Jump to ratings and reviews
On a rainy June morning, tens of thousands of people crowd into Duluth for the city’s biggest annual event: the Duluth Marathon. Exhausted runners push to reach the finish line and spectators line the streets to cheer them on. Then, in a terrifying echo of the Boston bombing, there is an explosion along the race course, leaving many people dead and injured.

Within minutes, Jonathan Stride, Serena Dial, and Maggie Bei are at work with the FBI to find the terrorists behind the tragedy. As social media feeds a flood of rumors and misinformation, one spectator remembers being jostled by a young man with a backpack not far from the bomb site. He spots a Muslim man in a tourist’s photo of the event and is convinced that this was the man who bumped into him in the crowd–but now the man’s backpack is missing.

When he tweets the photo to the public, the young man, Khan Rashid, becomes the most wanted man in the city. And the manhunt is on.

But are the answers behind the Duluth bombing more complex than anyone realizes? And can Stride, Serena, and Maggie find the truth before more innocent people are killed?

408 pages, Hardcover

First published May 3, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Brian Freeman

56 books2,530 followers
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian was also selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series, and his novel THE BOURNE EVOLUTION was named one of the Best Mysteries and Thrillers of 2020 by Kirkus.

Brian's seventh novel SPILLED BLOOD won the award for Best Hardcover Novel in the annual Thriller Awards given out by the International Thriller Writers organization, and his fifth novel THE BURYING PLACE was a finalist for the same award. His novel THE DEEP, DEEP SNOW was a finalist for the Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original.

His debut thriller, IMMORAL, won the Macavity Award for Best First Novel and was a nominee for the Edgar, Dagger, Anthony, and Barry Awards. IMMORAL was named an International Book of the Month, a distinction shared with authors such as Harlan Coben and Lisa Unger.

All of Brian's books are also available in audiobook editions. His novels THE BONE HOUSE and SEASON OF FEAR were both finalists for Best Audiobook of the Year in Thriller/Suspense.

For more information on Brian's books, visit his web site at bfreemanbooks.com or find him on Facebook at facebook.com/bfreemanfans or Twitter and Instagram (@bfreemanbooks).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
75 (3%)
1 star
25 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 287 reviews
Profile Image for Brenda.
725 reviews150 followers
June 6, 2017
A bomb explodes at the Duluth Marathon and a Muslim man is publicly accused. Ugh. Do I really want to read this?

I suspect that's what many readers will think. Don't give up on it! Yes, it has a message that's important. Yes, it may make you uncomfortable and perhaps angry. But this is a well-written story. It's a mix of current events and feelings sensitively handled along side the investigation into the crime by Jonathan Stride and crew. It feels to me that Brian Freeman put his heart and soul into this book, and I say, "Well done, Mr. Freeman."
Profile Image for Jean.
705 reviews20 followers
August 19, 2017
As a Brian Freeman fan who has cheered on family members at Duluth’s Grandma’s Marathon numerous times over the years, I was thrilled to pick up my reserved copy of Marathon from the public library. I’ve sweated by the lake in 80-degree sunshine, a rare occurrence anytime in Duluth, even in mid-June. I’ve encouraged racers in wheelchairs and half-marathoners as I hung out with relatives near the polka band on Superior Street downtown. I’ve shivered in chilly 50-degree drizzle at the finish line on Canal Park, which is where Marathon bursts into action.

It is a familiar scene. Large crowds. Balloons. Thousands of runners spread out over the 26.2-mile course against the backdrop of mighty Lake Superior. Police and security personnel lining the streets. Suddenly, another all-too-familiar scene, a scene much like Boston. A terrible explosion. Spectators and runners falling, bodies hurled to the pavement, some with limbs shredded or severed from their torsos. Human beings lying injured, dying, or already dead. I can tell you this: I felt like I was right there at the “Duluth Marathon.” I felt like it really happened, and it gave me the willies.

