Start by marking “A Honeyed Light” as Want to Read:
A Honeyed Light

A Honeyed Light

Kunal, relative newcomer to the strange town of Harmony, has his hands full preparing for Diwali. That should be enough to keep anyone's mind pre-occupied, but Kunal can't really ignore that he's nearly thirty, single, and still buried in the closet.

Out of town at a gay club one night, he bumps into Oscar, proprietor of Harmony's only sex shop, and figures his secret is no
Kindle Edition
Published December 14th 2016 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about A Honeyed Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Honeyed Light

Serena Yates
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diwali is one of the major festivals of Hinduism and a traditional spring festival in its home region of India. It falls between mid-October and mid-November which brings it close to Halloween in the northern hemisphere. There are a lot of details about its observance and meaning in this story, and I enjoyed learning more about it. With its spiritual significance as the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair, it is the perfect focus point ...more
namericanwordcat
I really enjoyed this holiday romance. We get two holidays! Diwali and Halloween.

The cast is wonderful as is the setting of this small town. The characters are quirky and great.

Oscar is a sunny hero. Out as bisexual and running the sex shop in town with great friends but no true love.

Kunal is closeted and cut off from gay culture though he hooks up.

This is a slow burn romance with a real warm glow from Diwali as two heroes of color find their way to each other and Kunal finds his way out and
Chris, the Dalek King
Convinced that being gay is going to lead to nothing more than loneliness and pain, Kunal has spent his whole adult life trying to pretend that he is anything else–at least in public. Even if doing so is just as lonely. But at least he has his family, so that has to count for something. That is enough, he thinks. Until he runs into Oscar at a gay club and is unable to resist the guy’s charms…after a little persuasion. Torn between trying to be everything his family wants him to be, and everythin ...more
Elaine White
POV – 3rd person, dual character POV
Would I read it again – Yes
Genre – Holiday, Family, Contemporary, Romance, LGBT

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

This was a beautiful story. The perfect length, with great attention to detail, especially for the Diwali holiday traditions and celebrations. At the same time, there was subtle but genius characterisation and diversity. I loved the gentle way the author handled the c
Joyfully Jay
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

Here is a charming story about two men who fall in love. There are no overwhelming machinations or diabolically evil characters. There are just sweet, slice-of-life events that show how these two men come together with a few personal touches to set it apart from other get-together stories.

Kunal and Oscar shine as individual characters and as a couple. Milano paints a great picture of Kunal as the ever-responsible eldest son in an Indian family. The level of detai
Lovinghotbooks1
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kindle, m-m
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley and I'm freely giving my honest review.*

This was a sweet story and I liked it but it felt like it didn't have enough substance to be a five star read so I go for four stars.

Kunal is closeted and works at his parents restaurant with his siblings. Oscar owns a sex shop and likes to get to know Kunal. He invites him to go bowling with him and his friends.

I think the storyline was good, and the writing style is easy and have enough di
Aisha
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much! I love how diverse the cast of characters are and I really appreciate how Kunal and Oscar's relationship developed. I also really liked how Kunal's coming out was handled. Not sickeningly sweet or perfect, and also not tragic or heartbreaking (there's enough of that to go around as it is).

Basically this was everything I'd hoped it would be and I can't wait for the sequel!
Louise
4.5 Stars

This is a really good little feel-good story, perfect for reading in the darker, colder months when it's set.

The cast of the story is brilliantly diverse and it's all stated explicitly in the text. The three main characters -- Kumal, Oscar and Ollie -- are all first-generation Americans, either gay or bi, and Kumal's Indian family play a major part in the plot.

The story is seasonal, taking part over Halloween and Diwali. The author includes lots of details and explanations of the Diwali
Amanda
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Honeyed Light is a sweet multicultural romance. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to start a new romance series.

This is an engaging and emotional story. Kunal and Oscar are really brought to life. Their personalities shine through from both introspection and action. It’s also refreshing to find a book showing gay romance through a different cultural perspective.

The focus of this book is the budding romance between Kunal and Oscar as well as Kunal’s struggles around coming out to his t
Lucie Paris
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun, fresh and well written!

Reading this book, you got all the ingredients for a great romance.
A nice scenery on the Diwali season. So you can learn about the celebration, the indian believes and traditions.
A nice duo who is touching and troubled. So when they start to fall for each other, as a reader you are already smiling.
And secondary characters, a bit strange but super cute. Add some ghosts and hot kisses and you are spending a great time with Kunal and Oscar.

A pleasant read nicely written.
Norma
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I beta read A Honeyed Light as a manuscript and it was as sweet as the title sounds! I can't wait to re-read it as a published novella.
Ana
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was really nice to see two men of color getting to be all romantic and gentle as well as lustful with each other. After reading this I too feel suffused with sweetness and light, both from Oscar and Kunal's relationship and from the descriptions of the Diwali celebration, and all the other restaurant and family scenes. Milano did a great job weaving Oscar and Kunal's burgeoning romance into a tapestry of really tactile elements, anchoring it with the delicious taste of the gulab jamun, the br ...more
Lois - Who Reads
A very sweet , although quick, feel-good romance. Kunal has lived a very insular life and has a slightly warped view of what he can expect being a gay man in America. That all changes when he meets Oscar who woos him with poetry and kisses. I really enjoyed these men and their friends and family.
Claire
3.5 stars really - darn you, goodreads, for still not allowing half stars.

A nice little book! Short, light, quick. No villains, only internalized homophobia, quick resolutions, lots of kindness and good communication. I like the cast of characters and might read more of their stories.
Valentine
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance isn't usually my jam, but this was a sweet story. The sort of thing for when you just need something light that will make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.
Jinni
This has a gay Indian-American Mc + bisexual Filipino MC and I LOVED IT. Full review to come.
Shelby
May 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 24%.

I am just finding this a little too dry to read.
Freddie Milano
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
There may be a little bit of a bias here... ;)
Rina
Neoma
Dec 14, 2018
reader80
Jul 10, 2018
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - A Honeyed Light by Freddie Milano - CLOSED 20 29 Dec 21, 2016 02:41PM
Freddie Milano lives with her partner-in-crime, two adorable and devilish cats, and far more ideas than she really has time to set down on (electronic) paper. She’s been writing since she could hold a pen, though most of the embarrassing stories thankfully never made in onto the internet, and can stay safely buried.

She loves wine, Korean pop music, tea, chocolate, coffee, mythology, and both video