Start by marking “Martin Hospitality (Martin Generations, #1)” as Want to Read:
Martin Hospitality (Martin Generations, #1)

Martin Hospitality

(Martin Generations #1)

Readers' Favorite 2017 Christian Fiction Honorable Mention

Gemma Ebworthy is eighteen, pregnant, and alone. Now that she's been evicted, she finds herself sleeping in a barn, never dreaming that tomorrow could bring kindness of a life-changing magnitude.

The Martins aren't a typical family—even for rural Kansas. With more kids than can be counted on one hand and a full-
Published February 4th 2017 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Martin Hospitality, please sign up.
Abigayle Claire I would recommend it for girls 12+ and boys 15+ While it's 100% clean (no swearing or intimacy), the main character has a rough background and is preg…moreI would recommend it for girls 12+ and boys 15+ While it's 100% clean (no swearing or intimacy), the main character has a rough background and is pregnant out of wedlock. There is some discussion of her past (involving minor criminal activity), and some tense scenes with medical emergencies. Content aside, I doubt the entire novel would interest a child under 10. I hope that helps :)(less)

Start your review of Martin Hospitality (Martin Generations, #1)
Faith
Okay. I can die happy now. (Review to come when published XD)

**Review**

Gemma is such an endearing character. Pregnant, alone, and scared, but she's honest about her past wrongs and very respectful to the Martins. She's realistic and relatable and, ahhhh! Just all the way around an amazing main character that you can't help but love. :D

And then we have Josiah... Who's practically perfect. XD Okay, I'm kidding. He's not perfect; he has faults. But, eeps, I think he was probably my favorite chara
Kate Willis
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

I was slightly nervous to read this book because of the main theme, but I shouldn’t have worried--the author did a superb job of handling all the hard issues! The Martin family was so special. They never did anything super extraordinary, just served Jesus in their everyday life. All the real life moments were pretty fun (I highlighted a ton of quotable dialo
Sarah Grace Grzy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for adult content
OM goodness! I LOVED this!!! After waiting months and months to read this, and listening to all my friends fangirl about it, I finally read it! It fully met, and probably exceeded my expectations! I read every chance I would get and stayed up wayyyyyyyy too late 2 nights in a row to finish this. I did not want to ever put it down!

Let's start with my dislikes and get them over with. I know it is a series, but I felt like some things should have been wrapped up better. Such as the storyline with
Libby May
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG This is another 5 star for a new author! I should seriously stop reading classics and just stick to girls that I know. This was a precious book. Folks, if you haven't read it, you totally should! Read the other reviews to find out about the awesome characters and story and all everything amazing else!
Melani Crone
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister bought Martin Hospitality with a bulk of other books, and I planned to get to them eventually. When I read a negative review on Goodreads for MH, my interest was piqued and I decided to give it a try to see if the review was relevant.

This was a story of a girl who has burned every bridge and is at the end of her luck. She's running from her past. Then she suddenly has a family that wants to show her what it's like to live with a Savior.

I was reminded of a Bible verse about how we will
Victoria Lynn
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of beta reading this book and it was very well done! The enjoyable story of a young girl who finds a savior in Jesus Christ. This book kept me intrigued with it's plot twists and detailed writing! A great read for the Christian Fiction fans!
. . . The review. . .
Ok. This book. I was blown away! There are so many things to like about this book and I am hugely impressed that it was a first effort by the author.

I had the privelege of Beta Reading this book for Abigayle. I read it
anika
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*major fangirling* YES JUST YES. I LOVE THIS BOOK SSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *dies*

Martin Hospitality is such an amazing book!!! I advise you all to read it at once or suffer my wrath. *brandishes sword* GO BUY IT NOW. IT CAME OUT IN FEBRUARY. YOU SHOULD ALL HAVE IT IN YOUR HANDS RIGHT NOW. IF YOU DON’T GO ORDER IT.

All the characters are so real (if only they were real...), the settings made me feel like I was actually in Kansas with the c
Joey T
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww, fam-owns-it
Okay tbh when I first started this book, I wasn’t too excited and didn’t think I would like it very much but.... haha
I couldn’t put it down! (I lit read it in one day)
Plz, add this to you tbr and get it it was so amazing!
Hann Remraf
AAAAAHHHHH. *fangirling*

Update: January 23, 2017
I will write a review as soon as I'm allowed!!

