Start by marking “Don't Hassel the Hoff: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Don't Hassel the Hoff: The Autobiography

Don't Hassel the Hoff: The Autobiography

2.94  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The Los Angeles Times called him a "counterculture icon," and TV Guide dubbed him one of "TV's Ten Most Powerful Stars," but true aficionados simply call him "The Hoff."
Don't Hassel the Hoff follows David Hasselhoff's phenomenal career, from his earliest childhood role in Peter Pan to his latest adventure, starring in Mel Brooks's Tony award-winning musical, The Produce
Published May 15th 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Hassel the Hoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Hassel the Hoff

Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I saw this at the library and cracked up. I had no idea this existed, or was even needed, but then I realized this dude is a God in Germany so it was probably written for them, and then released here as an after thought. The question is how is this guy so huge there? Then I heard Looking For Freedom, and I still don't get it, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that you pick this up for a goof, and then you actually begin to like the guy a little. Sure, the book is so cheesy it should ...more
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a joke gift, but it's an absolute blast. This guy must be the least self-conscious man alive.

"David, we know there is no hope for our child but we prayed that his hero would come and, David, you came."

That's on page 7, and the book is full of stuff like this. As with everything Dave Hasselhoff does, it would be utter comedy genius if he did it on purpose. Sure, this book with its wooden, dictated feel (it's written "with" Peter Thompson) is preposterous on so many levels, but
Jul 25, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: The Shallow And Vain.
My friend Zohar bought me this book as a joke. I read it as a joke. It reads like a joke. Wow. No substance whatsoever was passed through this book. You may as well surf through Hasselhoff's listing and you'll walk away with just as much insight into Knight Rider.
Though, I do find it interesting that Mr. Hasselhoff holds the Guinness Book of World Records title for being the most watched television star. More than 5 BILLION people know who the guy is. Can you believe that? Too bad he di
Eileen Phillips
Jan 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one. maybe Chris Ranc...
Shelves: biography
Well, poor David Hasselhoff. He basically gets success handed to him and he keeps throwing it away because he can't keep his hands off the booze. He even got hit on by Princess Di! He absolutely, cannot write for beans though. I muscled my way through this whole book to satisfy my curiosity, but his writing is terrible. If anyone says this book was ghost-written, I will totally argue against that. David Hasselhoff himself had to have written this book, no self-respecting writer (even a ghost wri ...more
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans/People Who Want a Laugh
If you've seen "America's Got Talent," you've probably pegged The Hoff as vain, a little shallow, and not the brightest bulb. This book will confirm your beliefs. To his credit, I believe that Hasselhoff actually wrote this book; the writing is fairly weak and lacks in transitions, grammatical structure or strong word choice. The pictures, however, are good for a laugh.

I enjoyed this book, but it was because I read it out loud to a friend, and we laughed the whole night.
Colleen Venable
Apr 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
The pictures get 5 stars....especially some of the choice ones from Night Rider. Unfortunately there were also WORDS in this book. Ewww.
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
While this was an easy read, it wasn't the juiciest. Hoff certainly was in-depth about his Knight Rider and Baywatch days, as well as his singing career. He did quite a bit of touring and traveling through South Africa. I was fascinated with that aspect of his life as well as his early upbringing and career as I like to see where people get to be where they are and what shapes them as a person. It was not particularly well-written. It was written with English spelling of words (favourite, colour ...more
Nov 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Alright, so I read the book because of an assignment where I had to write and perform an informative speech, so I thought it should be hilarious and decided to go with David Hasslehoff's music/singing career. Well, it turns out that every website I went to, whether in English or German, wasn't much help, and I got desperate enough to borrow the book from the library (because I don't buy books [because I'm poor]). I give it one star for being terribly written. However, I give it five stars for be ...more
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the hoff
Can't say that I read this book word for word, but I read excerpts to Jon as we drove to and from FL and it made our recent road trip fly by. Little facts that you may not know (but will love about The Hoff): he proposed to his first wife in front of a the crew of Knight Rider with the ring stashed under the hood of a tiny Kitt car on a cake that read "Will you marry me?", influenced the topple-ing of the Berlin wall with the release of his mega-hit "Looking for Freedom", often refers to himself ...more
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The greatest all round entertainer of my generation brings his incredible story of light and dark, good and evil, political will and charitable good works to you, the grateful public.

Quite why literary awards have evaded this tome, is beyond me, as the Hoff packs more emotion into a single word than more lauded writers can manage in an entire book.

His is a tale of redemption, of hope, of boobies. A hero for our time.
Sign Guy
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it
This was alright, but he didn't seem to go to far into his troubles with drinking. It was covered, but not too in depth. Witht he exception of wanting out of Y&R and his Baywatch career he didn't get too involved in the actual involvement in his acting gigs. It was good for what it was, but it wasn't a huge page turner full of shocking tales.
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is okay but David is a little too much in love with himself. He has based his career on good looks and charm and really not so much talent. He is a better singer than an actor. He has struggles with alcohol and he is losing his looks. Not a lot of substance in this book.
Dec 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
i can't really read the rest of this is worse than i expected. though i have gleaned a few amazing tidbits about the hoff, i just cannot keep trying. let's just say, he should stick to acting/whatever it is you want to call what he does.
cristina g. dowdle
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this book at my local library & just had to read it! What a conceited train wreck! I loved every word of it as it made me feel like such a superior being. You'll love to hate this guy & knowing more about him will justify it!
I mean, what did you expect? While maybe not a literary masterpiece, reading this made me miss my Baywatch days. I tend to like the gritty, tell-alls, and this is definitely the PG version of his life, but oh well.
Jun 17, 2009 marked it as to-read
I think this will make for excellent summer reading! Anyone have a copy they can loan me???
Feb 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
...And don't bother reading.
Mar 22, 2013 marked it as to-read
Bought: March 19, 2013
Location: Booksale (Megamall)
Price: P20
Nathan Rabin
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Look for my upcoming piece in Silly Show-Biz Book Club.
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
The worst book in print (besides The Pearl). I hope you're not too shocked by my saying so...
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
My love for The Hoff knows no bounds. I gleefully read large portions of the first few chapters to those that would listen to it's awesomeness, but it petered out a little thereafter.
Joshua Brunstad
Dec 23, 2014
Feb 28, 2013
Dec 31, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
David Michael Hasselhoff, nicknamed "The Hoff", is an American actor and singer, who is best known for his lead roles on Knight Rider and Baywatch. He also crossed over to a successful music career, primarily in Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
More about David Hasselhoff...