Start by marking “Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box” as Want to Read:
Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box

Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box (Popular Culture and Philosophy #6)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Baseball and Philosophy brings together two high-powered pastimes: the sport of baseball and the academic discipline of philosophy. Eric Bronson asked eighteen young professors to provide their profound analysis of some aspect of baseball. The result offers surprisingly deep insights into this most American of games.
The contributors include many of the leading voices in th
Published January 9th 2004 by Open Court

To ask other readers questions about Baseball and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball and Philosophy

Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
“Baseball, like philosophy itself, is wisdom loving and knowledge seeking, an activity that aims not just for information but also for understanding. The game will answer questions about individual performances, season standings, and the effect of new grass in the outfield, but these answers are only partial and temporal resolutions of the initial uncertainty. Bigger questions loom.”

Baseball and Philosophy asks and answers many important questions, such as, “who would make the better shortstop,
Kim
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a book about baseball. I say that because it may appear to really be about philosophy, but the baseball is key. I'm reading it as part of a book club and it was better than I expected, but to be fair, I'm not and never have been a baseball fan. That being said, I actually did find myself enjoying the book more than I thought, though I scanned several chapters that weren't as interesting. The chapters on Japan, Buddhism, women and baseball, and the Negro Leagues were my favorites. What br ...more
Caleb Parker
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I rated this book with some bias because I like baseball. I don’t care for philosophy much, however this book is an exception. This book has lead me to like philosophy. I like the ideas, the ideas of how things work. It can on and on about a topic, but this can be a problem for me. It often goes too deep on some ideas. I like things that are fast and quick to the point so this is not the book for me. If you can tolerate what seems to be babble for an extra 2 pages of why home is considered home ...more
Ben
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a -bad- anthology of essays on baseball and philosophy.... just.... eh. It took me a lot longer to read this than expected (also a busy time for me, with work, kids, starting up the gardens, etc), but it just seemed more drier and not as truly philosophical as some of the other pop culture and philosophy books (Seinfeld and Philosophy, Lord of the Rings and philosophy, etc). Some of the essays were more or less just essays and not even linking baseball to philosophy at all. Hit or miss artic ...more
Sean Asbury
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
I really thought that this was going to be a very good book about baseball, morals and strategy. While it had a few good quotes and ideas, most of the book was jumbled garble. The authors for every section were different and all had different writing styles so there wasn't a clear voice nor direction.

Some of the chapters on Japanese baseball and how their morals impact the game were bright spots but most were just weak.
Diana
Aug 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have a feeling that this is a good book and I'm just missing the point. I had a heck of a time staying awake! But what's fun is seeing the emails from the guy in our book club who chose it and who will lead the discussion Saturday evening. He is pumped! ⚾ Plus, we're all bringing baseball game foods. So for those reasons, I give it 5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Rick
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I bought this book mainly because of the title. I couldn't pass up a book that promised to deal with two things I love...baseball and philosophy. It turned out to be quie entertaining, a fresh way to look at the sport I follow.
Bonnie
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
This is a great book. Some interesting connections between baseball and our culture.
Adam
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: baseball
Nah.
Sean
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Too much of a good thing. A few were interesting, but serious overkill rules the day in this series.
Felicia
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, own
Some very intersting essays and musings, but also a lot of verbose philosophizing that wasn't all that connected to baseball.
Ron Kaplan
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
philosophy
Josiahzahina
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book that reignited a love for baseball through a romantic philosophical approach to the game
Patrick
Sep 23, 2007
John Bohl
May 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers: An Historical Compendium of Pitching, Pitchers, and Pitches
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Baseball: a Literary Anthology
  • Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
  • Bushville Wins!: The Wild Saga of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves and the Screwballs, Sluggers, and Beer Swiggers Who Canned the New York Yankees and Changed Baseball
  • Ty and The Babe: Baseball's Fiercest Rivals: A Surprising Friendship and the 1941 Has-Beens Golf Championship
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else
  • The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World
Eric Bronson is the author or editor of six books. He has a Ph.D. in philosophy and currently teaches in the Humanities Department at York University in Toronto. His classes on Modern Life focus on anxiety, creativity, and happiness.

The Chicago Sun Times noted that Bronson's "Baseball and Philosophy makes you realize just how fun thinking about baseball really is."

His most recent book, King of Rag
More about Eric Bronson...

Popular Culture and Philosophy (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book About Everything and Nothing (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer
  • The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
  • The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts
  • Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy: The Cross, the Questions, the Controverssy