Start by marking “Drowning” as Want to Read:
Drowning

Drowning

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
I ran.
From my family, my career, from every dream I ever had.
I stopped when I met her.
But what I realized was that she was running, too.
I tried to protect her—from the crash, from the injuries. From HIM.
All she ever felt was fists. All she ever heard was abuse.
Somewhere along the way, she’d started to believe she deserved it.
I was going to change that.
I was going to treasu
Published February 2nd 2017 (first published January 16th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drowning

Olga therebelreader
Drowning was romantic and sexy and was packed full of emotional and angsty moments! It had everything I look for in a romance novel, and the epilogue left me with a big fat smile on my face! What a sad story of abuse that leads into a beautiful love story, with a whole lot of sexual tension on the side!

The writing was great and flowing. The plot was intriguing. I loved all the main characters and I really felt like the authors did an awesome job getting the reader -me- to connect with them.

A
warhawke
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of intense story
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Andi Harper was stuck in a miserable life. She finally had enough and chose to take life into her own hands. Armed with a fresh future, she was ready to finally breathe free.

Clay had no choice but the run from everything that defined him. After being a ghost for a while, he had become accustomed of being invisible. But his anonymity was jeopardized when fate collided and steered him to another lost soul.

Before reading, I had
Elizabeth
"Life doesn't have to take one direct path toward happiness."
description

Drowning is a stand-alone contemporary romance by Marni Mann and Gia Riley. Full of suspense, action, tenderness, and intrigue this is one sweet romance full of survival and hope.

description
"I don't know what the hell I've done to deserve someone like her. But, now that I have her back, I'm never letting her go."
Andi Harper is drowning in an abusive relationship. Caught in the toxic cycle of abuse, she is desperate to escape. Finally with th
Lo Bookfrantic
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-br, arc-review-ng
4.5★★★★ stars

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person – Dual

description

"You're bigger than your fears."

Andi Harper was drowning; stuck in a relationship she did not want to be in. She never thought she was going to be in such a horrible situation where she felt trapped and couldn't leave. The man she had felt in love with was abusive and made her think he loved her but little by little she wasn't able to escape his nightmare.

Clay was running from a past; he was cheated and his entire li
Nicola
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having loved Lover , I wasted no time in grabbing another Marni Mann/Gia Riley collaboration, and once again they delivered.

"We're nothing more than two misunderstood people who are done fighting. And we're not going to give up until we come out on top."

I wasn't expecting this to be quite as intense as it was and with romance, suspense, and some action thrown into the mix, Clay and Andi's story is one that takes you on a rollercoaster of a journey.

"He sees the girl beneath the scars and pa
CC
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

Andi Harper is a gentle-hearted woman caught in an abusive relationship. Fearing for her life, she takes a giant step forward to leave that environment. While on the run, she meets someone who shows kindness but Andi needs honesty in order to find her own truth.

“Though scared of her own shadow, she took each breath with purpose because she knew she might be robbed of her next one.”

Clay is a man on the run from his past. While trying to hide the best he can, he tries to find ways he can reve
Michelle
*ARC provided by the author for an honest review*

This was brilliant luvd Adrian

I really enjoyed this book. My emotion were so over them place. I felt so sorry for both Andi and Adrian. They were both go in through such a hard time when they meet. They still had to deal with so much without the whole book. Both main characters had me luvin them from the beginning and together I luvd them even more.

Andi's life was getting worst and worst. She didn't think she could deal with Brooke's anymore. T
S.M. West
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, broken
4 STARS

This collaboration between Marni Mann and Gia Riley is chock-full of strife, the feels and action. Both Clay/Adrian and Andi have something to hide. They meet and find themselves in an unfortunate and harrowing circumstance where they're random meeting intensifies and binds them together.

As they hide, on the run from Adrian's scandal and Andi's abusive boyfriend, they struggle to make a life while working through their demons, and finding love with each other. Both characters are endeari
Katie
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

Whew! What a great read this was! I love my romances nice and angsty and it follows my favorite plot line in which BOTH the hero and heroine are running from something in their pasts.

I felt so bad for the heroine, Andi. With great writing from both authors, you felt Andi's pain when reminiscing about the past with her ex and you want nothing more than a beautiful HEA for her. That goes for Clay as well. Both characters were dealt a bad hand and I love how they found solace in each oth
Melanie (mells_view)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
 photo 3D670415-D498-4B45-9207-CEDFDCF4C195_zps6idcnri3.jpg
4.5 holy crap so much happened, stars!

