Start by marking “Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss, 1st Edition” as Want to Read:

Expecting Sunshine is a multi-award-winning memoir and a Kirkus Review BEST INDIE BOOK of 2017

Anyone who has experienced—or knows someone who has experienced—miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth, or other forms of pregnancy and baby loss should read Expecting Sunshine, including those considering or already pregnant again.

After her son, Zachary, dies in her arms at b
Paperback, First Edition, 224 pages
Published April 18th 2017 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about Expecting Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expecting Sunshine

Start your review of Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss, 1st Edition
Joe Krakovsky
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received my signed copy from Alexis Marie Chute of the second edition as part of a giveaway. Here is my review, from a guy's perspective.

Let me start by saying that I didn't read the jacket cover, nor any of the praise listed inside, for I wanted to form my own honest and uninfluenced opinion. So what was my first impression? In all honesty, I became mildly annoyed from the repeated agony of the author's loss of her child at birth. After all, she had another child and loving husband. But in al
Julie Haigh
Heartbreak, heartwarming, hope and happiness too.

I enjoyed this inspiring memoir by Alexis Marie Chute. Alexis and Aaron have a baby daughter, Hannah, at the start of the book. Their second child, Zachary, had originally been due December 2010. Routine prenatal tests revealed there were very serious problems. Zac was born early at 30 weeks. He passed away just moments later.

Heartbreaking. And the struggles trying to get pregnant again. Will there me more obstacles and heartache ahead? Very sad
Alexis Chute
Apr 05, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
INDIEREADER REVIEW:

Verdict: EXPECTING SUNSHINE is an invaluable resource for those dealing with loss, as well as a beautifully-told story of grief, hope, healing and love.

5.0 STAR RATING

Alexis Marie Chute and her husband Aaron lost their second child, their son Zachary, minutes after his birth due to a heart condition called Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. For a year, Chute descended into what she calls her “Year of Distraction,” in which she was unable to function or focus for grief. On emerging f
Jaclyn
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It only took one page for me to be swept into Alexis Marie's story; I could not put this book down. Expecting Sunshine is an insightful read for anyone walking alongside a family member or friend experiencing a significant loss. It offers a window into the internal workings of the grieving process and a reminder that much of life happens away from the public eye. Your heart will beat with compassion and you will be pulling for Alexis Marie to discover true healing as you follow her journey.
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been pregnant so I have not experienced a loss. Although, readers like me can and could say we can relate and understand what author, Alexis went through; it would not be fair to really say this. Unless you have actually had a miscarriage, I don't think you can fully understand. However, readers like me do get a glimpse into this tragic event. If for nothing else; we can have more patience and acceptance to allow someone grieving to grieve in their own way and not try to fit everyon ...more
Jessica Fillmore
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alexis Marie has experienced a great loss that has effected every aspect of her mind, body and soul. It is her story about the challenges she faces with herself, her family and her friends. She distracts herself from her feelings, emotions and misery. Until she comes to the realization that she needs to come head to head with her grief. She realized she needed to face her overwhelming fears, anxiety and sorrow in order to heal.

Alexis Marie does a great job including the reader in her book. It m
Robert Duke
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Expecting Sunshine was recommended to me by my wife. It isn't normally the type of book I would pick up, but I am so glad I did. It is a thoughtful and engaging look at the impact of the loss of a child on a young family. You take an emotional journey through their grief and recovery which is also humorous at times and uplifting throughout. You will find yourself cheering for this family. A good read for anyone.
Margie Timmermans
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Expecting Sunshine by Alexis Marie Chute is a wonderful memoir written by a mourning mother. This book is raw and honest. It is brave and beautifully written. Alexis Marie has managed to record her story in a way that will speak to every man and women who has ever become or wanted to become a parent. While reading this book I cried, and laughed a little, but mostly felt truly inspired by her strength and ability to grow out of tragedy. A must read!
Loobyz
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it.. thankgod for some light humour and it not all being over emotional. Wasnt expecting to like it as much as i did.
Candace Forget
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One early morning while my husband drove me to work I took the opportunity to begin reading my new book Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss by Alexis Marie Chute. Eagerly I dived into the prologue entitled “Conception”. Instantly I was pulled into the world of Alexis Marie, nearly a year following the loss of her second child Zachary, struggling to finish her last photography job in her “Year of Distraction” without succumbing to her grief. By the end of thi ...more
Allen Patterson
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was hoping for more. I know several couples who have lost their baby and I was hoping to be able to recommend this book to them. Not going to happen. Most of my friends are conservative Christians and would not care to read her f-bombs and her blasphemous attitude towards God.
Kayo
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sad but sweet book. Great job!
Karen Whittard
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book. Really moving. Make sure that you have tissues to hand. It is a book that all women can relate to on many different levels. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you.
Charlotte Robb
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book that is at times sad but also funny and inspirational. Follow Alexis through her emotional journey of mourning the loss of one baby while expecting another. Gain insights into the perspectives of loss and love through the eyes of her young daughter Hannah, her troubled but resolute husband Aaron and the interesting personalities of her family and those she encountered in her journey through grief to find healing and happiness. A compassionate companion for those who h ...more
Kara Kempin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read. Though the story is about loss the book is not sad as may be expected, it is actual full of love. I highly recommend this book.
Tania Kliphuis
Expecting Sunshine is very raw and real. Alexis Marie is unflinchingly honest about her own raw pain, as well as the massive impact losing a baby has on a marriage - particularly (and especially) when each person deals with their pain in different ways.