Lieutenant Stride, his wife Serena, and his partner, Officer Maggie Bei are in the thick of things. Maggie and Stride were on-site when the bombing occurred, and Serena had just completed the race. Police clear the area as emergency personnel rush in to treat and evacuate the wounded.

Immediate thoughts turn to terrorism. In the minds of many, “terrorism” equals Islamic radicalism. With Dawn Basch, an extreme right-wing activist, in town speak to like-minded followers, the city had already been on edge. Their hashtag is #no exceptions. According to Basch, free speech is free speech. “No ifs, ands, or buts. No exceptions.” When Stride spots a guy from Cloquet, which happens to be my hometown, wearing a "no exceptions" button, I got the shivers. Yes, the young men who planted the backpack loaded with explosives in Boston were Muslim, as have been many suicide bombers and drivers in cities around the world. As I was reading this work of fiction, a van crashed through a crowded street in Barcelona killing more than a dozen people and injuring many more. The next day in Cambrils, another one, probably related to the deadly Barcelona event. ISIS has claimed responsibility. Over the past year, Brussels, Paris, London...But, last weekend, a white supremacist smashed through a crowd with his vehicle killing a young woman at an “alt-right” march in Charlottesville, Virginia. No, he wasn’t Muslim. But Dawn Basch’s people can’t open their minds to the idea that those who commit terrorist acts are a small minority who are denounced by faithful Islamic people. Basch and her ilk only see one possibility: “Islam is murder.”

Enter the FBI and a locally grown agent, Gayle Durkin, because a bombing at a marathon has to be considered a possible terrorist action. Durkin has been relegated to desk duty for the past year, but now she is assigned to the bombing case because she’s a native of Duluth and knows the area. She has personality flaws and baggage that she hasn’t figured out how to overcome, but she swears she can put it aside and do her job. I didn’t find her all that likable, which was intentional on Freeman’s part, but Stride is a veteran cop and he knows how to handle her.

Marathon is billed as a Stride mystery, but this story is as much about the young man at the center of the firestorm, Khan Rashid. An American man of Pakistani heritage, he becomes a suspect when a spectator comes forward, saying he was rudely bumped by a Muslim with a backpack while he was watching the race near the finish line. He identifies Khan. He’s 100% certain, he says. Soon all of Duluth is looking for Khan Rashid, and as a reader, I just knew this was headed for disaster.

Freeman does a masterful balancing act, shuttling from the investigation to Khan and his family to Serena and the seventeen-year-old street-savvy girl, Cat, who now lives with Stride and Serena It’s a police procedural in some respects; it’s also a reflection of our world today with its prejudice, fears, hatred, and danger. It poses some questions: What is loyalty? How far would you go to help a friend? It almost goes without saying that this is a very timely piece of work, a time when racism and xenophobia clash with the Constitution. People across the world struggle with issues of how to trust those whom they perceive as different. Brian Freeman weaves all of this into his mystery. The resolution of this sad, sorry series of events may surprise you. Or not. The answers that he, Maggie, Serena, and even Agent Gayle Durkin find seem plausible in this world where violence is too often seen as the only way to solve problems. These officers, and even young Cat, have shown again that there is hope for fairness, truth, and mature judgment.

Marathon is not a political novel, but its themes, its mood, and its spirit reflects the dis-ease, the concern, and the hunger for unity that many throughout the US and the world are feeling these days. No exceptions? How about this: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...” No ands, ifs, or buts. No exceptions.

5 stars
Profile Image for Linda Strong.
3,882 reviews1,627 followers
March 16, 2018
A marathon with hundreds of weary runners getting close to the finish line ... thousands of spectators cheering on their families and friends ... and an explosion that leaves many people dead or injured. Very reminiscent of the Boston Marathon .. but this is where this story takes a turn.

Jonathan and Serena Stride join forces with the FBI to find the people responsible for the bombing. One spectator swears he saw the man responsible, a young Muslim man with a backpack. Within moments, people are on the hunt ... and the Muslim community becomes the target of many people.

But this is not a story just about the victims in the race, it is the story of a young man who was singled out and hunted because he is Muslim. Khan Rashid runs for his life ... but is he an innocent caught up in the chaos ...or is he guilty of killing other innocents?

Add to the mix a woman who incites hate and anger in an entire community strictly because of her prejudice. Also add to the mix an FBI Agent whose brother was killed a year earlier by a Muslim terrorist. Can these women put aside their personal feelings and get to the truth?

It's an action-packed, fast paced thought-provoking story. Jonathan Stride, once again, in thrown in the middle of a storm, not of his own choosing. He has a city to protect ... a family to protect. He even has a suspect he must protect.

I have followed this author and this series for several years. Brian Freeman has become one of my vary favorites. It is not mandatory, but I highly recommend starting at the very beginning.

Many thanks to the author who provided a digital copy of MARATHON. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Rodrigo.
971 reviews352 followers
March 2, 2021
FREEMAN NO DECEPCIONA Y son unos cuantos ya!!
Profile Image for Zai.
746 reviews94 followers
January 16, 2023
Popsugar 2020: Categoría 15. Un libro que involucre las redes sociales

Esta novela me ha encantado, soy una gran seguidora del autor Brian Freeman y sobre todo, de su serie Jonathan Stride, ésta es su última novela de la serie traducida al español y espero que pronto traduzcan las otras que tiene publicadas en inglés.

Esta es una novela muy completa, comienza con el estallido de una bomba durante la maratón de Duluth, y a partir de ahí la novela te mantiene en vilo de principio a fin. La investigación es llevada a cabo conjuntamente entre el FBI y el equipo de Stride. Enseguida se baraja la posibilidad de que la bomba haya sido puesta por los conflictos que están surgiendo en Duluth desde la llegada de Dawn Basch y sus comentarios en las redes sociales.

Me ha gustado como Freeman aborda la temática del terrorismo desde los diferentes puntos de vista y todas las implicaciones que tiene.

La novela está transcurre durante 5 días y éstos están divididos en diversos capítulos cortos, me encanta los personajes principales que están muy bien perfilados, Serena, Stride, Guppo y Maggie Bei, y también aparecen algunos más que son importantes en esta novela y otros que son importantes en las vidas de nuestros protagonistas y siguen en sus vidas desde el libro anterior, como Cat y Troy.

La trama es más complicada de lo que parece a simple vista, y poco a poco Freeman va desmadejando el hilo hasta llevarnos al desenlace final.
Profile Image for Jeanne.
788 reviews4 followers
Want to read
October 29, 2022
When you have a story whose plot is based on the prejudice and hate of one woman who incites hate and anger in an entire community, I simply can't like it! And when the story bears a strong "resemblance" to the Boston Marathon bombing and one of the main characters makes reference to not being able to find a lost boy (definite reference to the Jacob Wetterling disappearance, especially since that story takes place in Minnesota) it makes me feel the author is not creative enough to come up with an original story line. I listened to the whole story on audio CD, but found myself just hating the antagonist in this story so much that I couldn't wait to finish. 1 out of 10.
Profile Image for Albert Riehle.
497 reviews47 followers
May 30, 2017
I normally give out stars based on whether a book is good or bad. And this one is good. But I jumped it up from a 4 to a 5 star because it's also important. You don't see that a lot in this genre.

I'll also admit I almost skipped this entry in the series because of the topic. And I almost put it down a few pages in for that and the use of "Tweets" in the narrative. I'm very glad I kept on though.

Freeman tackles some difficult topics that matter right now and he does so very delicately. He doesn't play all sides but he does acknowledge each side has their points. In one place he acknowledges the kernel of truth in the opposing viewpoint and the statement has gravity because it comes from his hero character Jonathan Stride who has earned the readers trust.

The book has the usual crimes and police work and the late twist that's become something of a standard in Freeman's books. It has the cast we've come to love. This book is set apart by its depth though.

Social media witch hunts. Terrorism. Media Evangelists. The Islamic Faith. The Christian Faith. Vigilantism. Mob justice. Fear mongering. Extremisms...and how they all relate to police work. You'll get it all.

Freeman does a superb job of drawing out these issues and presenting them from different points of view. There's empathy for everyone--almost.

I highly recommend this book. Even if you've never read a book in this series you'll enjoy it and have no issues catching up (Freeman gives brief but full background on all the regulars).

Freeman took some risks on this one and they pay off big time. He's smart enough not to preach but to present. I don't know that he'll reach anyone firmly on the other side, but he more than meets them in the middle with this story and gives lots of reason for thought and compassion.

Enough. Go read it!
Profile Image for Pat.
2,310 reviews384 followers
February 28, 2019
This just has to get five stars, but OMG it was so, so sad. A bomb goes off close to the finish line of the Duluth marathon and people are horribly killed and maimed. Everybody thinks terrorism. One man in the road remembers being jostled by an Arabic looking man with a very grim expression shortly before the bomb goes off. He has a heavy looking backpack. This guy is a bit OCD so he trawls through the incredible amount of footage posted by spectators and eventually seems to find the man, moments before the bomb goes off, leaving the area in hurry, minus the backpack. He posts the photo to Twitter which has exploded on this topic and eventually the man is identified and every Muslim in Duluth's worst nightmare begins. The community is angry and wants justice or even revenge, spurred on by careless shit-stirring media junkies.

Of course, as we readers know, things are generally not as they seem and this time its Serena who notices a strange coincidence from a few days before the marathon and cannot let it go. Meanwhile the town is like a war zone and some very tragic events come to pass.

It is a perfect illustration of what can happen when people jump to conclusions, when mob 'justice' prevails, when events are put in motion that pit community members against each other, when tensions are stoked by outsiders with their own agendas. Often the real culprits or causes are much more prosaic. This is a very topical book and a big plea for calm and rationality to prevail. Thank you Brian Freeman.
Profile Image for Darlene.
563 reviews7 followers
May 20, 2018
Brian Freeman is one of my favorite authors, not only is he a fantastic writer but he is also from my home state of Minnesota. Marathon is the 8th book in the Jonathan Stride series. The Stride series takes place in Duluth, Mn on Lake Superior. Being on Lake Superior the city has very brutal winters, but the summers are beautiful. 42 years ago Grandmas Marathon was started and it is now a respected race known around the world. Dulthians are very proud to have this race in their city.
Marathon is a very fast paced, exciting book. This book touches on some very pertinent topics of our time: social media, stereotyping certain ethnic groups, bombs, hateful vengeance. Brian writes with such emotion that I actually, sadly felt that this story was really happening. There were several times throughout the book that I got so teary eyed I had to stop reading until my eyes cleared up.
I definitely recommend this book, not just because it's a Brian Freeman book, but because of the delicate subject matter Brian has covered.
Profile Image for Mª Carmen.
541 reviews
July 8, 2022
3,5⭐

Esta serie dejó de ser, hace ya algunos títulos, lo que era en sus comienzos. No es que la novela esté mal, pero ya da la impresión de que el chicle se ha estirado hasta el límite.
Tampoco descarto que aquellos que se inicien en la serie con este título lo disfruten más.
Profile Image for Beth.
383 reviews8 followers
June 19, 2017
This was a taut, finely crafted, page-turner. It was Brian Freeman good, and that's very good, indeed. Freeman checks all the boxes again. We have likable, capable married protagonists Duluth cops Jonathan and Serena Stride, sharp plotting with steadily building tension, compelling supporting cast characters who are a mixed bag from innocent victims to vile to depraved. And we have a huge dose of political and cultural clashes that mirror our divided country today. The plot is torn right from our headlines when the annual Duluth Marathon is targeted by an attack--an exploding backpack that kills and maims a number of people. And like the actual Boston Marathon bombing, the search soon narrows down to a search for a Muslim man as the main suspect. The problem is this man, as we soon find out, is innocent, but his life is shattered as he fights to survive. Racial hate and religious conflict and bigotry soon comes to a boil as the police and members of the Muslim community work to find the culprit and prevent more bloodshed. A particularly well-done character is a Twitter queen who lives to stir up anti-Muslim sentiment and ruthlessly and dangerously turns up the volume with rallies and hateful tweet after tweet. The parallels between our own sharply divided country and the power of social media are sharply drawn, and provides a mirror of our own reality now. The results are gratifying as a work of fiction, but so very heartbreaking when we see this story being played out for real every day with real blood and real tragedy. If only life could work out as satisfactorily as most mysteries, with evil punished and the innocent receiving at least some justice.
Profile Image for Rosa Dracos99.
694 reviews55 followers
February 11, 2020
Durante la maratón de Duluth, ciudad del norte del USA, explota una bomba. Stride y su equipo son los encargados de la investigación bajo las órdenes del FBI.
Octava novela de la serie de Jonathan Stride, siguiendo la misma tónica que las anteriores: narración ágil, personajes desarrollados, trama interesante.
En este caso, además con el trasfondo del terrorismo islámico y como en una sociedad normal se incrementa el miedo y la desconfianza hacia cualquier musulmán.
Profile Image for Michael.
415 reviews11 followers
August 16, 2019
This book gets 5 stars less for it's writing (probably 4 stars) but rather for the content, the plot.

It was not an easy book to read but it is very topical. It deals with prejudice, hate, violence instigated by hate speech. As I said, it's very topical.

It would be easy to say that this book blames Islamophobia as the main antagonistic theme but this would be less true when someone thinks about the overall theme.

We have a woman who expresses her hate toward all things Islam. Her speech is protected by the 1st Amendment and because of her hate speech, her use of Twitter to spread that hate, people die; innocent people die.

But in reading the book there is a valid note that certain members of Islam are indeed radical terrorists and instigate such thinking. This shouldn't be forgotten but it doesn't excuse the radical Islamophobia in the book and in our world today. Both are factors that must be taken seriously.

I am a fan of Brian Freeman. I consider him a good author of crime novels, not quite on the level of Sandford and this was a very decent book, yet it certainly was disturbing in its theme. It caused me anguish and tears as I read it.

I'm sure that some would take issue with the idea that Islamophobic hate speech should be blamed, but we only have to look at very recent events to see how hate speech, especially as disseminated through Twitter can cause our nation (and others) to mourn.

Patrick Wood Crusius took an assault type weapon and killed 22 people and wounded 24 more in El Paso, TX. Mr. Crusius had written a manifesto filled with anti Hispanic rhetoric, some of it obviously copied virtually word for word from comments made by Fox News personalities and even President Trump. Words can have consequences and hateful words can have fatal consequences.

There is ample evidence of radical Muslims causing death and destruction throughout the world, on both sides of the Atlantic. However; using these acts to label all Muslims as demons would be, and is as stupid as saying all white people from Alabama are racists.

I have known a few Muslims, not nearly as many Christians as I've known or are related to. I am an agnostic but respect those who believe in a higher power until they demand that I believe as they do. I've never met a Muslim who didn't give me that respect to believe - or not - as I do and that's true of most Christians as well; though hardly all.

Read this book because it's a good story, but also read it as an object lesson as to how we as a nation can be at fault and can be a source of unification. It's a good book for either reason, but if you don't agree with me, that's OK. I have no inclination to demand that you do or to think you're stupid for not agreeing with me.
Profile Image for Emanuela.
640 reviews2 followers
July 8, 2020
Scoperto per caso, continuerò senz'altro a leggere libri di questo autore, uno stile semplice, essenziale e seppur il libro fosse lungo, non mi ha mai annoiato, anzi l'attenzione è restata sempre alta, tanto da non riuscire a staccarmi dalla lettura. Il tema trattato è molto delicato e purtroppo molto attuale, un atto terroristico, di probabile matrice islamica, che colpisce partecipanti e pubblico di una maratona (il libro è uscito dopo la bomba alla maratona di Boston, di cui si fa cenno). Freeman riesce ad essere neutrale, facendoci comprendere perfettamente i pensieri e le paure degli accusati e degli accusatori. Il protagonista della serie, il giusto detective Jonathan Stride, sembra quasi messo in secondo piano, nascosto dalle ardite colleghe femminili, essendo il mio primo incontro con Freeman non so se la scelta sia consueta, ma a me è sembrata alquanto strana.
276 reviews7 followers
April 8, 2017
The title of Brian Freeman’s great new novel. MARATHON is deceiving. Once you start you will sprint through the pages to find out who committed a heinous and topical crime. As Dick Wolf, the prolific creator of shows like LAW AND ORDER, says Marathon is “ripped from the headlines.” As the title suggests, Duluth, Minnesota is hosting its annual marathon when a bomb explodes, injuring and killing countless bystanders and race participants. The F.B.I. and Lieutenant Johnathon Stride of the Duluth P.D. is tasked with finding and capturing the perp of this ugly and death-dealing crime. Their investigation centers on the Muslim community. We ride long as various elements of the intriguing and captivating investigation unwrap. Freeman portrays a community torn apart by politics, prejudice, and terror. MARATHON is a fascinating, captivating, and involving thriller/procedural that unquestionably merits the few days that it will take to finish.
Profile Image for Donna.
1,813 reviews2 followers
June 24, 2017
Detective Jonathan Stride's city of Duluth, Minnesota hosts a 26 mile marathon. His wife Serena is running in the race. As runners are crossing the finish line, a bomb detonates. People are killed, maimed. Someone with a backpack bumps into a spectator and he is sure the man is Muslim, which generates fear and anger within the city. The FBI is brought in and the lead agent's brother was killed in a previous ISIS attack. Stride attempts to rationally investigate the case, locate the bomber, and provide a voice of reason in a city in the midst of angst.

