Start by marking “Loving Each Other” as Want to Read:
Loving Each Other

Loving Each Other

In this exploration of loving and living, bestselling author Leo Buscaglia addresses the intricacies and challenges of love relationships. He asks such important questions, as: How do we best interweave our lives with our loved ones? Do we change our way of relating depending on the circumstances: If we fail in one relationship, can we succeed in others? In this exhilarati ...more
Published March 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Loving Each Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Each Other

Ziyanda Xaso
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on relationships I've read, and I have read a lot! I love Leo's informal and simple, yet effective, style of writing. The book is an amazingly easy read, the ideas presented are simple to grasp, yet not simplistic. The book flows easily from one topic to the next and I love how he introduces the topics in the beginning of the book as well.

One of the first things he tackles is the "and they lived happily ever after" myth - one of the most tragic sentences in literatu
Martine
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was not my first Buscaglia book that I read. He's from an Italian family and is very demonstrative in expressing his emotions. This book was helpful for me at the time I read it since my childhood memories are from a volatile and dysfunctional family, so I relished reading books where the families were loving and open.
Catherine Madry
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great self-help book for people who are having problems loving through communication, in honesty, in forgiveness,in joy, in letting go,and in intimacy. Many people are afraid to commit to actually loving each other. The lessons learned is intended to help you show love, tenderness, compassion, caring, sharing, and thereby relating to each other using our most vital human behaviors.

Most people lived their lives without using these qualities. Although they may have the best of health, t
Holly
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoy all of his books. A mentor of my life.
Steve Sapato
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leo makes reaing a real joy. Sharing is experiences and life and travels. I know you will enjoy all of Leo's books, tapes or CD's.
Donna
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have read several of Leo's books and Iove them all! I really enjoyed this book.
Vampiregirl14
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dr. Buscaglia has rightly asserted that not many books have been written about relationships. This easy-to-read book deals with all the facets that constitute healthy relationships. While Dr. Love does not limit the relationships to women-men, and he includes our closest relationships (parents, children, etc.), his prescription for loving one another is broken down into categories (intimacy, jealousy, etc.) and is a fairly quick read. Anyone who is in a love-based relationship ought to read this ...more
Jazzie
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books I bought from my own school allowance. It was a great read. I still get to reread it every time I would have questions about relationships. We are all social beings, whether we like it or not, we need to relate with other people in order to live our lives to the fullest.

One of my favorite lines in this book is,
" What you learn about yourself will infinitely help in trying to understand others."
Joyzi
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it

This is a gift given to me by my new friend. She gave this to me for my birthday. Although I'm not really a fan of self-help books particularly about love, this book is quite helpful and tolerable. It's a short read and it's a nice break from reading a lot of books about law. :)
Kevin
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book review is for: “Loving Each Other” (1984©), written by Dr. Leo Buscaglia. (The “Dr.” is for PhD, not Medical Doctor.) Dr. Buscaglia was half-known as “Dr. Love”, and was pretty much world famous as an author and motivational / relationship speaker back in the 1980’s / 1990’s. He was also a lecturing professor at the University of Southern California. He has since passed away (1998), but you can view some of his lectures and interviews on YouTube.

This is a book I’ve been carrying around
Joseph
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great culling of the author’s own experience along with writings and observations from historical, religious, and literal sources. Also does a nice job of suggesting attitudinal, behavioral, and habit changes to understand and love others, sometimes in spite of one’s self. Funny, poignant, clever, and heart-warming.
Nicole
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miss M.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leo Buscaglia is an excellent author. He is one of my best authors. He has a way of reaching people in his books. This book is a must read. Buscaglia provides an easy to understand break down of relationships. I highly recommend this book.
Susan
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just love Leo Buscaglia. His priorities are so on point. But this is not his best book. His best book is Living Living and Learning.
Elizabeth
Loving Each Other: The Challenge of Human Relationships (Hardcover)
by Leo F. Buscaglia
Maurice
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Book for understanding love
Debbie
Jun 15, 2019 added it
Good book. Love his voice of compassion.
Mareira
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
so loving and caring like leo!
i bought it for a very close and dear friend who could appreciate the beauty of the book.
he read it the same night and loved it. i thought we capture the meaning of the book..the essence of leo <3
Helen Downie
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was published the same year as I was born! While it seems as though times have changed, the nuggets of wisdom are timeless.

