Start by marking “Stuff” as Want to Read:
Stuff

Stuff

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
This digital document is an article from The Futurist, published by World Future Society on March 1, 1998. The length of the article is 2692 words. The page length shown above is based on a typical 300-word page. The article is delivered in HTML format and is available in your Amazon.com Digital Locker immediately after purchase. You can view it with any web browser.

From t
Published January 1st 1997 by Northwest Environment

To ask other readers questions about Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuff

Enerel
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Very informative!!! Sustainability class instructor required us to read this little 88 page book. I think everyone in his/her lifetime should read this book and try to be more eco-friendly.
Here's the ebook link: http://file.henrikedstrom.com/cps/SKM...
ene nomiig yalanguya togtvortoi hugjliin tuhai hicheel zaalgaagui mongol humuus unshaad uuriin heregleegee uur untsguus haraad uzeesee, uuriin chin baigald orchind uzuulj bgaa footprint yu bilee geed bodood uzeesei gj bodloo. Yalanguya hugjij bui
Marshall
This short little book goes through a handful of things most of us use every day and take for granted, like cars, computers, and food, and describes all the resources that went into creating and delivering them. That's why I read it, and insofar as it delivered, it was an interesting book. But most of it was just environmentalist moralizing, tsk-tsk-tsk, shame on you, you mean old consumers. Be "friendlier" to the Earth and clean up your act (as if the problem was unfriendliness and dirt.) This ...more
Heather
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book. It's short but it covers the gamut of environmental issues. Also touches on health, toxins, human rights and more. It gently helps you pause and think about ways you can reduce your impact, but it doesn't come across as judgmental at all. Yes, it's 20 years old, but the message still has power. Should be required reading for all.
Lei Koopmans
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
STUFF, The Secret Lives of Everyday Things by John C. Ryan Alan Thein Durning

In this book, John explains the secret lives that everyday materials go through before becoming into their complete state. It is based on a typical North American day, and is detailed to the point that there is no single detail that could possibly be missing. He includes things like his morning coffee, his car and bike, and his shoes he wears. He explains how they are manufactured, and every step it took to become the
Winifred
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: zack landau
Shelves: environmental
A group of us went out to lunch together and the topic of ordering vegetarian meal came up, and in turn this brought about the California water crisis. A friend brought in this book and introduced me to it, I am blown away that the information is from 1997 yet still holds true. How was I so not informed in my school days and not until recently was educated on the topic of consumption/earth balance/meat industry?

A good read for anyone who is willing to listen and reconsider their lifestyle from
goldread ~
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY ONE
Shelves: a-must, nonfiction
on average, people in the US dispose of 5lbs. of waste every day.
this book breaks down the cycle that we take part in on a daily basis and it is pretty involved.
i can attribute this book in part, to the inspiration that i had to have one week out of every month where i do not purchase any products that have any thing to do with adding to the landfills, even eliminating recycleables; bringing reusable bags every where i go, eating at home, ect. it is quite challenging.
try it out if you like.
Sandy
should be required reading for EVERY child in the 1st World. What we either never bother to think about or bluntly chose not to see this book highlights the hidden effects of EVERY SINGLE THING WE USE IN OUR DAILY LIVES... be it a cup of coffee... or the book itself that tells us all... very powerful and depressing... but STUFF WE GOTTA KNOW, More importantly, STUFF WE HAVE GOT TO OWN UP TO and BE RESPONSIBLE FOR.
Zachary
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good for what it was. It took some everyday activities and tracked in detail how all of the stuff involved was created. It didn't stress trying to change anyone (just a few comments here and there about how to reduce waste). It was more about creating awareness.

It's also not a terribly exciting book, but it's relatively short, just long enough to give some good examples without dragging on.
Jason Marciak
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ryan and Durning's Stuff is a must read for anyone interested in the full workings of their actions of consumption and production. It opens the mind to the full life of our objects and the effects that ideology of rampant, no holds barred capitalism has on the natural environment and civilization as a whole. An excellent read.
Christa - Ron Paul 2016
This was an interesting book about hoarders and some of the problems they face with getting rid of their things. Barriers in their minds that some people may not realize at all, and others see in themselves. One or two chapters were rather boring, but when she was talking about real stories I found it interesting.
Ramona
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enviro
Awesome little book! Easy read. Very informative! It goes over the resources used in making a specific product (e.g. a t-shirt, a hamburger, a newspaper, coffee, cars, etc), using it, and disposing of it. The information is presented in a fun, easy-to-read manner. I've assigned this as a textbook in a lot of my classes. Students really love it!
Sophia
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Zero Waste blog, learning about food issues, and reading other books about stuff and the environment, I don't think this adds much of anything new. But it was published in the late 90's, which may have inspired the resources I have access to today.
Brian
Nov 16, 2007 rated it liked it
This book describes a lot about the supply chains of everyday goods and how they impact the environment. Though each chapter ends with suggestions about how to make things better, the overall tone of the book is nevertheless a bit down/depressing. Nevertheless, a decent read.
sana
Apr 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Very cool book. Drives the point home that we live in a global world. It's a short and easy read
Aubrey
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Informative, depressing.
Winston
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good quick read. ya, where does the "stuff" of everyday come from. What is the foot print of my easy livin.
Tia
May 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know where their stuff comes from!
A quick, fun, informative read that gives you a basic idea where all your everyday items come from, how they're made, and how many resources went into making them.
Danielle H
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and informative.
Ming
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
imformative, but very discouraging
Amanda
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Hope they come out with an updated version.
Katie Wright
Apr 02, 2012
Brad
Jan 29, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from The Union of Concerned Scientists
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • ZOOM: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future
  • The Post-Corporate World: Life After Capitalism
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • A Simpler Way
  • Natural Capitalism
  • Break Through: From the Death of Environmentalism to the Politics of Possibility
  • Sneakiest Uses for Everyday Things
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline Of Leisure
  • Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology
  • The Big Pivot: Radically Practical Strategies for a Hotter, Scarcer, and More Open World
  • Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • Mindstorms: Children, Computers, And Powerful Ideas

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“In our personal lives, we can seek to align our behavior with our values. We can live more simply, at once reducing environmental impacts, saving money, and leading by example. In our public lives—in our workplaces and in our democracy—we can advocate for dramatic reforms in the systems that shape our consumption patterns. We can, for example, advocate the elimination of perverse taxpayer subsidies such as those that make aluminum too cheap and undammed rivers too rare. And we can promote an overhaul of the tax system. If governments taxed pollution and resource depletion, rather than paychecks and savings, prices would help unveil the secret lives of everyday things. Environmentally harmful goods would cost more and benign goods would cost less. The power of the marketplace would help propel the unstuffing of North American life.” 0 likes
“The time is ripe for confronting consumption. Not only are ecological problems like climate change more pressing than ever, consumerism has lost some of its allure in its North American epicenter. A majority of Americans already feel that their quality of life is suffering because of overemphasis on work and material gain. Encroachment of work and shopping on leisure time has millions of people searching for ways to restore balance in their lives—through lifestyles that trade money for time, commercialism for community, and things for joy. These people—”downshifters” or practitioners of “voluntary simplicity”—may one day attract the majority to their way of life by demonstrating that less stuff can mean more happiness. A North America that prospers without overusing the Earth—a sustainable North America—is entirely possible. All the pieces of the puzzle—from bike- and transit-friendly cities to sustainable farms to low-impact lifestyles—exist, scattered all over the continent. All that remains is for us to do the work of putting the pieces together.” 0 likes