Start by marking “The Wall Between” as Want to Read:
The Wall Between

The Wall Between

Why would someone want to murder the father he never knew?

After Peter Körber is stabbed to death in Berlin, his son, Andreas, leaves Denmark, where he was raised by his mother and stepfather, and travels to that once-divided city to uncover the brutal truth. In his search to know this complete stranger, Andreas hopes to come to grips with his own identity crisis, stalled a
Published March 21st 2017 by Amazon Crossing

To ask other readers questions about The Wall Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wall Between

Cphe
Had this novel on pre-order early after reading the synopsis. The premise of a son Andreas searching for the truth about his father Peter who he has never known. The setting appealed to me as the novel takes place in the GDR before it was unified. It's a period and setting that I'm not overly familiar with.

The novel goes back and forth between two periods, from the 1970's to 2005/2006. The novel isn't overly long and the chapters are relatively short. The switching back and forth between time p
Trevor
Very enjoyable read, by an author who I had not previously come across.

Told as two parallel narratives, one in the past and the other the present, this is the story of a family split by the Berlin Wall and bought together by a murder, which is not solved until the last pages.

This is a well paced, well written/translated story which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Manchester Military History Society (MMHS)
A gripping and moving story of the former East Germany.

Andreas lives in Copenhagen and receives a letter informing him that his father who he has never met has been stabbed to death in Berlin, and that he has inherited his flat. Keen to understand more about the father that his mother wouldn’t speak of he travels to Berlin to discover more.

Jesper Bugge Kold combines multiple timelines and characters to produce a brilliant story of the GDR, the Stasi and relationships. This book reminded somewhat
Rex
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesper Bugge Kold's previous novel, Winter Men, is one of the best pieces of historical fiction I have ever read. I enjoyed it thoroughly and was greatly impressed by the level of detail Kold incorporated into his story. It was so obvious he had done extensive research (I read somewhere that he spent two years doing so) and did a masterful job of placing his protagonists in the times and places that engulfed Germany during World War II. When I finished Winter Men, my first thought was, I want to ...more
Joyce
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

This is the story of Peter, Andreas and Stefan, and Stefan’s brother Alexander. The book goes back and forth between 1975 plus and 2006.

During his student days in 1975, Peter falls for a girl named Elisabeth. She is a student from Copenhagen. Unbeknownst to Peter when she returns home, she gives birth to a son whom she names Andreas.

Meanwhile Peter works for the Stasi, the German Democratic Republic’s (GDR), secret police. AS he rises in the ranks, he spies, reports and evaluates his ne
Jenni DaVinCat
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Jesper Bugge Kold's first book, Winter Men, last year and really enjoyed Kold's style and his ability to write complex, complicated and believable characters. When I saw that he had another book being translated into English, I was very excited and picked it up as soon as I could.

This book was a little slow to start for me. There was a lot of German geography with very long street names that were hard to distinguish from other street names (as a non-German speaking person). After about 50
Anna-Sofie
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bogen handler ikke bare om landet DDR, der med et slag bliver et "land i datid", men også om personernes fortid, og hvordan den har dannet og formet dem som mennesker i dag.
Bogen er længe lidt uforløst - velsagtens fordi hovedpersonen Andreas er mærkelig vattet og utydelig som karakter, men det vejes op til sidst, hvor Andreas tager sin skæbne på sig og bliver sig selv på en helt anden måde end tidligere.
Jeg synes, bogens krydsklipning fungerer godt, plottet er spændende, og der en god fremdrift
Liz Thackray
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german
Fascinating book. Three parallel and interweaving stories focusing on the life of a Stasi officer, his illegitimate son and one of his 'victims'. Rather than criticising the DDR State Sicherheit machine, we are left to draw our own conclusions as the motivation and actions of the three men are considered. Very clever and thought provoking.
Stina
Anmeldelsen kan læses på bloggen
Mette Thomsen
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeg var fanget fra start til slut... en meget intens og overraskende handling, der absolut ikke lægger fingrene imellem, men også prøver at forstå...
Hannelore Cheney
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I would like it. But as the story progressed it became obvious this was an engrossing, albeit depressing, story.
Andreas travels from Denmark to Berlin to settle his late father Peter's affairs. He has inherited Peter's apartment and after the funeral decides to stay on to discover the father he never knew.
Peter worked his way up as a Stasi operative from 1975 on, climbing the ladder of success. Blindly devoted to the cause he reports on the acti
Vicky-Leigh Sayer
The Wall Between is the first novel I've read that features the falling of the Berlin Wall and life in Germany before the fall.

