Start by marking “Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5 (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)” as Want to Read:

Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5

(Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries 0.5, 3.5, 4.5 )

A collection of short stories for budding Detective Society members.

Daisy and Hazel invite you to discover their untold stories . . .

Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are famous for the murder cases they have solved - but there are many other mysteries in the pages of Hazel's casebook.

From the macabre Case of the Deepdean Vampire, to the baffling Case of the Blue Violet, and the
Published March 23rd 2017 by Puffin

Cora Tea Party Princess
Sep 08, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned-tbr
AAAAHHHHH this had better be my birthday book next year, I am totally dropping hints now because AAAAHHHHH I need it.

I love Wells and Wong!
msBookLand
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and I loved getting that little bit of extra information! It was almost like a behind the scenes book for murder most unladylike and I loved it !!!

I totally recommend it if your already a fan of murder most unladylike and of not you should definitely read that
Jenn
What a lovely little collection of things.
Fred
Apr 29, 2017 added it
A very old review - my reading tastes have matured since reading this and I don’t know if I would adore this series as much now but still a review I like to keep up!

Funnily enough, this was the last book I read in the month of April and it was a great way to end the month: I cannot wait to talk to you about this fantastic, phenomenal, beautiful book!

Before I say anything, I need to let out a sudden exclamation because this review will be incredibly all over the place if I don't let this out: T
Bunni
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like 3.75*

So i looked up antisocial personality disorder, or sociopathy, because I definitely feel like Daisy has this.

Her extreme possessiveness to Hazel, Daisy also thinking about Hazel as if she were a child every time she achieves because no one can possibly be smarter than, her ridiculous title, her secretiveness, her lying (okay we all lie), her impulsiveness...I fear for her later in life.

Thankfully this is fiction, but I am concerned that young readers might emulate these habits Daisy di
15HillG
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading mini murder stories as well as getting to know more information about the other books and about Hazel and Daisy. It was almost like a behind the scenes of the book and how it's laid out correctly. I really enjoyed it and will definitely enjoy the other books in the series now I know what to expect!
Prudence and the Crow
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: patc-2017

I am constantly and wildly enthusiastic for the world of Hazel and Daisy and their Detective Society. This is a delightful book of 'extras', just the sort of book I have always loved - notes from the characters, short stories, a few recipes, and notes from the author, too. Glimpses behind the scenes, insides and outs, further reading lists and tips, historic inspiration as well as suggestions for practical mystery-solving and codework.

This collects some of the one-short short stories previously
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fiction
This book - a collection of short mystery stories set in Hazel & Daisy's world, interspersed with short notes on mystery novels, real-life mysteries, detecting, and more, from the PoVs of various characters from the books - is just full of delight and joy. I love good mystery short stories - I've always loved Agatha Christie's short stories even more than her novels - and these are just deliciously clever, full of wit and character, heart and fun.

I adored the whole book, and the very best p
Mehsi
When I first heard about this book (months ago) I thought it would just be a short stories bundle with new and old ones. Imagine my delight when I got the book a few days ago and saw it wasn't only that, but also tips, tricks, and all sorts of other fun things.

There was a lot of good to this book, I enjoyed the Daisy and Hazel stories the most, but I think I loved the tips/tricks, and also favourite detective books, favourite detectives the most. Especially how it was written. A lot of those wer
Shawne
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A perfectly charming companion book to the Wells & Wong series. Not quite as engrossing or delightful, since this isn't a full-fledged novel but a patchwork of short stories, brief lessons in code-cracking and spies and detective fiction, and recipes. The four short stories are decent - my favourite being The Mystery of the Missing Bunbreak, as it's told from the point of view of Beanie Martineau, one of Stevens' loveliest supporting characters. The tale is short but truly sweet - and even a ...more
Sara Eames
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, easy-read book. Although it is aimed at a much younger audience, I still enjoy this series of books. It is Mallory Towers meets the Famous Five - and makes a nice, light read. The characters are not as fully developed as in adult books - but you know that is going to be the case when you pick up a book aimed at younger people.

This book is a compilation aimed at filling in the gaps in other books - describing cases solved that are alluded to in the rest of the series. You can either read
Emma
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just adore the Murder Most Unladylike series by Robin Stevens! Yes, technically they are aimed at younger readers but I don’t care they are jolly good fun and hold great enjoyment for me. Over the five books (so far) Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong have become my very good friends and setting out on a crime busting adventure with them is something I always look forward to.
In ‘Cream Buns and Crime’ Daisy and Hazel have set about collecting together some of their smaller cases and alongside lots of
Deirdre
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely treasure trove of short stories, snippets of information about famous fictional detectives and the books that inspired the Wells and Wong series, and even some recipes if you're feeling like a bun break.

The short stories were narrated, variously, by Daisy, Alexander and Beanie. Daisy, as you would expect, is a confident, breezy storyteller with no qualms about placing herself at the centre of the tale. Alexander, as also to be expected, is serious and factual. But Beanie was such a surp
KP
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2017
A charming little addition to the series. I'm thrilled to finally have the short stories collected; two of them from Daisy's perspective, which was delightfully snotty; one from Alex; and one from Beanie (!!!! I wept, oh Beanie, you're so lovely!). The chapters about the Golden Age of Crime and the writers, as well as their detectives, were quite nice. I'm very much looking forward to the next novel, though; these are by far my favourite detective novels!
Anna Jamieson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I haven’t read the actual series of Murder Most Unladylike but I was given the book by a friend and I enjoyed it! I read this quite quickly- although I actually started it in June I didn’t actually sit and read the book until July, but it took me a few days and I found this a quick, easy to read good book that a lot of people can enjoy, and although quite young some of the stories actually scared me!
Anna
IFangirl
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice companion novel but the actual murder mysteries are better.
My favourite mini mystery were the case of blue violet, deepdean vampire and missing bunbreak!
Sadie Slater
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cream Buns and Crime is a collection of short stories linked to Robin Stevens' Murder Most Unladylike series, interspersed with short factual sections about the detective genre, how to be a detective, recipes encountered in the series, and so on. Obviously, most of the extra features are aimed at Stevens' core pre-teen readership, but while I wasn't very interested in how to make invisible ink or take fingerprints I did like the overview of Golden Age detective fiction and Stevens' self-assessme ...more
Gertievandermint
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of odds and ends related to the Murder Most Unladylike middle grade mystery series. There are five short stories that cover non-fatal mysteries, and they're as delightful and charming as the novels, but what makes them special is that they are not all narrated by Hazel, who narrates the full-length mysteries. Two are narrated by Daisy, one by Alexander, and there's even one narrated by the gentle and hapless Beanie! The voices of these characters are distinct and hilarious, ...more
Phoebe T
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a little compilation of short stories that take place in between the other books- i.e. the best way to tide over until the next book is published.

I sometimes forget that this series is meant for readers younger than me and then I'm suddenly reminded repeatedly because "I should be careful of hot water" or whatever. Could be read as a little patronising but okay.

The stories were all fun and it was good to hear from other narratives as Alex, Daisy and Beanie all had a turn of writing and
Alyce Hunt
...okay, I was planning on taking my time reading Cream Buns and Crime, but because it's a collection of short stories and various other bonus material it flew past and I've read it in one day without even meaning to. Full review coming at some point next week, but I genuinely wish I could give this book six stars: it's been a long time since I've enjoyed reading anything this much.

EDIT 07/04/2018 (little later than planned, as my daughter decided to arrive ten days early!):

'No English person w
Robyn
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I treated myself to the paperback because it's taking so long for these books to be available as US kindle books. Enjoyed it quite a bit, though several sections are definitely for the target audience, not for those of us adult readers who like middle grade books. The puzzles, code breaking, and explanations of authors and their fictional detectives will be fun for young readers, while the short stories are great for all of us. Best read after Jolly Foul Play, and can be read either before or af ...more
Grace Tierney
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
As a companion piece to the murder most unladylike mysteries this works well - a handful of short cases written by Daisy rather than Hazel, which is fun, and by Alexander from the Junior Pinkertons plus chapters about how to break codes, a quiz on their previous cases, advice on founding your own detective club etc. a fun book for junior fans of the series (not as good for adult fans who are likely to be aware of Mata Hari and classic detective fiction already). Also not ideal for a new reader o ...more
Joyce Hertzoff
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As noted on the cover, this is a collection of tips, tricks and tales from the Detective Society that Daisy Wells and Hazel Wang formed at Deepdean School for Girls. It also contains a few of the cases solved by their friends, the Junior Pinkertons, i.e., Alexander Arcady and George Mukherjee at Weston School. It’s full of the same kinds of fun as the Murder Most Unladylike series, and complements it by giving us a better chance to ‘hear’ Daisy, Alex, and George’s voices. There’s also an awful l ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is full of Daisy and Hazel's tips to sleuthing and Crime solving as well as recommendations for other murder mystery books, inspiring detectives and short mini mysteries which they've solved in the past from their first mystery to their friends at the boy's school whom are also detectives.

It's a great book to begin with reading to get into the series I feel and makes more sense to introduce you to Hazel and Daisy's detective world more so than being a late comer to the series. However
Sian
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A lovely companion to Stevens’ Murder Most Unladylike series. Filled with mini mysteries, recipes, author’s notes and even tips on code-breaking, I can certainly say I learnt a lot! As an older reader I can see that for some of the non-fiction parts, the target audience is a bit ambiguous (there is reference to some quite grisly real-life murders with varying censorship) but I loved it nevertheless! I can definitely see the educational value of this book too, particularly with the fictional dete ...more
Tara
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun little extra to the series, and I loved the short stories, extra information, and activities within. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it - only reason I've rated it a 4 is because I'm actually not the biggest fan of these kind of collection books. But this one is definitely the best I've read.
Abigail
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Cream Buns and Crime as i have already read the rest of the series and ths book is a kind of guide to it all with some extra stories too like The Case of the Blue Violet but my favourite was The Case of the Deepdean Vampire. i also like the section on different types of codes like morse, pigs latin and block code.
Booniss
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Now I'm 35, so these books obviously aren't aimed at me, but I don't care cos they're fun and make me smile. This one is particularly sweet, being a collection of short stories from Hazel and her friends as they work their way up to solving murders by solving more domestic issues such as who stole a bun during bun break. Guaranteed to make you smile.
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a very interesting book. packed with facts about historic detecting, recipes to cool cakes and buns, detective and spying techniques and codes that enable you to communicate with your friends without anyone knowing what you're saying.
A great read for an afternoon with tea and biscuits.
Laura Bartrum
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book of little extras. I absolutely love Daisy and Hazel and cannot wait to start the next book. I would also love to have a full length novel with George and Alexander solving their own mystery as I really enjoyed their short story in this one.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mr Campion and Others
  • Death on the Cherwell
  • Turning Blue
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • The Children of Castle Rock
  • The Case of the Fire Inside (Bad Machinery, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Whistling Caves (Adventure Island, #1)
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • Ask A Policeman
  • Blood on the Tracks: Railway Mysteries
  • The Paradoxes of Mr. Pond
  • Sawbones
  • Tin
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
  • The Dead Can Wait (Dr John Watson, #2)
  • Szaleństwa Panny Ewy
  • The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, and A Spoonful of Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born in California and grew up in an Oxford college

Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike (Wells & Wong Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #2-5 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2-5)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #1-6 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1-6)