Start by marking “Birdy Flynn” as Want to Read:
Birdy Flynn

Birdy Flynn

It is the summer and a group of children are playing down by a stream when they do a terrible thing. Something that Birdy tries unsuccessfully to avert. While the other children in the gang find it easy to forget what they have done, Birdy is trapped in the moment and feels bound to do something to make amends. But how does a child face up to responsibility and find the co ...more
Published May 9th 2017 by Oneworld Publications

To ask other readers questions about Birdy Flynn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birdy Flynn

Luna
Birdy Flynn was not the book I anticipated. It’s set in 1982 with The Falklands War, the Pope visit and the Hyde Park & Regent’s Park bombings in July that year all impacting Birdy’s life to some extent. Particularly the bombings which, as most of Birdy’s family is Irish, has aftershocks.

Initially I thought this story was a contemporary book, so it took me a moment to readjust. Because of the timeline of Birdy’s story, the narration presents extra obstacles. Birdy says that ‘nobody listens t
Amy
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a little confusing, and a little heart breaking. After a surprisingly brutal opening scene, I spent at least the first half of the book thinking Birdy was a boy. Which I think was the point, because even though (s)he exists in a female body, Birdy IS a boy. It's not a story you get to read very often, but it was well written and affecting. Birdy Flynn is a story of secrets, and conflict, and a character at the centre who is just trying to figure out who they are.
Ely Calderwood
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, poignant, sad and a wee bit shocking in places. Birdy has a great voice. This book was out-of-the-ballpark - best thing I read in 2018.
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It's 1982 and there are bombs going off in London. Birdy Flynn is Irish and a girl, who might rather be a boy, and this complicates her coming of age struggles. Her family is a little dysfunctional, and everyone has secrets of their own. Birdy is unable to confide in anyone and the secrets she carries become a heavy burden. The writing is good. It is sometimes a little rough and disjointed, but in a way that conveys the disjointed or confused thinking of a young teen. I liked the end a lot. Not ...more
Vaishnavi _ Books
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome thriller...
It's an interesting and nice read who love thrillers.
It was having so many sudden and amazing thrilling aspects in the story. Author created a beautifully deeply felt novel . Every one who reads this recognise on the character of Birdy their own struggle to find their place in the world.
I loved it alot... ❤❤❤ .
This is the story of birdy's dead grandmother's cat. Birdy Flynn fights harder than any boy at school and Birdy Flynn Carries so many secrets too.
How the
Camilla Chester
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a strong, clear, distinct voice that flows throughout the book and doesn't once waiver. Completely believable.

Came at a just the right time in my own life, having just lost my mother and being a child of the 1980s this was a wonderful piece of nostalgia. Didn't guess at all until the book told me Birdy's gender and loved all the clearly drawn, full of life characters.

My only tiny niggle was that if it was aimed at teens (not quite sure if it is for adults/children) then the story itself was
Books.Paper.Mania
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
The start of this book was really weak, the language used or the way it's written as if you're addressing toddlers, so weak and so fragile. I didn't feel like I was reading an adult/young adult book.

The whole story is about the struggle of a girl who is trying to find out if she's really a boy or a girl, her mother stands by her side to find her way because she's confused but her father is against her being a boy and blames his wife's blood for his daughter being/turning like that.

I'm giving 2 s
Jasmine Scholz
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of 'the perks of being a wallflower', and 'love Simon'
I quite enjoyed this book. I found that I got through it very quickly because the story drew me in. The setting and the characters, where quite whimsical with enough villainy and treachery to keep me wanting more. I liked how the character of birdy was put together, some characters aren't so compelling though. I wanted to like gypsie girl, but I found it difficult. I wish we could have explored her story further. Overall, I am happy I picked up this book, I would suggest it to readers who like t ...more
Bex
The setting and atmosphere of this were fantastic, I found out a lot about times and experiences that I was unaware of before reading. Birdy was a great character too, although his identity was handled a bit clumsily at times. On the other hand, at times it was handled really well! From an own voices POV there's very little I can comment on- I think some parts were maybe not handled so well, but that's from my own non-experience, so to be taken in that light.
Alexandra Rohmann
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
honest post - i didn't finish it. the first chapter was so disturbing, i had to put it down... and i'm a dog person...
Sue Holmes
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, arc, young-adult, dnf
*Review copy received from the publisher.
Other than being totally freaked out by the terrible 'event' I just could not connect with the characters.
Paula -
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely not what I was expecting. But a great read!
It does have some adult and trigger warning content. If you want more info. Message me.
Pegaunimoose
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
ashortbooklover
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
It was good, but I got very confused with the plot.
Erin
4.5 (bordering maybe 5) ⭐s