In it we meet Andreas, a son searching for and trying to get to know his father following his death.

Andreas' father is former Stasi officer and Andreas is forced to search for answers from people whose lives in East Berlin have led them to be cautious or even fearful of the truth.

They do not want to answer Andreas' questions, but he is desperate to know the truth.

The wa
Jerrie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After a life dedicated to a cause in which he believed over all else, a lonely man faces his death at 54, recognizes his murderer, and knows why he is dying. This book depicts difficulty of living in communist East Germany--some by choice, others merely captured by circumstance. You buy the lies, you own the product. Regrets? No joy to be found in this tale. Is it possible to really get to "know" a person you never met who is no longer alive even though you have a direct genetic link to him?
The
Angela
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
After recieving the book by Kindle version from goodreads first read, I met Andres and his father Peter. The two have never met. After the death of peter, Andres sets out on a mission to learn more about the father that had been absent from his life only to uncover secrets that may have been left unknown. Peter narrates chapters which open doors to show east Germany before the berlin wall fell and his devotion to communism during that period. Andres must come to grips with his father's secrets a ...more
Anthonia
This book told an interesting story. There is sadness in this and the the book goes back and fourth between time periods which get me a little lost. Still a wonderful book to read, a must read for any and all lovers of books.
Laura H
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
This was an interesting story about a son looking into the life of a father he didn't know and piecing together information he finds out from those who thought they knew him. Surprise ending that links all the stories together in the end. Well written!
Justin
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book that I've read by this author and I continue to be impressed by his skilful storytelling. The joy of this book for me was to discover the story and watch it grow and evolve. A really interesting subject matter, populated by deep and intriguing characters.
K M Farnum
A good read

I liked the ambiguity of the main characters especially, and this was the first novel that gave me an insight into life behind the Wall.
Sisse
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stjerner. Stedvist er jeg meget tæt på at overveje de fem stjerner og det er det meget stærke plot, som løfter romanen helt derop. Jeg har ofte introduceret Jesper Bugge Kold til potentielle læsere som ekspert i ondskabens anatomi og dette ekspertområde, som han opdyrkede i debutromanen Vintermænd, følger han på fornem vis op på i Land i datid, hvor vi følger Stasi-manden Peter, som er linientreu helt ud til fingerspidserne. Emnet ondskab og det spørgsmål, som der i særlig grad interesserer ...more
C.R. Elliott
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of mystery, history, family drama and those who enjoy resolved plot threads
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
*I received a copy through netgalley to review.

Phenomenal! Kold's writing drew me in immediately. His descriptions are lush but concise and the result is an impression of a character you want to continue getting to know.

The story is of a son searching for and trying to get to know his father following his father's death. In essence it is a simple family drama but Andreas' father is former Stassi and he is searching for answers from people whose lives in East Berlin have led them to be cautious o
Elisabeth Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
En ung dansk mand - Andreas - i vildrede, arver sin far, som han aldrig har kendt. Faderen var østtysker og på overfladen handler bogen om at søge tilbage til, hvem faderen egentlig var.
En god research har der været, man kan nærmest lugte stemningen i det gamle DDR. Alene af denne grund er bogen værd at læse.
Men samtidig er det en udviklingsrejse for Andreas - han bliver voksen i løbet af bogen.
Mest rørende er beskrivelsen af stedfaderen, en bifigur med stort hjerte. Andreas har været heldig at
Camilla Laugesen
Andreas bliver kaldt til Berlin hvor hans far, Peter er fundet i baggården der hører til hans lejlighed, han er blevet stukket ihjel med en stor køkkenkniv.

