Start by marking “In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors, #1)

In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors #1)

3.13  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
When a troubleshooter for a society of magic users rescues a private investigator from a dark spell, she finds more than an ally as she faces down her former mentor.

Ryne is a magical troubleshooter, sworn to protect the innocent from being harmed by magic--and she's been chasing Anise, her former mentor, for six years.

Deke is a private investigator who knows something key
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Tor Paranormal Romance

To ask other readers questions about In the Midnight Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Midnight Hour

Valerie Tate Williams
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up in a hurry on the way to an appointment when I knew I'd be sitting in a waiting room and needed something to read. What a lucky choice!

This is the first of Ms. O'Shea's novels that I've read, but it won't be the last. Well developed plot, characters and settings allowed me to quickly sink into this story without distractions.

Deke Summers is our hero here. A regular human unaware of the secret magical race called the "Gineal" who have been living alongside us for centuries,
Lyndi
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Ryne is seriously TSTL, but I really liked the plot and the other characters.
Melindeeloo
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
M.A. Kropp
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
What to say about this book? I have never been a big fan of romance novels. Honestly, I find them rather one-dimensional and almost funny, which I don't think is the intention. I got this one as a free download a while ago, and since paranormal romance is somewhat of a "hot" genre these days, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Ryne is a Gineal, one of a race of humans able to wield magic and living among normal humans as a protector of sorts against all the evil magical beings among us. She has been t
Garrett
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a paranormal romance novel, so it has all the cliched, template, steamy, writing that is required of a romance novel, with an interesting paranormal element to make it feel unique.

I also found it interesting that the main male character was used as a viewpoint character. I had not encountered this in any other romance novels I've read (although that number is admittedly low).

Why did I read this? Because I got it as a free eBook from Tor, and because it was kind of fun to read (for me it
Catherine Fitzsimmons
Sep 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was another of the ebooks I received for signing up for the mailing list for Tor’s new website. It’s the story of a young magic user in a secret society called the Gineal as she frees a man from being imprisoned in a cartoon and struggles to defeat her old mentor, who had turned evil while she was still the woman’s apprentice.

Books like this are the reason I wish I wasn’t so stubborn about finishing what I started. Given that this title was published by Tor, one of the largest English langu
4.5 stars - great!

I really liked this story! It was so great I started and finished it today. :) Is this a series? I can't remember and forgot to check before starting to write this. I hope it is...I'd welcome the chance to either read more about Ryne and Deke or romances between other characters (like Creed)...or both! :)

This story was really excellent: great characters with a great story to share. :) The heat between Ryne and Deke was hot enough to steam windows and the fight to save Deke a
Barbara ★
Eventhough her sister is married to a human, Ryne, a Gineal warrior, always held with the belief that Gineal and human couldn't mix. This posed a huge problem when Deke entered the picture. She wanted him badly but rigidly held herself back. Deke knew how to rile Ryne and he did it intentionally to draw her closer to him which she resisted.

An enjoyable tug of war between allies who are fighting the darkness and a curse. It starts out very slow and I found it rather boring until about page 100 wh
Melissa
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, talk about world-building! It's the world we know, but peppered with secret magical societies battling unseen evil forces. The author's creative setting and original storyline make for a riveting page-turner.

Yet within the framework of a fast-paced action storyline are two characters whose emotions run deep. Ryne and Deke's attraction is immediate and overwhelming, vivid and real. An all-around satisfying read.
Hope
Oct 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This started well. Our viewpoint character is a strong, determined woman, focused on doing good.

But it rapidly devolved into a downright offensive story suggesting that a woman should be turned on by having her personal space invaded. After the first scene, the conflict is only there because the character's can't be arsed to actually talk to each other. ARG! I didn't read very far before giving it up.
Marisa
Jan 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Unreadably bad. This was a free download from Tor books - I didn't realise previously that they had a "paranormal romance" imprint, but they do, and this is one of their books.

Basically, it reads like bad slash fic, although it has an original setting.

It also has extremely distasteful gender relations of the "she said 'no,' but she really meant 'yes'" variety.

I didn't make it very far with this one.
John
Aug 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
This was a free book that I got through Tor.com and it was my first exposure to this author. I thought that the book got off to a decent start but the ending seemed very rushed. I'm not sure if the author ran out of time writing the book or it got left on the cutting room floor, but the last 40 pages was like reading cliffs notes with some dialog. It is no surprise that Tor gave the book away. If you want a supernatural love story without having to think much, this is the book for you.
Darcy
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
This book is a mixed bag. The story is fairly cliched and predictable, although well written. The big negative in my mind was that the main male lead was extraordinarily irritating. He was such an extreme ass for the first half of the book or so, so unrealistically written, that the rest of the story shouldn't have unfolded the way it did.
rivka
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Uses every cliche in the paranormal-romance genre -- lure of evil, chasing after a former good guy turned bad, limited timeframe due to an evil spell -- and comes up with an amazingly GOOD book.

(Non romance-readers may disagree, and this book contains several explicit scenes.)
Sep 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book, not sure if it's just not a genre I enjoy or if it really was that poorly written. I think I only picked it up because it came up in a search for new "kindle" reading material...
Chris Gardner
This is another romance/sex book with urban fantasy wrapped around it. Not really anything I am interested in.[return][return]With that said, the writing is pretty good. The subject matter is just not what I want to read.[return][return]I cannot recommend it, but others may like it.
Andrea
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
I saw an ad online for the third book in this series, which sounded much more interesting, but thought I would start at the beginning...it is great for when you need a no-substance trashy novel--this one happens to be a paranormal romance.
Wealhtheow
Ryne is in the midst of an undercover magical war when she accidentally uncurses Deke Summers. Artificial, contrived and completely unimaginative.
Can be read online here: http://hbpub.vo.llnwd.net/o16/video/o...
Mysterious
Jan 27, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF 20%
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
The author appears to be a student of the Laurell K. Hamilton school of urban fantasy: too much badly-written smut, not enough story. Not recommended at all.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
B. Zedan
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tor-downloads
Yeah, it's a romance. But it did not suck outright and the characters had a little quality verbal sparring and are kind of real people.
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
I had started reading this book but it was going quite slow. So I put this one down until I finish the Celta's Heartmates series.
Tera
Sri
rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Reiffen's Choice (Stoneways Trilogy, #1)
  • Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica Miniseries, #1)
  • Darkness of the Light
  • Flash (Archform: Beauty, #2)
  • The Disunited States of America (Crosstime Traffic, #4)
  • Touch of Evil (Thrall, #1)
  • Dogland
  • Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1)
  • Soul
  • Fallen
  • The Buried Pyramid
  • Shards of Crimson (Crimson City, #7)
  • Lord of the Isles (Lord of the Isles, #1)
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #8-11)
  • Games of Fate (Fate ~ Fire ~ Shifter ~ Dragon, #1)
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
  • Crystal Rain (Xenowealth, #1)
  • Four and Twenty Blackbirds (Eden Moore, #1)
Nationally bestselling author Patti O'Shea has won numerous awards for her writing and been nominated for many more. Her books have appeared on the Barnes & Noble, Waldenbooks, and Borders bestseller lists and have earned starred reviews in prestigious publications such as Booklist.
More about Patti O'Shea...

Light Warriors (4 books)
  • In Twilight's Shadow (Light Warriors #2)
  • Edge of Dawn (Light Warriors #3)
  • In the Darkest Night (Light Warriors #4)