Start by marking “Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!

Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!

This sweet, rhyming counting book introduces young readers to numbers one through fifteen as Grandma's family and friends fill her tiny house on Brown Street. Neighbors, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and grandkids crowd into the house and pile it high with treats for a family feast.

But when the walls begin to bulge and no-body has space enough to eat, one clever grandchild
Published August 8th 2017 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Tiny House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Tiny House

Beth
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is so much more than a counting book. It is a celebration -- of family, friends, food, and life's riches that you simply can't quantify. Grandma's house in this book might be tiny, but it is giant in love.
Emily
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable premise, very cute illustrations and it made me very hungry (and it also made me wish for a big picnic in my grandma’s backyard)
Tasha
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Grandma is getting ready for a party. With two turkeys already baked, the neighbors start to show up. Three of them bring four dishes to pass. Five family members come with six dozen biscuits and jam. The counting continues through the story with lemonade, cheesecakes, sweet-potato pies, and honeydew melons being brought by more and more people. When the party starts, the house is too full for people to move. One little granddaughter has the solution and the party moves outside to the big backya ...more
Ann
Everyone is coming to grandma's house for a meal but will her tiny house hold everyone and the food they bring? Cute counting story about families and meals and making room for all. Would be good for a food/ thanksgiving theme( not directly called a thanksgiving feast in story but two turkeys are cooking!). Really liked this one!
Serena
I LOVED the illustrations. This was a fun book to count things with my 2 year old. We both liked trying to find the cat and dog on every page. I hollered when I think it was the uncles came to the house with greens and hamhocks, I yelled THESE MY PEOPLE! Beautiful book.
Khamisa
There on Brown street sits Grandma’s old house, where everyone goes to meet. Will everyone fit inside this time? Who knows? It is a story about love of family, friends, neighbors and food. This simple rhyming book introduces young readers to numbers from one to fifteen. This book is recommended for two to four years old. The book is a great way to introduce counting in the classroom. This book would be a great addition to any classroom because of the diverse characters in the story, a great way ...more
SurLeFur ©
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever planned an event and didn’t have enough room for your guests? Oh my, this family put their creativity to the test. When there is a will, there sure is a way. We found this ebook in the abc mouse app library and it’s great!
Tabby
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Grandma's Tiny House is the kind of house you want to be in. The story is so full of love, I am so glad I choose it to read to my kids. It makes them think of their own grandma and her tiny house that always manages to cram everyone in.
Mary Ann
A grandmother welcomes her family, friends, and neighbors into her home for a wonderful feast, and everyone brings food to share. Cheerful rhymes mark the arrival of different guests. "THREE neighbors knock on the brown wooden door, with FOUR pots of hot greens and ham hocks galore." As more folks arrive, the house quickly fills. Where is everyone going to go? Aunties, cousins, grandkids -- it's quite a houseful.

This counting story is firmly set in an African American home with specific details
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Brown-Wood, JaNay. Grandma’s Tiny House, PICTURE BOOK. Charlesbridge, 2017. $16.99.

As Grandma’s family has grown, her small house has stayed the same size. With family and friends coming over for dinner, will they all fit inside? Eventually the house bulges so big with food and people that one cute granddaughter suggests that dinner should be served outside to solve their problem. Each group of visitors is counted up starting with one to fifteen. They all bring a dish to eat as well.

This is a
Sunday Cummins
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book you can read aloud to a preschool age child over and over again. Each time the child may notice something different in the delightful illustrations. This would also be a good mentor text for writing a story together and, with children just a bit older, illustrating and/or writing a story of their own--about family, food, gatherings, celebrations. There are so many other possibilities - playing with rhyming language, counting, noticing details in the illustrations that ar ...more
Katie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A story about a family gathering at Grandma's to eat dinner together. The counting part almost seems forced. It just once part of the book, and doesn't add anything to the value. The real story is that everyone gathers together to share a meal, but there are too many to sit inside so they sit outside. Good for a storytime about families, traditions, or around Thanksgiving, but by the time you get to the end of the book you can't count the different people you saw before, and you have forgotten t ...more
Tracey
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
diverse picture book (toddler/preschool, counting)
* Book prominently features diverse characters: Yes, an African American grandmother and her very large family, plus a few ethnically diverse friends.
* Book would work for a preschooler storytime: a bit long for the wiggly toddlers, would work better with preschoolers. There are only a couple lines per page and the pictures are large and countable, if you want to add in some interactiveness.
* Works well with the counting theme: yes, with a story
Margaret Boling
10/24/2017 ** Large family? Lots of friends? Small house? Where do you take your gathering? Why the backyard of course. This smoothly rhyming counting book portrays a family gathering for a delicious feast.

Another book in the category of humans gathering for family traditions - humans who happen to be people of color. I look forward to sharing the story and illustrations with my elementary listeners and readers.

Source: The 2017 Top 20 Best in Rhyme List! Watch for the Top 10 List mid-November.
h
Mary
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Much like Feast for 10, this book tells the story of many people coming together at Grandma's house for a large dinner. Counting to 15, friends, uncles, aunts, nieces, and nephews all bring delicious food to share, including turkeys, collard greens, honeydew melons, and sweet potato pies. Readers can almost smell the aromas wafting from the colorful pages. A diverse set of characters share in this delicious feast that happens in Grandma's tiny house in the city.
Sheri
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about Grandma's small house and the people who come to visit and share a dinner with her bringing their favorites to her tiny house on Brown Street. The little girl helps Grandma with a place to have everyone sit and eat the foods they have brought to share. All characters have a multi cultural look of all families coming together in the neighborhood not just Grandma's children and grand children. This is the author of Imani's Moon. Read that one, too.
Jill
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cuuuuuuuute. In this story, Grandma's house is the setting for a big family get-together, but how can they all possibly fit in her tiny little house? Through counting and rhyming text, the story unfolds with more and more family showing up and bringing food to Grandma's house, that by the end, they are squeezed in so tight, the littlest granddaughter has to come up with a plan.
Marcie
Peacegal
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a simple counting book that celebrates the joy of family as one very large family attempts to have dinner in one very small house! How will everyone fit? Luckily, one clever kid saves the day.

Veg*n Parents Note: Although plant-based foods like honeydew and sweet potatoes get their own pages, roast turkeys and ham hocks are also name-checked in this counting story.
Erin
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A small format book with a big story inside. Grandma's family is coming over, and they pack her house full of nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, cousins and grandkids, and lots and lots of food. They're just not sure everyone will fit!
Molly
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this counting book, a large family gathers together for a meal at Grandma's tiny house. Family and friends are counted as they come through the door. They are not sure how they will fit everyone, but a small girl comes up with a solution. It's a lovely story about family, food and numbers.
Erin Richards
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book! Kind of reminds me of my own family gatherings where Grandma's house would be busting at the seems, but everyone is laughing and having fun. It is a counting book, but really it's just a fun family having a huge party book. Would be a fun Thanksgiving storytime book.
Evan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about family, counting, and celebrating together. I love how the illustrations capture the mood of each scene. This is a favorite and a MUST ADD to your children's book collection.
Mackenzie Hunter
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Such a sweet book about the love of family, friends and neighbors and LOTS of good food! I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a fun counting book and a great story. It's just full of the greatest blessing in life. . .family! This quick read will make your day!
Samantha
A rhyming counting book in which friends and family in large numbers are gathering for dinner at Grandma's house. There's plenty of food, but not enough room so they move their dinner outside instead.

Fun read aloud with digital artwork. PreK-2.
Alisha
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Granma's tiny house is too small to fit all of her family for dinner! What are they going to do? This works as a great counting, family and food book. I love the illustrations with the crayon-soft edges. This would be fantastic for a toddler or preschool read aloud.
Selina
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A large family has decided to have a big feast at their grandmother's house. However, Grandma's house is rather small, so everyone may not be able to fit. This story does a great job expressing family while incorporating a counting lesson for children in a fun way.
Silvia Acevedo
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet rhyming story about family togetherness, ingenuity, and counting. Super illustrations, too. Loved it! :)
Anna
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prek-books
Really cute book! It's a rhyming story with counting in it! It's clever the way it was written and the illustrations are nice too, very colorful and full of life.
Miss Sarah
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone is coming to grandma's for a celebration. Can they all fit? Super cute. preschool and up. I lvoe the joy and ending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »