Start by marking “Von Beruf Schriftsteller” as Want to Read:
Von Beruf Schriftsteller

Von Beruf Schriftsteller

Haruki Murakami verkörpert den Typus des zurückgezogenen Schriftstellers wie wenige andere. Der japanische Bestsellerautor gilt als ausgesprochen scheu und betont immer wieder, wie ungern er über sich selbst spricht. Doch nun bricht Murakami das Schweigen.
Bescheiden und zugleich großzügig lässt er uns an seiner reichen Erfahrung als Schriftsteller teilhaben. Darüber hinaus
Published October 18th 2016 by DuMont Buchverlag GmbH & Co. KG (first published September 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Von Beruf Schriftsteller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Von Beruf Schriftsteller

Start your review of Von Beruf Schriftsteller
Yukari Peerless
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was unexpectedly personal stories written by Murakami himself on writing. It was inspiring and encouraging. I have a feeling I will re-read this many times.
Daniela (Daniela Nina Reads)
This is a collection of essays about literature, writing, the writing community and the creative process. Murakami shares his thoughts on writing novels, his writing journey, daily routine and interaction with the world of other authors and readers. The essays were very interesting for me because Murakami is one of my favorite authors and they might be interesting for people who are not familiar with his books but want to read something about writing, although the book definitely isn't a how-to ...more
Mizuki
In this book, novelist Haruki Murakami shared his experiences and advice about what being a novelist for 40 years and making a living out of writing is like. The experiences he shared are mostly light-heartened and down-to-earth, but it isn't a 'How To' book, it doesn't teach you how to become a novelist, and some parts of the book are a bit dry to read. Still, I truly enjoy Mr. Murakami reveals the tales of him as a newbie novelist (when he was around 30 years old), the many funny/annoying thin ...more
Yasza
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
Lisa
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Very insightful view into what it means to be a writer throughout the years. Murakami gives insight into how he wrote his first novel, the criticism he got, his personal writing schedule and his journey out of Japan to his works being well-known all over the world. He appears to be very knowledgeable and I value his honesty and independence in doing what he feels is right, not because it is expected of him. What a great writer!
Aidaalkhufash
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Never disappoints. What is it that causes me to feel certain way when reading his works? The feelings and the, let's call it 'atmosphere', never changes. I feel strangely calm, passive and active at the same time, centered, enthusiastic and ready to write, read, stroll, go to a cafe or library...And all these feelings are subtle and gentle, but strong at one and the same time, as if I am lying on the bottom of a deep ocean and feel the weight of the water above. It's not crushing me, but rather ...more
jade
essays by murakami on the nature of writing.

contains everything from the process itself (thinking of ideas, putting them to paper, editing, where to get inspiration, the whole shebang) to the nuances of translations, the business world of publishing, the company and community of other writers, and how story awards aren't always what they seem.

it's personal, it's a glimpse into the soul of the man who produces so much interesting, often surrealist literature, and that in and of itself already mak
Eli K.P. William
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murakami describes in detail his philosophy and practical approach to making a lifelong career out of crafting novels. It includes several fantastic essays sure to become classics of creative writing education. Others rehashed autobiographical details from previous collections such as What I Talk About When I Talk About Running and were therefore less compelling.

Fiction writers who admire Murakami's work should look forward to the English translation. In the decades to come, I foresee this bein
Sebastian
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second book of Haruki Murakami after his essays about running. Really interesting man. I have to read a novel of him. What strikes me most is, that a man, raised in a totally different cultural context and additionally a man from a previous generation can have similar thoughts. Very personal book and I can agree very much with him on different aspects of live. Not so much about being an author apparently...
Rita Sophie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well... I love anything he writes. That much I can say. I'm still not able to incorporate running in my routine - though I did it in the past... And I have a job that pays my rents that I cannot give up to write. Oh, my being subjective again...
I've read in the past about his habits and his discipline and his running and... And now, all I can do is wait impatiently for his last novel to be translated. :)
Nice reading for Murakami's fans.
Fernando
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book started very well, with Murakami giving his opinion about writers/books and he relates such ideas with topics of the reader's interest, but suddenly he starts to write in his own way like a consciousness flow without giving importance to the chapter's topic. This flaw is carried through the rest of the chapters until the end.
The first Murakami's book I disliked.
Jeroen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
Murakami is one of my most favourite persons in this world. Lovely how he stubbornly clings to the things he likes to do with his life while pretty much fully ignoring the greatest virtues of the society in which he, and most of us, live(s) (i.e. being hard working and ambitious in a corporate context) and being utterly unapologetic about it.
Lays Antunes Girão
Within the non-fiction field, this book is extremely useful for people who work in creative professions and are looking for refferences on methodology and cultural market.
Zia
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Mainly humblebrag and words to fill the space but there is some interesting advice as well. 2.5*
Tobias Carvalho
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the first words kick things off, Murakami's unmistakable voice takes me over. It hits me. It's actually impressive that he can achieve so much with a non-fiction book.

