Start by marking “The Jungle Book” as Want to Read:
The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book (The Jungle Book #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  86,209 Ratings  ·  2,589 Reviews
"Oh hear the call! Good hunting all - That keep the Jungle Law! -Night-Song in the Jungle
When young little Mowgli's parents are run out of their camp by a formidable Bengal tiger, the toddler scampers to safety alone in the cave of a Seeonee wolf pack. Thereafter forest animals succor Mowgli and through his wits and their kindness, he reaches adulthood.
Paradox exists in th
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by Tantor Media (first published 1894)

We are the masters of our planet, but we are not very good masters. We are, in the blunt phrase I saw a zoologist use the other day, a plague species. Sometimes, one feels the world would be better off without human beings. This isn't necessarily a counsel of despair or treachery. Our true loyalty should be not to mankind but to our genes, and most of those genes are to be found in other species who are far less destructive. It would almost be a relief if the beautiful and savage animals we shar ...more

4.5/5 Kipling, Mowgli, and I have been on a long journey together. I started The Jungle Book nearly ten years ago. I lost my copy when I moved from the west coast to Chicago, found it again, picked up where I left off, lost it again when I moved to Wisconsin, and found it again in 2014. Since then, it's lingered on my nightstand waiting for me to join Mowgli again on his jungle adventures until last week.

These stories are absolutely beautiful. It comes as no surprise that Kipling considered him
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my best childhood story absolutely the jungle book * mowgli * beautiful adventure
Luca Ambrosino
English (The Jungle Book) / Italiano

I didn't know that "The Jungle Book" was a collection of tales. Thanks to the Disney movie, I had always identified this novel with the story of Mowgli, the man cub raised by a pack of wolves. But another bedtime reading to my daughter makes me discover that this book is made up of seven stories, and only three of them tell about Mowgli ("Mowgli's Brothers", "Kaa's Hunting" and "Tiger! Tiger!"). The search for a place to live safe from hunters is told in "The

Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Boo
Nandakishore Varma
IMO, Rudyard Kipling is the worst example of the quintessential British Imperialist and Colonialist. His attitude towards India is contemptuous and condescending. As a person, I dislike him intensely.

Kipling writes beautifully. His stories are simple, engaging and profound at the same time. As a writer, I love him.

This is a childhood favourite. I read it first in translation, and then in the original. This is a true classic - it works for one as a child as well as an adult.
Lynne King
Two weeks ago I arrived at Aberdovey, a small seaside village on the Dyfi estuary in west Wales. So to discover sun, and thus an ideal day for the beach, I needed a book. Having no luck finding a bookshop, and minus my Kindle, the young man in the pub mentioned that the RNLI were selling books. So when I saw the smiling face of Mowgli on the cover of “The Jungle Book”, well I had to purchase it and also support the Lifeboats as they do such marvellous work.

I had read this collection of short sto
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aileene by: Luke Taylor
PRE - READ. he believes I read too much Abs books *wrinkles nose*

Commencing on the 8th of August (9 Aug - Aus time)

EDITED FOR Luke's review link.

This is the second time I read The Jungle Book. The first one was when I was in secondary school as I had to write an essay for it.

This story was memorable coz it was the same time when I first start wearing glasses. So, needless to say this was the very first story I read with
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, h
Anne Goldschrift
Ich bin so froh, es gelesen zu haben. Ich hätte niemals erwartet, dass sich Disney und Original SO fundamental unterscheiden :D
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am trying to read more classics, so why not start off with the Jungle book? This book is short enough that it only takes two CDs to listen to and a new movie version just came out about this book.

The characters were interesting and very different from the movie. For example, Baloo was apart of the wolf pack the whole time. His job is to train the pups. This is completely different than the movie.

All in all, I enjoyed this read! I’m glad this is my first classic, after starting up again. Also,
Michael Finocchiaro
The stories of Mowgli and his friends are splendid. Yes, Kipling was an unabashed supporter of colonialism and orientalist, he nonetheless was able to create some of the most vivid stories of animals and children and this one is certainly the best. The Disney movie does not come close to doing it justice. A must read even as an adult.
Amber Tucker
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore children's lit fans
Lesson learned from this book: having been much- and long-beloved does not automatically make a book worth reading.
The only particular reason I picked this one off my shelf was the feeling it's a "classic" of children's lit, which I felt slightly ashamed of never having had a chance to enjoy – I assumed must be classically marvellous. (I mean, I don't know if I ever even watched the Disney adaptation all the way through. I was actually expecting all Mowgli stories. More than half are not, act
Rudyard Kipling’s _The Jungle Book_ is an enjoyable read. A collection of short stories, all of which revolve around the lives and troubles of different animals and the people who interact with them, it has a surprising amount of depth coupled with rather pleasant prose. The most famous of these stories are probably those that revolve around Mowgli, the jungle boy raised by wolves in India whose adventures with Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther against the machinations of Shere Khan the ti ...more
Leo .
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story that is really an institution. The characters mirrored in the Cub Scout Movement. I was a cub when I was a child and I adored the concept. Akela our leader and Bagheera. I remember going camping and foraging and singing songs around the fire. The nostalgia is warming.

An amazing five stars. I love this story. Brilliantly written by one of the greats.🐯👍
Full review posted below.

This was my first book completed on the Serial Reader app, an awesome way to read classic works of literature in less than fifteen minutes a day. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading some classics, but who doesn’t want to get bogged down in them. And no, I haven’t been asked to advertise the app; I just really think it was a fantastic idea, and the execution of that idea was incredibly well done.

End advertisement. ;) Onto the story at hand.

Most ev
Archit Ojha
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman revealed in his books that it was Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book that he read over and over again.

The Jungle Book is one of the fabulous books in my list. Reading the book brought me a nostalgic feeling about my childhood when I used to watch its tv series. Those days were truly Golden. They are just a memory now, but thanks to this book that I can go back in time, whenever I wish and relive those moments.
Sinem A.
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çocukken filmini izleyip hayran oldum. sonra da bu hayranlığımı hiç kaybetmedim. ancak kitabı çok aradım. çocuk kitabı olarak vardı ama büyükler için versiyonu bulunmuyordu. sadece bu boşluğu doldurduğu için bile İthaki yi tebrik etmeliyim.
bu baskıda sadece orman kitabı değil başka öyküler de var ; sizi hayvanlar aleminde farklı maceralara sürükleyen...
I had no idea this was an anthology. For some reason, I thought it was going to be only about Mowgli and his jungle friends, and had no idea this is where Riki Tiki Tavi came from.

This was cute, but there were a couple of stories that just didn't seem to fit the "Jungle" theme. The one about the seal in particular had no business being in the collection. But the one about the camp animals and how they contributed to war/fighting also seemed a bit out of place too. Not that these weren't good sto
Feb 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of stories about animals and/or jungle adventure
Shelves: classics
Lost in the jungles of 19th-century India (the book was first published in 1894) as a toddler, little Mowgli is rescued from the vicious tiger Shere Khan by an adoptive family of wolves, who raise him as part of their pack. The author's various species of jungle animals exhibit many traits and behaviors characteristic of real ones (Kipling was born and raised in India, and his setting is depicted with a deftness born of first-hand observation); but he also endows them with a culture and language ...more
Olga Godim
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Last time I read The Jungle Book was years ago, to my son, when he was a preschooler. I didn’t remember much before I started this read. It might be that I only read him selective stories, because my memory of the stories was sketchy. Mowgli – aye, all of them, even the ones included in the other Jungle book. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi – yes, of course. But I don’t remember ever reading The White Seal or a couple other stories, so my impression of them is fresh.
The entire book is simplistic on the surfac
Kipling pours fuel on childhood fantasies with his tales of Mowgli, lost in the jungles of India as a child and adopted into a family of wolves. Mowgli is brought up on a diet of Jungle Law, loyalty, and fresh meat from the kill.

"The boy could climb almost as well as he could swim, and swim almost as well as he could run; so Baloo, the Teacher of the Law, taught him the Wood and Water Laws. Then, too, Mowgli was taught the Stranger's Hunting Call, which must be repeated aloud till it is answere
This classic story by Rudyard Kipling, telling of the adventures of Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the jungles of India, gets the Ingpen treatment. That is, the illustrations are by Australian artist Robert Ingpen, who brings the animals to life in the best edition I have seen of Kipling's tales for children.

This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.

Kipling. His pen could write with a silver tongue. The sounds and denizens of the jungle come alive with his words. Now add th
aPriL does feral sometimes
"Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free--
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! - Good hunting all
That keep the Jungle Law!"
Night-song in the jungle

'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling is a book of delightful short stories and poem-songs about talking animals. Five of the stories follow Mowgli, who as a human toddler was separated from his parents after Shere Khan, t
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent dramatisation of a classic tale. I'm not going to review the actual book other than to say that if you only know 'The Jungle Book' from the Disney movie, you owe it to yourself to read the original book. It's more than a little different.

This dramatisation is really good. The cast is superb and they all do a fantastic job of bringing the characters they are voicing to life. The sound effects are also amazing as is the general production value. I'm not usually a fan of music
K.M. Weiland
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Disney's Jungle Book--and that's a good thing. As much as I love the classic Disney cartoon version, this is a delightful story in its original incarnation, featuring a much grittier jungle and a much more independent young Mowgli. Aside from the Mowgli stories, there are also several other charmers, including my childhood favorite "Riki-Tiki-Tavi" and the ending story about the army animals. This is Kipling at his rightful best.
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
This is a classic by Rudyard Kipling. It's a collection of short stories for children with lots of animals and humans, and how they did and did not get along. Even though there was a fair amount of death in these stories, it was kind of glossy as most children's books are. The Disney version of Mowgli's story is definitely cleaned up a bit. I never read this one to my kids when they were little. Even though I liked this, I don't regret not having read this one to them.
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
2/5 ~ Nope. My goal this year is to read more classics, even the ones I never liked. This is definitely one of them. Even if it’s a collection of multiple stories I found all of them very flat and boring.😅
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection, including all of Mowgli's stories as well as Rikki-tikki-tavi, was culled from Kipling's original, two volume collection of jungle stories. I like the thematic continuity of this volume, and including the mongoose story as a capstone played very well to my young audience.

Mowgli's journey as a boy raised among wolves resonates on a deeply human and humane level. Kipling clearly stacks the deck in favor of the animals--at least those who operate according to the Law of the Jungle-
Kelly Ferguson
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
You know you've been in grad school can't read a children's classic without analyzing its Orientalist perspective. To read this book then, you have to do that thing where you forget there's been advances in social perspectives and take Kipling as a product of his time—a British colonialist.

Now that we've gotten that over with, I was surprisingly spellbound by these tales of Mowgli and his jungle friends. Kipling had me in a thrall, and I wanted to believe this fantasy of being raised
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • The Children of the New Forest
  • Pinocchio
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3
  • Peter Pan
  • English Fairy Tales
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...

The Jungle Book (2 books)
  • The Second Jungle Book

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” 297 likes
“Now, don't be angry after you've been afraid. That's the worst kind of cowardice.” 80 likes