Start by marking “The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

**WINNER, Inde Next General Book Award, General Fiction
**WINNER, GOLD, Literary Classics, Fiction
**WINNER, SILVER, Literary Classics, General Literature
**WINNER, SILVER, Ben Franklin IBPA Award, Popular Fiction
**FINALIST, InD'Tale Magazine, Rone Awards
**HONORABLE MENTION, New England Book Festival awards
**AWARDED, Literary Classics Seal of Approval

What if you could choose
Published September 6th 2016 by Reputation Books

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall

Start your review of The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall
Cheri
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Joshilyn Jackson and fans of JoJo Moyes’ “Me Before You”
Shelves: 2016, fiction, arc, netgalley

Vivienne Marshall, 35, wearing her red birthday shoes, is being moved along in her steps by the pace of the crowd around her is texting when her world changes. I’d say “stops” but it continues on, just not in the way she’d probably envisioned earlier that day, or even that moment.

Vivienne finds herself transported to a lovely park, with a perfect sky, the perfect bridge just wide enough for a couple to wander through the twisting tree limbs everywhere.

“Crooked, bent, long, short, stilted, stret
Deanne Patterson
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Wearing her red birthday shoes,35 year old Vivienne takes a fatal walk into a moving vehicle while she is texting and walking and not paying attention. Her spirit guide,guardian angel is her boyfriend who passed on before her. He guides her in her uncertainty as she treks through heaven. She leaves behind a young son and one of the things she was carrying in her bag when she was hit is a book that he enjoys having her read to him.The story also told of his missing her and featured his life as he ...more
Debbie
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shannon Kirk

Kirk takes readers on a highly conjectural journey between life and death in her new amazingly imaginative, gut wrenching and heartwarming novel. A tale that tells us love has power in death and beyond. Readers get a fly on the wall, in reverse perspective of her remarkable protagonist Vivienne Marshall, who we get to know using her visionary past, present and future trio of timelines via her eloquent, vivid fairy-tale like narrative. Her
Dawn Reno Langley
Vivienne Marshall's chance to shop for the heaven she will call her own begins the day she is struck down, a victim of texting-while-walking. The 35-year-old relives her life and plans her afterlife during the course of this extraordinary (excuse the pun) novel by award-winning author Shannon Kirk.

The story imagines a process dying people embark upon, a winnowing down of the last choice they actually make during their lifetime: the choice of what life after life will become. Vivienne's choices
Stephanie Burton
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I am not sure that I have ever read a book quite like The Extraordinary Journey Of Vivienne Marshall before! It's gorgeous cover art seemed to grace every other book blog last year so I was delighted to win my own copy, although waited until the hype had faded somewhat before reading it so that I wasn't unduly influenced by excessive expectations!

I was reminded a little in the subject matter of The Lovely Bones and in the glorious use of colo
Dawnny
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was truely an amazing journey to the heart. A story so beautiful and so brilliantly creative I was stunned by the magic of it all. On the last page I shed a tear. Just beautiful!
Ema
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall/Shannon Kirk What if you could choose your heaven now? Go on a celestial shopping trip of sorts? Thirty-five-year-old Vivienne does just that, as she lies in the ICU; a fatal walk into the path of a truck. In her final week of life, Vivienne treks through the Heavens of a priest, a best friend, a homeless child, and a lover who never was. Vivienne's guardian angel, Noah, who may just be her soul mate, escorts her through selections of Heavens and th ...more
Autumn Byrd
MY EMOTIONS!!!

description

If you were searching for a book that would destroy your emotions, leave you as a hollow shell and a sobbing messing...then CONGRATULATIONS, you have found the right book.

When I first got this book I was thinking this was going to be some book that talks about a woman who goes on a traveling journey around the country or some bucketlist kind of book. You know, that Eat, Pray, Love kind of style book. Needless to say I was very, very, very wrong.

Immediately, this book kicks you in t
Sophie
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NetGalley copy in exchange of an honest review.

Vivienne Marshall’s life takes a turn for the worse when she gets hit by a car. When she wakes up after the accident, she’s somewhere else, on a bridge, facing her first love, Noah, who died years ago.

He explains to her that she has the opportunity to create her own Heaven by visiting other people’s one, to figure out where to go, what to learn.

