Start by marking “Better Days (Serenity, #2.1)” as Want to Read:
Better Days (Serenity, #2.1)

Better Days

(Serenity #2.1)

Serenity: Better Days follows everyone's favorite space cowboys in a thrilling, action-packed adventure, where Mal and his crew take on a heist that promises a big payoff. But when one of Serenity's crew is taken captive and tortured, the gang must put their enduring differences aside and work together to save one of their own, even if it means losing the cash prize of a l ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Better Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Days

Cyndi
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Oh, Firefly how I miss you! The series ended too soon!
This graphic novel is set in the center of the story. The whole crew is together, even Wash. When they show what his dream is for a wealthy future I cried a few tears. 😢 What happened to him in the movie, Serenity broke my heart. 💔
Kemper
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Two word review: New Serenity!

Unexpected side effect during or after reading: Finally coming to terms with the fact that there will probably never be another Firefly/Serenity film or tv show.

New thing I learned from reading this book: Mal doesn't want to be rich.

General Observations: For a new Serenity story scripted by Joss Whedon, I was disappointed. Following a story before the events of the movie allows him to use characters who died there, which was nice. But there was something about the w
Liz Janet
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is a heist, they get ready to rescue someone.
Wash is prepared:

Jayne is ready:

Zoe was born ready:
description

Mal was also born ready:
description

They are all ready (except that one person), and no power in the 'verse can stop them:
Arielle Walker
This.. was not as fantastic as I expected. I think the story got somewhat muddles, and felt a little rushed- I had to keep flipping back a few pages to work out what I'd missed. Some very funny moments as the crew fantasise about how to spend their new-found wealth though.
Sesana
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Better Days is set at some point before the movie, which made a few pages bittersweet to read. It's written very much like an episode of the show might have been, but it honestly wouldn't have been one of the better ones. Still a fun read for Firefly fans, but not as amazing as I might have hoped.
Ronyell
Serenity

Introduction:

After reading the first volume “Serenity: Those Left Behind,” I was determined to read up on all the “Serenity” comics being made by Joss Whedon after the TV series “Firefly” was abruptly cancelled. Now, I finally got a chance to read the second volume of the “Serenity” series called “Serenity: Better Days” and man, was it one hilarious and action-packed volume!

What is this story about?

When the crew of Serenity ended up finding a huge pile of cash, they all start h
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
Serenity: Better Days follows everyone's favorite space cowboys in a thrilling, action-packed adventure, where Mal and his crew take on a heist that promises a big payoff. But when one of Serenity's crew is taken captive and tortured, the gang must put their enduring differences aside and work together to save one of their own, even if it means losing the cash prize of a lifetime!

The artwork is decent and the storyline isn’t too bad. I’m not jumping for joy o
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I love Firefly and I miss it terribly but these graphic novels just don't make up for it at all. They're nice pretty colors but the stories are weak and the characters don't look enough like the actors who played them. This one is no exception. But there is some humor, some fun moments, and the intro by Adam Baldwin who played Jayne on the series makes it worth a read.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I don't know why I bothered. The illustrations may be a little better but the disjointed and confusing short story and its implications definitely weren't for me.

Serenity's crew suddenly become filthy rich. For a while, anyway. And their 'what I'd do if I were rich' dreams were the only good thing about Better Days .

Engineer Kaylee's dream was obvious - sleeping with Simon and her own ship workshop. Doctor Simon would return to his homeworld with sister River so they can work together in a hosp
Jesse A
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent, if definitely lesser, Firefly adventure.
Vera
Jan 02, 2018 added it
I had this book since 2011 and I somehow never read it.
It's about my favourite TV characters and it made me wanna rewatch Firefly once again.
Brittany
I would definitely count this as better than the first Serenity comic. That being said, this review will be short. The awesome consistencies were still the same: wit, characters behaving as if they walked off the set, and the wonderful Whedonisms thrown around. Not to mention the ever wonderful artwork. I'll die the day I see Joss pick any artist that is anything less than 120% at all times.

The plot was way better this time around. I feel like in the first installment, the threat wasn't really t
Luann
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
If I can't watch new episodes of Firefly, I'm happy to at least be able to read new adventures that are an official part of the canon and written by Joss. This second volume in the series of graphic novels is a lot of fun. The crew has come into a lot of money through a successful heist, and we get to see a "fantasy 'bout being filthy rich" from many of the crew members. Wash's fantasy was particularly sweet - and sad, since we know it doesn't happen. I also really liked River's which involved b ...more
Janelle Dazzlepants
Dinnu Reads Books
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love!! I want to rewatch the tv series now :)
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Feb 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Being a Firefly fan, i was very excited when, back in 2005, Dark Horse Comics announced and released Those Left Behind, the first of a possible series of Serenity comic books.

