Start by marking “The Internet of Money” as Want to Read:
The Internet of Money

The Internet of Money

While many books explain the how of bitcoin, The Internet of Money delves into the why of bitcoin. Acclaimed information-security expert and author of Mastering Bitcoin, Andreas M. Antonopoulos examines and contextualizes the significance of bitcoin through a series of essays spanning the exhilarating maturation of this technology.

Bitcoin, a technological breakthrough qu
Published August 29th 2016 by Merkle Bloom LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Internet of Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Internet of Money

Start your review of The Internet of Money
Josh
Sep 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Useless

I bought this book, because the work of people like Nick Szabo, Vinay Gupta and Vitalek Buterin is spread all over the Internet in blogs and YouTube videos, whereas this author, also known to be very technically knowledgeable on bitcoins, cryptocurrency and blockchain, compiled all of his lectures into a book with an audio format you could listen to while making breakfast. Unfortunately he doesn't share any real knowledge in these lectures. It's just like a really mediocre TED X lecture a
George
"The Internet of Money" by Andreas M. Antonopoulos is a solid introduction to the phenomenon of Bitcoin and other decentralized digital currencies. Antonopoulos explores the social, historical, political, economic, and philosophical dimensions of decentralized currencies.

This short book began as a series of presentations - most of which can still be seen via videos on the Internet.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in exploring many of the implications of decentralized currencies.

R
Johan Nguyen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author must be a poymath to write such an outstanding book that can totally change people’s perspective about money. A must-read in a near-decentralized world
ron btdtbttsawio
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very engaging book that is based on a series of lectures which can be found on youtube.

The author eloquently and enthusiastically compares bitcoin (which he considers a disruptive technology) with other disruptive technologies such as the automobile, electricity, the internet, and others.

Just as those emerging technologies had to fight the popular misconceptions (for example, why would you buy and drive a car on a muddy road full of potholes with nowhere to buy gas, when you can use a
C. Scott
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good. If you're interested in Bitcoin or blockchain this is a great place to start learning. Antonopoulos does a nice job knocking down a lot of the critiques you'll hear about Bitcoin as simply flash in the pan or a tulip-frenzy bubble. The author has a real knack for reaching back in history to find relevant metaphors for understanding the kind of potential that Bitcoin represents.

The concept of infrastructure inversion in particular was very eye opening for me. As Antonopoulos describes
Luis Michel
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction to the esoteric magic internet money. If you don't know what bitcoin is or if you know the basics but want to know more, Mr. Antonopoulos gives us great analogies and information to help us understand the concept and the implications of this technology. I gave it 4/5 because, due to the nature of the book (separate conference talks compiled together), at times I found it a bit repetitive in the beginning of each chapter.

From the moment I became aware of bitcoin as a
Sumit Ghosh
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-college
BTFD.
Eddie Wang
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty repetitive but overall a good intro to Bitcoin.
Laurent Michiels
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Using analogies with earlier technological disruptions such as automobiles and the Internet, the book explains a rather complex concept in layman's terms. I particularly liked the chapter 'Currency as a Language' (which takes a more philosophical view on currencies) and 'Bitcoin Design Principles' (about skeuomorphic design problems associated with Bitcoin).

Do however not expect an in-depth analysis of the underlying technology or applications. In addition, it's true that the book sometimes repe
Skyler Jokiel
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of talks that will get you excited about blockchain!
Jeff
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An essential read in 2018 - as the world of "money" is being turned on it's head by crypto currencies like Bitcoin in this once in a generation event, Andreas does a wonderful job of explaining using metaphors based on the "money" systems we are used to and when such metaphors are not applicable. Interesting format - it's a summary of talks he's done. I also strongly suggest watching his talks on video, his passion really comes through.
Salman Ansari
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This will change the way you think about Bitcoin, money, and its potential to totally change the way our global economy works. I’m definitely gonna need to read this a few times.

NOTE: This is just a collection of his talks, so if you prefer video those are all available on YouTube. I just like being able to read and highlight etc... though I may end up watching all the talks anyway. I started highlighting which talks to watch in the book, before realizing I was just highlighting them all...incre
BLACK CAT
Amazing! Bitcoin, the internet of money! Well-written, funny and super-informative.

Some key concepts:

Trustless: evaluate rules without human intervention and be trusted without humans. Independent validation of the blockchain - self-verifying system.

Personless: autonomous financial entity with no human ownership.

