Start by marking “Meatless?: A Fresh Look At What You Eat” as Want to Read:
Meatless?: A Fresh Look At What You Eat

Meatless?: A Fresh Look At What You Eat

Humans are eating more meat than ever before. At the same time, vegetarianism is capturing more widespread attention. From Meatless Mondays to vegan options, people are talking more about meat and whether or not to eat it.

Journalist Sarah Elton tackles the topic by explaining what vegetarianism is, why people choose it, and how their reasons—including religion, animal righ
Published May 16th 2017 by Owlkids Books

To ask other readers questions about Meatless?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meatless?

Start your review of Meatless?: A Fresh Look At What You Eat
Mischenko
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meatless?: A Fresh Look At What You Eat by Sarah Elton is an educational book for children to understand just what it means to be a meat-eater. It answers questions about where meat comes from, environmental cost, greenhouse gasses, and other food options. It also explains the differences between being vegetarian, vegan, flexitarian, and pescatarian.

I was thoroughly amazed at the amount of information in this book. It leads children to start thinking about their own food choices. The book isn't
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meatless? A Fresh Look At What You Eat by Sarah Elton is a book about choices. The book starts out by talking about meat and where different meat is eaten and and why. Then the different types of vegetarian classes. Who eats what. Then it is discussed why religions may effect a persons choice. Other reasons such as climate change, conservation, humanity, person choice, health reasons, etc. Then it talks about how it is possible for many people to eat at a table together that have various meal ch ...more
Lucy Banks
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Meatless from Netgalley, in return for an honest review.

I've been a vegetarian myself for over 1o years now, and my kids often like to ask questions about it - so when I saw this book, I was naturally drawn to it.

The book (which is incidentally written by a meat-eater), provides a non-biased, informative view on vegetarianism, talking about the history of eating meat, the various religions and cultures that choose not to eat it, plus offering helpful advice to becoming a ve
Jessica Rodrigues
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, kids-nonfic
Meatless is a much-needed addition to our public library.

The author presents reasoned arguments for both eating or not eating meat, and provides helpful dietary commentary on making sure that children who decide to become vegetarian will still get the necessary proteins and vitamins.

One page in particular was very heartwarming, reminding readers to always make room for everyone at the table. Eating is a very social activity, and it's important to be inclusive while still maintaining your own ea
Ronda
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will fill a void in our school library. While we have cookbooks and books on nutrition, we don't have anything for kids who might be interested in becoming vegetarian. Instead of approaching the topic in a militant or didactic fashion, the author explains her own experience in becoming aware of food choices, guides the reader into a brief look at the history of meat-eating, explores various reasons people might have for reducing or removing meat from their diets, then offers responsibl ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Meatless? By Sarah Elton had so much more information that I was expecting. This is a very educational book for middle grade (junior) children to understand what it means to be a meat eater. It discusses things such as where meat comes from, the environmental cost (cutting down forests etc.), greenhouse gasses, and other food options. It also explains the differences between being vegetarian, vegan, flexitarian, and pescatarian. It also talked about various religions and what they believed. The ...more
Marzie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

After recently reading this article in the Washington Post, in which an online survey found 7% of people surveyed thought chocolate milk could mes from brown cows, and an study in 2011 found that only 22% of all 4-6th graders know pickles are cucumbers, I thought reviewing a few books about food and farms would be a good plan.