This story is extremely powerful and gets better as the book progresses. Freeman hits some very serious subjects of terrorism, suicide bombings, Muslims, instigators of violence, viral tweeting, fear, hatred, etc, and he combines all sides very well.
Profile Image for Tgordon.
1,031 reviews8 followers
February 1, 2021
Exciting and face paced. Also this one was actually sad. We can all say we don’t do it but we all have preconceived ideas about people of other cultures. This book shows that side of our culture.
Profile Image for Arturo Bandini.
784 reviews14 followers
January 14, 2021
A Duluth è il giorno della maratona cittadina, un'evento che è cresciuto negli anni, insieme al numero di partecipanti sempre maggiore. Per Jonathan Stride e i suoi colleghi della polizia, sono giorni di tensione e di preparativi per garantire la sicurezza di una folla che si riversa in strada per seguire i corridori. C'è tensione in città perchè alla maratona è presente anche Dawn Basch, fondatrice di un movimento anti islamista, capitanato da questa donna che non ha peli sulla lingua e che manovra i social media con le sue dichiarazioni estreme e pericolose. Quell'attentato al quale tutti hanno pensato scongiurandolo, si verificherà in maniera tragica, un'esplosione porrà fine alla vita di alcune persone e cambierà per sempre quella di chi ne rimarrà coinvolto, sia fisicamente che psicologicamente. Parte la caccia all'uomo, si cerca un attentatore che ad un certo punto, viene segnalato attraverso una foto presa in rete dalle tante immagini che gli spettatori hanno postato. La certezza della colpa però non arriva mai, ma la gente vuole un nome, un colpevole e lo avrà. Il sospetto si diffonde, muta, si evolve. La reazione a catena è incontrollabile, ha una vita propria che inghiotte amici e nemici di chi subisce l'annichilimento. Serena Stride, Maggie Bei e Guppo seguiranno l'indagine in ogni dettaglio, facendo attenzione a qualsiasi particolare che possa rivelare informazioni importanti. Vista la natura del caso, sarà l'FBI a prendere il comando dell'indagine mandando a Duluth l'agente special Gayle Durkin, che dovrà convivere con i suoi pregiudizi, visto che ha già perso un fratello in seguito ad un attentato. L'odio e la rabbia sono palpabili e accecanti, fanno commettere errori, modificano le opinioni, portano in direzioni errate. Solo Stride resta imparziale di fronte alla ricerca della verità.
Ho iniziato, anzi tentato di leggere questo libro in inglese, per mia fortuna è uscita la versione italiana ed ho continuato con la mia lingua. Questo mi ha consentito di apprezzare e ricordare molto bene l'inizio della storia. Il punto centrale è la spiegazione di come un equivoco, un errore o una circostanza sbagliata, possono generare una sequenza di atti violenti inarrestabili, come una palla di neve che rotola e non fa altro che accumulare altra neve e diventare sempre più grande. Questa è la cosa migliore del libro di Freeman che resta tra i miei autori preferiti. Qualche dettaglio rivedibile, come le motivazioni dell'attentatore, ma la storia ti coinvolge e ti attira per la voglia di conoscere al più presto come va a finire. Alla fine del libro c'è questa nota dell'autroe: Nell’aprile del 2013, il mondo ha assistito all’orrore dell’attentato alla maratona di Boston. Quella tragedia ha avuto un significato speciale per la gente di Duluth, perché la nostra grande maratona annuale è una tradizione della città. Perciò, scrivere questo romanzo è stato un lavoro molto difficile e personale, a causa delle emozioni che stimolava, sia sulla pagina che nella vita reale.
Profile Image for Jessica Bronder.
2,013 reviews21 followers
May 30, 2017
People have gathered in Duluth Minnesota for the city’s biggest event: Grandma’s Marathon. But just as the runners are heading to the finish line a bomb goes off just like at the Boston bombing. Someone was bumped into by a Muslim man with a backpack. His picture is found and posted on Twitter. Within minutes all Middle Eastern men are targeted. Then he is discovered and people jump to the conclusion that he is the cause of the bombing. But then the witness thinks he may have made an error. By then it’s too late the change the rolling force of vengeful people that have no desire to look at the truth especially when more victims are discovered. It’s up to Jonathan and his team to find the truth before an innocent man get blamed.

This is my first Jonathan Stride book and I was pleasantly surprised. This is a story right out of the headlines and written in such a way to make you think twice about events on social media. It’s is written so well that you feel just like you discovered the post on your own Twitter page and want to get justice for those injured or killed. But it also shows how easy it is to get the wrong information and how easy it is to blame the wrong person.

There is a lot of action and suspense that will keep you drawn into this story. You will race through the pages and will love the surprising ending. I loved this book and will definitely be catching up on the other Jonathan Stride books.