Talk about feeling all the feelings. This book is a rollercoaster ride to say the least. I was angry at some points, I was crying at some points, and I was swooning at some points. Andi is running away from someone in her life who is very abusive. She's broken, but she knows running is her only chance to breath again. To stop drowning.

Clay has gotten into some trouble. He's running from it, and unfortunately has to leave the good life he had behind. His lif
Dri ✰
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
★4 stars!!!★

“You’re bigger than your fears.”

Adorei essa história!
Me apaixonei pelos personagens e seus dramas!
E como sempre, a escrita dessas duas autoras juntas é cativante e super fluída!
Leitura rápida e muito gostosa!

Depois das minhas últimas leituras não tão prazerosas, esse livro era tudo o que eu precisava! Aqueceu meu coração! <3
Mindy Lou's Book Review
An olympic swimmer shamed. An abused woman running. A tragic accident binds them closer.

There is a lot going on in this story that it's easy to breeze right through. I felt like I finished this in record time. It was good and the writing is great. I think I felt more like I was on the outside looking in and not fully submerged into the book but that may have more to do with my current mood than the actual book.
Janie
I really enjoyed this one. I liked Andi the h but I LOVED Adrian. He was so selfless and caring.
Nazanin
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, dark, romance
3.5 Stars

"The sunshine is always welcoming, but the night sky is unpredictable. Like the ocean, the depths of the darkness lead to shadows of uncertainty. And, when it’s dark, my mind can play tricks on me way too easily."

Drowning is an angsty standalone by authors that I wasn’t familiar with their works. The story was okay for me. Not so bad not so good. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed it but not as much as I liked. I expect more for an angsty.

Clay is an Olympic swimmer but he has gotten into tro
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Drowning by Marni Mann and Gia Riley
4.5 stars!!!

“If I’ve learned anything, it’s that hollow apologies and empty promises hurt the most.”

