Start by marking “Forks, Knives, and Spoons” as Want to Read:
Forks, Knives, and Spoons

Forks, Knives, and Spoons

There are three kinds of guys: forks, knives, and spoons. That is the final lesson that Amy York's father sends her off to college with, never suspecting just how far his daughter will take it. Clinging to the Utensil Classification System as her guide, Amy tries to convince her skeptical roommate, Veronica Warren, of its usefulness as they navigate the heartbreaks and sou ...more
Published April 18th 2017 by SparkPress

To ask other readers questions about Forks, Knives, and Spoons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forks, Knives, and Spoons

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-soft-copy, arcs
4 fun, I-love-the-80s stars to Forks, Knives, and Spoons ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

As a child of the 80s, I was instantly smitten with the time period of this novel and all the pop culture references peppered throughout. I had forgotten about many of those things and had so many “aww” moments that I waxed nostalgic over and over.

The group of women in this novel were in college, so there was also some college nostalgia, too. It’s all very fun, but it’s not fluff. There is plenty of substance to the story, and wha
Leah DeCesare
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well - of course I gave it 5 stars! :-)
Suzanne Leopold
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amy York is leaving her Connecticut home to begin her freshman year at college. Her father provides her with light advice on choosing a life partner before she leaves. One of his hopes is that she selects a boyfriend that will not distract her from the dream she has of becoming a journalist. His advice classifies men into three types of utensils: forks, knives, and spoons. Amy takes this advice to heart, providing her with a guide to assess the male population at college and beyond.

Amy and Veron
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. If you are looking for a relationship than you really could use the concept of finding the perfect "steak knife". Don't settle for anything less. Otherwise, you are just left with a bunch of posers. Amy and Veronica were good together. I enjoyed seeing them experience all of their relationship turmoil in their quests to find the perfect "steak knife". They did come across forks, spoons, sporks, and even chopsticks along the way.

Although, I did feel like Amy was trying too
Trinity
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I am not a big fan of romance novels, I absolutely loved this book. I adored the way that the characters used the Utensil Classification System to rate the quality of the boys that would come in and out of their lives. This book is an amazing collage of wit, funny college life, romance, and finding Mr. Right. I loved the way that it followed the relationships of the protagonists and showed what to look for and what to keep away from in a guy.

I won this book through a Goodreads giveaw
Kelly Fichter
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fabulous book! I could not put it down! I have read it twice and it just keeps getting better!
Crystal King
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
As a child of the 80s and who went to college in the early 90s, I loved how this novel took me completely back in time. Leah Decesare navigates the complexities of college relationships and the coming of age of two roommates as they move from underneath the wings of their parents and into the world of adult life. It's funny, witty and full of nostalgia. A perfect summer read to warm your heart.
Samantha
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book just wrapped me up into a big ball of 90s nostalgia and rolled me in first love memories! I didn't want to put it down. It tugged at all my heart strings and made me fondly remember why I'm so glad to be an adult hahaha.

Raised alone by her father, after her mother died when she was an infant, he told Amy that all men were like forks, knives, or spoons. Amy takes this to heart and creates a class system that all men can somehow fall into. To her and her friends, ideal man is a shiny st
Deena Souza
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book. I was taken on a journey back to when I was in college. I smiled, laughed and cried through the book. I didn't want it to end!!
Amy
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

This was such a fun, feel good, lighthearted read! I love books set in the eighties, there’s something about the nostalgia I experience when I’m reading something set in that time period, and DeCesare brought the eighties back to life! She went into detail about the fashions, music, movies and stone aged technology and it was such a funny blast from the past.

It begins in 1988 when Amy is getting ready to start her freshman year of college. Sh
Holly
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Forks, Knives And Spoons is a whole new way to look at dating through a college girl's eyes! It's 1988 in Syracuse, NY and Amy has just started her freshman year of college. Amy and her roommate, Veronica quickly become friends but Amy has this new way of classifying boys that Veronica doesn't agree with. The ultimate catch is a Knife, Forks are pricks and Spoons are the nerdy dudes.

As Amy and Veronica get through the hard years of college, following this system of meeting boys and discovering
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
What an absolutely delightful, sparkly and fun read! Set during the time I basically went to college (give or take a few years), it was extremely nostalgic and took me right back to my college days. Freshman year, rushing a sorority, making new friends, entering the dating life... fast forward to senior year and embarking on new adventures... to later in life when you really "grow" up and learn about yourself.

This is an honest look into how a classification system is used to find that "perfect"
Jane
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
Really was a fun read but gets you thinking about relationships, motives and personalities. It is also a great walk down memory lane for those who were of dating age in the 80s.
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
This was a fun read! I really enjoyed the 80s setting because I grew up in the 80s. Sometimes it's nice to read a book like this, to bring me back to the good old days! The characters in the story were interesting and I wanted to see how they would work through things, and that definitely kept the pages turning. I loved all the 80s and 90s references throughout also! Thank you to the author for sending me a copy, I would definitely recommend!!
Amy Poeppel
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy to know Leah and to have had the chance to read her wonderful book in advance! It is a fun and charming story about college, friendship, and love. DeCesare follows two young women Amy and Veronica as they navigate Syracuse and Manhattan, trying to determine if the men in their lives are forks, knives, or spoons. A really fun read!
Linda
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In her first fictional novel, Leah DeCesare creates characters that you will recognize in your own lives! Those of us who attended college in the late 80s will absolutely be able to identify forks, knives and spoons from your college days and beyond. I wonder how many young women will read this and use the utensil classification in the future! This book was funny, engrossing - Leah makes you care for the characters and what happens to them. I love the fact that I'm familiar with some of the loca ...more
Travel.with.a.book
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Forks, Knives and Spoons" is fortunately not a simple romance novel and I'm so happy for reading it! Leah's writings are extraordinary unique and the characters she has created in this masterpiece are very well connected, I could feel them and understand them in the best way!
So I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to romance but this novel really gave me nice vibes, it merges the college life and romance in a very professional way that Leah could make! The main character is Amy a very interes
Joy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes going in to this book! It had great review on Amazon and the utensil classification system intrigued me. I was ready for the 80's pop culture references. I was disappointed. I thought the UCS was lame, and after a strong start, the pop culture references were few and mostly about music. I didn't find it laugh out loud funny and felt it wasn't very well written.
Molly Keane
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down! Brought me back to my college and recent graduate days. This is a book that anyone can relate to - falling in love, heartache, family drama, career decisions and more. Every high school and college graduate should be reading this book - such valuable life lessons. Highly recommend!!
Beth
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The characters were alive. I was drawn to them. I liked them. They were real, flawed, and caring. I could feel the way they felt about each other and shared in their frustration, disappointment, healing, and happiness. I still think about them and wonder how they're doing. Easily read, hard to put down.
Sally Meadows
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't finish this book, the writing is flat and sophomoric and the premise of the rating system doesn't even make sense, totally contrived with little rationale. I can't understand all the good ratings.
Caryn
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Corlyn Riverside Reader
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read! I laughed, I cried, I reminisced. Leah DeCesare hits all the right elements in her debut novel!
Jenny Williams
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So fun & full of nostalgia! A great summer read.
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anyone who came of age in the late '80s/early '90s will enjoy the little bits of nostalgia scattered throughout this sweet love story. From Benettan sweaters, to "paradise by the dashboard light", to bangs sculpted with aquanet, FORK,KNIVES AND SPOONS takes the reader on a delightful trip through the early years of college when everyone is looking for love in all the wrong places. Despite a predictable conclusion, I really enjoyed this fanciful trip. FORKS, KNIVES AND SPOONS is a fun book and a ...more
Jen
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was amazingly adorable. Set mostly in the 80s, it follows Amy through college, where she fits all men into the groups of forks, knives, and spoons according to the advice her father gave her before her freshman year. The book has amazing cultural references and Amy's system quickly catches on with the rest of the girls at school. Are there more utensils out there? Will they all find their steak knives? Or is it all a farce.

Delightfully fun to read, a great book for your poolside readi
Samantha March
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a book I could not put down. My Kindle was coming everywhere with me while I was reading Forks, Knives and Spoons. Even while waiting in line at a drive through, I pulled out my Kindle to keep reading. I loved the story of a college friendship between two women, their relationships, and their life after college. The early 90s nostalgia had me smiling as well, and if you’re a 90s child, I bet you’ll get a few throwback laughs as well. I was surprised to see this is Leah DeCesare’s debu ...more
Reeca Elliott
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-review, book
This book begins with Amy and Veronica starting their freshman year at Syracuse. Before Amy left home her father gave her some advice about boys. Veronica and Amy dub this unique advice the UCS. The Utensil Classification System.This story follows Amy and Veronica as they navigate the dating scene through college and beyond. Their decisions and actions cause a domino effect on their lives and others. I enjoyed these young ladies. Both seem to have a good head on their shoulders, even though they ...more
Sara Texas Girl Reads
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Women’s fiction sometimes gets a bad rap. Chick lit is often used in a derogatory way; the books we aren’t supposed to like. I don’t agree with the negative stereotypes associated with it, and if you ever meet me in person I’ll give you my whole diatribe about it. There are poorly-written pieces of literary fiction and great chick lit books. I will read it all! As much as I enjoy a well-placed women’s fiction novel, I hadn’t read one in awhile. Then Leah DeCesare’s Forks, Knives and Spoons lande ...more
Linda Zagon
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved everything about Leah DeCesare's novel "Forks,Knives and Spoons"! The concept of this novel is so unique, creative and unusual! Kudos to Leah DeCesare for such an amazing and original storyline! The genres of this story are Fiction, Women's Fiction, and Romance.

The time-line of the story is in the 1980's where there aren't cell phones, texting, and social media. Imagine having to call on a landline or send a handwritten,(or typed) note or letter, The author describes several girls who bec
  • Set Me Free (A Fugitive #2)
  • Silent Sentry
  • Love and Fat-Free Cheese
  • Paris Cravings (Paris & Pastry, #1)
  • The Trove of the Passion Room
  • Me Tarzan -- You Jane
  • Rick Steves' Spain 2007 (Rick Steves' Country Guides)
  • Bleed Through
  • Crazy for You (Risking It All, #2)
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • The Boy and the Dark Star (The Dark Star Trilogy, #3)
  • The Good Jobs Strategy: How the Smartest Companies Invest in Employees to Lower Costs and Boost Profits
  • The Red Labyrinth
  • Once Upon a Player (British Bad Boys, #2)
  • Scepter of Fire (The Mirror of Immortality, #2)
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • The King's Questioner
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
Leah DeCesare is the award-winning author of FORKS, KNIVES, AND SPOONS, her debut novel, and the nonfiction parenting series NAKED PARENTING, based on her work as a doula, early parenting educator, and mom of three. Her articles have been featured in The Huffington Post, Eligible Magazine, Simply Woman, the International Doula, and The Key, among others.

She is the cofounder of the nonprofit, Doul
“Remember to value who you are no matter what. Believe you are worth being loved and don’t ever settle.” 1 likes
“There’s so much in life that is fragile, she thought, but it only means you should love it more, hold it closer, instead of keeping it at a distance worried that it will break your heart.” 0 likes