I received Marathon from Quercus for free. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this book.
Profile Image for Elaine Lucky.
535 reviews69 followers
January 18, 2022
The annual Duluth marathon is underway and right at the end of the race, BOOM goes a bomb. The city is set off in a rage after a very public figure incites vigilantism against the Muslims that she deems responsible for the bombing with no proof or reasoning. Protected by the 1st amendment she continues to spew her rhetoric on twitter along with her followers and pretty soon Stride, Maggie, Serena, & the FBI have more crime on their hands as they struggle to piece together the bombing, potential suspects, peace between the Muslim population that has nothing to do with the bombing, & an unstable FBI agent. Too many suspects, trying to stay ahead of false internet information, & more murders spurs the investigation in too many directions. Stride has a different viewpoint on who is really responsible, Maggie ties up too many coincidences, & Serena pieces together other leads. All while the city is on edge and people are taking the law into their own hands, Stride keeps a level head to get to the bottom of the smokescreens to nab the real bomber.
Profile Image for Jan.
1,878 reviews79 followers
July 26, 2017
An explosion occurs during the Duluth Marathon along the long course and several are dead, many injured. Maggie, Serena, Cat and Jonathan work with the FBI to find the "terrorists". A man believes that the person who jostled him while he was viewing the race was 100% responsible and, after going through hundreds of photos on the internet, finds him and posts the photo on Twitter. Kahn Rashid, a Muslim, becomes the primary suspect and the public is whipped into a frenzy by a "free speech" activist who targets all Muslims in this small city. Many twists and turns occur and the devastation one wrongful "tweet" can cause is frightening. Fast moving and intense, Marathon is very thought provoking.
Profile Image for Martina Sartor.
1,052 reviews24 followers
April 17, 2018
Un tema difficile come il terrorismo di matrice islamica, scritto da un americano per di più. Sono partita con qualche pregiudizio, temevo che Freeman mi facesse il solito apologo stile "God Bless America". Invece si misura con equilibrio con la difficoltà di capire questi eventi e decifrarli, con il rischio di fomentare odio da parte di chi tenta di difendere la propria nazione e i propri principi.
Ho trovato invece un Jonathan Stride un po' sottotono, forse "soffocato" dalle molte presenze femminili nel romanzo: Maggie, Serena, Cat, l'agente dell'FBI Gayle Durkin e pure l'attivista politica Dawn Basch. Però Stride è Stride e rimane uno dei miei personaggi preferiti nell,ambito del genere thriller.
Profile Image for Sherrie.
1,294 reviews
July 2, 2017
An excellent thriller/mystery, well written and riveting, which in and of itself makes it a 4. So why the 5?
Because this book is the proverbial onion. Layers upon layers of plot. And because it's actually important. Every page goes deeper into the ripple effect that one crime has on many peoples' lives. And because it's topical. This book couldnt present a starker portrayal of the world we live in today if it tried.
Crticisms? OK, the ending was a little pat. Small potatoes. This was a really good book.
Profile Image for Paris        (kerbytejas).
770 reviews126 followers
July 6, 2017
Marathon (Jonathan Stride, #8) by Brian Freeman, was more like a ripped from the headlines read. I felt the Islamaphobia to be too close to today’s reality – the hatred, prejudice, use of social media and loss of life was distressing to me. I didn't feel the end of the book, or the identification of the actual bomber justified the overall negativity of the book.

7/6/17 update
Please note the above comments pertain to the books topic and NOT to the author's personal views or attitudes. I like Brian Freeman very much as an author, and although this is a touchy subject matter for his book, I didn't like the way it played out.
Profile Image for Sandra Heinzman.
545 reviews33 followers
July 19, 2017
This is a book about an alleged terrorist attack at a marathon in Duluth, MN, a few years AFTER the Boston marathon attack. It deals with the police and FBI investigation into who was responsible for the attack and why and their search for the person(s). It kept me guessing for most of the book. It was a pretty fast read; I couldn't put it down. I like this author and want to look for more of his books, if any, as I really enjoyed it. I like thrillers and this did not disappoint!
566 reviews3 followers
April 21, 2020
It's nice reading Jonathan Stride again now that he's gotten over all of his personal issues and is once again a solid character and a respectable cop.

Two parts of the book that stand out to me:

- The hater who justifies her racist behavior because "... Washington is on our side now." Scary.

- The ending when Khan invites Malville and his family into his house to tell Malville about his wife and child, and Malville accepts. Touching.
742 reviews19 followers
August 29, 2017
This may be Freeman's best Jonathan Stride yet and that is saying a lot. Don't be put off by the similarities to the Boston Marathon bombing. I think you will understand that he is not copycatting when you get to the finish. I have a very sensitive PC meter and it didn't go off at all during the course of the story. Very realistic, indeed.
Profile Image for Linda.
824 reviews
May 20, 2017
First time sampling this author and found the pace and characters interesting. A plot pulled from the front pages only by the fact that there was a bombing at a marathon. A man who was bumped by a foreigner wearing a backpack raised an alarm. Hours of viewing security films isolates a suspect who is then hunted and haunted by hate. What is the truth? Is this another terrorist attack or is there a case of mistaken motive. Read. You will not be sorry.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 287 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.