot there. Certainly not Will Larson, especially after everything he learns AND experiences.

We are shown
Astrid
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The setting and scenery descriptions of this tale really are of the Gothic horror genre - it's hard to go wrong with a haunted abbey. The characters though, were not so satisfying. I found it difficult to care about either of them, there was no chemistry between the two, and the fact you're planted straight into their marital stress without much reason as to why (other than money troubles) makes it difficult to muster up sympathy for them.

The actual ghost story was good and a good story behind
Kristi
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Gothic fiction, I was excited to read this New England ghost story. Under duress, Seattle-based architect, Will Larsen travels to the coast of Maine to work on the restoration of a historic abandoned abbey. When he arrives in town Will hears vague local warning about the curse of Winterbay Abbey. When Will witnesses frightening happenings at the Abbey, the police dismiss his concerns and he feels like he is going crazy. He wants nothing more than to leave Winterbay, but his wife ...more
Jessica Rushing
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Gothic ghost story set on the rocky coasts of Maine? How could I say no?

Was this the most original story ever, of course not. That's not why I would reach for a Gothic ghost story. But it kept my interest through-out. I feel like Will was a little on the melodramatic side, despite his self-delusion that he was not. I also felt like the connection between Pamela and Emily could have been a little more drawn out.

But all in all, it was a good little haunting book. I was particularly fond of
Andrea Flavell
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing

This is a gothic ghost story and had all the right ingredients for a chillingly good read. Sadly the storyline did not flow well, being clunky and often repeating the same thing in different ways. Ghost stories do of course require a little imagination however this storyline left too many questions unanswered, too many mysteries raised were not, I felt, addressed. The sequence of events felt muddled and sadly for me it was very evident that two people were contributing to this book;
Tina
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will Larson is assigned a makeover of an abandoned Abbey in Maine for his architectural firm. Upon arriving, he requests that his pregnant wife join him. Will is bothered by some of his findings in the decrepit building. From there, we're swept up in a great ghost story.

I found the characters to be realistic and sympathetic. The descriptions of the coastal property were also right on point. Things don't get wrapped up with a neat little bow by the end, however. I found the questions the authors
Kelly MacIver
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
More of a short story than a book. The last 10% is all notes from the authors and information about the authors. I was slightly irritated by the over the top scene setting in Seattle....let’s put oh, 5 references per page of Seattle street names, neighborhoods, etc so it’s clear where we are....just say Seattle and be done with it already. Geez.

This overall was just ok. I didn’t totally get the background story of the couple, could have explained it more I think. I didn’t find the characters
John-Michael Lelievre
Horror can be really hit and miss with me, this was a hit! A relatively short ghost story about a west coast architect sent to the east coast to turn an old abbey into a luxury hotel, of course, the abbey has dark secrets...

There's a little bit of everything here, creepy nuns, a haunted old building, an incredibly atmospheric location, a grizzled and mysterious old lighthouse keeper, and a bit of mystery to keep you turning pages.

I really enjoyed this one!
Adele
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok read

I'm not sure how to felt about this book. The main character was annoying and whiney, but definitely redeemed himself and the story neared the end. His wife had absolutely no character development at all. All the characters felt a bit shallow and juvenile, and the conversations between them held no depth at all. But the storyline itself was cool. It was just creepy enough, and I did really enjoy the atmosphere. Not a bad book, overall.
Sofie Hern
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a weakness for ghost stories and this one did not disappoint! I was hooked from the very beginning and unable to put it down. Will Larson is a strong, believable character and the story took me back to my younger years when my brother and I did a few paranormal investigations. I absolutely recommend this read. If you enjoyed The Woman in Black you will definitely enjoy this one. I do suggest you read this during the day!
Juli
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A modern Gothic tale that revivals the atmosphere of many much older works. I enjoyed this story quite a bit. Both author's truly have a knack for conjuring a perfect ghostly setting. I think the book would've been more powerful had the protagonist been female. The ending was a bit abrupt as well. All in all though, this should be a must read for any Gothic horror fan.
Catherine
Very predictable. For the young adult reader this would be a good story. For the adult reader, not so much. Could not understand the actions/reactions of the main character at all. His baby rattle turning up at the abbey was way beyond belief even for a ghost story.
Stacy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to say 2 1/2 stars, but the setting in Maine gets it extra credit. While atmospheric, it's more like a pile of ideas that don't quite mesh. The lead character is OK, but lacks something. I don't care for the ending at all.
Carol Palmer
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Enjoyable ghost story

This is a pretty good ghost story. There is one twist that I enjoyed.

I’ve watched too much “Supernatural” because I kept wondering why they didn’t just dig up the body and burn the bones.

• Apartment Six
  • Blind Search (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #2)
  • An Isle of Man Ghostly Cozy Collection - ABC
  • Red Creek
  • Blackthorn Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #3)
  • A Haunted Walk to Remember (A Ghostly Haunted Tour Guide Cozy Mystery Book 12)
  • The Opposite of Dark
  • Pixie Me Up (Newborn Pixie Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Our Missing Pieces
  • Stirrings in the Black House
  • Secrets in the Walls: A Collection Of Riveting Haunted House Mysteries
  • Crow's Cottage (Where the Dead Walk #2)
  • Death in the Park (Firefly Junction Mystery #1)
  • The Daemoniac (Gaslamp Gothic #1)
  • The Ghosts of Idlewood (Idlewood #1)
  • Nothing Hidden Ever Stays
  • Cozy Halloween Cozy Mystery Boxed Set
John Bladek grew up in Washington State (named for a dead president, but unfortunately not haunted by him). He’s always been fascinated by scary stories. The first story he can remember reading on his own was called “Spook’s Bones”, a tale of two boys who grant a ghost’s last wish to have his bones properly buried, and then enjoy sandwiches in celebration. He also liked listening to ghost stories ...more