I LOVED THIS SO MUCH OHMYGOD BIRDY IS SO PRECIOUS EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO HUG HIM 💜💜💜
Hannah
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like a 3.5 stars.

My problem was the ending. It was so abrupt and I would have liked more of a conclusion.
Sam
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good. Got more interesting and more engrossing as I read on.
Amy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
So when I heard about Birdy Flynn I was definitely interested in the premise of the book. It was something that I had not read about before and I was intrigued to read it. Birdy Flynn is a very unique story that goes places other YA books wouldn't dare and makes it a story well worth reading.

Before going into the actual review, I think that it is important to note that this book does deal with triggering topics such as child sexual abuse and the first scene is quite unsettling so warnings should
River
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Birdy Flynn follows a 12 year old girl (Birdy Flynn) growing up in 1982 London during the IRA bombings. The story starts out with the family cat being tortured by her group of male friends, and Birdy feels powerless to stop it. When the boys take off, she puts the cat out of her misery, and this secret tortures her throughout the novel.

Then there are more secrets. Because Birdy is taken advantage of by a teacher she once really liked, and Birdy doesn't feel quite like a girl should feel. She doe
Cups and Thoughts
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read my very first book on gender identity – and during the 80s too! The concept holds so much promise, but sadly I was very disappointed with the story and the way it was executed.

Donohoe has a way with words, no doubt. She is able to convey the emotions of the characters and you just can’t help but relate to them, but sometimes her writing can be a bit too pretentious.

Some of the events that happened in the story can be irrelevant to Birdy and the story (or the concept, in
Michelle
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: librarything
I received an Early Reviewers copy from LibraryThing of Birdy Flynn. I don't know how many times I have started and stopped this book, but I can't get past the cat. Maybe I should have realized it would be a big part of the story after reading the back cover, but I didn't. I finally forced myself through the torture and drowning (not a spoiler - it's on the back cover) and thought that would be it and I could keep reading. It wasn't and I couldn't. Really disappointed.
Kirsty
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finished this book last night, couldn't put it down so stayed up til the early hours to finish it. I have loved reading this book and have been busy recommending it to others.

The content wasn't initially what i expected it would be as I was hoping this would be something we could look at for our primary school library. I think with some of the scenes would definitely be more suited to the older side of the young adult market. However once I got over that expectation I really enjoyed reading it
Katy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, review-copy, ya
Release date : 05/09/17
I received an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I'm going to start this by saying this book is not my usual reading fare, so perhaps my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. In fact, because of this, my review is going to be a short one.

I wanted to like this book, I just didn't. The writing itself was decent. It was unique and yet still easy to grasp. The characters were written in a way that made them seem like living breathing people. Not just well wr
Tania
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful, real, complex and thought provoking read. Highly recommend it.
Barry Payne
I loved this book because of the way Birdy was able to cope with the everyday secrets she keeps inside her and still be aware of who she really is.
Gabriella

• Collateral Damage: A World War II Orphan: Lost and Found
  • Orthorexia: When Healthy Eating Goes Bad
  • A Dog's View of Love, Life, and Death
  • Sisters on Bread Street
  • Illustration that Works: Professional Techniques for Artistic and Commercial Success
  • Show Me, Sir
  • The Retirement Diaries
  • Bewilderments of the Eyes
  • Fire Heart (Broken Bottle, #2)
  • Treasure Hunt: Finding True Success Using Synchronicity, Dreams and Intuition
  • Dr. Tenace
  • The Charioteer of Rome
  • Clamming Up
  • Echoes From Afar
  • The Cancer Whisperer: How to Let Cancer Heal Your Life
  • ChangeSeekers: Finding Your Path to Impact
  • From the Blue
  • The Emperor's Silver (Agent of Rome #5)