The blockchain: Platform with trust functions.
Michal Takac
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth every penny

Very good introduction to bitcoin alsp useful for people that do understand what bitcoin is, but do not understand what bitcoin isn't and how it will eventually change the lives of the people.
Mehrsa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This is just really strong koolaid for the already drunk on bitcoin. He clobbers straw man argument after straw man argument and calls everyone who isn't convinced bitcoin is the answer to all of the world's problems a luddite.
Victor Garcia
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read and great for anybody wanting to get into the crypto space. Mainly for newcomers, if you've been into crypto for a while you'll just blaze through the book. Entertaining read nevertheless, love Andreas' analogies and metaphors.
Jeff Ito
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great primer on Bitcoin

Andreas created a great, informative book on where money stands past, present and future. Bitcoin and it’s blockchain are the first of its kind to become a real cryptographically secure content type for money, which may be mankind’s most commonly traded type of resource.

Who knows what kind of applications will be created in the future utilizing the transparency and seamless technology of the blockchain for business, governments, public use and others. I would recommend Th
Artiom Karsiuk
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
An excellent book on the evolution of the automotive industry, electricity and the Internet. Oh yeah, and... Bitcoin.
I mean, I realize that this book was just a compilation of Andreas' talks, but he really likes drawing parallels between the three and cryptocurrency: it came to a point where [midway through the book] I felt like at rock concert, reciting "the lyrics" word-for-word, when it came to his examples of the universal doubts/ridicule accompanying the development of automobiles, adoption
Dustin
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book, or rather collection of transcripts, helps us understand bitcoin at a broad level. It's not the nuts and bolts explanation of how bitcoin works, which means that this is a great introduction for the non-specialist.

Mr. Antonopoulos does an excellent job of using metaphor and historical examples to illustrate the potential of this new technology.

If you want to understand bitcoin in layman's terms, check this out. Einstein said that if you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well
Mark Hillick
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book summarises a set of lectures over the last few years excellent introduction by Andreas. It serves as a guest introduction into Bitcoin, but more so on the philosophical side of things and where Bitcoin fits into the (financial) world.

Thought-provoking and greatly encourages the reader to learn more about Bitcoin. The biggest benefit of the book is that it truly makes Bitcoin accessible to the lay-person.
Fleming Slone
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Great overview of the possibilities that Bitcoin and blockchain technology make possible. Andreas is a true visionary.
Klajdi
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book about Bitcoin. This is a book about today’s society, access to finance and freedom of communication and participation.
Giedrius
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of transcripts from most famous public talks Andreas Antonopoulos has given. When it comes to cryptocurrencies and Bitcoin Andreas is quite a visionary. So it was fascinating to see how key points of Andreas' talks evolved as Bitcoin got more and more traction. From the very basic concepts and use cases to question of scaling the technology behind Bitcoin.

In every talk, the author uses clear and understandable analogies and historical references to prove his point. The
Emily
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Andreas M. Antonopoulos is supposed to be an expert on the technical aspects of bitcoin, but there was no actual technical information in this book. At no point is there any detail on what exactly a blockchain is, how it works, etc. The book is a compilation of short talks Antonopoulos has given over the years and they almost all sound like a cross between an inspirational TED talk and a marketing pitch. Yes. we get that bitcoin has lots of potential. Yes, we get that it's a potential parad ...more
Samuel Oktavianus
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
The Internet of Money is a crypto/bitcoin book written by a Greek Tech entrepreneur/bitcoin advocate Andreas Antonopoulos. While I was searching for an introduction to cryptocurrency book, 99% of people recommend me this book. So what the heck, why not give it a try? What's so special about it?

Essentially, the book is about the "what" and "how" of bitcoin—It demystifies bitcoin and cryptocurrency in simple terms. The book is based on a number of conference talks that the author has done over the
Mike Siegel
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's not quite a "book", it's a series of lectures Andreas has done throughout the years. I enjoyed each one and his enthusiasm for the potential of crytpocurrencies and Bitcoin is infectious (and logical).

My one knock on the book is it tends to repeat itself. Not just with concepts, but the same exact words. Volume II is great but same thing, many repeats from Volume 1.

This book is a great primer on Bitcoin. It's for "everyone". You don't need to have a background in computer science or finance
KNCHNGL
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Context: I was first half serious about bitcoin back in 2013, when it was hovering around the US$600-700 mark. Opening an account was a pain in the ass, so I stopped halfway. Incessant coverage over the last couple months finally prompted me to spend some focused time on trying to understand the hype a bit better.

