Start by marking “Love Warrior” as Want to Read:
Love Warrior

Love Warrior

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  47,091 ratings  ·  4,915 reviews
The highly anticipated new memoir by bestselling author Glennon Doyle Melton tells the story of her journey of self-discovery after the implosion of her marriage.

Just when Glennon Doyle Melton was beginning to feel she had it all figured out—three happy children, a doting spouse, and a writing career so successful that her first book catapulted to the top of the New York T
Published September 6th 2016 by St. Martin’s Press

·  47,091 ratings  ·  4,915 reviews

Start your review of Love Warrior
Becca
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I sit here in rehab with my newly sober shakey hands just finishing Glennons Love Warrior in one night all I can think is thank freakin' god.
My heart fills my whole chest but does not hurt. I let her look right at me and she is not mad. She and I are the same. She loves me, I know it. She has been waiting for me. I sit in front of her and she is what I needed, she is the hiding place Iv been looking for. She is not mad. Glennon is my Mary. She is my red velvet carpet. She is my candle of pr
Kelsey
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were many parts of this book that I LOVED, parts that challenged me and made me think. Some of it felt self absorbed and frustrated me.
Kelsey
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With each chapter I read of this book, I thought of someone new I wanted to recommend it to. Eventually settling on everyone. Everyone should read this book. Love Warrior is about being vulnerable, shedding your "representative(s)", and being enough.
Elyse  Walters
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook.....read by the author- Glennon Doyle Melton

The only thing I knew about this book when I saw that my library Overdrive had it readily available on my iPhone app, was that I had VISUALLY seen this book everywhere. Weather or not I knew it was an Oprah pick - honestly- it didn’t register one way or another. This book wasn’t particularly on my radar. I might have marked it to read - but forgotten about it as fast as I marked it. I remember finding the book cover eye-catching cool looking.
Noelle
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book just did not do it for me. I've read her blog some and her first book but this one just seemed to be choppy writing and SO much about her dislike of having sex. I generally enjoy her authenticity. I thought it droned on and on but clearly I'm in the minority on Goodreads.
Samantha
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self indulgent and long winded memoir of a "mom" blogger. I'm sad I cannot get the time back I spent reading this book. A true disappointed.
Cheri
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, 2016, anorexia
3.5 Stars - not rounded up

I may be in the minority on this one, but I had no idea who Glennon Doyle Melton was, I never heard of her first book, and I’ve never read her blog.

As a young girl, she had body-image issues, the daughter of a practically perfect in every way mother, and spent most of her pre-teen years and beyond trying to attain her idea of a perfect body through anorexia and bulimia. As her friends become sexually intimate with their boyfriends, she does, as well, although she begin
Molly
Dec 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Brittany
Jul 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, dnf, arc
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to win the "advanced reader copy" lottery and get this book, but figured I'd finish it once my summer vacation had started - I finished it in 24 hours. I read Glennon Doyle Melton's other book - Carry On, Warrior - and loved her sense of humor and her writing style on her blog, but this book was a new voice I hadn't heard from her before that I loved. It was deep and weighty and lovely and poetic and heartbreaking. I am not nor ever have been married, but the book spoke about love ...more
Diane
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a powerful memoir of addiction and healing that I read it twice.

I admit I didn't know who Glennon Doyle Melton was when I decided to read this book. A friend had said she liked her blog (called Momastery) and was excited about her new book, so I grabbed a copy for a buddy read.

Glennon is so open and honest about her struggles with alcoholism and bulimia that you feel like her new best friend, and wow, are we having a heavy talk today. Love Warrior opens with her wedding to a man n
Amanda
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't know anything about Glennon Doyle Melton prior to reading this book. I had never read her blog or her previous work. I was attracted to this mostly because of the cover and the title but also because I had read that she was a recovering alcoholic.

This memoir is about her struggles with her husband's infidelity and to find herself. I really enjoyed and got a lot out of the first 2/3 of this but then it went into way too much god and yoga for me.

I did really like her thoughts on pain and
Calista
This book was just what I needed to hear and read right now. The last hour of the book I was crying. Where to start with the powerful map to deeply loving yourself.

Who is Glennon? Before this book I didn't have a clue and after this book I think of her as a real person bringing real truth to the world. She has issues with her body growing up that causes her to lose faith and trust in her body. She tries to follow all the rules she think exist and she acts out who she wants to be.

This book is a
Michelle
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wildly disappointing, perhaps my expectations were too high and I am not the target market. Memoir seemed disjointed, self-absorbed and too self-congratulatory.
Michelle
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit...I'd previously read a few of Melton's blog posts and deemed her style "not for me." Too religious? Too "dramatic" (whatever that means)? I'm not sure. I did not read her first book but picked up this on friend's recommendation and, frankly, because I couldn't believe what a tizzy Jennifer Weiner threw when THIS book was chosen by Oprah, not hers. Well, I was thoroughly impressed by Melton's work...so, well done, Oprah!

Though I have little in common with the author other than be
Kelli
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I need to step back for more than my usual minute on this one. My initial thoughts upon finishing, which will be formed with other thoughts into a likely brief but cohesive review:

A Kindergartener has neither the attention span nor the interest to listen to that detailed diatribe about what sexy is, what we are being tricked into thinking it is, how it is being sold to us, what it really is.

Maybe I shouldn't have listened to this on the heels of Hillbilly Elegy.

