Start by marking “Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss” as Want to Read:

Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss

Expecting Sunshine is a multi-award-winning memoir and a Kirkus Review BEST INDIE BOOK of 2017

Anyone who has experienced—or knows someone who has experienced—miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth, or other forms of pregnancy and baby loss should read Expecting Sunshine, including those considering or already pregnant again.

After her son, Zachary, dies in her arms at b
Paperback, First Edition, 256 pages
Published April 18th 2017 by She Writes Press

Win a Copy of This Book

• Expecting Sunshine by Alexis Marie Chute
    Release date: May 21, 2019
    If you enjoy Eat Pray Love and Wild, you will find the same triumph over heartache and resounding joy in Expecting Sunshine, the bestselling award-win ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 610 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 23 - May 22, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Expecting Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expecting Sunshine

Alexis Chute
    Apr 05, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    INDIEREADER REVIEW:

Verdict: EXPECTING SUNSHINE is an invaluable resource for those dealing with loss, as well as a beautifully-told story of grief, hope, healing and love.

5.0 STAR RATING

Alexis Marie Chute and her husband Aaron lost their second child, their son Zachary, minutes after his birth due to a heart condition called Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. For a year, Chute descended into what she calls her “Year of Distraction,” in which she was unable to function or focus for grief. On emerging fr
    Jaclyn
    Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    It only took one page for me to be swept into Alexis Marie's story; I could not put this book down. Expecting Sunshine is an insightful read for anyone walking alongside a family member or friend experiencing a significant loss. It offers a window into the internal workings of the grieving process and a reminder that much of life happens away from the public eye. Your heart will beat with compassion and you will be pulling for Alexis Marie to discover true healing as you follow her journey.
    Jessica Fillmore
    Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Alexis Marie has experienced a great loss that has effected every aspect of her mind, body and soul. It is her story about the challenges she faces with herself, her family and her friends. She distracts herself from her feelings, emotions and misery. Until she comes to the realization that she needs to come head to head with her grief. She realized she needed to face her overwhelming fears, anxiety and sorrow in order to heal.

Alexis Marie does a great job including the reader in her book. It m
    Robert Duke
    Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Expecting Sunshine was recommended to me by my wife. It isn't normally the type of book I would pick up, but I am so glad I did. It is a thoughtful and engaging look at the impact of the loss of a child on a young family. You take an emotional journey through their grief and recovery which is also humorous at times and uplifting throughout. You will find yourself cheering for this family. A good read for anyone.
    Margie Timmermans
    Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Expecting Sunshine by Alexis Marie Chute is a wonderful memoir written by a mourning mother. This book is raw and honest. It is brave and beautifully written. Alexis Marie has managed to record her story in a way that will speak to every man and women who has ever become or wanted to become a parent. While reading this book I cried, and laughed a little, but mostly felt truly inspired by her strength and ability to grow out of tragedy. A must read!
    Candace Forget
    Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    One early morning while my husband drove me to work I took the opportunity to begin reading my new book Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss by Alexis Marie Chute. Eagerly I dived into the prologue entitled “Conception”. Instantly I was pulled into the world of Alexis Marie, nearly a year following the loss of her second child Zachary, struggling to finish her last photography job in her “Year of Distraction” without succumbing to her grief. By the end of thi ...more
    Allen Patterson
    Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
    I was hoping for more. I know several couples who have lost their baby and I was hoping to be able to recommend this book to them. Not going to happen. Most of my friends are conservative Christians and would not care to read her f-bombs and her blasphemous attitude towards God.
    Loobyz
    Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Absolutely loved it.. thankgod for some light humour and it not all being over emotional. Wasnt expecting to like it as much as i did.
    Kayo
    Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    What a sad but sweet book. Great job!
    Charlotte Robb
    Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    This is a well written book that is at times sad but also funny and inspirational. Follow Alexis through her emotional journey of mourning the loss of one baby while expecting another. Gain insights into the perspectives of loss and love through the eyes of her young daughter Hannah, her troubled but resolute husband Aaron and the interesting personalities of her family and those she encountered in her journey through grief to find healing and happiness. A compassionate companion for those who h ...more
    Kara Kempin
    Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    This is a fantastic read. Though the story is about loss the book is not sad as may be expected, it is actual full of love. I highly recommend this book.
    Tania Kliphuis
    Expecting Sunshine is very raw and real. Alexis Marie is unflinchingly honest about her own raw pain, as well as the massive impact losing a baby has on a marriage - particularly (and especially) when each person deals with their pain in different ways.

To be honest, I did not find Expecting Sunshine to be as helpful for me, or as relatable for me, as An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination. Perhaps it's because Alexis Marie struggles with her faith quite a bit throughout Expecting Sunshi
    Lindsey
    Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    One of the best books I've ever read that focuses specifically on pregnancy after the loss of a baby. Alexis' imagery and prose is beautiful and the way she moves week by week through her pregnancy after losing her son is super relatable. It's so honest and tender that I couldn't put down!
    Alexis
    Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2017
    Alexis Marie Chute deserves to be lauded for sharing her intense story of pregnancy, grief, motherhood, loss and loss of faith. I hope that this book ends up in the hands of someone who really needs it.

