Start by marking “Profoundly Disconnected” as Want to Read:
Profoundly Disconnected

Profoundly Disconnected

About the Book... It's true. Mike Rowe has written a book. A real book. The print isn't even dry and already they're flying off our virtual shelves. You won't find it on Amazon and in fact, this is the only place you can buy it. Grab one for yourself and a friend (they make great gifts) by clicking one of the buttons below. While Mike was in the writing mode, he also asked ...more
Published by Mike Rowe Works (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Profoundly Disconnected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Profoundly Disconnected

Start your review of Profoundly Disconnected
Lindsay
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Mike Rowe is a man I will stop my day to listen to, whether he's giving a speech or writing down his thoughts. I began as a fan of Dirty Jobs, but his dedication to the cause of understanding just what it is about Americans and hard work that has us all so twisted (and putting his money and talents where his mouth is with all of his organized efforts to help fix a persistent and growing problem) has kept me following him post-show.

I bought this book because the money goes to his foundation (he
Dominic Tiberio
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Let me preface this with a bit of a disclaimer, I consider this book to be more of a free gift for a donation to The MikeRoweWorks Foundation. In that respect, I think it is fine. This isn't really a book, it is a foreword, a single paragraph, and then half of the book is comprised of blank pages, and the other half are previously published articles and interviews. I enjoyed having those interviews and articles in one place and they all carry Mike's message loud and clear and offer a lot to thin ...more
Traci
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, in its own way. Rowe makes no apologies about this being a promotion for his initiative, mikeroweWORKS. And the articles in the appendix (which makes up half the book) are rather repetitive.

But it's a message worth repeating.

There are jobs available in this country, good jobs, that are going unfilled. Why? Because they're not "good" jobs, as in office-type, need-a-degree-type jobs. These are openings in the skilled trades, jobs like welder, pipefitter, plumber, etc. The current emplo
Melissa Gray
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I love what Mike Rowe believes about STEM being more than just women in computer science, this book was largely a collection of work that was dated. I was lured into buying the book because of Mikes blog--it is full of eloquent, straight to the point, rational points that speak to his focus on completing the mission of retooling our most basic skill sets to run our country's infrastructure. The book is largely flat as if it was merely a checkbox item to complete.

If it's your first exposur
De Vonna Stephens
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mike Rowe does such a good job of breaking down what's wrong in the work force and work attitude today in the US. I admire how he politely yet pointedly answers criticism and complaining.
Debgal
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a difficult rating. The rating is mainly for what Mike Rowe’s Foundation is doing to help folks get into infrastructure careers, which don’t require college. The book consists of some essays and editorials which have appeared in other publications. There are a lot of blank pages, just to make it look like a book.

That is fine with me, as all proceeds from the book go to support his foundation. Just be aware this isn’t really a ‘book’.

Good luck to Mike on his endeavor!
Craig Treptow
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was good to learn more about Mike. I think everyone should read what he has written to get another perspective on work. It's hard to argue with him.
Tag
"Amen"! One word that truly sums up Mike's book. There really is no need to write more, but for those wanting more of a review... Mike Rowe says it all so well in this book. I loved his blunt truth on the state of our economy, colleges, working hard, and hardly working.
The middle of the book totally made me giggle! ;) Though I totally understand this book is for supporting the trades, and you can't get it from any library or bookstore...I wish it would pass through the young hands of ever stude
Grace Best-Page
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A quick read, well-done, intelligent, but mostly Important! Important! Important! Everyone should read this. Did I mention it's important? Go, Mike Rowe, go! More and more of us will be listening! I'll be getting your message out to as many as I can, starting with getting your book into the hands of those here in my own town that are also concerned with this very issue, and hopefully it will be useful in their cause.
Kim
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bringing his usual mix of dry humor, astute observation, and straight talk to the topic of preparing our youth for careers. Adamant that the worst piece of advice ever is to tell kids to follow their passion, Rowe says instead we need to teach kids to bring their passion with them. There's plenty worth considering in this "all proceeds go to charity" book.
Liz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Half-way thru this book, I promised to make it a required read for my children when they are deciding their own career paths. When I finished the book, I promised to print out the SWEAT Pledge, poster-sized, and hang it in a prominent place in our home.
Michele
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
More a donation for his foundation, MikeRoweWORKS, than an actual book, this was nevertheless a wonderful read. Even if I don't agree with him all the time, I think Rowe has the right idea regarding jobs in the U.S.
Holly.Lewis
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Mike Rowe even more after reading his book!
Chris
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much honesty in this book and extremely relevant to my current employer. Hopefully, I can take a few lessons from this read back to work with me. We need more people in the US to think this way.
Matt
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good points, but it felt like a sales pitch for the Mike Rowe works foundation.
Matthew Lafkas
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Love the content of his message, just wish the stories were a little less repetitive
Landon
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mike Rowe for President.
Michael
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Their are a limited number of copies to be purchased at Mike Rowe's Profoundly Disconnected website through ebay.
Denise
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not often that you get to read an entertaining book, with an important message and make a donation to a worthy cause. In fact this could have been a first. Buy this book.
Rick Winters
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nice easy read hard to get through without a smile.
Bryan
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read it. Even if Mike Rowe classifies this as a "fake book" and it's a fund raiser for his foundation....buy it, support it, read it.
Lucy
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
quick and excellent read. a must buy
Leonard

• Unbeaten: Rocky Marciano's Fight for Perfection in a Crooked World
  • The Well and the Mine
  • Come In and Cover Me
  • From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death
  • About My Mother: True Stories of a Horse-Crazy Daughter and Her Baseball-Obsessed Mother
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
  • Selfie: How We Became So Self-Obsessed and What It's Doing to Us
  • Break Shot: My First 21 Years
  • Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets, and Outright Lies from a Lifetime Writing for The Simpsons
  • Razor Girl (Andrew Yancy, #2)
  • Southern Lady Code
  • Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble (Miss Julia #14)
  • Summer Hours at the Robbers Library
  • Tell Me Lies
  • American Housewife
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
American television host and narrator, actor and former opera singer, best known for his work on the Discovery Channel series Dirty Jobs.