Start by marking “Shows about Nothing: Nihilism in Popular Culture from the Exorcist to Seinfeld” as Want to Read:
Shows about Nothing: Nihilism in Popular Culture from the Exorcist to Seinfeld

Shows about Nothing: Nihilism in Popular Culture from the Exorcist to Seinfeld

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The glamorous portrayal of evil in film and television, frequently denounced as an attack on family values and an incitement to real-life violence, is more complicated and more disturbing than we realize. Exploring the themes and artistry of landmark films and television shows, Thomas Hibbs argues that the demonic antiheroes and seductive comic evil of popular culture are ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Spence Publishing Company (first published December 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Shows about Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shows about Nothing

Douglas Wilson
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture-studies
Very good.
Curby Graham
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging read on nihilism in popular culture as it comes through the big and small screen. This is an updated version of his 1999 work. The new one includes commentary and reflection on more recent shows like Mad Men as well as movies such as Avatar, Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings series.
Lee
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. Not exactly what I was hoping for. It provided a great explanation of nihilism and how it's displayed in many types of shows. I would have enjoyed a more movie centric analysis, but it's good to understand some of the major philosophical influences on our society (Nietzsche, Descartes, etc.) I've probably only ever seen a handful of Seinfeld episodes and never had imagined how nihilistic it was. The other complaint I have is that the movies it did discuss, I've never seen ( ...more
Kevin Heldt
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a great book--and one of the more "different" books I've read. I thought it worked better as a series of insightful movie and TV show reviews, though I do think he made a compelling argument for the trending of our culture towards nihilism.
Don Incognito
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
A study of nihilism in television and movies--including The Exorcist, Trainspotting, Natural Born Killers, The Silence of the Lambs, Seinfeld, and The Simpsons (ouch). Mentions some of popular nihilism's antecedents in philosophy and literature.
Frank Roberts
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent critique of our modern popular culture
Robert Hubbard
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
It interesting and I enjoyed it but it was a little hard to read. It felt more like I was reading an essay then a book and in some parts I had to have a dictionary near by to look up words.
Jess
Sep 12, 2012
Cole Jeffrey
Nov 29, 2010
Iris
Shows about Nothing does an excellent job of pointing out how an American form of nihilism is present in many popular movies and t.v. shows. I found the first chapter ("Nihilism, American Style") especially interesting. The subsequent chapters look at how that American form of nihilism plays out in a wide variety of movies.
Joe Taylor