I am not much of a comics reader, i go through phases where months of absorption will occur, but generally, i stick to 15-20 issues a year. i help off on reading the Serenity comics knowing that 3 issues would only wet my appetite, with months before more would be available.

after three years, DHC released the next installme
Dan
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Your enjoyment of this graphic novel largely depends on what you expect from it. If you expect something which answers some of the questions the TV series and film never did, you will be disappointed. If you are just hoping for an episode of Firefly in comic book form, this will satisfy you.

It opens with the usual Serenity crew type heist and when the crew are sent to collect their money they discover there is far more than they expected and they are now incredibly rich. We see some fantasies a
Christina
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Firefly/Serenity fans
Shelves: 2010, graphic-novels
This was a disappointment! Serenity Vol. 1: Those Left BehindSerenity Vol. 1: Those Left Behind, the first Firefly/Serenity graphic novel was okay, not fantastic, but okay and it answered some questions.
This one, not so much.
Apparently, this one takes place between Firefly and Serenity but before Serenity Vol. 1: Those Left Behind. The story focus on what would happen if the Firefly crew suddenly got rich, very very rich, and what they would use the money on. I loved River's twisted Snow White d
Brendan
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really enjoy this series, much like another forgotten gem Fringe. This has all the ingredients of becoming a successful space opera but was taken off the air before a bigger fan base was born. I've settled into this graphic series to continue the journey and while this doesn't follow the film, it does follow the TV show. The book keeps the humour and action ticking as the story builds to a huge confrontation. I would've liked to see this on the screen but settled for the pages. If you are a fan ...more
Punk
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Graphic Novel. Having suffered through the writing in the first Buffy omnibus, I can safely say that the writing in the Serenity series is far superior, even if it's not perfect. The art continues to be true to the actors, except maybe for Jayne, who never quite looks like himself.

This volume comes with an introduction by Adam Baldwin and starts off with a story where the Serenity crew pulls off a heist that actually leaves them with more money than they started with. Everyone takes a vacation
Clark Hallman
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Serenity: Better Days by Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews and Will Conrad (2008) – Captain Malcolm Reynolds of the Firefly-class starship Serenity and his crew of misfits endure another battle after their heist of some valuable art works. Although they are outgunned, they somehow manage to escape and even capture a valuable piece of equipment from their attackers. They discover that the sale of this piece of equipment could make the entire crew of Serenity very wealthy and the reader gets to share th ...more
Jacey
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is Joss Whedon so it gets three stars before I even start, but it's a graphic novel so it probably loses one because I'm really not the target audience for graphic novels. I don't interpret the picture panels well, I'm all about the words. So words first. Yes, a good little story and a continuation of the Firefly arc, so OF COURSE I'm going to like it. It's Firefly for goodness sake - the best cancelled TV show on the planet - or any planet for that matter. But the artwork - while it looks ...more
Rhapsody
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Serenity/Firefly/Joss Whedon fans
Shelves: comics
The second in the little miniseries. The crew made a fair amount of money on their last job and they're spending it in some upper class city. It's a funny volume. Each one shares their fantasy about the kind of life they're going to lead with the money. Jayne wants to be a captain of a ship, Kaylee wants to open a mechanic shop with her father, etc. The special operative hunting the Dust Devils starts closing in and there are complications from the drone that they stole. All in all, a very good ...more
Megan
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Firefly fans
Recommended to Megan by: Marie
Shelves: graphic-novel
Yet another short story in Joss Whedon's "Firefly" universe...

I liked the storyline in "Better Days" a little more than in "Those Left Behind", mostly because we find out why Shepherd Book decides to leave the crew, and shows us a bit more of Inara and Mal's thorny relationship. The pace also seems quicker and more action-packed.

The illustrations are GORGEOUS, and very true to the show, and there is another great introduction - this time by actor Adam Baldwin.

Once again - a lot of fun for the
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, series, comics, 2009
Hmmm. Better than the first volume of Serenity comics, but it felt rushed in some places (not enough panels to explain what's happening) and slow and anticlimactic in others. I'm glad I read it, but I don't plan on buying the book.

I suppose it all comes down to any Serenity is better than no Serenity at all!
Dan
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun story in which the crew of Serenity get rich beyond their wildest dreams (and part of the fun is seeing what each person's wildest dreams actually are), but can they hold onto their latest take while the Alliance continues to hunt them?
Simeon
Feb 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: utter-shite
You have all these wonderful characters, their universe already made, yet something happens with comic books. It's like a shit-switch, where anything delivered into that format, by mere contact with it, becomes transmogrified into garbage.

Jery Schober
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice glimpse into what could have been awesome TV episodes, if only...
KC
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just made me miss it more!
Matt
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Best part about TV to comic: I have the voices already in my head.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Choice ...: Serenity: Better Days (Serenity, #2) - March 2015 7 20 Mar 22, 2015 11:58AM

• Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • Downtime (Serenity, #2.3)
  • The Other Half (Serenity, #2.2)
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Serenity
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • The Guild: Knights of Good (The Guild Collection, #2)
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #1)
  • Farscape Vol. 2: Strange Detractors
  • Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Season 9, Volume 2)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'

Serenity (5 books)
  • Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)
  • Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse