Start by marking “Game Alive” as Want to Read:
Game Alive

Game Alive

This is an alternate cover edition - ASIN: B00BE7HI4O

Jake and his friends must fight for survival when his virtual world takes on a mind of its own...

In the near future, virtual reality games are indistinguishable from the real world and Jake prefers to spend his free time building Xaloria, a virtual world he created from scratch.

However, all in Xaloria is not what Jake
Published February 10th 2013 by Ellington Marketing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Game Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Alive

Start your review of Game Alive
Kevin
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 and a half stars
While possessing most of the attributes of a litrpg, one of my favorite mechanics is left out. Leveling up and choosing the upgrade path. Instead (view spoiler) It could have been a really great book Im just sorry that it wasnt. The best thing about it was (view spoiler)
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A pleasant read which kept me interested. I am not a gaming person but the book was well-written and kept me intrigued. I liked how the characters grew. The way the VR world changed and the AI developed it's own intelligence was a bit nerve wracking as an example of what can happen
Trisha Perry
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jake has build a cool new Virtual Reality (VR) game and gets his friends to play, but when their friend Kari doesn't come out of Xaloria and the police start asking questions, Jake and Des go back to find out where she is and bring her home. What they don't count on is the that the non player character have taken over the game and want out and have Kari, trapped until someone helps them out.

This is a really cool gamer, action book. The VR world that Mr. Ellington has laid out is spectacular, and
Summers
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a pleasant surprise, the a light hearted litrpg, its not about stats and the story is not complicated and that's a good thing. No power trips, and its not the usually story of MC going to rpg world being overpowered ending slavery beating bad guys in a way that makes them just as bad.
This is about a boy with boy problems. upset that his mother is dating, upset about other changes in his life, he retreats to his fantasy world that was built by him. he has only 2 friends but they are
Douglas Debner
This is a kids book. The story line is basic: kid genius invents something but then things go awry. The ending is happy and convenient enough for a 1/2 hour tv sit com. Still, the story is well told and the author does a good job, this is especially true considering that English is a second (or third?) language for him.

If this book was being rated by comparison to other LitRPG books I've read it would get 4 stars. Most of those books are written by gamers first and authors second which largely
Myste
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good. I enjoyed this one, and I think my 13-year-old cousin will love it even more. This would be the perfect book to convert a videogame loving adolescent into a reader; 100% age appropriate for 10+ (and their parents!). There's a good balance between the arrow flying, sword clashing action and slower, more thoughtful moments, with a good life lesson about thoughtfulness and compassion toward others at the end. If kids were given more books like this in school, we'd definitely be ...more
Douglas
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story about the possible problems with a too realistic VR program.
Ray Dunn
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dungeons and Dragons in the mature Virtual Reality era

A nice light hearted take on the D&D genre, which struck me as written for young adults, though I didn't see it rated as such.

A good gripping read, that is very much about the mystery of the underlying plot, so suffice it to say there is magic and the odd quest involved☺

A shame I'll probably not be alive, when VR reaches that level...
Logan Horsford
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
The first chapter is a bit of a slog to get through.

You can tell a lot by the first sentence or first paragraph of a book. Despite these not grabbing the attention, I slogged on just because it was a LitRPG book.

It details a young person who is some sort of VR programming genius and for some reason doesn't seem to know about nor understand the usual young mans sport of masturbation.

Even though he can make his own virtual reality.

Which is odd. Unnatural, some might say. Guessing the book might
D.E.
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, indie-authors
"Game Alive" in an enjoyable tale that follows a clear formula but manages to stand out in its own right and avoid becoming formulaic or cliche.

The characters are well defined and real - drawing the reader into their plight.

The virtual world experience is well thought out and detailed. It made me wish I could log-in with the characters and romp around Xaloria with them.

There were some very obvious typos which could easily be corrected, and (for my personal tastes) I would like to see the
Autumn
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Another litRPG novel that started out strong but faded rather quickly. Good to pick up as a freebie, but not worth paying for.
Linda
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I obtained this ARC from the author in return for an honest review and I can't wait to see what the trio of friends get into next as Jake is a fascinating teen! HURRY WITH THE SEQUEL TRIP!!
Carly Kirk
Good YA book

This is a good YA book. The premise of the kids being stuck in the game and trying to get out was well done and interesting. Can definitely recommend.
Lindsey
Dec 14, 2016 added it
Shelves: y-litrpg, z-dnf
Very seriously meant for pre-teens.
Sherry Vaughan
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly moral tale for gamers.
Kurt
May 02, 2016
David
Oct 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Weirdest Noob (The Weirdest Noob #1)
  • Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)
  • The Reborn (Eden's Gate #1)
  • Two Tocks before Midnight (The Agora Mystery #1)
  • I Call Your Name (Living Praise #1)
  • Once Taken (Riley Paige Mystery #2)
  • Kill the Quarterback
  • Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)
  • Cause to Kill (Avery Black Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey Witches - Complete Season 1
  • Virtually Scared To Death (Julia Blake Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • A Trace of Death (Keri Locke Mystery #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Armed and Outrageous (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery, #1)
  • Faelorehn (The Otherworld Series, #1)
  • Die Noon (Goodnight Mysteries, #1)
  • Magic in the Stars (Unexpected Magic #1)
Trip Ellington's major books for 2017 are EverMage: Clash of Chaos, EverMage: Bond of Magic, and Gauntlet of Time.

You can get his bestselling litRPG novel, Game Alive, for free on his website.

Trip Ellington was born in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He has worked as a website designer, a Computer Science teaching assistant at the University of North Carolina, and an intern at a magazine publisher.