So Vivienne visits several people as her body is slowly dying back in the hospital. A priest, her best fri
Helen
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered what Heaven will be like? I have, and this is what attracted me to this book. This is a fictional novel about Vivienne Marshall who had a horrible pedestrian accident while texting and walking. She is in and out of a coma while recovering in the ICU. Vivienne is a 35 year old single mother to a seven year old son, Ivan. When Vivienne is conscious she agonizes over his welfare but when she is in a coma she gets to sample different heavens. She is greeted by her departed so ...more
Sherry Fundin
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Be careful…when you are texting. Your inattention could be the death of you.

Vivienne lay hovering on the brink of death, one foot in the land of the living and one foot with the dead.

Noah, her dead, dream husband explains it to her. The scene made me think of a Supernatural episode, where Castielle says our Heaven is of our own making.

Is there a Heaven? Does our life pass before our eyes?

What would it look like? Who would you want there with you?

What secrets would be brought to light after your
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
Sometimes I need a little break from horror, and thrillers and The Extraordinarily Journey of Vivienne Marshall was the perfect book for that break!
Shannon Kirk was kind of enough to send me a copy to review and man, she can write sweet just as well as she writes spooky!! 💐🌅💓⚰️

⚰️🌅💓💐
I'm going to come right out and say I don't believe in heaven or hell or any of that, so I was a little skeptical about this journey. However, The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall isn't actually super relig
Lainie D
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ARC provided to me by NetGalley.com

A wonderful and heart warming story told through the perspective of dying woman, Vivienne Marshall. Her spirit travels into the after life shopping for her heaven while her body lies broken in the hospital. As she tries to decide what eternity to choose her life story unfolds. The struggles of life are universal and there are struggles in death; saying good bye and letting go.

I was quickly drawn into this book. I could identify with Vivienne as a mo
Lisa
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This fall, I was pretty embarrassed when I tripped while looking at my phone while walking. Luckily, the only injury was to my elbow and my ego.

Vivienne Marshall, the heroine of this novel, didn't fare quite as well when she walked into the path of a truck while Facebooking-while-walking. Now Vivienne is in critical condition and moving in and out of consciousness. In life, there's her young son, Ivan. But in death, her childhood love, Noah, shows her that there are so many heavens from which s
FiFi
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I read the premise of this book, I knew it would hold my interest. In fact, I couldn't put it down! The descriptions paint such a lovely, calm feel and considering the book is about Vivienne choosing her own heaven after a tragic accident, it's actually quite comforting and serene. I liked how we were able to follow her loved ones which she was leaving behind, especially her son, and how his life continued. I was still thinking about this book days afterwards, which is sign of a great ...more
Erin Plows Doyle
This is one of the most beautiful and touching novels that I have read in a long time. It is such a skillfully written book that is sure to capture your heart with every turn of the page. I was hooked from the start and did not want to put the book down. There are so many wonderful characters and each has a part of his or her life that I could easily relate to. Shannon Kirk is able to make you laugh and cry in this thought provoking book. I especially loved the never ending bond between Ivan and ...more
Bonnie Kelly
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book. I felt as if her memories were my memories. Every emotion was experienced. Bravo Shannon. This is a book I will read many times.
Anna
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall by Shannon Kirk and published today by Reputation Books will make the difference in the market. I am sure of it.

When I studied Dante Alighieri and his Comedia written in 1200 at the high school it was common opinion with the other colleagues and teacher that maybe, maybe Dante had had some visions of what it would have meant once dead Hell, Purgatory and Paradise.

I have had the same sensation reading this book by Kirk.

Many compliments to Shannon bec
Patty B
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I approached reading The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall with more than a little trepidation. I was drawn in by the synopsis, yet I was concerned about the subject matter. As a middle aged mother, I was worried that the story of Vivienne who dies in a tragic accident, leaves her young child without a mother and embarks on a journey to choose her heaven would be too sad and hard to read. I was completely wrong. The imagination and craftsmanship required to write a book such as this is ...more
Kristin Francoeur
Grab yourself a tall glass of sweet tea, and curl up with “The extraordinary journey of Vivenne Marshall," a wonderful journey of magic providing unending hope and love.
It roped me in from the start, putting me right there in the hospital room with Marty first meeting Vivienne. My most favorite character with his loving caring way. Feeling totally hopeful that Vivienne would find her most perfect heaven.
Ivan, the adorable son, committed, loving and loyal part of Vivienne's life makes it very d
Ryan Clark
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is heart-achingly sweet from the very first page.

