Start by marking “Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess” as Want to Read:
Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess

Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess

Sixth grade is coming to an end, and so is life as Macy McMillan knows it. Already a For Sale sign mars the front lawn of her beloved house. Soon her mother will upend their little family, adding an unwelcome stepfather and pesky six-year-old twin stepsisters. To add insult to injury, what is Macy s final sixth grade assignment? A genealogy project. Well, she'll put it off ...more
Published May 15th 2017 by Pajama Press

To ask other readers questions about Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess

Start your review of Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
Alex Lyttle
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of my quest to write scathing reviews of all the other 2018 Silver Birch Nominees and win the award. A teacher once taught me to put other's candles out to make mine shine brighter... or something like that... I wasn't really listening.

So here it is, my list of things I hated about this book:

.....

.....

umm....

well, there was this one part.... but no... that part was actually quite wonderful too...

... maybe I could just make up a few things...

this is going to be harder tha
Lata
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story told in poetry of a girl dealing with a move to a new home, her mother marrying so Macy gains a new family, fighting with her best friend, finishing her last year at her middle school....so a bunch of things. While also making a new friend of her elderly neighbour. And learning a lot about being open to new experiences. Well written and sweet, though I did think Macy's change of heart was a little too quickly wrapped up near the end.
mindful.librarian ☀️
Perfect middle grade free verse! I am so excited to share this with my elementary and middle school students, as I am always talking up free verse, but can't find enough excellent examples to share with them. Macy's story is heartwarming and thought-provoking, and her relationship with her elderly neighbor is a wonderful one for kids to read about. I love their connection over baking and books - I especially loved the book references throughout the story, like to the books "El Deafo" and "The Ta ...more
Ms. B
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
8/4/20 Even better the second time. Macy learns the meaning of family as she and her mother prepare for Mom's upcoming Wedding to Alan.
6/18/19 Macy's mother is about to marry Alan. That means he will become Macy's stepdad and she will have younger twin sisters. Macy is less than excited about the new family dynamics. She is also on the outs with her friend Olivia. How could helping her neighbor Iris downsize as she prepares to move into in an assisted living facility possibly make a difference?
Wendy MacKnight
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
First things first: Shari Green is a fantastic writer. The way the words and images roll through the story are inspiring. And this story, about a young deaf girl whose life is changing thanks to her mother's decision to marry, is heartwarming and heartbreaking all at once. But the real gem here is Macy's relationship with her next-door-neighbour, a once vivacious woman who is soon to leave her home thanks to a diagnosis of early dementia. The relationship between Macy and Iris is real and true a ...more
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel really badly about rating this only three stars, especially since it is trending not only four stars, but five as well. And it isn't because the book isn't well written, it is, although in a weird, way, with almost blank verse like sentences, lower case, no punctuation. It took a little to get used to it. No, that wasn't why I'm rating it so low.

It is a pleasant enough story of a deaf girl whose mother is getting married, and moving into his house, and who doesn't want to move and lose he
Amanda Rawson Hill
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this story and it fully lives up to the magic, tenderness, and love of Green's first verse novel. Heartwarming and lovely. It's everything classic middle grade should be.
Dan
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Macy's story, and I am looking forward to discussing it more with colleagues at our summer book camp!
Amber
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the #kidlitexchange network for the free review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

I am a sucker for a book told in verse. I love how the phrasing is chosen with such precision in order to convey the exact feeling or message with minimal words. I love how the breaks in the lines force you to pause and hear the words in a way you don’t hear them when a book is written in standard prose. And Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess did exactly that.

As for the story itself, I lo
Jensen
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story. The main character is mainly dealing with the uncertainty of her mother's upcoming wedding and her stepfather and stepsisters. This will be relatable to so many young readers. She's also dealing with familiar friend problems and other issues of self-identity. I loved the way threads of gardening and baking and favorite books were woven through the verse to make it all feel fresh.
Kathie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‪I cannot tell you how much I ADORED Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess. The relationship between Iris and Macy, the beautiful way that books connected them, and the poetic language are just some of the qualities that made this one of my favorites of 2017.‬ In addition to being a wonderful story told in verse, the main character’s deafness adds a unique perspective, and would make this a valuable addition to classrooms.
Mary Lee
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything is changing for Macy. She lost her temper with her best friend and seems to have lost her friendship, her mother is getting married and she's not happy about losing her "team of two" family, and the neighbor next door, Iris (not the flower, the rainbow goddess), who she's just getting to know, is getting ready to move into an assisted living/nursing home. On top of all this, she's deaf (caused by meningitis when she was little) and she often finds herself left out of conversations.

I l
Christine
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Macy is a 6th grader who lost her hearing at about 3 years of age and is now dealing with having to move and accept a step-family. Her story is heartwarming and thought provoking, and I loved her relationship with her elderly neighbor. At first Macy is hesitant about going and helping her to pack her books as she moves to a nursing home but they connect through books and baking. There is book title dropping galore and I love when books refer to each other. I listened to this story and it was gre ...more
Casey Peel
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My niece recommended this book to me and I'm so glad she did. The story is equal parts heart breaking, heart warming, and entirely aspiring.