Update: February 2, 2017
How do I even start with this review?
Well, I suppose a simple list is best and easiest sometimes ;)
SO, without further adieu,

My Likes:
UM BASICALLY everything! I seriously love this book so much. (it may actually be a problem :-/) But I'll try to articulate my thoughts enough to write a solid review.
1. The Characters:
JOSIAH *flails* *clears throat* ahem. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway,
Hanne T
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So the first thing to note here is that I started this book at 12 in the morning, and FINISHED it at 3:47, which should tell you something. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTIN HOSPITALITY!!!!

This story was so so beautiful! I loved each of the characters (and I love the Martin's oh my word). I loved Gemma's sarcasm and sassiness, and I loved Josiah and I loved the themes and I loved how they were homeschooled and all that. The characters really made the story, and THERE WERE SO MANY OF THEM! I only got
Aria
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first thought after reading this? I WANT A SEQUEL. Oh my goodness, this book. Where do I start?
Abigayle did an AMAZING job writing this. I was immediately sucked into the story. The characters were SO. REAL. The story was SO. REAL. The whole thing was real, almost raw. And the plot twists! I seriously could not have guessed where this thing was going, but it wasn't confusing at all. And JOSIAH! Please, can I have him? I love that guy.

All in all, this is DEFINITELY a five-star for me, and goo
Lilian
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, readtobuy
So Martin Hospitality is a book about a girl who’s pregnant out of wedlock. It also talks a bit about abortion. First of all, this can be a touchy subject. At least, it’s definitely a difficult subject to write a book on without offending people. However, Abigayle did an excellent job on this. I love how she touches upon it humbly and gently. She states her beliefs clearly (not in your face clearly, but if you think about it you won’t be confused or anything) but not in a pushy way. I think that ...more
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews.

Beautiful, very well-done and tactful story only lacks pacing.

This was overall a fairly good story that was probably the best and cleanest depiction of a difficult situation (teen pregnancy & unwed mother) that I’ve ever read. However, I personally found it a little blah. The plot went on and on, especially in the middle, and I didn’t find it too interesting or suspenseful. Then the ending came in a rush, with romance that appeared to come out of nowhere.

Con
Rachel :)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is something so wonderful about this book. I can't even put my finger on it- it's just so pleasing and peaceful. I loved it!
Jesseca Wheaton
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I don't normally read contemporary fiction. Just because I prefer to spend my reading time travelling to other eras. However, when I heard Abi needed beta-readers for her contemporary christian novel, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Of course, that fact that the story takes place in my state, and my city helped a lot. That . . . NEVER happens. ;)

I'm so glad I did! I really enjoyed the story! Especially Josiah. *nods* He was like, my favorite part of the entire thing. I also re
Angela Watts
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I'm rounding up for the fact I do look forward to the second installment!

STORY

Martin Hospitality deals with hard topics: the main character is eighteen and pregnant. She chooses life for her baby and the novel follows her growth as a person and as a mother. The story is handled tastefully! Hope is shown throughout the difficulties. In a society where this topic is either condemned without mercy or shied away from, this novel was a refreshing taste of how reality is. People make mistak
Hailey Rose
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got to alpha read this...

*clamps hand over mouth to keep from blurting out everything that was so awesome about it*

