Start by marking “The Marriage Lie” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Lie

Read Book* *Different edition

The Marriage Lie

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  38,378 ratings  ·  3,732 reviews
Even the perfect marriage has its dark side…

Iris and Will's marriage is as close to perfect as it can be: a large house in a nice Atlanta neighborhood, rewarding careers and the excitement of trying for their first baby. But on the morning Will leaves for a business trip to Orlando, Iris's happy world comes to an abrupt halt. Another plane headed for Seattle has crashe
Published January 1st 2017 by MIRA (first published December 27th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Lie, please sign up.
Kimberly Belle Hi Bethany, not scary but definitely suspenseful as Iris goes searching for the truth about her husband. But no monsters jumping out from behind…moreHi Bethany, not scary but definitely suspenseful as Iris goes searching for the truth about her husband. But no monsters jumping out from behind doors, I promise! ;)(less)
Amy Starnes That doesn't really seem like a question. Just because it is the same theme doesn't mean it reads the same, or concludes the same. Try it, you may…moreThat doesn't really seem like a question. Just because it is the same theme doesn't mean it reads the same, or concludes the same. Try it, you may just like it.(less)

·  38,378 ratings  ·  3,732 reviews

Start your review of The Marriage Lie
Bibi
Feb 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilers**

Until the 80% mark, this book was a solid 4/4.5 stars. Good plot, good characters, great pacing with a highly engaging prose. So why one star? We'll come back to that.

It starts off with a plane crash, one in which Will Griffith had been a passenger. Will, you see, never should have been on that flight.

In the aftermath of this tragedy, the grieving widow is confronted with a situation that indicates the marriage was based on mistruths. Will was far from who he said he was. I
Chelsea Humphrey
This book was the definition of suspense and compulsive reading. I didn’t want to put it down! As this was my first experience with a Kimberly Belle novel, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but my Nana Book Bestie assured me it was a must read and I had to get my hands on it. As always, her recommendation didn’t disappoint and am happy to say I’m the newest member of the K-Belle Fan Club! After a few longer books, I was looking for something to be a quick, thrilling read that I could get through in the b ...more
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 stars*

Ever wish that you just didn’t have to rate a book? That you could simply read it, ponder its significance, or lack thereof, and then…*gasp*…move on? For us avid reviewers here on Goodreads, that’s not really an option. We take our *job* very seriously, as we should, because there is an emptiness that lingers after finishing a book when we don't outwardly express our thoughts in some way. It can almost feel as though we didn't read the book at all…we become those trees, crashing down soundlessly in desertedthen……move
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Audiobook.....
"I can't take another moment of this parade of mourners" says Iris! Me Either!
Iris is exasperating to listen to. "My Will"..."My Will"...."My Will"..... he is supposed to be in Orlando.... I'm exhausted listening to Iris repeat herself - whine like a two year old - be rude to everyone around her- ( yucky verbally rude). I just stopped caring about the story!
Iris is a psychologist. Frightening! Just frightening!!!

2 stars FOR ME....at the same time I DO UNDERSTAND READ
Norma * Traveling Sister * On hiatus due to health
Okay first off I am definitely all about how a book makes me feel while reading and after finishing it. The emotions can either be positive or negative doesn't matter it just has to make me feel something. Have you ever felt like you were just reading a book just to finish it? To be totally honest that is how I felt. It just seemed like I was just reading it and knew what was going to happen next. Although I did like the storyline and the characters which kept me interested enough to finish this ...more
Julie
The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle is a 2017 MIRA publication.

Wow! The Marriage Lie is an outstanding domestic thriller that captured my attention from page one and never let go.

Iris and Will are happily married, blissful, even, until Will leaves town on a business trip. As word trickles back to her that Will may have been on an ill-fated flight, Iris discovers her husband may not be the man she thought he was. As she peels away the layers of the foundation her marriage was built upon, one sho
Meredith
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Surprisingly good thriller about a widow determined to find out about her late husband’s mysterious past.

Married to her husband Will for seven years, Iris couldn’t be happier. Her friends warn her that the seven year itch is approaching, but she and Will are still blissfully in love. Sounds too good to be true, right?

Well when Will unexpectedly dies in a plane crash, Iris learns that the man she married was not the man she thought he was. She begins digging into her husband’s past and discov
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
We had the honour of Kimberly Belle joining us for a Q & A in the Behind the Pages group.