Since I'm interested in writing about writing, I got a lot out of this book. Also, I have read now around 8 Murakami novels, so I guess that made it more interesting. I wouldn't recommend this one to people who are new to him. This book is not like Stephen King's On Writing, for example. It's nothing similar to a manual. Few are
SallWho
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So great to finally get a more personal inside in Murakami's work and thoughts. I really enjoyed reading this book and I honestly think that it helped me and motivated me to write again. Therefor : Arigato Murakami-senpai!

"Oder aber mach deine Arbeit so gut, wie es deine Fähigkeiten, deine Begabung erlauben, und dann rechtfertige dich nicht und entschuldige dich nicht. Beklage dich nicht, erkläre nichts." (S. 122)
Guilherme Cuer
Murakami offers a quick look into his life as a writer. From the very start to this date and the plans for the future. Throughout the book, we can know more about his motivations, his rituals, his relationship with his readers and more. This is a book for Murakami fans who wish to have a glimpse of what it means to be Murakami.
Bojana Zdravkovic
I love Murakami's voice - honest and without embelishments, but still able to draw you in. I read this book in 2 days (in my native language though - the Serbian translation by the very skilled Divna Glumac, I'm impressed), I just couldn't put it down. And I haven't come across a book like this in a long time.
Emelie Eriksson
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars.

After reading this book, it feels like I know Murakami on a personal level - and we have so much in common!

I've only read four books by him so far (this one included) and am now more eager than ever to read the rest of his works.
Balkan Şencan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest reflections of a craft worker; I appreciate it.
Sopherryy
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murakami shares his thoughts on writing, from the perspective of a novelist. It is a collection of essays which was written across the years.
Roberto Yanguas
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Interesting Murakami book that, as per today (Jan 2020), hasn't been translated to English. Conversational and intimate, it compiles a series of thoughts around writing and other elements surrounding that topic (e.g. education).
Trevor Kew
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kew-nf, kewjapan
My wife gave me this book a few years ago, quite the leap of faith on her part when it came to my level of Japanese at that time! My first few attempts to read it always stalled, mostly due to the intense demands of vocabulary (and concentration) but when I picked it up in earnest earlier this year, I found that my reading had sped up and that I was able to understand the point more and more without resorting so frequently to a dictionary. Anyway, I finished it and that, at 350 pages, is no mean ...more
Christian
The first 4 (?) chapters have already been printed somewhere else. It's kind of a betrayal, mentioning this in the epilogue, not in the foreword. For people who are familiar with Murakami and who have read his book about running there is not that much new in those chapters. Also his chapter about prizes is kind of obsolet. The chapter about school and japense society is also kind of... trivial. I never met any person (or auhtor?) who spoke in favor of the (Japanese) education system. He also fin ...more
Linda
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is not for the reader who wants to get tips about how to become an author. It is rather a collection of essays that tangents on the topic of writing and being an author. I found the first couple of chapters pretty boring (with the exception of the story of how he wrote his first novel), but the second half of the book was more interesting. At times the book is a bit repetitive. He returns many times to the fact that the Japanese cultural establishment did not accept him. Sometimes Murak ...more
Fellipe Moscardini
The best aspect of this book is its undeniable honesty. Readers won't find any magical tips for aspiring writers other than the obvious facts (You have to read a lot and then, after you've read a lot, you got to write a lot). