Start by marking “The Long Way Home” as Want to Read:
The Long Way Home

The Long Way Home

Set in the turbulent times of the War of Independence, 'The Long Way Home' follows the lives of Thomas Peters and Murphy Steele who are friends, former slaves, fellows-in-arms and leaders of the Black Brigade. Their real-life story is an epic adventure tale as they battle bounty hunters, racism, poverty and epidemic in their adopted country after the war.

'The L
Published September 15th 2016 by Fireship Press

To ask other readers questions about The Long Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Way Home

Start your review of The Long Way Home
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Thomas Peters and Murphy Steele are plantation slaves in the late 1700’s. A friendship develops as they devised ways to escape their enslavement. Each failed attempt leads to dire consequences but they never give up. Their perseverance pays off when they finally escape to a different life.

Their journey brings them to the British when they join the fight against the American Revolution. They were lured to serve under the promise of freedom and land. Thomas and Murphy are successful as
Marlene
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

History is generally written by the victors. In the case of the American Revolution, that means that the successfully rebelling colonials wrote all the history books, and the British officials and those who were loyal to them end up as footnotes in a history that conveniently ignores their courage and bravery.

Just because they were on the wrong side of history does not mean that they did not exhibit those qualities. Even if that fact is not co
Amy’s Booket List
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Find more at www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

My Thoughts...

In a very unoriginal fashion, I have become something of an Independence War enthusiast since seeing Hamilton. I know, I know, it’s not necessarily a new phenomenon, but alas, I am a little obsessed with both. So, when I was offered the chance to review this book, I knew I couldn’t pass it up.

I have never been similarly torn when reading a book. With the Black Brigade fighting on the side of the British, I was simultaneously rooting for
Carly
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The Long Way Home tells the story of Thomas Peters and Murphy Steele. They are bonded as brothers, former slaves, and leaders of the Black Brigade. At the beginning of the novel they try many times to escape their servitude, only to be brought back and whipped. Nothing seems to deter them, despite the numerous dangers at risk. This shows not only their naivety, but also their belief in a better world.

What follows are the next few years as they escape and find themselves immersed in t
A Holland Reads
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a very thought provoking adventure. It would be hard to imagine what these guys had to go through. Trying to find a better way of life only to be thrown back into a place again. The author did a good job of developing the characters which were actual real people and what they went through trying to find freedom. He really did his research and it comes out in the details. There are times you are on the edge of your seat hoping that Thomas and Murphy can just escape the dan ...more
Stephanie
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Thomas and Murphy are slaves toiling away on a southern farm in the late 1700's. Both want something more of their lives and itch for freedom. However, they have vastly different personalities. Thomas is mature, patient and a long-term thinker. He was from a ruling family in his former land and held slaves of his own. Murphy was born in the New World and is quick to act, ferociously strong and lives in the moment. Together, they try several times to escape their bonds and fail. That is, until un
Patty
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is, at it’s heart the story of two friends. The men are slaves at the time just before the Revolutionary War. They share much in the lead up to the beginning of the battles but as the war breaks out they runaway to join the British where they have heard that they will be freed if the Redcoats win.

We all know how the war resolved so our heroes went North to Nova Scotia with promises of land and freedom. They get there and as one can expect all is not as was promised but they work
Sharon
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tours, 2018
In an impetuous spur of the moment a young Murphy Steele runs with Thomas Peters in an attempt to escape their slave owner. Naivety and lack of planning result in their speedy recapture and sadistic scarring punishment. Quietly seething with resentment and vengeful notions Murphy is obsessed with murder and escape. He has become a frighteningly dangerous, powerfully strong brooding young man. Quite the reverse in attitude has happened to Thomas, now he wants to stay out of trouble and live as sa ...more
Margaret
Thomas and Murphy are friends, former slaves and real hstorical figures during the War of Independence, the late 1700's. While I have read books on slaves that escaped, were captured or eluded capture this is my first time reading about slaves that have gone on to fight with/for the British.

It was a hard life for slaves and even harder for those who tried to escape. The author did a great job in developing not just the characters but the era as well. Thomas and Murphy are very likabl
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Murphy Steele and Thomas Peters were slaves in the United States and were ready for a new life so they join the fight for Independence, but on the British side with hopes and promises. After fighting and surviving they are promised land and such for them and their families if they move far from their homes, so they go and the adventure begins.

As always with historical fiction books, I enjoy when I learn something that I didn'
Vicky
Dec 18, 2017
Caitlynmichele
Jan 25, 2019
Patrick
rated it did not like it
May 19, 2019
Dec 10, 2017
Csfreaney
Dec 10, 2017
Kevin Bannister
Dec 11, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Elisha
Darlene Golbitz
Jan 01, 2019
Kat
Jan 02, 2019
Kevin Bannister is an author and rancher living in the beautiful foothills of Alberta, Canada. He is a former journalist, editor and business executive. He is currently working on a sequel to The Long Way Home.