To View what Kimberly had to say about her books

My review

This is not your typical marriage lie here. Kimberly Belle skillfully weaves the layers of deception here with the lies and secrets in this marriage. She builds that suspense and tension to keep me turning those pages as fast as I could. Then reveals those secrets at just the perfect time to keep me on my toes and guessing just how dece
Evgnossia O'Hara
Review was originally published on Through the Chapters|Blog

*2.5 stars*

The story has a promising beginning. The plot is evolving quickly, bringing the readers to the core of the narrative.

Being said that, Iris and Will is a happily married couple, for seven years now, and they still seem madly in love. But their safe heaven has been destroyed when Iris finds out that her husband was a victim of the plane crush, which he wasn’t supposed to take. As a result, Iris launches her own investigation to discover the reasons that led her spouseChapters|Blog
*2.5
j e w e l s
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled
Wow- I can't. I can't. I CAN'T LISTEN ANYMORE!!

I may look for the written version sometime, but this book is terrible on audio. Iris, with her whining, crying and oh my gosh...uh-uh, nope..
*TANYA*
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the story is not very original, it still had a few surprises. This book had my attention from the very beginning and kept it till the very end. I'm impressed, a very good read.
♡ Kim ♡
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, signed-copy, i-own
Wow! This was one rollercoaster ride of a great book! In fact, I am still feeling the adrenaline rush of that last sentence.

Most definitely one of my favorite books I have read this year!
Susanne  Strong
3 Stars.

In an instant, Iris’s life is shattered. A news report. A plane crash. Her husband’s name. A flight he wasn’t even supposed to be on. An impossibility.

Iris is sure it’s a mistake. After all, he was supposed to be on a different flight altogether. Why would he lie? She desperately needs an explanation.

What a premise. Grief, despair, lies and deceit. If you’ve ever suffered loss or have been married and have been a victim of deceit, this is a novel that hits home i
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Iris Griffith always thought that her marriage to Will was secure. Together they are celebrating seven years of marriage and are trying to start a family. Will is a guest speaker in a business conference and leaves in the morning for Orlando. Later that afternoon, Iris is notified that her husband was killed aboard a plane that crashed enroute to Seattle. Grief stricken, Iris refuses to believe that Will is dead and is adamant that he never boarded that flight.

As the days pass, Iris
Lisa
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle was a fast paced suspense thriller that kept me engaged right from the get go, but my rating isn't going to be a 5 will tell you why?
Although the premise was an original concept I just thought the ending left me a bit flat I was saying to myself that it could have packed a bit more punch, that's not to say I didn't like it which I did.

Will & Iris Griffiths are happily married have good jobs & nothing could tear them apart, until a plan
Mackey
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marriage Lie is a definite thrill ride, a truly great page turner! This is the first book that I've read by Kimberly Belle so I wasn't sure what to expect; I can definitely say it won't be the last book of hers that I read!

Yes, it is another story of a wife who finds out secrets that her husband kept from her. Yep. I know. At least this time she doesn't have amnesia in the process!! The difference with this book is how well it is written, how quick paced the dialogue flows, how much the charac
YC
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next
I rolled my eyes too many times reading this book, that my eyes rolled out of my head.
Vanessa
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook version of this novel was great, the storyline and writing had me invested and the writing flowed nicely. A book about the ramifications of building a marriage on a bed of lies and the consequences of that. A few nice surprises along the way to keep the suspense and the pages turning. Also loved the ending!
Mary Kubica
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After her husband's mysterious death, Iris Griffith begins to investigate whether her husband, Will, is the man she thought she knew, bringing her from Atlanta to Seattle as she tries to uncover his secretive past. A taut story with plentiful twists and turns, THE MARRIAGE LIE is a wild ride.

Thanks to MIRA Books for an early copy of the novel.
Jilly
The problem with a book that are about a super happy couple who have a great marriage and then one finds out that everything was a lie is that it is a little on the depressing side.
Jilly's not a fan of depressing.
Jilly likes funny, sarcastic, romantic, ass-kicking, paranormal, bloody, and twisty, but not really depressing.
So, why did Jilly read this? Because she is obviously losing her mind, which should be clear by the way she is referring to herself in the third person.

Jilly's not a fan of depressing.

Julie (JuJu)
An amazing psychological thriller that was full of surprises!