Drowning is a book where the hero and heroine could have easily chosen a different path, could have easily given up, where life had thrown them more crap than they could handle and yet they both came out the other side. Battle scarred, emotionally wrecked, yet still breathing. Their different tragedies brought them together, but could the same ultimately tea
Lučka
~~~ 3.5 "Drowning" stars~~~

First of, I wouldn't say this is a dark-dark read. It was more like a fluffy dark for me. But who am I to judge, right!? I like extremely dark, bloody and insanely creepy. The gruesome the better.
I know what you're thinking
description
Mind your own vagina and let me be. "wink"

The story has some triggers (view spoiler), which certify as a dark fiction.

The plot is quite interesting. It's packed with suspense, drama, angst, passion and romance.
Adrian, our
Karlie (cozyreadsandtea)
*1.5
Elle the ClosetRomanceReader aka Leftie aka Shoebelle
*ARC received as part of blog tour*

2.5 ★

Before anything else, let me just say that this is another case of “it’s not you, it’s me” sadly. I honestly don’t know what happened. While Gia is a new-to-me author, Marni isn’t. I’ve highly enjoyed Marni’s previous works. So I’m thinking this is just me.

It’s a good story, with lots of good source of angst, suspense and all kinds of hotness. The h (eek, I don’t even remember her name... *reads blurb* oh yes, Andi), running away from a terrible situation
Quinn's Quippy Quotes
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Andi:

I've endured enough pain. I'm ready to start over.

I'm ready to start living again.

Clay:

I've shamed my family.

I've ruined my life.

I've thrown away everything I ever worked for.

I'll never get out of this mess.

I've never get to clear my name.

We've all had to walk away from something in our lives, but sometimes you have to run. That's what Andi and Clay are doing, but for very different reasons. They both need to escape their pasts, the decisions that have led them to where they are, and t
Libby Harrison

Plot: 3/5
Grovel: none
Cheating: none
HEA: yes
Triggers: abuse, domestic violence, descriptive sex with other woman, rape

Average score: 3.5/5

Best Line: “I’ve got you, Andi. I’m not letting go.”

Worst Line: “I’ll never get to clear my name.”

Personal Review:
This was a fast paced romance between a wrongly accused athlete and an abused woman

Random Ramblings
•I liked that they were careful with eac
Raquel Costa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 estrelas***

"I’ve endured enough pain.
I’m ready to start over.
I’m ready to start living again."

Cada vez que leio um livro da Marni me encanto ainda mais.
Vc já fica presa na história no primeiro capítulo, e daí por diante não consegue mais parar de ler. Me apaixonei pelos personagens, cada um com seus traumas e seus problemas, mas ambos fortes. O enredo que a autora construiu principalmente da mocinha, é tão real, tão parte do dia a dia de muitas pessoas que não teve como eu ler não me enc
Wit & Wonder Books
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Sometimes the difficult reads are the ones that touch your soul, Drowning was just such a read for me.

It's not always easy reading about characters going through emotional pain, however when they FINALLY achieve the happiness they so richly deserve, well then the roller coaster was well worth it.

Andi and Clay are both damaged, they both are running from the past and are so alike in so many ways yet different in others. Life has not been easy
Le Ann Foster
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
♡♡Reviewed for CherryOBlossoms Promotions ♡ ♡

I gave this book 5 Stars!

So I have read everyone of Marni's books and I have to say that I can't pick just one that is my favorite because she can make you love them, gut you or keep you guessing to the end. With Gia's it's a different story for me because this was the first book I have read from her and I can say that I will be definitely reading more of her work in the near future.

I have to say ladies yall done a AMAZING job at telling Andi and A
2OCC Reviews
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marie
While reading Drowning by Marni Mann and Gia Riley I was hit with a lot of emotions. Having avoided books that dealt with any kind of physical abuse, I was drawn into this book because of the healing powers of their words within the pages.

Adrian/Clay has his own problems, but when he sees Andi, he wants to help. Andi is a broken woman trying to run away and find herself. The ups and downs that these two go through will break your heart and then mend it.

Character development was exceptional in th
Laura- BookBistroBlog
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two lost people...Both on the run...Running for two different reasons. Can they escape and make a life of normalcy or will their pasts catch up with them?
Andi has been in an abusive relationship for years. Finally working up a plan to escape with the help from her best friend. Making it to the train station, boards the train and takes off to start her new life in a new state.
Clay is a star swimmer who got caught up in a scandal. Set up and left to hang all alone. Living his life on the run now.
Tabitha Willbanks
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOWZA!!!
I swooned hard reading this book!!
Clay *sigh* This poor, tortured character, and Andi, she was such a strong female lead. The authors put these two through the perverbial ringer. Good grief! My heart almost couldn't take it.
It's no secret that I am a HUGE Gia Riley fan, and this was another that didn't disappoint. Her teaming up with Marni Mann was just this much better! Thanks ladies for a fantastic read! I hope we see more from your team soon!
Nance
Two people fighting for their lives are thrown together when destiny rocks their world. I couldn't help but truly be invested in their emotional journey. It was one tearful and thrilling roller coaster of a ride. Not knowing what was going to happen next was always in the forefront. The abuse was hard to read about, but Andi was one courageous and passionate woman. And, Adrian, his story was obviously one of deceit and heartache. He was one unselfish and kind man. Always putting Andi before hims ...more
Cyndi
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read most of gia's books but marni is new for me. They didn't disappoint. You will feel for the main characters in the book. I wanted to just hug them and give them strength to do what needed to be done.
I couldn't put it down as usual with Gia's novels. I received this as an ARC and so very happy I received it from them.
The Rock Stars of Romance
Jan 19, 2017 marked it as trsor-authors
Shelves: exclusive
Drowning by Marni Mann & Gia Riley is an emotional contemporary romance releasing February 2nd.
Read a SNEAK PEEK and be sure to add this powerful story to your TBR!
Carla
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Stephanie's Book Reports.

*Carla's Four Star Review

Ever since she met Brooks, the wolf in sheep's clothing, Andi has been living her own personal nightmare. As she sees the darkness in his eyes grow stronger each day, Andi realizes that if she doesn't leave now, she is going to end up dead. With the help of her best friend, Camille, Andi ends up on a train headed to Philadelphia with a new identity and the hope for a better life
Bestselling author Marni Mann knew she was going to be a writer since middle school. While other girls her age were daydreaming about teenage pop stars, Marni was fantasizing about penning her first novel. She crafts sexy, titillating stories that weave together her love of darkness, mystery, passion, and human emotions. A New Englander at heart, she now lives in Sarasota, Florida, with her husban ...more