Start by marking “Phoenix (Peradon #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix (Peradon #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Phoenix

(The Legends of Peradon #1)

One woman will take back her freedom. And rise.

Violetta will never forget that day. Guilt shadows her every step as she prepares to take her father’s throne. Sadly, he has other ideas. Violetta must marry or forfeit her royal birthright, but all she wants is to be free, to no longer relive the tragic events of her past. If only she can learn to love again, to put the past
Paperback, 1, 292 pages
Published August 27th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, please sign up.

Angel
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really good well written fantasy novel with sword and sorcery added, magic, beautiful imagery, intrigue that held its own. The characters come alive and the pacing is very well organized. The action is well thought out. The descriptions were like a painting coming to life. The worldbuilding flowed naturally and impeccably. I had trouble connecting with the character Arlas, but the description of him was quite superb. Violetta, even though I understood her suffering sometimes I couldn't ...more
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
The Flame Queen by Dax Munro is one of my most disappointing reads of 2019.
I wanted to like The Flame Queen. The book is basically everything that I would enjoy from a book: royalty, elemental magic, assassins, struggle with destiny, etc. But unfortunately, bookwyrms, that didn't happen. 😔
This book is an absolute, fucking mess.
I'm writing this
Rachel (borntoberustic)
Plot Rating: ★★★☆☆
Writing Style Rating: ★★☆☆☆

This story contains a lot of promising elements. However, most of the background is never developed and that makes the characters feel somewhat shallow. Also, the fantasy universe is intriguing, but again, lacks depth. A map would be a huge asset to this story!

What primarily made this book hard for me to get into was that none of the characters are particularly easy to identify with (most likely because we don't really get to know them). Ryore is, by
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
In Peradon, there are four magical kingdoms based on The Elements of Water, Air, Earth, and Fire. Princess Violetta Flame has the ability to create fire but she just wants to move forward with her life since her mother and brother passed away due to illness. Violetta has grown into her beauty and catches the eye of Emperor Ryore, Ryore is determined to have Violetta as his wife and mother of his children. Ryore lavishly spoils Violetta as his bride and wife. However it comes to pass that Violett ...more
Joshua Grant
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever wonder what it would be like if the four seasons became physical beings? Would they make war on each other, or perhaps fall in love? In Daccari Buchelli’s Phoenix this is almost the case. The world has been split into four magical kingdoms that embody the four seasons. War, assassinations, royal plots, and magic are all commonplace and young Princess Violetta must contend with them all.

Violetta’s journey is a complicated one. She must contend with a difficult and mysterious death in
Noorah Fatima
I received this book from Xpresso Book Tours for an honest book review.
When I first saw the cover I thought it would be a powerful book filled with fantasy, wars, conspiracy.
I was wrong.
First of all, this book is extremely confusing. I'm a really fast reader but the first 5 chapters took me around 4 hours because I had to turn the pages again and again to just understand what the hell was going on. I'm honestly never harsh with my books but this one had me really pulling my hair apart.
I didn't
Julie Powell
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable fantasy story about love, power, deception and magic.

There is a good cast of characters, an intriguing world of four seasonal realms and a plot that twists things around.

I would have liked Violetta to have more 'fire', but she did highlight the restraints of royalty...as did the majority of characters, where duty comes before heart.

There were some wonderful descriptions and a good sense of place, although there were parts that were confusing...jumps in time, for example. Th
Alan
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I am so pleased to have won 'Sweet Surrender' in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This is the first time that I have read any books by this author and I'm sure it will not be the last. I don't read many books in this genre as it's not my preferred genre, but my opinion is fast changing. Excellent! Recommended.
Shelley
*Source* Xpresso Book Tours
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3-3.5

*Thoughts*

The Flame Queen is the first installment in author Dax Munro's The Legends of Peradon series. Welcome to Peradon. A collection of 4 separate Realms (Spring, Autumn, Summer, and Winter) representing the 4 elementals (Earth, Air, Flame, Frost). The story revolves around two key players: Prince Ryore, and Princess Violetta. The story actually beings in the Frost Realm of Emperor Jugan.

*Full Review @ Gizmos Reviews*

https:
filming.pages
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2018
*Thank you Voracious Readers and Daccari Buchelli for the free copy of this book in exchange with an honest review*

Okay, I have two major problems with this book. The first is the utter and complete lack of world-building. We learn that there are four magical realms, but that's it. No specific information about the creatures that live in each of them, no talk about what abilities, laws, style of life they have. Nothing.

The second is the fact that the main characters (Violetta and Ryore) are stu
Suzanne Rogerson
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I received a copy from the author and have given my unbiased opinion.
Phoenix is a fantasy book and book #1 of the Peradon series. It opens with immediate intrigue as a seer tells Emperor Jugan of a future marriage between his eldest son and their enemy. To avoid this fate, the Emperor decides to have Violetta assassinated. This sets in motion events that drive the story and greatly affects Violette'a life.
There are lots of good ideas in this book but several seem rushed and I longed for them to
Sarah Stein
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is far from the genre I normally read but I'm glad I decided to give this book a chance. At first, it was difficult to keep up with the different realms but upon reading, I didn't have a problem because this Author is very descriptive with her writing. I felt as if I were experiencing each character I read. Violetta is definitely a character that I rooted for the entire time and from the beginning I had hoped she married Xyhoni instead of Ryore. I didn't like him from the start of the story ...more
carinne
Jan 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately not for me. For some reason I was under the impression that this was more paranormal then fantasy. Most likely, because of the beautiful cover. If your into high fantasy books, this will probably be your cup of tea. Great world building from what I've read so far. Awesome concept. No rating from me because I only reached page 40, and I think that would just be unfair. Things happen rather quickly in the first chapter. I say if your into fantasy give it a go. I'd like to thank the a ...more
Bella Emy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
Interesting story, well written plot, great description of characters... highly recommend for anyone who loves YA fantasy!
L. McCoy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free pdf of this book in exchange for an honest review.

So, this is a good example of how sometimes it takes me a long time to finish a book but that doesn’t mean the book is bad. Yeah, I did take awhile but it’s still a very good book. The problem is that if I gotta do something that requires me to put my book down for all of 5 minutes, 4 hours later I find myself doing dumb shit (example: researching controversies regarding outdoor advertising for horror (real example, surprisingly
Ariana
Nov 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again, kindle
I received a free copy of this book from VRO, in return for an honest review. Overall rating: 1.5 stars.

Writing: The writing style starts out choppy and awkward, but smooths out a quarter of the way through. However, there are still some peculiar word choices, (i.e. at one point an individual soldier is called "a troop" which is not a usage I've ever seen before). 2 Stars.

Plot: The plot idea is solid, the execution is...lacking. In many way it reads like an outline to a story, never quite delvin
R.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan! I'm a HUGE fan of this author, now. WOW! Five Stars is not enough! I was extremely interested in this book, but approached it with skepticism. However, to my surprise, this author has captured my attention. I'm listening.

Phoenix, book one of The Peradon Fantasy Series, does not disappoint. It holds everything an avid reader of fantasy craves for. The scenes are luring, filled with intrigue and mystery. Your every emotion is drawn out of you as you move along the well plotted storyline
Esther Rabbit
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this very exciting story and I have to say I loved it! The world Dax Munro created is intense, filled to the brim with royal drama and a young woman who keeps growing in order to become her true self and overcome the adversities meant to shake her moral compass.

Violetta herself is an ever-evolving character and I personally find it natural for any woman to go through a range of feelings and experiences in order to find the strength to tackle the problem and grow into her
Ankita
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Phoenix starts with a seer named Reiza announcing her vision to the Emperor Jugan. The Emperor is not pleased with her vision and Reiza is not oblivious to the same. According to this troublesome vision of hers,

"…,your Grace. Your eldest son is destined to marry the enemy. If that happens, there is no doubt that he will have secured your throne.”

She is even sure of the girl whom he’ll be marrying — the daughter of King Eagan, Princess Violetta Flame. One may wonder, at this point in time, why wo
Cabiria Aquarius
Violetta went through tragedy at a young age. Only it wasn’t supposed to happen that way. And now the people responsible for the tragedy are continuously causing trouble for the Flame Princess. She holds strong.

The young Emperor of the Frost Realm believes Violetta to be his love. Without knowing her that well. Is that cause for celebration and a wedding? Or caution?

Young Prince of Frost will do anything to keep his late father proud. Although he has no choice. Why? Read and find out.

What a t
Alex James
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-reviews
‘True, privacy was rare in her world, her duties closing in on her youth and what little freedom she had left.’

‘It always felt as though the light would burn her. Some days she wished it would or that her powers would simply envelop her in flame. She revelled in the idea of being allowed to simply melt away, therefore escaping this miserable life.’

Princess Violetta of the Flame Realm has come of age, and men of status have begun to notice her. There’s Xyhoni, the family friend, and there’s the c
Michael Kelly
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's always a pleasure to begin reading a new fantasy novel. By definition, the land, realms, politics and so forth will all be new. In this instance, the land of Peradon is divided into four kingdoms, each based upon one of the four seasons and the four classical elements. This also informs the story's magical system, as each realm has its own type of elemental magic, some naturally allied whilst those at opposite poles are naturally opposed.

This setting gives promising scope, especially as the
Grant Leishman
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Phoenix by Daccari Buchelli is a debut novel from this author and as such is an interesting and successful entry into the world of fantasy novels.
One of the great things about fantasy novels is they often introduce us to new and exciting worlds, that the reader can enjoy. Phoenix is no exception to this and we are introduced to the world of Peradon, a land split into four kingdoms, based on the elements of Fire, Air, Earth and Ice, although the story principally takes place in two of the kingdo
Ellie Midwood
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love fantasy, this book definitely should be on your to-read list. Not only is it an extremely well-written page-turner but it will transport you into the world you will not want to part with even after you turn the last page of the book. The beautiful, rich language in which it’s written deserves a special commendation for it provides a reader with a particularly enjoyable experience.
The plot itself intrigued me as the blurb promised a strong female character who has to fight for her ri
Anniken Haga
So I picked this up because I follow the author on Instagram, and have for a while. Then it ended up sitting unread on my kindle for a little while, 'cause I haven't really been in the mood for YA, and I honestly don't read to much kindle books - I don't feel I have control.
But now I got around to it!

I have to admit it was little hard story for me to rate.
For while I really liked the idea around the story and the world - I've actually written something like it in Norwegian Aerith - I found th
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Magic never ceased to bring Violetta joy, until the day it became her curse. Aged fifteen, the young Flame Mage and Princess finds herself drawn to the mysterious and charming Frost Emperor, Ryore.

Torn between her sudden feelings and inescapable duty to the throne, Violetta seeks to strike a balance. Will she surrender her will forever, or strive for freedom by doing the unthinkable?

A fantastic fantasy novel that is filled with suspense. A true page turner that I didn't want to put down. This b
Jana Petken
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of fantasy and dystopian novels where worlds and realms are discovered in the most magical ways. Phoenix is a great example of fantasy with a strong array of characters and plot driven story.

I enjoyed the writing, the imagination and the characters in the story. As this is a series, the author has the opportunity to put a little more background into both characters and realms, of which there were four. I'm sure I will find out more as the series develops and will look forward to th
Giselle
Nov 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The Flame Queen may be an ideal read for book lovers that enjoy:
-Elemental magic

Request an ARC here: [closed - other review opportunities found here]
Nessa
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Flame Queen
*I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours but this did not influence my completely honest opinion on the book*

Where do I begin... when I first read the synopsis for this book I thought it would be a pretty decent read but once I started the first chapter it quickly went downhill. Also a quick note is that this book probably should have had a trigger warning in the beginning because it deals with topics such as domestic abuse and rape. Since the majority of this

Vicky Quenault
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune
  • Griffin's Shadow (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #2)
  • The Goblin Bride (Beneath Sands, #1)
  • Letters of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • Baby-Sitters Club
  • The Thief
  • Tall Dark Handsome Lycan (Tall Dark Handsome Lycan, #1)
  • No Man Can Tame (The Dark-Elves of Nightbloom, #1)
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • Shadowbridge (Shadowbridge, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Run, Hide, Fight Back
  • Paramount (Thirty Minutes to Heartbreak, #1)
  • Pyramid Scheme (Pyramid, #1)
  • Relax, I'm a Ninja (Relax, I'm a Ninja, #1)
  • ごくせん 1 (Gokusen #1)
  • Tenacity (Lieutenant Danielle Lewis, #1)

Vote for The Flame Queen in AllAuthor's February Cover Contest: https://allauthor.com/cover-of-the-mo...

Dax Munro is an eccentric young author from the East of England with a passion for social psychology. Her debut novel, The Flame Queen explores the depths of a young princess’ mind as she pushes through a traumatic childhood event, to eventually find her own sense of self-worth.

While Dax does pl