Review to come nearer to publication. :)

~~~

JUST READ FOR THE SECOND TIME...
*swoons*

Miss Abigayle’s writing style has an old-fashioned feel to it that absolutely sucks you into the story while giving you the warm fuzzies. I loved how well-rounded the characters were (EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!) and how I could relate to each one in different dimensions. Even the “villain” charact
Lisa Elis
To put it simply, I just love this book. I heard so much about it that I decided to get it, and I am SO happy I did.

The things I like:

- Let's just start with the main character, Gemma. I am so fond of her. I call her Gem, just because. Yes, she has a rough background and has made her share of bad mistakes, but she's still determined, caring, and kind. And she likes to say "y'all"! I found that fun. :) She feels older and more responsible than other YA main characters, probably because she's bee
ashley nicole
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Martin Hospitality is a great book with a unique story line. I haven't read very many books from the perspective of a single, pregnant girl. I loved how all the characters developed through the story. Abi does a great job with all the characters, making me sympathetic to almost everyone in his own unique way. She does an amazing job handling Christianity and the subject of pregnancy before marriage; and I really appreciated that. The romance was also really great. It was mushy at all and that wa ...more
Rebekah
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-by-friends
So...I may have forgotten that I promised a full review upon publication...and this wonderful book has been published for a year now???!!!? *coughs awkwardly*
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY "MARTIN HOSPITALITY"! Second, apologies for taking so long to get this review done. *shakes head* I'm hopeless, guys. Utterly hopeless. But my review is HERE NOW. You're welcome. B-)

Here is where I put aside a section for gushing about the book. BECAUSE I REALLY LOVED IT!!! I was given the delightful job (though it co
Gabriellyn
Wow. I was not expecting this.

I decided to read this book due to the raving reviews I had read from many of my friends-not to mention the story looked interesting. But, to be honest, I was not expecting something this good.

Did Martin Hospitality have flaws? Yes! Of COURSE IT DID! There were several times where I got a bit confused with how Ms. Claire wrote something, there were most certainly times when I didn't always agree with her characters perspectives or beliefs 100%, but it didn't matte
m a r y l i z
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
MY FRIEND PUBLISHED A BOOK AND I AM SO EXCITED.

Seriously, I will be shoving this book in people's faces because dang, Abi, your writing skills. <333

I didn't love it as much as I thought I would? Which was a little disappointing. But in the end, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. ;)

SO. Let's get a proper review down, shall we?

Likes:

- The Martinsssss. They were seriously the best! I just loved every scene that involved them.

- Josiah. Just...Josiah, folks. <3 HE WAS SO AMAZING. I savored ever
Eva
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Most people love it and one of my friends hates it, but I feel mostly meh about it.
Karyssa
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, where to start? I loved this book so much, thus, the reason it only took me roughly 36 hours to read it. :P

This book was very well written, I didn't find it cliche at all. The plot twists definitely surprised me, which is kinda hard to do because I can usually tell what's coming. There were quite a few times when I thought, "Are you sure this is the first book she's ever published?"

At first, because there are so many Martins, I wondered if that was going to be to many characters.
Olivia
{3.5 stars}

After devouring historical fiction books lately, it was nice to take a break and read a contemporary. Still love historical so much, but this book is set apart from others I've read in this genre. There's much more hope presented in the Christian characters, and the love presented by the Martins was convicting to me.

I absolutely loved the Martin's big family, because I know exactly what it's like living in a big household. So many of the little things with the kids and interactions we
Brooklyne
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I'm just getting around to reviewing this book, but let me say... it was amazing!

This was my first indie published book I had read that was over 300 pages. When I got the book, I was actually surprised (and quite literally squealed when I got the package in the mail) to see how thick the book was! And the cover! *more squealing* Like, I had to take a moment to "pet" it! (I know, I'm one of those crazy bookworms!)

Anyway, moving right along with this review... I thought the story inside w
Blessing Counter
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!!

Review coming once it's published ;)
Els
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
AGH I HAD OTHER THINGS TO DO WITH MY DAY and instead I went and read two books I was supposed to read in May from cover to cover. I fail at life.

RTC!
Allison
reread may 2019

still love this sweet, heartwarming book. cannot wait for Martin Crossroads !

/ 4 stars

i've been wanting to read this book for awhile, and then suddenly discovered it's on kindle unlimited! so yes, i read it in the space of one day. ;)

/ what i loved
- um, basically everything? it's such a sweet, cute, heartwarming book. i finished it with a smile and now i really need the sequel. like now. it's like a contemporary retelling of The Waltons , which is one of my favorite shows.
zane deann
4.5 stars.

This is a book about second chances. It’s about forgiveness, and love, and family, and hope. I finally got the opportunity to read this lovely book as a kindle freebie and I'm so glad I did.

The characters were amazing. I loved the Martin kids - although their homeschool experience is different than mine, they still felt realistic, without the stereotypes that so often come with homeschooled characters. They all had different personalities, which I appreciated. I also liked the characte
« previous 1 3 next »

• Live Without You
  • Never Say Goodbye
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Freedom (Liberty's Battlegrounds, #1)
  • Beloved
  • Window Fellow
  • Kate's Innocence (Kate's Case Files #1)
  • The Girl Who Could See
  • There Was Always Laughter In Our House
  • Overcomer
  • A Royal Masquerade  (The Tales of Ambia #2)
  • Befriending the Beast (Tales of Faith, #1)
  • The Secret Slipper (Tales of Faith #2)
  • Protecting the Poor (Tales of Faith, #3)
  • Dandelion Dust
  • A Different Kind of Courage
  • River of Peril (Goldtown Adventures #4)
  • The Case of the Tabloid Tattler (The Kitten Files, #1)
Abigayle has been a writer ever since her mother taught her how to hold a pencil. However, she devoted more time to reading words with her green eyes than penning them with her left hand. Inspired by a crazy dream at the age of sixteen, she set off on a journey to self-publish her first novel, Martin Hospitality.

Since then, Abigayle has devoted herself to sharing what she has learned through the

Martin Generations (2 books)
  • Martin Legacy (Martin Generations, #2)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...