Start by marking “Dust of Kansas (Calm Act Genesis #2)” as Want to Read:
Dust of Kansas (Calm Act Genesis #2)

Dust of Kansas

(Calm Act Genesis #2)

The Calm Act is born in the dust of Kansas

Fort Leavenworth Kansas is home to the elite US Army Command School. Major Emmett MacLaren and his roommates look forward to a placid year pursuing master’s degrees in advanced military planning.

But all is not well in Kansas. A Dust Bowl is brewing to rival the worst hard times of the twentieth century Depression. Rivers and aquife

To ask other readers questions about Dust of Kansas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust of Kansas

Start your review of Dust of Kansas (Calm Act Genesis #2)
Clare O'Beara
This is a short story following a group of friends, some in the US Army, some just out, as migrant camps from drought-stricken Kansas clog up their home towns and spill over rivers to neighbouring states.
For those of us who are non-Americans, a map might be useful, so we could understand which states are dried and their topography, which rivers are seen as strategic.
Bartering with Army food for furniture brings home how dear food is, and how little possessions will be of value to people on the
Stephen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I have read both Calm Act Genesis stories (Civilly Disobedient and Dust of Kansas), I have a clear and bleak picture of the world Ginger Booth has created.

Dust of Kansas gives us the erosion of those sacred principles of 'Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness' until we are left with only the struggle for survival. This story presents the last days before the Calm Act is officially passed and executed to quell unrest in the USA caused by food shortages and drought.

The USA we see h
Michael Sump
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of two pieces of short fiction collectively called The Calm Act Genesis. These two novelas provide the reader with an entertaining story, while providing background on how the climate crisis first began to dramatically affect the people of the United States.

We meet Major Emmett McClaren, a lead in all 3 Calm Act novels, who is ordered to attend an Army leadership school in Leavenworth, KS.

He gets his first glimpse of the “Grapes of Wrath” desperation descending on the people
Ann Kilburn
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-reviews-on
Climate change is hitting America hard; no rain, underground water tables drying up and crop failures is causing the country to turn into a desert. American citizens are turning into refugees, moving from town to town, desperate to find a place to settle that has food and water. The government devises the Calm Act in secret which essentially places the country under martial law and limits the rights of all the people, like freedom of speech and movement.

Emmett, Cam and John are three of the mil
Dianne
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second of the short stories constituting Calm Act Genesis, prequel to the Calm Act series, Dust of Kansas introduces us to some more of the characters who will pick up the story in the actual series.
The Calm Act has just been enacted; this is a governmental response to the implications of, and possible population reactions to climate change. Major Emmet McClaren and his roommates are in Command school, tasked with considering the Calm Act and focussing on what might happen in the circumstan
Sarah Crawford
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Climate change has dealt a severe blow to the world. In the United States a severe drought has caused many people to try to move from one area to one where they think the living conditions are better. This has resulted in some states guarding their borders and requiring proof of people living there before they are allowed in.

Freedom of speech has been curtailed, all civilian flights have been canceled and American forces overseas are returned to help out with trying to control the situation. Th
BarbaraH
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting short story. I believe it contains in more bks. I think I would have liked it more if I had the full series. Felt incomplete.
Mark Fisher
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second tale in the lead up to the Calm Act series. This
introduces three young servicemen, still in training school, who are
instrumental in editing the Calm Act, a draconian USA government act
limiting people rights, such as the freedom of movement, the right to
protest, certainly the right to know what is going on. This is mainly
because of climate change, now irreversible, the USA has not enough
food, water, anything. The first book, Civil Disobedient, introduces Dee,
Apr 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gray: Part I
  • Fade (Wake, #2)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett #20)
  • Duplicity
  • Floating Twigs
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Geostorm: The Collapse (Geostorm #3)
  • The Lucky Prepper: A Gardener's Story of Surviving a Pandemic
  • Humanaty's Blight: Post-apocalyptic
  • Sarah's Valley
  • Out of the Silent Planet (The Space Trilogy, #1)
  • Asteroid Discovery (Gunner Fox #1)
  • Geostorm The Tempest  (Geostorm #5)
  • Geostorm The Pioneers  (Geostorm # 6)
  • OLD HOUSE
  • The Widow's Walk
  • Sudden Chaos (Days of Want #0.5)
  • All That Escapes (Lone Survivor #3)
Continuing with the Calm Act Series. To volunteer as a test reader, please see books.gingerbooth.com. There you'll also find a scrapbook of photos, news, etc.

I still vape and garden, of course! Reach the sites and blogs about my non-fiction via books.gingerbooth.com as well.

In addition to my writing and hobbies, I'm a web programmer. I've worked in the seismic industry, semiconductor electronics,

Calm Act Genesis (3 books)
  • Civilly Disobedient (Calm Act Genesis #1)
  • Road to Humble Texas (Calm Act Genesis #3)