Start by marking “Surprise Packages (The Company of Good Women, #3)” as Want to Read:
Surprise Packages (The Company of Good Women, #3)

Surprise Packages (The Company of Good Women #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Twenty years later, the friendship that began at a BYU Education Week continues as Juneau, Erin, and Willadene discover that life is more than living by a checklist of events and accomplishments. Through letters, phone calls, and visits, the three women support each other in the face of whatever life brings- offering comfort during the sad times and celebration in the happ ...more
Published May 14th 2008 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Surprise Packages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprise Packages

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon KrakauerThe Executioner's Song by Norman MailerJunction, Utah by Rebecca   LawtonDesert Solitaire by Edward AbbeySalamander by Allen D. Roberts
Set in Utah
150 books — 74 voters
The Backslider by Levi S. PetersonThe Evening and the Morning by Virginia SorensenThe Chinchilla Farm by Judith FreemanA Short Stay in Hell by Steven L. PeckThe Scholar of Moab by Steven L. Peck
Mormon Literature
85 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Teri
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every mother, aunt, grandmother and even some hubbies!!! lol
Recommended to Teri by: myself

This third and final vol. of The Company of Good Women trilogy was the best. Juneau lives in Pasadena, Ca and has finally been able to come to terms with a long-held secret from her youth and is reunited with the boy she and her hubby raised that their wayward daughter Misty had out of wedlock. She gets involved with a new neighbor and ward member, who is keeping her abuse a secret. Deenie is not sure of the new move from Wellsville, Utah to Gainsville, Florida, where Roger gets a promotion. She
julia
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I did like the third installment, but I found as I read the three books together that these three women face a huge amount of trials. Most of us only have one or two of these trials to face, but they had to deal with the issues of gays in the church, drug addiction, divorce, a possible affair, and heart-attacks. And that's just their husbands!! Including the children adds a whole slew more of issues. After a while it seemed a little unrealistic, although I did like how each woman handled her set ...more
Vicki Wight
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shaylee Johnsen
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Kathleen
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This is the third in the Company of Good Women trilogy, and it was great to spend more time with these ladies. The title is from a lecture that they attended when they had one of their "reunions," this time in Arizona. The lecturer is a Native American who shares a wonderful insight:

"I have a personal belief that each decision we make in life
puts together a package that will inevitably be opened at some time in the future. Some decisions we make without
conscious awareness, and some we make by
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
The last book in The Company of Good Women series. I have been a fan of the series from the beginning with Almost Sisters. The sequel, Three Tickets to Peoria, was a cliffhanger. This last book not only resolves everything in an excellent way, but it is open enough to allow for more writing!