Idet Andreas er Peters eneste barn, skal han arve sin far, sørge for begravelse og i det hele taget ordne alt det praktiske omkring faderens bortgang.

Problemet er bare - Andreas har aldrig kendt sin far. Peter har hele sit liv boet i Østtyskland - bag jerntæppet og Andreas er opvokset i Danmark. Han er opdraget af en mor som bestemt ikke har
Kåre
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litteratur
Købte bogen pga rosende anmeldelse. På de første to sider beskrives oplevelsen af at blive myrdet i detaljer. Åh nej, ikke den kliche igen!
Og klicherne fortsætter hele vejen igennem. Det er så tykt, at jeg gennemskuer plot i næsten alle detaljer 250 sider før sidste side.

Forargelsen over det kommunistiske styre og mennesker, som kunne tro på det - i eller udenfor blokken - er tyk. Jeg legede med tanken om at sammenligne de onde stasier med vores DJØFferes, evalueringer, målstyring, ledelse, og
Keri
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

This is a very interesting read. Like a collection of puzzle pieces, all of the characters and the differing viewpoints and settings fit together perfectly at the end. There's Peter, a Stasi member in the 1970s and 80s; Andreas, the son Peter has never met visiting Berlin in the 2000s; and Stefan, a citizen of East Berlin who serves almost as the bridge between the father and son's stories.

I love the time period of the novel. Literature
Lene69
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der er ingen tvivl om, at Jesper Bugge Kold er en fremragende forfatter. Sproget er godt, og forfatteren har virkelig noget på hjertet. Jeg synes ikke, at bogen har helt den samme dybde og nerve som "Vintermænd", og samtidig bruges der en del steder billedsprog, som jeg ikke synes fungerer. Når det er sagt, er bogen bestemt læseværdig. Den giver et godt indblik i en svunden tid, nemlig et land i datid som DDR. Samtidig tager bogen fat i store eksistentielle emner og folder dem ud på bedste vis. ...more
Benedikte
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Fantastisk velskrevet og yderst gennemarbejdet mht information og fakta. Virkelig god forfatter og interessant emne.
Inga Riber Kristiansen
Fantastisk god bog! Kan varmt anbefales!
Julie Rasmine Larsen
Jesper Bugge Kold kan noget med at beskrive steder, tider og personer så indgående, at de føles levende. Anmeldelse på bloggen snart.
Andreas Jacobsen
Rating: 2.0
Thomas
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glimrende fortælling om DDR, det der var og en mand, der tvinges til at forholde sig til sin baggrund og sig selv. Læs den før du (gen)ser De Andres Liv!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Battleground Berlin: CIA vs. KGB in the Cold War
  • Stealing the Future: An East German Spy Story (East Berlin Series, #1)
  • Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin
  • The Red Effect
  • Secret Father
  • Brandenburg Gate (Robert Harland #3)
  • Zeugin der Toten (Judith Kepler, #1)
  • Man Without A Face: The Autobiography Of Communism's Greatest Spymaster
  • The Incidental Spy
  • After The Wall
  • A Darker State (Karin Müller #3)
  • The Divided City (Gregor Reinhardt, #3)
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • The Darkling Spy (Catesby #3)
  • The Collapse: The Accidental Opening of the Berlin Wall
  • Red Love: The Story of an East German Family
  • The File: A Personal History
  • Paris Spring
Born in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1972, Winter Men is Jesper Bugge Kold's first novel. It was published in Denmark in August 2014, and the same year it was nominated to the prestigious Debutant's Prize at BogForum.

Jesper Bugge Kold grew up in Copenhagen and has a bachelor's degree from the Library School and a master's degree from the University of Information Technology. Later, working as a sports