To be honest, I did not find Expecting Sunshine to be as helpful for me, or as relatable for me, as An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination. Perhaps it's because Alexis Marie struggles with her faith quite a bit throughout Expecting Sunshi
Lindsey
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read that focuses specifically on pregnancy after the loss of a baby. Alexis' imagery and prose is beautiful and the way she moves week by week through her pregnancy after losing her son is super relatable. It's so honest and tender that I couldn't put down!
Kathleen Rhodes
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A few days after I found out I miscarried, just before my D&C, I went to Barnes & Noble in hopes of finding a guidebook or self-help book of how to heal and cope with miscarriage or loss of a child. I searched every feasible location: self-help, psychology, family planning, childcare. With tears in my eyes I was too embarrassed to ask anyone at the counter for help. There I was already utterly heartbroken and feeling more alone than ever. Not a single book for me to turn to. I pulled out my phon ...more
Alexis
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Alexis Marie Chute deserves to be lauded for sharing her intense story of pregnancy, grief, motherhood, loss and loss of faith. I hope that this book ends up in the hands of someone who really needs it.

Some parts were very candid, and in others, I could feel the pain. I had some questions for her after I finished reading the book, but that's to be expected.
Marie McWilliams
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the first page, Chute’s ability and talent as a writer is evident. She has an incredible way with language, not only perfectly describing the feeling she is attempting to convey or present the image she is attempting to conjure, but doing so in a linguistically beautiful way. You can tell she is an artist: this book is her canvas, and each word is a masterful brush stroke. Chute deals with some incredibly large and complex emotions, but presents them in a relatable way. As you read, you fee ...more
Reader Views
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Christine Watson for Reader Views (1/18)

“Expecting Sunshine: A Journey of Grief, Healing, and Pregnancy After Loss” by Alexis Marie Chute is an honest look at the myriad of emotions this author experienced through pregnancy, loss and pregnancy again. The raw details of her life are put on display in this book, which can bring healing for her, and hope for others in a similar situation.

The author brings to life her year of distraction in haunting detail as she relives in her mind all
Michelle Arredondo
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful, poignant, engaging read. Box of tissues ready...the title alone is enough to expect something emotional from this.

I absolutely love the cover. As the title gives us a first glimpse at something that will be a struggle to get through because of it's serious, personal, emotional, difficult...the umbrella, the colors, the background...also gives us an idea of hope...maybe a positive outcome, maybe just something that gives insight past the trauma.

Such rawness, such honesty, so m
Susan
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexis Marie Chute and her husband, Aaron, lose their son at his birth, from a rare chromosome mutation that caused tumors to form all over his body, and in his heart, especially, while in uterine. They already had a young daughter, Hannah, and their grief is both unimaginable and and heart-wrenching.

Expecting Sunshine chronicles their experience with a third pregnancy, week by gestational week. In it, Alexis Marie describes in beautiful detail both the grief Sha and Aaron experience, how differ
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
On my blog, I have talked about how pregnancy is never the same for someone who has suffered a pregnancy loss. Alexis Marie Chute wrote a book about her journey through grief while being pregnant again after the devastating loss of her son, Zachery, shortly after he was born.

Week by week, she describes her feelings and challenges while she tentatively anticipates her second son. She bravely describes the emotions women feel after miscarriage or loss.

Expecting Sunshine may not be for everyone, bu
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
Heather
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since I am also pregnant after a loss, I wanted to read the experiences of some others and see if I found any commonalities.

I braced myself for this book to be overly positive, but was pleasantly surprised at Chute's candidness about her grief and how her new pregnancy did not fix the fact that her son had died.

There were several things I could identify with--feeling triggered by the death date on random things like food expiration dates, feeling disconnected from my faith and annoyed or upset a
Ron Gallacher
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I appreciated the raw honesty in this book. Any parent who has had a child die will understand the challenge to continue to live in this world of after. And the problems between husband and wife as we struggle to grieve differently. Or the anxiety and helplessness we feel, especially for our surviving children, in a world where nothing is certain. One of my favorite quotes - “Certainty followed my child to the grave.”

Ignore the end of year lists on all the book sites. This is one of the best me
manatee
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very moving and captivating story.
Alexis Marie Chute is a talented artist who uses colorful, lush descriptions to draw the reader in to the story.
She also does a wonderful job of painting a portrait of her husband and children by using strong, authentic dialogue.

We go on this journey of loss and hope with her, but she makes it clear that there are no easy answers.
I also like the fact that she talked about exploring religion and how she did not necessarily find what she was looking for at
Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This author very bravely released her heart into the world and I applaud her for doing so. I have long been emotionally invested in this topic after suffering three miscarriages. While pregnancy loss can take different forms and different grieving processes, they all leave scars. Alexis Marie Chute wrote a fast paced account of her third pregnancy, which came about a year after her son died at 30 weeks gestation due to a rare genetic condition. She writes in short segments that correspond with e ...more

• Joy at the End of the Rainbow: A Guide for Pregnancy After a Loss
  • It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
  • An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination
  • Swipe Right for a Cowboy (Riverrun Ranch, #1)
  • Celebrating Pregnancy Again
  • Situation Room (Luke Stone #3)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Greatest Gift
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • When Bad Things Happen in Good Bikinis: Life After Death and a Dog Called Boris
  • A Journey without a Map: Stories of Loss, Grief, and Moving Forward
  • Languages of Loss
  • The Summer Cottage
  • The Yellow Bird Sings
  • Birth Without Fear: The Judgment-Free Guide to Taking Charge of Your Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
  • Who (Stalker, #1)
  • You Can Run But You Can't Hide
Alexis Marie Chute is an award-winning artist, author, photographer, art curator, and filmmaker. She has received over 40 noteworthy distinctions for her visual and literary work.

Her award-winning fantasy series The 8th Island Trilogy includes, Above the Star, Below the Moon, and Inside the Sun. The series has been described as “A WRINKLE IN TIME meets THE