Start by marking “Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess” as Want to Read:
Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess

Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  502 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Sixth grade is coming to an end, and so is life as Macy McMillan knows it. Already a For Sale sign mars the front lawn of her beloved house. Soon her mother will upend their little family, adding an unwelcome stepfather and pesky six-year-old twin stepsisters. To add insult to injury, what is Macy s final sixth grade assignment? A genealogy project. Well, she'll put it off ...more
Published May 15th 2017 by Pajama Press

To ask other readers questions about Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess

Alex Lyttle
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of my quest to write scathing reviews of all the other 2018 Silver Birch Nominees and win the award. A teacher once taught me to put other's candles out to make mine shine brighter... or something like that... I wasn't really listening.

So here it is, my list of things I hated about this book:

.....

.....

umm....

well, there was this one part.... but no... that part was actually quite wonderful too...

... maybe I could just make up a few things...

this is going to be harder tha
Lata
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story told in poetry of a girl dealing with a move to a new home, her mother marrying so Macy gains a new family, fighting with her best friend, finishing her last year at her middle school....so a bunch of things. While also making a new friend of her elderly neighbour. And learning a lot about being open to new experiences. Well written and sweet, though I did think Macy's change of heart was a little too quickly wrapped up near the end.
Kate Olson
Perfect middle grade free verse! I am so excited to share this with my elementary and middle school students, as I am always talking up free verse, but can't find enough excellent examples to share with them. Macy's story is heartwarming and thought-provoking, and her relationship with her elderly neighbor is a wonderful one for kids to read about. I love their connection over baking and books - I especially loved the book references throughout the story, like to the books "El Deafo" and "The Ta ...more
Wendy MacKnight
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
First things first: Shari Green is a fantastic writer. The way the words and images roll through the story are inspiring. And this story, about a young deaf girl whose life is changing thanks to her mother's decision to marry, is heartwarming and heartbreaking all at once. But the real gem here is Macy's relationship with her next-door-neighbour, a once vivacious woman who is soon to leave her home thanks to a diagnosis of early dementia. The relationship between Macy and Iris is real and true a ...more
Amanda Rawson Hill
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this story and it fully lives up to the magic, tenderness, and love of Green's first verse novel. Heartwarming and lovely. It's everything classic middle grade should be.
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel really badly about rating this only three stars, especially since it is trending not only four stars, but five as well. And it isn't because the book isn't well written, it is, although in a weird, way, with almost blank verse like sentences, lower case, no punctuation. It took a little to get used to it. No, that wasn't why I'm rating it so low.

It is a pleasant enough story of a deaf girl whose mother is getting married, and moving into his house, and who doesn't want to move and lose he
Dan
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Macy's story, and I am looking forward to discussing it more with colleagues at our summer book camp!
Amber
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the #kidlitexchange network for the free review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

I am a sucker for a book told in verse. I love how the phrasing is chosen with such precision in order to convey the exact feeling or message with minimal words. I love how the breaks in the lines force you to pause and hear the words in a way you don’t hear them when a book is written in standard prose. And Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess did exactly that.

As for the story itself, I lo
Jensen
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story. The main character is mainly dealing with the uncertainty of her mother's upcoming wedding and her stepfather and stepsisters. This will be relatable to so many young readers. She's also dealing with familiar friend problems and other issues of self-identity. I loved the way threads of gardening and baking and favorite books were woven through the verse to make it all feel fresh.
Kathie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot tell you how much I ADORED Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess. The relationship between Iris and Macy, the beautiful way that books connected them, and the poetic language are just some of the qualities that made this one of my favorites of 2017. In addition to being a wonderful story told in verse, the main character’s deafness adds a unique perspective, and would make this a valuable addition to classrooms. ...more
Mary Lee
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything is changing for Macy. She lost her temper with her best friend and seems to have lost her friendship, her mother is getting married and she's not happy about losing her "team of two" family, and the neighbor next door, Iris (not the flower, the rainbow goddess), who she's just getting to know, is getting ready to move into an assisted living/nursing home. On top of all this, she's deaf (caused by meningitis when she was little) and she often finds herself left out of conversations.

I l
Sarah Sammis
Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess by Shari Green is a novel in freeform poetry about a girl trying to come to terms with the big changes in her life. Big changes coming: a new school at the end of sixth grade, a new house, a step dad, and step-siblings (twins).

When Macy refuses to pack her own things, her mother sends her next door to help her neighbor sort and pack her books. It's through her interactions with Iris that we get to learn the most about Macy.

Amber Scaife
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Macy is unhappy that her mother is getting married. She doesn't want to move out of their house, losing her wildflower garden and the closeness of feeling that it's just her and her mother against the world. To make things worse, she gets in a fight with her best friend and so has no one to sympathize with her, until she finds a new friend in her elderly next-door neighbor, who teaches Macy the value of sending messages of love through the art of cookie baking.
The good things: I very much like t
Joan
Chris
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. As an adult, this book really spoke to me. Powerfully. It actually has many themes, but the strongest for me was the relationship that formed between the 11-year-old girl, Macy, and her elderly neighbor, Iris, – who ended up being the rainbow goddess of the title. It’s all about the value of our stories, our memories, our “family.” Since it’s written in verse, it didn’t take very long to read - and it was lovely. I’m going to want to read this one again.
Niki
Sweet novel told in verse, "Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess" is a delightful middle grade novel. Macy has a lot going on in her life - her mother is about to marry; they are moving; she's been volunteered to help the elderly lady next door; she had a fight with her best friend... However, her plucky spirit and good heart help her see the good in others and come around to change.

Additionally, Macy lost her hearing at the age of four and, while on one hand I appreciate the diverse character
Kim Bahr
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story! Makes me want to bake some cookies!
Emily Von pfahl
Tugged at heartstrings left right and center. I also really want cookies now.
Xiwen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Green, Shari Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess, 234 pages. Pajama Press, 2017. $10 Language: G (0 swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

It’s the end of sixth grade and 12-year-old Macy’s world is falling apart. She is in a fight with her best friend Olivia, who is the only one to really speak sign with deaf Macy, and with a genealogy project due at the end of the year, Macy is forced to work alone. Her mother is about to get married, and this means there is a horrible For Sale sign
Susan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Thank you to @Kidlit Exchange for telling me about this great new title!

Macy, who has been deaf since she had meningitis when she was four, is facing many challenges as she finishes up sixth grade. Her mom is getting married, they are preparing to move in with her new stepfather and his six year old twin girls, she isn’t speaking to her best friend, her mom is insisting she help with both the wedding AND her elderly neighbor’s moving preparations and she has a final sixth grade genealogy assignm
Jen Petro-Roy
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely follow up to her debut.
Becky
First sentence: Our house on Pemberton Street with the red front door wildflower garden out back window seat just right for reading has a For Sale sign jammed in the front lawn. It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Premise/plot: Macy McMillan is the heroine of Shari Green's new free verse novel for middle grade readers. What we know about the heroine: a) she hates the fact her mom is getting married; it's always been just the two of them; b) she is frustrated by her school assignment of doing a
AlexandraM
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written in beautiful free verse, this 2018 winner of the Schnieder Family Book Award for a Middle School Book is a piece of inclusion literature that needs to be on every teacher's list. Macy McMillan's deafness is intricately woven into this story of friendship.

Sixth-grader Macy McMillan's mother is remarrying, they are selling their home, she is about to acquire two annoying six-year old step-sisters and she isn't speaking (or signing) to her best friend, Olivia. The final project at school--
Blair Stewart
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-11-20
Summary: A young girl, Macy McMillian, is coming to the end of sixth grade and she gets her life thrown upside down with a new house, new additions to the family and not to mention, the inability to hear. Sign language is her primary form of communication, and her new best friend, Mrs. Iris, the older lady next door that is getting ready to move into the retirement home in town, does not know how to sign to her. But that does not get in their way. Mrs. Iris is full of stories and is determined t ...more
Storywraps
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Macy McMillan is a lovely little girl, who is deaf. She faces some tough life-changing challenges in her very near future. She loves her home but it has a huge For Sale Sign on the front lawn due to the fact that her mom is getting re-married. They will be moving out to live with a brand new step-dad and his two rambunctious six-year-old twin girls.

Her sixth grade school year is terminating and she and her best friend Olivia have had a huge blow-up. Her teacher, Mr. Tanaka, has assigned as the
Sally
Novel in verse means short 'chapters' and a possibly fast read.

A great line on the first page:

such
luck.

This is one of those books that has some very poignant moments that I hope on lost on the intended audience.

Macy is deaf and signs. She has moments of rage, one which causes a rip with her bestest friend. Macy and her mom are also moving - Macy's mom is getting married and Macy has to leave the home she loves. As she avoids packing, her mom sends her next door to help Iris back her books. Ir
Jamie Steckler
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: verse, nonfiction
The title of this book is what sparked me to read it. I immediately thought of rainbows which to me are bright and happy- so why not read a happy book. This story is written in verse and is about an almost-seventh-grade deaf girl who must create a family tree as a project for class. Not only does she not know what to do for her project, but her mom is getting re-married, they are moving houses, and Macy has to help her eighty-six-year-old neighbor, Iris, sort things into boxes for her big move t ...more
Kimberly
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner —— All opinions are my own.

Being a part of the #kidlitexchange has introduced me to and ignited a new love for books written in verse. This one just might be one of my favs and one that I will definitely be buying for our home library. It’s heartwarming and full of so many wonderful lessons.

Macy is a fantastic main character. She’s dealing with some new changes in her home life. Her mother is about to remarry, her home is for sale and she is about to inherit a new step
Shari Green writes middle grade and young adult fiction. She’s in love with stories and the sea, and can often be found curled up with a good book and a cup of tea, or wandering the beaches near her home on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.
“Who knew a person could taste lies?” 1 likes