My second book by Belle and another hit! I didn’t enjoy it as much as “Dear Wife”, but I have “Dear Wife” so high up on a pedestal, it’s hard to match!

The blurb on this one sounded interesting, but I put off reading it...thinking it was a typical domestic thriller. Then I read “Dear Wife” and absolutely loved Belle’s writing, and an opportunity for a Buddy Read came up and I love those!

Iris is shatte
Katie B

The story was entertaining and held my interest and I would totally read another book by this author. However, this was by no means a perfect read. It really tested my patience as there were a few times I was left shaking my head and questioning if things happening were realistic or not. I think for sure this is a book you just have to approach the same way you would a cheesy, melodramatic tv movie, just sit back, relax, and don't take it too seriously.

Iris and W
Tulay
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Psychological thriller.

Really enjoyed this book, in some parts became long and boring. Every character in this story has problems but you couldn't help yourself to like them. Romantic thrillers not my kind of books, this one was suggested to me, glad I read it. Answered all the questions at the end, surprising ending was shocking. Yes I would have done the same thing, but before...
leslie hamod
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will and Iris did have the perfect marriage. Successful careers, a suburban Atlanta home. They are thinking of trying for that baby they have discussed.
They have good friends and family, outings and date nights. They have secrets.
Will has a conference in Seattle. Of course Iris hates to see him go! But she can get work done while he is away. He takes many of these trips. It's part of his job you see.Just a minor cornichon in an otherwise wonderful life.
A ringing doorbell. An ho
Wendy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unputdownable! A page turning psychological suspense by a new to me author.
Mandy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omg that ending!!!! Ugh I wanted that to be a little different that’s why this is only a 4 but I couldn’t put this book down.

Iris and her husband Will are happily married until one day Will flies out on a job assignment and his plane goes down. Iris is heartbroken and beside herself. But then weird things begin to happen. Things that don’t add up and she finds herself searching for who her husband really was. Was her marriage an entire lie? Who was the man she married?

Wit
Carolyn
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book from its many high ratings. It started with an intriguing concept and the suspense was good at the beginning. Then the plot became overwrought and ridiculous. The wife kept reminding us that she was a psychologist but failed to show much constructive thinking and was overly dependent on others. She came across as immature. I struggled with the book until the end, but angry at myself for doing so. Too much repetition and cliches,and for me the story became too unbel ...more
❧ Cristina ☙
*Spoiler Free*

You can check this review with more details on my blog (x)

I’m currently accepting books to review: more info here (x)

My rating: 2.5 out of 5

I’m sad that this book didn’t live up to my expectations. I was really excited with the synopsis since December when I knew this was coming out soon and when I finally got it in the mail in January I made it a priority.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

The book starts in a very romantic way and if you know me I like to read
Alexis Nascimento
I had REALLY high hopes for this book, given the 5 star reviews found everywhere on GoodReads. While it was good, I wouldn't call it outstanding. The main character is annoying, and quite dumb at times. The story felt underwhelming until the very end, which was a nice twist, but not enough to save the book. I'd pass.
Mo
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

A page turner to be sure but the ending left me feeling a bit deflated and frustrated. I needed more.

"What's in Seattle? Besides rain and Starbucks and too much plaid, I mean."

The following quote on Amazon/Goodreads is a bit misleading ... I'm sorry, it wasn't that shocking or twisted.

"Shockingly twisty, destined to become 2017’s most talked about psychological thriller!"

I know I am maybe nit-picking but the blurb and rave reviews led me to believe that this would be absolutely riveting. And for the
Girl's Guide Chic...: The Marriage Lie - Feb/March Book 2 13 Mar 14, 2018 07:36AM

• The Wife Between Us
  • My Lovely Wife
  • An Unwanted Guest
  • Never Let You Go
  • The Perfect Mother
Kimberly Belle is the USA Today and internationally bestselling author of five novels, including the forthcoming domestic suspense, Dear Wife (June 2019). Her third novel, The Marriage Lie, was a semifinalist in the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Mystery & Thriller, and her work has been translated into a dozen languages. A graduate of Agnes Scott College, Belle divides her time between ...more
“Dread begins to burrow under my skin like a parasite, slow and steady, eating away at my certainty.” 2 likes
“There’s a sucker born every minute out of heartache.” 1 likes