Start by marking “Deadly Treasures (Lady Alkmene #3)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Treasures (Lady Alkmene #3)

Deadly Treasures

(Lady Alkmene Callender Mysteries #3)

The third book in the Lady Alkmene Callender Mystery series

Murder on the coast

Lady Alkmene Callender has little interest in marriage, especially when her father is up to his matchmaking tricks, but when the opportunity arises to visit an archaeological dig she cannot resist.

However, when she arrives to find her potential groom under arrest for murder Lady Alkmene begins to
Published November 21st 2016 by Carina

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Treasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Treasures

Holly
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, netgalley
Review to come.
Alison
I've admitted defeat, I'm not going to finish this book and I have no interest in trying. DNF at 34%.

I requested this from NetGalley because I'm a great fan of the 1920s/ 1930s detectives, your Agatha Christie books, your Lord Peter Wimsey etc and this looked like a series I could get my teeth into. Sadly, I found this just slooooow. I was one third of the way through the book and nothing seemed to have happened, apart from the murder of course.

None of the characters engaged me, they seemed to b
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and HQ Digital for a review copy of Deadly Treasures, the third novel to feature Lady Alkmene Callender, an aristocratic amateur sleuth in 1920s England.

Alkmene is asked by her father and his friend to go and visit her childhood friend, Duncan, on his dig. Envisioning a trip to Egypt she accepts with alacrity only to find that the dig is in Cornwall and both fathers want Duncan and Alkmene to marry. When she gets to Cornwall it is in time to see Duncan being led a
Rachel
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before I start the review I have to mention the book covers for this series as they are stunning. Deadly Treasures is just as lovely and it is a perfect fit for this series. Even though this book is the third in the series it can be read as a standalone. I wouldn't say that there would be any confusion reading this book first. It is such a fun cosy mystery series though so it is worth starting at the beginning and getting a better feel for the characters.

I have to say that it was lovely to see J
Julie Douglas
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
The language is too modern and the errors in speech at total variance to the intelligent, well educated daughter of Aristocracy that Lady Alkemene is purported to be. Cappuccinos were a drink not known at the time, drinking tea or coffee at a Tea Shop or Coffee House would have been just that. A member of the English educated classes would have probably replied to a statement or judgment with 'I imagine so' or similar, not an Americanism such as 'I guess.'And the most annoying thing, is the same ...more
Verity W
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

I read the first book in this series a few months ago and said that I loved the idea but didn't think the book quite delivered. Now I've returned to read book three and I think the series has improved although it's still a little flawed. The dialogue is better - but still has some bits that sound quite odd. Having not read book 2 I was a bit puzzled by a few aspects of Alkmene's relationship with Jake but I was mostly ok with it. I though
Mystica
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am reading books with unusual names for the ladies! In this one Lady Alkmene Callender is anyway an unusual lady for her times. Disinterested in marriage and deaf to the match making tricks of all her relations including her father, a visit to an archaeological site is one she cannot resist, in spite of a prospective groom being the bait!

Finding the groom to be a suspect in a murder case does not deter Alkmene who uses all her detective skills to find out who the real culprit is. The fact that
Katherina
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book, the second a bit less and this one not really. It's just too slow and things I found charming in the first book just annoyed me in the third. I'm a big fan of lady detective stories, but there are way better one out there ... For more romance reviews, check out my website: https://katherinasbooks.wordpress.com
Yvette (bookworlder)
The third outing in the Lady Alkmene Callender Cosy Mystery series finds Alkmene on a jaunt out to an archaeological site to reacquaint herself with the son of the family she spent childhood summers with.  While this trip has been partially orchestrated by her father from abroad in hopes of making a match for Alkmene, she arrives to find her potential husband being arrested for murder.

Another country village setting, a new murder to investigate, and a family friend to exonerate, along with a new
Carla
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 3

I read all three books, one after the other. And, I loved them all. Book three developed Lady Alkmene's character even more. I love her character. But when are they going to investigate the London blackmailer. Hope that's going to be what book four is going to be about.
Jessi
Lady Alkmene grew up with a somewhat peripatetic existence, moving from house to house while her father was on botanical explorations and after her mother died. One boy that never seemed to care was Duncan Woolsbury. He used to torment her and Alkmene used to do her best to get even. Now Duncan is getting older and his parents are afraid that he's never going to get married and present an heir to the viscountcy. They want Alkmene to present herself as a candidate to be his wife. She's very excit ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am a 'cosy mystery' aficionado .. in between crime thrillers and rom-com's they are my choice. I was looking forward to reading this one, especially as the cover would seem to signal it is a period mystery.
However, it dragged until half-way through, until then it seemed there was one suspect. Then it began to pick up again but it niggled at me that the language didn't match the setting. A 'lady' saying 'maybe' when 'perhaps' would be much more in keeping with her status, and referring to a wid
Karen
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I'm going to be completely and utterly smashed if Deadly Treasures is the last of Vivian Conroy's Lady Alkmene mysteries. It's the third that I've read since September and the thought of being without new adventures for Alkmene and Jake gets me a bit misty-eyed.

As has been the case with the others in the series, it's a fabulously told story that constantly had me guessing. Of course, it also doesn't hurt at all that I have an enormous book crush on Jake Dubois. I may have a w
Stephanie Bryant
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this eBook for free through NetGalley in exchange for my review - and my opinion is it biased by having received the book for free. I rather enjoyed the book, and how it was written - as if it was straight out of their thought pattern while trying to solve the case. The continual presentation of potential suspects left me wondering who did it... and I was fairly surprised with the end verdict.
Susan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It's the 1920's and the murder investigations of Lady Callender and Jake Dubois continue, when Alkmeme is asked by family friends the Woolsbury to visit their son Duncan, who is on an archaeological dig. She arrives just as Duncan as being arrested for murder. Can she and Jake discover the real murderer and why.
This was an enjoyable read, and a decent mystery with a good interaction between the two main characters.
A NetGalley Book

Rachel Burton
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have absolutely loved these mysteries and all 3 of them have kept me guessing. I'll also admit a big crush on Jake Dubois (& Alkmene!) and surely hope they are set for more adventures in 2017!
nikkia neil
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
Thanks HQ Digital and netgalley for this ARC.

Great third book in series. Best of the three- with Alkeme in the zone.
Guy
Mar 05, 2018
Cathy Gross
Mar 18, 2017
Mrs C A Hurd
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2018
Dec 10, 2017
Tom Gallegos
May 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

Lady Alkmene Callender Mysteries (4 books)
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • Diamonds of Death (Lady Alkmene #2)
  • Fatal Masquerade (Lady Alkmene #4)