Liked: If mainstream news and blog coverage can be summarized as Bitcoin 101, and properly researched, academically referenced well-written white papers as Bitcoin 201, then this would
Rutger
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Collection of speeches by Andreas Antonopoulos, one of the better known bitcoin evangelists. He is a true believer in bitcoin's promise. His constant internet analogy is both a weak and a strong case against bitcoin; on the one hand, yes the internet became a slow-moving world conquerer and bitcoin seems to follow a similar pattern; on the other hand, historicism is a poor tool: Bitcoin is not the same as the internet, the forces and challenges are different. Bitcoin might fail over issues the i ...more
Andrew Thappa
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A good overview of the "why" behind the cryptocurrency revolution. The book is essentially a tidied-up version of various speeches he has given over the years. Because of this, the overall theme of the book is that Bitcoin is here and isn't going away and each talk explains why that is important across a variety of different dimensions (the unbanked, permissionless innovation, etc.).

The key take-aways from the book are:

1) Bitcoin is a protocol just like TCP/IP and is the first network centric,
ybk
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Antonopoulos is an evangelist for Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency (he is not a sole advocate of Bitcoin only; he thinks there will be millions of different coins in the future) who understands (obviously) the technology very well and explain to the non-technical audience (including myself) very well.

One of his good historical argument from this book, which is combined of his public speeches (that means you could watch all of them on YouTube), juxtaposing how the new technology such as cars adopted to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Claiming a book 3 156 Sep 20, 2016 12:08AM

• The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
  • Cryptoassets: The Innovative Investor's Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond
  • Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money
  • The Internet of Money Volume Three: A collection of talks by Andreas M. Antonopoulos
  • Mastering Ethereum: Building Smart Contracts and Dapps
  • Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World
  • The Little Bitcoin Book: Why Bitcoin Matters for Your Freedom, Finances, and Future
  • The Business Blockchain: Promise, Practice, and Application of the Next Internet Technology
  • The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and Digital Money Are Challenging the Global Economic Order
  • The Book of Satoshi: The Collected Writings of Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto
  • The Truth Machine: The Blockchain and the Future of Everything
  • Bitcoin Billionaires: A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption
  • The Price of Tomorrow: Why Deflation is the Key to an Abundant Future
  • Aftermath: Seven Secrets of Wealth Preservation in the Coming Chaos
  • Inventing Bitcoin: The Technology Behind The First Truly Scarce and Decentralized Money Explained
  • The Sovereign Individual: Mastering the Transition to the Information Age
  • Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction in 25 Steps
  • Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Andreas M. Antonopoulos is a technologist and serial entrepreneur who has become one of the most well-known and well-respected figures in bitcoin. He is the author of two books: “Mastering Bitcoin”, published by O’Reilly Media and considered the best technical guide to bitcoin and “The Internet of Money”, a book about why bitcoin matters.

As an engaging public speaker, teacher and writer, Andreas m

News & Interviews

“At the end of the day, bitcoin is programmable money. When you have programmable money, the possibilities are truly endless. We can take many of the basic concepts of the current system that depend on legal contracts, and we can convert these into algorithmic contracts, into mathematical transactions that can be enforced on the bitcoin network. As I’ve said, there is no third party, there is no counterparty. If I choose to send value from one part of the network to another, it is peer-to-peer with no one in between. If I invent a new form of money, I can deploy it to the entire world and invite others to come and join me. Bitcoin is not just money for the internet. Yes, it’s perfect money for the internet. It’s instant, it’s safe, it’s free. Yes, it is money for the internet, but it’s so much more. Bitcoin is the internet of money. Currency is only the first application. If you grasp that, you can look beyond the price, you can look beyond the volatility, you can look beyond the fad. At its core, bitcoin is a revolutionary technology that will change the world forever. Join” 4 likes
“One of my favorite words is a French word: sousveillance. It is the opposite of surveillance. Surveillance means to look from above; sousveillance means to look from below. In their dream of nation-states controlling all of our financial futures, they made one major miscalculation. It’s a hell of a lot harder for a few hundred thousand people to watch 7 1/2 billion. But what do you think happens when 7 1/2 billion of us stare back? When the panopticon turns around? When our financial systems, our communication systems, are private, and secrecy is an illusion that can’t be sustained? When crimes committed in the names of states and powerful corporations are vulnerable to hackers and whistleblowers and leakers? When everything eventually comes out? We have a great advantage because the natural balance of the system is one in which individuals can have privacy but the powerful cannot have secrecy anymore.” 4 likes