As Vivi lies dying in a hospital bed after being hit by a bus, her childhood sweetheart, Noah, (taken from her too soon) plays spiritual tour guide as he leads her on a tour of Heaven to draw inspiration for her own slice of the afterlife. Vivienne relives important moments from her life as she traverses the Heavens of people she knew, either intimately or in passing, with Noah, who just might be her soulmate.

Filled with beautiful desc
Megalion
Extraordinary concept.

The synopsis is one of those that covers everything you need to know about the book to decide if you want to read it.

All I can add to it is that I really enjoyed some of the supporting cast of characters and the little intrigues they added to the story.

Additionally, it reminds me of the Albert Brooks & Meryl Streep movie, Defending Your Life. In trying to choose what her heaven will be, she goes through self examination similar to that in the movie.

Recommended for those
Ann
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I always enjoy a well written thoughtful story that helps people deal with death and how to handle grief. This is a book for adults and older teens that is a beautiful concept of what happens when you die. This concept of heaven is so soothing and a unique idea for people to preview what their perfect afterlife will be. I thought Vivienne was a great character and her outlook for heaven was a balance of her past and her hopes for her son Ivan. Years ago I read the book Elsewhe ...more
InD'tale Magazine
What a journey it is! A story of love, loss, joy and pain, Ms. Kirk has written an extraordinarily complex and compelling story which reverberates to the reader’s soul.

Read full review in the 2016 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Melissa Stafford
I received this book through goodreads.com as a free giveaway. It was definitely an interesting read. I wish some of the characters were in the story longer. Quite unique.
Angela Thompson
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author Creates a Thought Provoking Look at Heaven, Hell and Life. Vivienne Marshall shares her views of the Afterlife as she drifts along the border of life and death. Along the way, the author shares some very thought provoking views on life's choices--and both Heaven and Hell. I love a book that transports me into the character's world--but, plants the seed of thought for me to look at my own life and world a bit as well.

Readers will feel a host of emotions with this story. Readers will be fac
Elisabeth Elo
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
OK, so I’m going to say right off the bat that I blurbed this book back when it was published in 2016, so in a way I’ve reviewed it already. But blurbs are short, so there’s really no way to do a book justice in a blurb. Hence, this review. I’m also not going to repeat what other reviewers have said. I want to focus on just one thing: the writing. Shannon Kirk reminds me why I wanted to be a writer in the first place. Her language is so energized with so many human feelings that you come alive y ...more
Noreen
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book as it allowed me to think about what maybe. The book shows a history of friendship, love and heartache.
It begins with Vivienne being struck by a truck while walking and texting. As she lays in the hospital on the edge of death she is reunited with Noah, the love of her life. Noah died when they were in their early 20's and she has never stopped mourning his death. Noah is there to help her decide what she wants included in her heaven. He urges her to find those who ha
Anneke
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall

Published by Reputation Books
Publication date: September 6, 2016

This was an extraordinary book in every way. Extremely creative plot concept and
structure. Gorgeous language. Finely drawn characters. Surprises galore. The book is about love and relations, loss, lives well-lived. I don't want to give away any spoilers. Have your hankie ready because you wi
Dawn Wilson
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heavenly Heavens

I truly enjoyed the idea of visiting Heavens before deciding on your own. And I absolutely loved that she and Noah, true soul love mates shared their Heavens. The characters and how they intertwined with one another were suspenseful and fascinating.

I didn't give the book all 5 stars because there was way too much description of every detail on every single page. I skipped paragraphs just
to continue the story. I don't mind imagery and details but sometimes one can over do it suc
Play Book Tag: The Extraordinary Journey of Vivienne Marshall - 4 stars 1 10 Jul 14, 2016 12:45AM

• Millicent Glenn's Last Wish
  • Last of the Magpies (Magpies, #3)
  • A Murder of Magpies (The Magpies, #2)
  • The Devil's Work
  • Transcendent Kingdom
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Baba Lenka: Pure Occult Horror
  • What Red Was
  • In Her Shadow
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The House On Rectory Lane
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Find Layla: A Novel
  • Mary: Spirit Woman of the Old West
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #1)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • Bowery Girl
My top 14 books of all time are as follows, in the following order--as in, if I was allowed only 14 books to bring to a deserted island where I was marooned for the rest of my life, these are what I would pack:

1. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabo)
2. Orphan Master's Son (Adam Johnson)
3. The Mummy Market (Nancy Brelis), tragically out of print, which makes ZERO sense because it's a classic
4. The Inc