Start by marking “Around the World in a Bad Mood!: Confessions of a Flight Attendant” as Want to Read:
Around the World in a Bad Mood!: Confessions of a Flight Attendant

Around the World in a Bad Mood!: Confessions of a Flight Attendant

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
This hilarious book confronts every aspect of a flight attendants absurd worldfrom the endless array of passenger demands, to the secret language of flight attendants, and a unique version of the Safety Demo Shuffle. Fasten your seatbelt and prepare yourself for a side-splitting perspective on the trials and tribulations of air travel.
Published March 6th 2002 by Hyperion (first published 2002)

Mav
Aug 11, 2007 rated it did not like it
It’s pity I wasn’t reading this while on an airplane. I could’ve called up a flight attendant and ask if “I’ll be right back” really is flight attendant lingo for “F you”. I’m disappointed with this book. I was hoping for something funny and witty, with inside tips on what goes on behind the airlines. With the exception of the first chapter, I wasn’t laughing, and I ended up reading this book in a bad mood. The author is a wannabe actress who became a flight attendant with a lot of pushing and p ...more
Jeanette Cupcake
Jan 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to travel or works in the industry
this was a great book about being a flight attendant. it was a very easy, funny read- that both passengers and flight attendants would enjoy. she wrote it before 9/11 but so much of the stuff continues. same crazy questions, same bad airlines. lol.
Lyndsey Wilson
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lyn-s-bookshelf
really enjoyed this book, makes me love my job even more :-)
Cynthisa
Jun 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This author is just not a very good writer. There's nothing engaging about her writing and the stories she recounts aren't particularly funny or original. Yep: DNF.
Lauren
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Rene Foss has always dreamed of becoming an actress. Instead of acting, however, she winds up becoming a flight attendant, at first planning on flying in her spare time between jobs but eventually becoming a full-time career. Partly because her heart was never in the job and partly because of the shit she has to deal with on a daily basis from rude passengers, she laughingly refers to her time in the airline industry as traveling “Around the World in a Bad Mood.”

I am a pretty frequent flier, and
Megalion
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this back to back with another service based memoir. It was rather startling, the difference in their attitudes towards their professions.

While Rene does eventually talk a bit about why she remains an F/A, most of the book is a rant. ** Sometimes, very unfunny hypothetical experiences, sometimes real. I do give her points for doing a whole segment in Shakespearan dialog.

Since it wasn't a very long book, I stuck it out and I had a better overall impression with the context given at the end.
Cat.
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you have flown in the past 20 years, and are remotely human, you know that flight attendants have one of the hardest jobs in the world. They are required to be heroes and garbage pickers, diplomatic with drunks and kind to children traveling alone, knowledgeable about the food and drinks they are serving and able to drop everything and perform first aid.

And they do this while trapped with a bunch of usually needy, often pushy strangers--including, frequently, the people with whom they are wor
Connie N.
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is an amusing story about one woman's experience woking as a flight attendant. It starts when she first decides to apply for the job and discusses all the training involved and first few years when she was on call and working flights with low seniority, all told in a kind of negative and sarcastic way. As the book goes on, she seems to change her mind about the career, perhaps now that she's been doing it for many years, and her stories are much more funny and entertaining. She talks about ...more
Rob Fisch
Nov 14, 2007 rated it liked it
this book really made me laugh at first, but then it just became predictable. it's like listening to a funny flight attendant co-worker going off about stuff. not very insightful to those who are already flight attendants (FAs), but definitely things FAs can relate to. this book may be insightful however to those who aren't flight attendants, like perhaps their significant other who doesn't fly for a living. approximately half the book is about the life of a typical FA and half is about the auth ...more
HeavyReader
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who travel by airplane
I'm seriously considering creating a "mildly amusing" shelf. So much of what I've read lately was supposed to be funny, but wasn't quite. This book fits that category.

The author had been a flight attendant for over 15 years when she wrote the book. The book is based on a musical review also written by the author. Maybe it's better as a song and dance...Some parts did amuse me, but nothing made me laugh out loud.