Some parts were very candid, and in others, I could feel the pain. I had some questions for her after I finished reading the book, but that's to be expected.
    Marie McWilliams
    Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
    From the first page, Chute’s ability and talent as a writer is evident. She has an incredible way with language, not only perfectly describing the feeling she is attempting to convey or present the image she is attempting to conjure, but doing so in a linguistically beautiful way. You can tell she is an artist: this book is her canvas, and each word is a masterful brush stroke. Chute deals with some incredibly large and complex emotions, but presents them in a relatable way. As you read, you fee ...more
    Reader Views
    Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Reviewed by Christine Watson for Reader Views (1/18)

“Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss” by Alexis Marie Chute is an honest look at the myriad of emotions this author experienced through pregnancy, loss and pregnancy again. The raw details of her life are put on display in this book, which can bring healing for her, and hope for others in a similar situation.

The author brings to life her year of distraction in haunting detail as she relives in her mind all
    Michelle Arredondo
    Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Such a beautiful, poignant, engaging read. Box of tissues ready...the title alone is enough to expect something emotional from this.

I absolutely love the cover. As the title gives us a first glimpse at something that will be a struggle to get through because of it's serious, personal, emotional, difficult...the umbrella, the colors, the background...also gives us an idea of hope...maybe a positive outcome, maybe just something that gives insight past the trauma.

Such rawness, such honesty, so m
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    On my blog, I have talked about how pregnancy is never the same for someone who has suffered a pregnancy loss. Alexis Marie Chute wrote a book about her journey through grief while being pregnant again after the devastating loss of her son, Zachery, shortly after he was born.

Week by week, she describes her feelings and challenges while she tentatively anticipates her second son. She bravely describes the emotions women feel after miscarriage or loss.

Expecting Sunshine may not be for everyone, bu
    Susan Bazzett-Griffith
    Kathleen Rhodes
    Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A few days after I found out I miscarried, just before my D&C, I went to Barnes & Noble in hopes of finding a guidebook or self-help book of how to heal and cope with miscarriage or loss of a child. I searched every feasible location: self-help, psychology, family planning, childcare. With tears in my eyes I was too embarrassed to ask anyone at the counter for help. There I was already utterly heartbroken and feeling more alone than ever. Not a single book for me to turn to. I pulled out ...more
    Ron Gallacher
    May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    I appreciated the raw honesty in this book. Any parent who has had a child die will understand the challenge to continue to live in this world of after. And the problems between husband and wife as we struggle to grieve differently. Or the anxiety and helplessness we feel, especially for our surviving children, in a world where nothing is certain. One of my favorite quotes - “Certainty followed my child to the grave.”

Ignore the end of year lists on all the book sites. This is one of the best me
    manatee
    Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
    A very moving and captivating story.
    Alexis Marie Chute is a talented artist who uses colorful, lush descriptions to draw the reader in to the story.
    She also does a wonderful job of painting a portrait of her husband and children by using strong, authentic dialogue.

We go on this journey of loss and hope with her, but she makes it clear that there are no easy answers.
    I also like the fact that she talked about exploring religion and how she did not necessarily find what she was looking for at
    Deb Brandon
    Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    I was afraid to read this book. I'm not sure why, though I have my suspicions. I'm not sure why I decided to read it after all, but I'm so glad I did. So beautifully written, it was a real page turner. The author conveyed her emotions and the rhythm of her life through her third pregnancy brilliantly. I felt with her, her fears, anger, frustration and grief. And I finished the book feeling at peace. It felt perfect.
    Bronwyn
    Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: parenting, memoir
    Moving, but a little too verbose and reliant on descriptions of season and weather. I tend to like sparser prose and a touch of dark humour. Elizabeth McCracken’s stillbirth memoir ruined me for all others.
    Peggy Rector
    Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
    A wonderful telling of the life around the loss of an unborn child. Excellent read and uplifting final chapter!
    Jeannette Griston
    rated it it was ok
    Jan 02, 2019
    Catherine A Irvine
    rated it did not like it
    Jan 27, 2018
    • A Tomb for Anatole: Poetry
    • Love, Mom: A Mother's Journey From Loss to Hope
    • Breathe: A Memoir of Motherhood, Grief, and Family Conflict
    • Vessels: A Love Story
    • This Is How We Grow: A Psychologist's Memoir of Loss, Motherhood, & Discovering Self-worth and Joy, One Season at a Time
    • Gone
    • Bearing the Unbearable: Love, Loss, and the Heartbreaking Path of Grief
    • Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby
    • The $60,000 Dog: My Life with Animals
    • Heaven's Child, A true story of family, friends, and strangers
    • Baby Dust
    • Treny
    • Holding Silvan: A Brief Life
    • The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
    • Growing Up in Heaven: The Eternal Connection Between Parent and Child
    • World on a String
    • The Angel in My Pocket: A Story of Love, Loss, and Life After Death
    Alexis Marie Chute is an award-winning artist, author, photographer, and filmmaker. Her debut memoir, Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing and Pregnancy After Loss, was released by She Writes Press in 2017, accompanied by the feature documentary. Chute has been published in PhotoEd, WestWord, Mind Body Green, Savvy Mom, Today’s Parent, Vie, The Bellingham Review, Edmonton ...more