Definitely not your typical LDS book by the twists and turns the series takes (a pivotal character, for example, comes out and says he is gay) but probably my favorite LDS series since The Work and the Glory
Carol
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this trilogy. I could not wait to find out what was going to happen to these three women and their families. Like I said about book one, this is not just another "Molly-Mormon" novel. It is about trials, tests, bad and good times. I enjoyed how each one dealt with each hurdle they encountered as they went down the path of life, and the role these life-long friends played in the others lives. All three were very fast reads and kept your attention along the way. You really have to read a ...more
Kathy
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this final book in the Company of Good Women series. It had been a while since I read the first 2 books so I had forgotten who some of the minor characters were.
I love that these women were so easy to relate to. They struggled through trials & triumphs that many of us go through being spouse, siblings, mothers & friends.
In my own life I've been blessed by some wonder women to help me through the trials of my life. Not sure where I'd be without Sandy, Leslie & Barbi
Kristine
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I "stumbled across" the first book in this series "Almost Like Sisters" a couple of years ago, and just loved it. It was followed by "Three Tickets to Peoria", and now "Surprise Packages". I loved reading about the growth that these women made from their first meeting up through this book--and the way their personal growth affected (and was affected by) the others in their lives. I assume that this is the last book of the series--but would be happy to have it continue!
Deeanna
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed reading this series about three good friends, plus a mentor good friend. One thing, though, is it feels like you run through a lot of years to pack everything in, some times it goes too fast. But I liked the characters, they were written in a way that they seemed real and if I was in an English class I'd say they were dynamic. I would recommend reading all three books, starting with the first.
Kate
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best book in a great trilogy. I feel like I had many aha moments that would have been great to get from my own friends, but which nonetheless helped me to gain insight into myself and others. For instance, every woman is the heroine in her own life, so don't feel let down when your rescues play only a supporting role. And it never hurts to tell people that you love them for all they are, but would still love them if they changed. Really fun storytelling coupled with great wisdom.
Carla
Jun 19, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the final in the trilogy. I finished the 2nd book about 2 years ago so I had a hard time remembering all of the characters and their stories and connections. I liked the book and found a lot of quotes in it that I wrote down. I think it had a good message. The basic story is of 3 women who met at BYU Education Week. They hit it off and made a committment of having mini-reunions for 25 years. They met their committment and had so many experiences along the way.
Charlotte
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
A satisfying finish to the trilogy. I again couldn't put it down. I picked it up from the library, started reading it, and finished it the next day! Again, the women in the book are faced with hard, real life situations, have to learn to deal with them, and the authors don't try to make up simple solutions. I should also mention that the trilogy spans about 25 years in time, and I enjoyed the timeline references that the authors threw in from time to time.
Linda
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a delightful series. I enjoyed the comraderie between these three women. What an ultimute support group. I really hated to see the book end. The problems were real and the solutions were gained through gospel living and the support of such great friends. Everyone deserves this kind of caring in this life.
Gina
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this series all at once, ok I did sleep a little, go to school and the other day-to-day things, but I found myself thinking about the characters when I was NOT reading the book. The characters became real to me. It made me think more of relationships I have with good women and how I wish there was more time in my day to spend with them!
Christina
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this final book in the trilogy even more than the first two. When you follow the course of 25 years in the lives of 3 women, you can discuss a whole lot of issues that face us in the world today! The women were easy to identify with. I wish I made the effort to have some supportive 'best friends' like these women did!
Michelle Ratliff
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked this series. Like I said before some parts are depressing but it is very uplifiting and comforting. Makes me want to re-connect with old friends or make new traditions with new friends. They way the touch on all possible issues a family can have was intriging. I could not put it down. I was constantly wondering what happens next. Or what would a COB do. Great read.
Susan
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Meeting their 25 year pact, Erin, Jeneau, and Deenie rehash their lives--are they really COBs? Who knows? Most importantly they've stayed "almost sisters" all this time. What's next? "To quote Gabby, we pull up our socks and then put one foot in front of the other. And take the first step into the next 25 years of our lives."
Evamarie
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
OK I like the book the only reason I gave it a three was because the difficulty of remembering who all the supporting cast was. If anyone wants to read this series now is a good time since they are all written and don't space them to much apart. I read too much so sometimes it's hard to keep charercters straight.
Kathryn
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really got into this book series. It is amazing how real these peoples lives could be especially how the author intertwines real events into the characters lives. great lessons are learned and taught while life continues on her these three friends juney, deanne, and erin on their quest to become COB's( crusty old broads).
Sandee
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I liked it. It was a little slow for me even though it covered quite a bit of time. I found it hard to remember how old everyone had gotten! I liked how simple, realistic, easy to identify with, and happy the book seemed. The second one was hard to read with lots of tears. This was nicer. It got me thinking about things I need to do....
Linda
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series. The variety of difficulties and situations the three women encounter over a 25 year period is insightful. I read the books in this trilogy a year apart, and it would be even more enjoyable to reread them one right after another.
Lorraine
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
i was interested in how the trilogy was resolved and finished. it was like life. still some to live and no guarantees. i think everyone should read this trilogy to know we all have struggles and we are sometimes blindsided when they come. but we soldier on and slog through.
Nancy
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, lds-fiction
This was a nice way to end the series. It's funny how sometimes book characters can seem more like friends, which is how I felt about these characters after three books and tweny-five years of their lives. It's a pretty quick read, too.
Karlee
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read all three of the books in this series, and have really enjoyed each of them. They are about three ladies that meet at Education Week and become good friends that keep in touch through the years on their way to becoming Crusty Old Broads.
Melissa
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I did like these series of books. They talk about church stuff, but they're not completely churchy books if that makes sense. Some things I didn't like. But there are a lot of things that I did like. Good reads.
Dianna
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
the title Surprise Packages is a the best title to describe this third addition to the Company of Good Women trilogy. I did not want this book to end nor the series to end. I laughed, cried, growled at this book. wow.
Cathy
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all women out there
This was one of the best books in the series. Oh what a life these women have lived and how I could relate to each of them. I would recommend this book to all the women out there searching for who they are.
Katie W
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This book finished up the series. It was good, but had to cover a lot of time, which made for little details on some things. I did enjoy reading about these three different women and how they handled the things that came their way. A a light, enjoyable read.
Kedra
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series and was excited when the 3rd book came out. THese books were fun and kept me curious as to what would happen next. I loved that the chapters where split up between the 3 ladies.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Distant Thunder
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • The Topaz (The Bracelet Series, #3)
  • Redefining Joy in the Last Days
  • Bright Blue Miracle
  • The Uses of Adversity
  • Counting Stars
  • Unsung Lullaby

The Company of Good Women (3 books)
  • Almost Sisters (The Company of Good Women, #1)
  • Three Tickets to Peoria (The Company of Good Women, #2)