Start by marking “The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues” as Want to Read:
The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues

The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues

(The Supremes #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  605 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews

A novel of friendship, family and forgiveness, from the author of the bestselling The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat, perfect for fans of The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul.

When a late life love affair blooms between Mr. Forrest Payne, the owner of the Pink Slipper Gentleman's Club, and Miss Beatrice Jordan, famous for yelling warnings of eternal damnation at the Club's

Published June 20th 2017 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues, please sign up.
Michelle Yes. The author does some brief explaining of certain items from the first book, but it would be much better to read the first book. It's really fun!

Paromjit
This is an absolute joy of a book to read, set in the close knit community of Plainview, Indiana, where everyone knows everyone and there is plenty of gossip. A trio of black grandmothers in their sixties, who have known each other a long time, are the Supremes. They have seen each other through the ups and downs that life has thrown at them, always there for each other when needed. It begins with the wedding of the unlikely couple of Miss Beatrice, the hell, fire and damnation mother of Clarice ...more
Barbara
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

This sequel to The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat revisits three women - Odette, Clarice, and Barbara Jean - who grew up as best friends in Plainview, Indiana. Affectionately called 'The Supremes', the trio of African-American women, now in their sixties, have supported each through life's ups and downs for decades.

I strongly suggest that interested readers start with the first book.

*****

Odette and her husband James are happily married empty nesters, whose children and grandchildren live i
Cindy Burnett
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues is a delightful read from start to finish. The characters are likeable and clever, the dialogue is outstanding and authentic, and the plot is highly entertaining. Clarice, Barbara Jean and Odette have been friends since childhood and are known in their town of Plainview, Indiana as The Supremes. Each woman is struggling with her own issues and trying to come to terms with events from her past that are coming to a head in the present. As the story unfol ...more
Kathleen
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fiction
I enjoyed listening to the unabridged audio of THE SUPREMES SING THE HAPPY HEARTACHE BLUES authored by Edward Kelsey Moore and read by Adenrele Ojo. It is a novel of family, passions, and forgiveness sprinkled with humour and grit.
Mr. El Walker, a great guitar blues man comes to Plainview, Indiana to perform at the wedding ceremony of Mr. Forrest Payne, owner of The Pink Slipper Gentlemen's Club, and Miss Beatrice Jordan. He has regrets and secrets and hopes to quietly and quickly leave town.
B
Kalen
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I liked the first one better but it was such a treat to spend time with the Supremes again.
Jill Meyer
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An old black man, partially crippled by diabetic attacks as well as a history of drug and alcohol abuse, arrives in his old hometown, Plainview, Indiana, carrying a suitcase and a spotted guitar, named "Ruthie". He is returning to Plainview to sing the blues at his old friend's fourth wedding. He is arriving in town as "El Walker", but that's not the name he left as fifty or so years before. His name then was Marcus Henry and he was the father of James Henry.

El Walker is the central figure in Ed
Andre
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
⭐⭐.5 This book didn't resonate with me and I never really got fully committed. The Supremes seem to be a fun bunch of friends and in this second novel there is a lot, perhaps too much going on to build an engaging story around. The ghost thing doesn't work well, as a character device. The storylines seemed forced and don't flow in a manner that makes you want to keep reading. The prose is ordinary and some of the plot points are plain silly. The main story is the return of El to Plainview, IN. A ...more
Bookread2day
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
An exuberant and poignant novel of passions, family and forgiveness, from the author of the best selling The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat. Edwards literary work often reflects both his life as a musician and his upbringing as the backsliding son of a Baptist preacher. Published by Hodder & Stoughton in hardback on the 22nd June 2017. I only read paperbacks or hardbacks, but readers will be pleased to know that this title is available in ebook. I would like to thank the publisher for se ...more
autumn
this book is AMAZING. it belongs to the subgenre of (i'm sure there's a real name for it) social-drama-set-in-a-small-town-with-a-large-interconnected-cast a la the casual vacancy, which is a (pseudo-)genre i absolutely love! the characters were really nuanced and complex, and so real i really did feel like they were about to jump off the page. this book is so teeming with life and passion it practically has a beating heart. i'll definitely be reading anything and everything else edward kelsey m ...more
Sera
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is the second in the series. Moore takes "the Supremes" and digs more deeply into their characters and those who surround them. The relationship between fathers and sons is one of the prominent themes in the book. It's not something that I see tackled very often in the books that I read, and I thought that Moore did a nice job addressing the complexity in what it means to forgive the actions of another and whether such forgiveness must be given in the first place.

Moore is a compelling
Ellen
Odette, Clarice and Barbara Jean ("the Supremes") have been friends since they were in grade school and now, in their 60's, they are still inseparable. They still occupy the corner window table every Sunday after church at Earl's-All-You-Can-Eat restaurant where they and their husbands visit with friends and neighbors. Their current focus is on El Walker, a well-known blues man who has returned to Plainview, Indiana, to sing at the wedding of an old friend. Although El tries to leave town before ...more
Sue
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The first book about the Supremes and their friendship, families and life story was quite interesting.. this one seemed to be more detailed making it not as interesting.. for me.... I remembered a little bit about the first book although I don't think it is necessary to have read The Supremes at Earls All You Can Eat...in order to enjoy this one... The characters.. and I do mean characters.. are such real people that finding out more details of their lives is worth reading about - it just takes ...more
Taneka
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to catch up to the Supremes but dismayed that the story is not really about the ladies. Barbara Jean was my favorite in the last book, but she didn't have much of a story. We learned a bit about her mother, but that was all. This story was mostly about James, Odette's husband, and him dealing with his past, which by the end of the story, I thought was incomplete. We didn't find out whether that was he and his wife in that Paris nightclub or not.

Still an interesting read.
Susan
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't care aboutbook order, but in this case, do NOT read this one without first reading The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat. The first book lays so much groundwork that will help you understand the second.

This second book is pure joy. Amid pathos, wonder, family, belly laughs, music (the blues), a few friendly ghosts, a pivotal transgender issue that has nothing to do with bathrooms, and Beethoven, you have something for everyone.
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Linda by: Melissa's update
Boy, I've missed Odette, Clarice, and Barbara Jean. I was so intolerable with this book that I would read it out loud to whomever was around me while I was reading (the diner, the Doctor's office, at work.)
This volume revolves around James, Odette's husband and his father who James suffered at the hands of when the boy was four.
Cousin Veronica sees her come uppance. Clarice's and Richmond's concepts of marriage are explored. Not so much time spent at Earl's, but he's not forgotten.
Grab a lemona
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Supremes, Clarice, Barbara Jean and Odette, who featured in Mr. Moore's first book are now in their sixties. Each are having issues with family and situations but as usual with these lifelong friends, they are always there for each other.

A wedding has brought a famous Blues musician, El Walker, into town and James, Odette's husband discovers that he is his long lost father. El has lived a very hard life and knows that he can't right the wrongs, but is brave enough to face his old hometown.

I
Almira
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again "the Supremes" are supporting and loving each other as only strong women can do.

Love is in the air, along with a wedding, unusual as it is with those tying the knot - Mr. Forrest Payne, owner of the Pink Slipper Gentlemen's Club, and Miss Beatrice Jordan, who is usually outside the club "yelling warnings of eternal damnation" to those who have just visited the club. With the surprise appearance of Mr. El Walker, the great blues guitar-man, giving a "command" performance at the wedding
Jeanette
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-readers
I was pleased to have won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Although I hadn't read the first book, it didn't matter. This was a very enjoyable book and something different from my norm. Loved the design of the cover! Whilst I rarely write what a story is about for fear of spoiling for others, I do recommend.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed returning to these characters. I felt like this book's storylines were a bit more sober than the first book.

The reader does learn more about the past of the characters and they get to deal with the outcomes during this book.

Enjoyable!!
Debra
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was crazy about his first book and got to meet the author at a book signing. And he hasn't let me down with the sequel. There is nothing better than spending time with The Supremes of Plainview, IN!! This is a continuation of the story of 3 women who grew up together and have gone through everything life can throw at you over 40 years. I already can't wait for a third book!
LaDonna
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great follow up to the first book. Characters remain real and relatable.
Cfkotula
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama, comedy
This sequel to "The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat" novel continues to entertain! The characters are engaging and humorous. Odette still visits with the ghost of her feisty Mama, while her husband's life is turned upside down when her deadbeat, bluesman father-in-law shows up one day and reenters their life. Chuckles and heartache mingle for a satisfying read!
J'aime Nowell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once I stopped trying to remember what happened in the first book, I really enjoyed this book. Such likeable and interesting characters.
Orsayor
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Good story but...

(Review coming soon)
Anna Amato
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love it already- I finished it in one day - the plot was complex and compelling and fun and touching and you should read it
Andy Lillich
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

Four-and-a-half stars, really. I just love Edward Kelsey Moore's novels about the Supremes, three high school friends who continue to nurture, support and appreciate one another throughout their lives. Perhaps because I am an Indiana native of approximately the same age as these characters (although I grew up in northern Indiana, not southern, and am white, not African-American), I slip into these stories so easily and comfortably that they are pure joy for me to read. The problems they face jus
Ellen
I didn't enjoy this sequel as much as the original. The characters were as vivid and there were some uproariously funny scenes. There was too much reliance on having read the first book, and as a result, there were numerous distracting recaps.
Liz
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my definition of a 'comfort' book. It is the type of story you read with a smile on your face and warmth in your soul. The characters quickly felt like old friends to me. There is humor, heartbreak, joy and pain but it all seems like it is real and heartfelt. A really pleasant read! I will definitely have to go back and read the earlier book in this series.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Dawn
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
When a friend first told me that there was a "sequel" to the fantastic book about the Supremes and Earl's all you can eat I couldn't wait to get to it.

I should have waited. Forever.

I started making retirement plans while listening to this thing and I'm 46. That is how long and boring this was. I don't like to not finish a book plus I used an Audible credit and I so hate to give low star reviews but if I can save someone from the aging process of this snoozer ... you're welcome.

Same characters, s
Christine
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book just as much as the first one. The characters are alive and jump off the page to make you want to know what happens next. Wonderful story of love, loss and redemption
Edward Kelsey Moore is a professional cellist and author from Chicago. During his high school years, and onward into college, Edward Kelsey Moore experimented with writing short stories. As he finished his education he set writing aside and focused on building a career in music. Many years later, as a member of a string quartet, Edward was hired to perform at a reception for the winners of a local ...more

The Supremes (2 books)