Start by marking “Secret Lives of Walter Mitty and of James Thurber” as Want to Read:
Secret Lives of Walter Mitty and of James Thurber

Secret Lives of Walter Mitty and of James Thurber

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The WISP series (short for Wonderfully Illustrated Short Pieces) represents an ingenious marriage of two creative forces: the artistry of today's foremost children's book illustrators and the literary legacy of beloved authors of popular short works for adults. The resulting offspring of this union are captivating, full-color illustrated editions of timeless classics that ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Harper Design (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Lives of Walter Mitty and of James Thurber, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Yvonne
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Yvonne by: Christopher Dean
Walter Mitty is a mild-mannered little man with an overbearing wife, a she-who-is-to-be-obeyed type. However Walter has a rich life in daydreams, and herein lies the fun of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Quite charming and fun.
The Secret Life of James Thurber find the author lamenting the paucity of exotic background which keeps him from achieving the fame and fortune of Salvadore Dali. He then expounds on the imagery brought to the child's mind by such terms as "skeleton key," "the man who co
Terrance
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty movie a few years ago. Its my favorite movie, so I wanted to read the short story book. My local library only had Secret Lives of Walter Mitty and of James Thurber. I enjoyed this VERY SHORT story of Walter Mitty. I am not familiar with James Thurber, so I didn't like the Secret Life of James Thurber.
Matthew
I've always wanted to watch the Secret Life of Walter Mitty and because of my movie book club that I participating in, they showed that the movie is based from a short story so I looked up the story and found this only copy at my local library.

The illustrations by Marc Simont are fantastic and makes the story more enjoyable with having the graphic depictions to be exact to the storytelling. The story though very short, is about an old man named Walter Mitty, who drives into town with his wife an
Jordan
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Secret life of Walter Mitty is a very creative and interesting book, to me it is a slow reader because of the fact that you have to pay attention to the ... before each of his imaginations. The general setting and plot of the story I read is: ...Mitty is driving a boat in a storm. Comes back to real life, drops wife off at store. drives past hospital ... Mitty is a surgeon etc.
“Not so fast! You’re driving too fast!” said Mrs. Mitty. Is one of many verbal announcements after him having one of
Janet Wilcox
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A humorous look at mid-life marriage, and Thurber's character Mitty, who who is always day dreaming, and imagining himself as someone else. It was the perfect short story to read before seeing the new movie with Ben Stiller based loosely on this Thurber classic. The photography and landscapes were awesome in the movie!

I remember my parents saying Thurber was hilarious and trying to get me to read him when I was a teenager, but I never appreciated his humor until I grew up. I have to admit I rea
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
This is another of the series, Wonderfully Illustrated Short Pieces. I like this series and I want to find more of it. The publishers have taken short stories and essays from the past and teamed up the pieces with a suitable illustrator to make a, yes, Wonderfully Illustrated Short Piece. This is the second book in the series that I’ve read and I loved. I’m raving about it. I have put the other two in the series on my wishlist and I hope the publishers will continue to find great short works for ...more
Kate
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
"The beloved works of one of America's most celebrated writers is ... gorgeously illustrated in this collector's edition. Illustrator Marc Simont imaginatively renders the fantastic adventures of the famed protagonist in Thurber's beloved story and his tongue-in-cheek autobiographical essay 'The Secret Life of James Thurber', which first appeared in The New Yorker."

A charming book -- the drawings are whimsical and delightful. And of course the stories are well-known and indeed beloved.
Amy
Sep 07, 2013 added it
Favorite passage...

"There were many other wonderful figures in the secret, surrealist landscapes of my youth... It was a world that, of necessity, one had to keep to oneself and brood over in silence, because it would fall to pieces at the touch of words. If you brought it out into the light of actual day and put it to the test of questions, your parents would try to laugh the miracles away, or they would take your temperature and put you to bed."
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
When they say that The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a short story, they mean short. It seemed like it ended just as it was getting started, but I enjoyed the simple premise that grown-ups can daydream and imagine, too. The Secret Life of James Thurber was not my favorite, and as someone who is not really familiar with his works it just seemed kind of strange to me. C'est la vie.
Margaret
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-movies
Walter Mitty is a treasured story of mine and this edition is enhanced by Marc Simont's wonderful color illustrations. I had not read the essay The Secret Life Of James Thurber, so it was a treat to read his skewering of the publishing business and his cock-eyed reminiscences of his childhood. He will always be my favorite humorist.
Elsabe
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful! I often wonder about my appreciation of humour being a bit under developed. No more.
Could no doubt be taken like a daily tonic to brighten any old day up.
This is in particular a exceptional edition.
Jimmy
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
THis is a fun little book. Thurber's classic story is worth rereading and his short take on his own life is pretty funny. He compares himself to Salvador Dali. Enough said. Oh, and the illustrations by Marc Simont are darling.
Gina
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, 5-star
Wonderful illustrations combined with one of my favorite Thurber stories. I highly recommend this book and also recommend tracking down the episode of "Selected Shorts" where this story was read by Dick Cavett.
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am amazed at how short this is! I remember as a child watching the movie with Danny Kaye and had no idea it came from such a short story. I think it took me about 5 minutes to read this and I had to check to see if it was an abridged version.
Marilyn
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
50 States and at least 50 authors 2016 Reading Challenge. OHIO.
Mephistia
May 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
It's a cute little read. Quixotic.
Tracey
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
loved the Walter Mitty story, didn't really care for the one of James Thurber. i am really excited to watch Ben Stiller's version of Walter Mitty at the movies. the 1940s version was kind of boring
Rachel Miller
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr. Mitty clearly lives in a dream world. No one can fault him when you realize what his actual life is like. I found it a quick read that truly kept my interest.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed Walter Mitty, but really laughed out loud over Thurber's auto-biographical essay. The illustrations were humerous, even if they weren't Thurbers.
Christopher
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uc-classics
This is a very imaginative and charming book! The illustrations by Marc Simont make it an even more enjoyable journey. I highly recommend this quick read to everyone.
Marley Nelson
Sep 09, 2013
Bethany
Jul 12, 2014
Larissa
rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2014
Nov 08, 2016
Jessica Parsons
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Thurber was born in Columbus, Ohio to Charles L. Thurber and Mary Agnes (Mame) Fisher Thurber. Both of his parents greatly influenced his work. His father, a sporadically employed clerk and minor politician who dreamed of being a lawyer or an actor, is said to have been the inspiration for the small, timid protagonist typical of many of his stories. Thurber described his mother as a "born comedien ...more
More about James Thurber