"Loving Each Other" is not only a must read for anyone relating to others, but I would add especially for people in helping professions - with communication often at the core of our work.

As I'm about midway through, my reflections are also connected to consulting and facilitation experiences.

And now, the more I read Buscalagia's work I have to slow myself down a
Emily
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like this subject
Recommended to Emily by: me
An old amigo -- I can pop this author's works open, and they will speak to me, anytime. I might let them rest for awhile...then read read read, or maybe just briefly 'peek'.
Useful tool of a book. At least, works for me :)
Melinda
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good advice for loving relationships.
Lisa Sellers
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cursillo
Another great book - see Living, Loving, Learning for the details.
Mark Fallon
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading this beautiful book reminded me of how important the loving relationships are to me.
Krys
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! I read it when I was single and now again with my husband. A must read for healthy relationships!
Jen
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
It was good, but I was not as impressed as I thought I'd be by Leo's musings. Maybe I'll have to read some of his other stuff.
Meg Foglietti
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Leo Buscaglia is so insightful and a joy to read!
Steve Sapato
AN excellent book about how love changes you and the people you touch. Leo Buscaglia is a wonder and I enjoy all of his swork.
Ballpeendash
Jul 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ballpeendash by: The Stop and Shop parking lot
I found this book in a stop and shop parking lot...I believe I was on my way to a psychologist at the time. I took it as a sign. Not a bad book...the style just seems a tad outdated at this point.
Corinne Apezteguia
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is a really old book that I happened to check out because it was recommended by another author I really liked. It was a quick read and had some great tips mainly for a marriage relationship.
Marlee
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is easy to read and mostly positive. I enjoyed most of it. It was mostly encouraging. It was an easy, quick read.

• Letters to Karen: On Keeping Love in Marriage (Abingdon Classics Series)
  • The Silent Passage: Menopause
  • Make The Connection: 10 Steps To A Better Body   And A Better Life
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication  the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery
  • God Is in the Small Stuff... And It All Matters
  • Conjoint Family Therapy
  • Who Would You Be Without Your Story?: Dialogues with Byron Katie
known as "Dr. Love"

Dr. Felice Leonardo Buscaglia Ph.D. was a professor in the Department of Special Education at the University of Southern California. He was a graduate of Theodore Roosevelt High School (Los Angeles).

Leo Buscaglia authored a number of New York Times bestselling inspirational books on love and human reticences on the subject, including The Fall of Freddie the Leaf, Bus 9 to Paradi
“When we give ourselves in love we become our most vulnerable. We are never safe. We become open to disappointment and hurt.” 64 likes
“Even after centuries of human interacting, children still continue to rebel against their parents and siblings. Young marrieds look upon their in-laws and parents as obstacles to their independence and growth. Parents view their children as selfish ingrates. Husbands desert their wives and seek greener fields elsewhere. Wives form relationships with heroes of soap operas who vicariously bring excitement and romance into their empty lives. Workers often hate their bosses and co-workers and spend miserable hours with them, day after day. On a larger scale, management cannot relate with labour. Each accuses the other of unreasonable self-interests and narrow-mindedness. Religious groups often become entrapped, each in a provincial dogma resulting in hate and vindictiveness in the name of God. Nations battle blindly, under the shadow of the world annihilation, for the realization of their personal rights. Members of these groups blame rival groups for their continual sense of frustration, impotence, lack of progress and communication. We have obviously not learned much over the years. We have not paused long enough to consider the simple truth that we humans are not born with particular attitudinal sets regarding other persons, we are taught into them. We are the future generation's teachers. We are, therefore, the perpetrators of the confusion and alienation we abhor and which keeps us impotent in finding new alternatives. It is up to us to diligently discover new solutions and learn new patterns of relating, ways more conducive to growth, peace, hope and loving coexistence. Anything that is learned can be unlearned and relearned. In this process called change lies our real hope.” 52 likes