Meatless is an excellent primer on vegetarianism, veganism or even flextarianism as alternat
Maria Rowe
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I mostly picked it up because I really like the illustrations, but the topic was interesting to me too. I was (pleasantly) surprised reading it - I don’t eat meat, but I thought the book was going to be preachy but it isn’t at all. In fact the author is a meat-eater and the point of this book really seems to be introducing children to different types of eating (vegetarians, vegans, pescetarians, etc.), ways to eat healthy, different religious views on meat, and variou ...more
Wunderdrugged
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This title is nominated for the 2019 Hackmatack Award in the non-fiction category. It explores the question of whether or not to eat meat, and provides helpful information for kids who are curious about going meatless. Touching on the differences between vegetarian, vegan, flexitarian, etc, this book uses kid friendly language to explain how different cultures & religions, and where we live on the planet, influence our diet. The illustrations were great, and I really appreciated the nonjudgmenta ...more
Nicole Martin
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good introduction to vegetarianism for kids- for adults too! I like that it touches on all of the reasons that people can choose from to go meatless and it stresses how important it is to further your food education as well. It touches on issues like factory farming and food production costs in language that manages to stay informative without being scary for little ones.
I loved the weekly meatless meal plan- even though I've been meatless for 5+ years, I would follow that meal
Holly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty thorough look at what it means to not eat meat--what choices you have to fulfill your protein needs and why you might not want to eat meat, either for religious, environmental or personal reasons. I liked the fact that the author was not a vegetarian. Maybe because it didn't seem biased? The facts were there, including how animals are often treated in large meat producing factories, and the author also included a few stories by real-life vegetarian and vegan kiddos.
Michelle
This is a great book for kids about vegetarianism! It speaks to the kids who might not be vegetarians, but are thinking about it, as well as vegans and pescatarians. I thought it explains why abstaining from eating meat is good for your health as well as the environment. It even explains why some religions don’t eat certain meats, or prepare it a certain way. This is a great one for any collection!

Thanks to Netgalley.com for a review copy of this book.
Harriette
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Informative book about nutrition and how meat gets to us. Although the author states at the beginning that she is not a vegetarian and says being a vegetarian is a personal decision, it seems like the book has an agenda to convince young readers to become vegetarians because it gives sample menus and gives advice about how to tell one's parents about this choice.
Julie
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Covers a lot of very good updated information. This is more than telling someone to be a vegetarian for health reasons. It exposes the cost - both in dollars to raise animals for consumption - and the climate costs (use of water, oil/gas for transporting, methane gas in atmosphere). I highly recommend it.
Jen
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This is awesome and I wish I'd had it 20+ years ago when I was deciding to stop eating meat. It would have cleared up a lot of the thoughts and feelings I wasn't able to articulate on my own and made it easier to explain to my family why my diet was changing. Such a great resource!
Chadd Huizenga
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book for kids and adults. I think it could be a bit more hospitable to meat eating, but with how bad eating meat is for the environment, I understand.
Lauri Meyers
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting and informing book about meat- how it is raised, implications of raising meat, discussion of the right amount of meat, and why prosper decide to become vegetarians.
Sara
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations and not overly preachy.
Nichole
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
Meatless? A Fresh Look At What You Eat by Sarah Elton is a fantastic and easy read for any person who is considering vegetarianism, veganism, or plant-based diets.

This book would be great in a public library or available in schools for younger readers who are seeking honest answers to alternative ways of eating. There is no obvious bias from the writer in this book. She simply offers interesting facts and information regarding the food that we eat and why we eat it.

I am impressed by the amount
Critterbee❇
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Meatless? is an excellent book for young readers. The book answers a lot of questions about meat-eating and vegetarianism, in a way that is unbiased and easy to understand. Author Elton covers the many different reasons for not eating meat, and does not malign meat-eaters for making the choice to eat meat. The book does not state that any eating preferences are inferior.

There are tips for children who wish to try going vegetarian. Readers are urged to be tolerant of family and friends' diets, to
Muriel
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
For middle school age children considering a vegetarian lifestyle Meatless provides a case for being meatless. The book is broken down into sections such as, what is vegetarianism, history of meat eating, why go vegetarian, and if not meat then what. In the why go vegetarian section animal welfare and the high cost of meat to our environment is investigated. Kids might be surprised to learn that 14.5 % of greenhouse gas emissions are caused by meat and dairy production. If the reader is swayed t ...more
Ryan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I was expecting, in a good way. A confessed meat eater has put together a book for kids about vegetarianism and why people do and do not eat meat. At no time are sides taken. Originally, especially when she talks about killing a chicken in the beginning, I thought this would be a rant on the dangers of meat. But it is not. Instead it is a well thought out answer to questions for anyone thinking about what we eat and why. She explains many concepts such as vegan diets, or v ...more
Jessica daven
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The number one fact that made me love this book was the way the author presented a number of reasoned arguments for both eating or not eating meat. The book was full of very very helpful dietary commentary and treated arguments like vegtarianism in kids, and how to make sure they get all the vitamins and other things they need to grow up healthy. I highly recommend it.
SamanthaLacroix
« previous 1 3 next »

• Top Dogs: Canines That Made History
  • Super Smart Information Strategies: Podcasting 101
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe
  • New Shoes