One person's whiny is another pers
Melanie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I consumed this book like I used to consume Stoli O with cranberry juice when I, too, was trying not to feel so much. I highlighted half the book, and that says enough, methinks.
Ginger

I didn’t expect to finish this book so fast. I’m not a fan of memoirs or autobiographies but this was great! I would not have picked this book up if it wasn’t for my book club. Shout out to my book club for broadening my horizon! I’m so glad they choose this one for the month. This book was raw, beautiful and powerful. It’s incredibly deep in many areas of life; trying to be your authentic self, learning how to communicate in an honest way to escaping into substance abuse, bulimia or me
Genevieve
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Just, no. I'm struggling to find something I liked about this book but I can't. I forced myself through it thinking it would eventually get better.
Colleen Fauchelle
review to come. Just know that this book came along at the right time, which is why I gobbled it up.

Our daughter is struggling at the moment and as a mother I want to love her and try to understand her but at the same time to be honest it is hard work and I live between guilt because I should have done better as a mum and worry about if she is going to be ok. She is 23 next week and still lives with us so we know she is safe. We are at some stage going to all be in councilling together.

So this b
Kerry
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I didn't expect to finish this book in 6 hours. I didn't expect to cry through it. After hearing the author speak in Chicago, I didn't expect to see myself in this book. I did all of these things. This book is as honest and real as you could hope for. I wish this book was out now so that I could buy copies for both my daughters, my sister, and all my nieces. Everyone I know well can identify with parts of Glennon's journey. Her description of grace in terms of her marriage is revealing, and ever ...more
Maurya
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hello all. I finished this book about a week ago and am seriously struggling with how I feel about it, and how to write my thoughts about it... It is a Memoir of Glennon's life.

Why did I read it? I read it for two reasons - that kind of get mixed into one... My sister and I decided to do a Story Telling course with Brene Brown, and this is the book that goes with the course. And then Oprah named it her book of the month. So Killian said, let's go for it. So we did.

Bottom line: Readability - pret
Bertha
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't even know how to feel about this book. I didn't know anything about the author going in and I found the first half of the book very compelling & I identified with a lot of the author's feelings even though I haven't personally experienced most of the trauma she has. The second half of the book unexpectedly turned into what felt like an infomercial for God, which is fine, and I'm glad if that's what ultimately led to the author's healing, it's just not at all what I was expecting. I'm not ...more
Amie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
This came across as self indulgent and whiny to me. I often wondered how she remembered all these detailed conversations and events given that she says several times that she didn't write during this period, so i kept feeling like her recollections were perhaps disingenuous and crafted for the book. I'm surprised I even finished the book--if I hadn't been waiting for something new from the library and I wasn't trapped feeding a newborn for long stretches of time, I probably wouldn't have.
Shirley Conley
Oct 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is like reading a person’s personal journal. I find that I do not like reading a person’s personal journal. I did not find it to be realistic or believable. And full of “I’s like this review.
Laurie Anderson
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I mostly loved this, but am uncomfortable that she wrote it when her kids were too young to consent to their inclusion. Am still pondering and struggling with this - would love to hear your thoughts.

Anna
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just realized I forgot to review this... That's partly because it's the kind of challenging and impactful book that is hard to condense down into a few words.

This book had a different tone from Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed, where she shared her first journey of moving out of numbing addictions into full on facing both the good and bad of life. In Love Warrior: A Memoir, Glennon is caught up again in a heartbreaking situation. There is something wiser, more intensely honest, and mo
Sharon
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
exactly the book I needed to read this month. Raw, open, glowing, and the first honest "self-help" type book I've read since Augusten Burrowes's.

On a critical level, the dialogue all felt fake, Kent to convey the author's ideas rather than relate a real conversation that happened, and this took me out of the book somewhat, so that's why I'm stopping short of 5 stars - I wish she would've invented dialogue if necessary and kept those passages outside the quotation marks. Other than that, a truly
Robin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I was an early reader of this book and back in December 2015 said it could easily be an Oprah choice, and this morning it was announced it was indeed Oprah's next book club choice.

Also, Glennon report on her blog that she and her husband have separated, which is very sad. http://momastery.com/blog/2016/08/01/...

What struck me most about the memoir was her courage, candor, and honesty in relating the most intimate details of her life and marriage. Definitely a winner for women's book grou
Donna
I loved this book. Loved. Loved. I will agree that this book is not for everyone, but this author spoke my language.

I discovered her this past week when I read my first book by her, titled Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed. That one was so entertaining, that I wanted to read more. So I got this one. I was a little disappointed when it started because it wasn't a humorous look into her life, but it was serious....a really, really serious hard look at her life and her life's decisions.
Eclectic Readers: Love Warrior 1 11 Apr 04, 2017 06:37PM
Paper & Glam Book...: February 2017: Love Warrior 26 189 Feb 22, 2017 07:47PM
SequelCare Book Club: Book #1 - Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton 1 3 Sep 15, 2016 12:57PM

• Untamed
  • Forward: A Memoir
  • WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game
  • Open Book
  • More Myself: A Journey
  • City of Girls
  • Rising Strong
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone
  • Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
  • The Gifts of Imperfection
  • We Are the Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life
  • American Dirt
Glennon Doyle is the author of the #1 New York Times bestsellers UNTAMED (a Reese’s Book Club selection) and LOVE WARRIOR ( an Oprah's Book Club selection), as well as the New York Times bestseller CARRY ON, WARRIOR. An activist and thought leader, Glennon is the founder and president of Together Rising, an all-women led nonprofit organization that has revolutionized grassroots philanthr ...more

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, we foc...
“Grief is love's souvenir. It's our proof that we once loved. Grief is the receipt we wave in the air that says to the world: Look! Love was once mine. I love well. Here is my proof that I paid the price.” 165 likes
“You are not supposed to be happy all the time. Life hurts and it's hard. Not because you're doing it wrong, but because it hurts for everybody. Don't avoid the pain. You need it. It's meant for you. Be still with it, let it come, let it go, let it leave you wtih the fuel you'll burn to get your work done on this earth.” 138 likes