This book is mostly a manual on how not to act. It's also mostly a yawn.
Erika Armstrong
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
On a weather delay in Chicago this week, a flight attendant told me about this book. While written pre- 9/11, it's a pretty funny account of the life of a flight attendant and dealing with the airline and crazy passengers. It was a very quick read ( I finished it on my flight home the next day). Anyone who travels frequently will appreciate this book and feel the "pain" of what the flight attendants deal with every day.
Deborah
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book got me through my last trip with all its mechanical delays, deicing, missed approaches, bad alternate hotels, short overnights, disgruntled and downright mean passengers with a smile on my face. I had seen her perform the one-woman show a few years ago before I was a flight attendant, and it was quite funny, but now, being on the inside, HILARIOUS!
Redfox5
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read this while flying back from Florida. This book had a holiday in Disney world with me. Thought it might be fun to read this on the plane. I found it quiet funny. I think becuase I work with the public I can relate to this woman and her complaints. Thought being a F/A does not seem worth it at all. The songs are bit lame but that didn't spoil the book. Wouldn't mind seeing the stage show.
Petra
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
" I am a flight attendant and the world is my oyster. And what an oyster it is! Oversold flights, weather delays, air traffic control delays, center seats, crappy food, air rage--it's so glamorous!" Around the World in a Bad Mood is a must read if your a flight attendant or in the flying industry. I would love to go see her performance.
Maria (Ri)
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, read-in-2007
This was cute, but a little too light to be great. I enjoyed Plane Insanity another book about flight attendants a bit more than this one. Too much of the humor in this book is recycled - the same joke or phrase appears multiple times throughout the book.

Having said all that, it is an entertaining look at the airlines.
Christian Lipski
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: air travelers
A look at the "glamorous" life of a flight attendant from the inside. Foss wrote a cabaret show about her experiences, and now brings her humor to print.

I recommend that all air travelers read this - see what your crew goes through!
Brittany
I technically didn't READ this book, but I saw it performed numerous times during acting tournaments I competed in. When they wrote the name of the piece on the board, I dreaded every second that passed by because I knew it was getting closer to their performance. In short, don't read it.
MB Pickard
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was friggin hilarious. I just wrote a whole review about it, and my computer erased it. But if you get a chance, it's a quick read, and gives a lot of insight to the life of a flight attendant. Too funny.
Sara Smith
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
There really wasn't anything that you probably didn't already know about flying if you have personally flown in your lifetime. I was hoping it would be funny and tell me something new, but unfortunately it just didn't do either of those things for me.
DC
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I saw the live show a number of years ago, and it's a lot more fun than the book. The book is reasonably entertaining, though not really laugh out loud funny, and has a few poignant moments - overall a rather depressing tone, actually.
Landpomeranze
While it never made me laugh out loud it did provide some insight. Since it was not my first book on the subject there was nothing exceptionally new, no great new revelations. Still it was fun to read. Not one of those books one has to read but not a complete waste of time either.
Deby
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Entertaining little stories. Easy to pick up and put down - great for restaurant reading.
Tante Toma
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Peed my pants. Read it!!
Teri
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved her stories! Saw her in a one-woman show and she was hysterical.
Samuel
May 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Funny look into the life of a flight attendant. Could have been better, especially with regards to the overall structure of the book. A fun and enlightening read though.
Ellenkaymi
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very funny and light read about the world of airlines.
InaY
Sep 28, 2007 rated it liked it
hahaha.. been there done that..
Theadra
Jun 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
couldn't even finish it. Too whiney.
Penny
Nov 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Bleah. Read "Plane Insanity" instead.
Fiona
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
An easy enough read, mildly funny covering the life and antics of a woman who becomes a flight attendant. Great if you just want something to pick up and put down between tasks.
  • Plane Insanity
  • Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself By Becoming an EMT
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • Concierge Confidential: The Gloves Come Off—and the Secrets Come Out! Tales from the Man Who Serves Millionaires, Moguls, and Madmen
  • What Cops Know
  • Ghetto Klown
  • A Hole in the World: An American Boyhood
  • I Do. I Did. Now What?!: Life After the Wedding Dress
  • It's All in Your Head: Thinking Your Way to Happiness
  • Snake Hips: Belly Dancing and How I Found True Love
  • When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession
  • Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea
  • "We Were Five:" the Dionne Quintuplets' Story From Birth Through Girlhood to Womanhood
  • No One's Daughter
  • The Joy of Half a Cookie: Using Mindfulness to Lose Weight and End the Struggle with Food
  • My Pet Virus: The True Story of a Rebel Without a Cure