I was not expecting the writing to be prose, but it fit so perfectly with the story and read so naturally. As someone proficient in ASL the prose almost seemed to lend itself to the concept-based structure of ASL in some ways while still being perfectly readable English. Which is pretty much perfect as the narrator is a young deaf girl.

While this book is cle
Chris
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. As an adult, this book really spoke to me. Powerfully. It actually has many themes, but the strongest for me was the relationship that formed between the 11-year-old girl, Macy, and her elderly neighbor, Iris, – who ended up being the rainbow goddess of the title. It’s all about the value of our stories, our memories, our “family.” Since it’s written in verse, it didn’t take very long to read - and it was lovely. I’m going to want to read this one again.
Linda
I love this book. Macy is a great character who just happens to be hearing impaired. She is plucky and there is a great cast of supporting characters include her next door neighbor Iris. Winner of the Schneider Family Award. Give to fans of El Deafo.
Emily Von pfahl
Tugged at heartstrings left right and center. I also really want cookies now.
Amber Scaife
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Macy is unhappy that her mother is getting married. She doesn't want to move out of their house, losing her wildflower garden and the closeness of feeling that it's just her and her mother against the world. To make things worse, she gets in a fight with her best friend and so has no one to sympathize with her, until she finds a new friend in her elderly next-door neighbor, who teaches Macy the value of sending messages of love through the art of cookie baking.
The good things: I very much like t
Jennifer D
Alternative Assessment:
Rationale: Since this story is written in verse, I would want students to explore the genre of poetry by creating their own poem. While most students may be familiar with acrostics, or haikus, many might not know how to write a found poem. A found poem allows the reader to take words, lines or phrases from a certain part of a text (of their choosing) to then restructure and arrange them to create a new poem. This creative assessment will get readers thinking and reflecti
Joan
Denese Anderson
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel-in-verse
I love novels in verse and this one didn't disappoint. Macy doesn't want her mom to get remarried and doesn't want to sell her home to move in with her new father and his family. She's also had a falling out with her best friend, Olivia so her feelings are all over the place. When her mom volunteers her up to help her old, seemingly grouchy, neighbor named Iris, Macy discovers that people may not always be who they seem. Macy is an interesting character who loves gardening, reading, and is deaf. ...more
Jackie
An endearing story about life's changes, life's struggles, and life's joys. Macy is facing changes, big ones....friends moving on, a new step-family, and leaving her beloved neighborhood and backyard garden behind. Navigating these changes is difficult.

Luckily, Macy has found a kindred spirit (yes, the reference to Anne is intentional) in Iris, an elderly neighbor who is going through huge changes herself. They bond over cookies and stories. And, in the end, Macy finds a way to move on with gra
Niki
Sweet novel told in verse, "Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess" is a delightful middle grade novel. Macy has a lot going on in her life - her mother is about to marry; they are moving; she's been volunteered to help the elderly lady next door; she had a fight with her best friend... However, her plucky spirit and good heart help her see the good in others and come around to change.

Additionally, Macy lost her hearing at the age of four and, while on one hand I appreciate the diverse character
Kim Bahr
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story! Makes me want to bake some cookies!
Kate
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come
B
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blue-stems-2020
Fun quick read- I like how easy the verse was to read and how Macy came to some realizations by herself. The end wedding scene was ok- I don't think it was necessary to the story. The cookies sound so yummy..
Kelly
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much! A quick and sweet read.
This would have been 5 stars if not for the last minute subplot towards the end. It needed another round of editing.
Melissa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story about being a kid, and dealing with change. 11 yo girl POV, told in verse. I cried. Themes: family, stepfamilies, friendship, change, storytelling. I loved this.
Elena
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cute, I really liked the discussion of “stories” as a main recurring theme. I think this would be a great book to use in a classroom- the text is approachable for students of many levels, and written in a format that will be new for many students, while still conveying meaning that could inspire complex discussion.
Alyssa Gudenburr
Book 1 of my middle school reads that was chosen for winning the Schneider Family Book Award in 2018. This chapter book is written in free verse poetry and tells the story if a deaf 6th grade girl going through many changes. Moving out of her house, mom is getting married, a family of 2 will become 5 with two new sisters, and graduating from elementary school. During this crazy time Macy becomes friends with her senior neighbor who is also moving but to a nursing home. They bond over stories, bo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Great Treehouse War
  • I Love You, Michael Collins
  • Beauty and the Beak: How Science, Technology, and a 3D-Printed Beak Rescued a Bald Eagle
  • Because of the Rabbit
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Sled Dog School
  • Power Forward
  • Lost in the Pacific, 1942: Not a Drop to Drink
Shari Green writes middle grade and young adult fiction. She’s in love with stories and the sea, and can often be found curled up with a good book and a cup of tea, or wandering the beaches near her home on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.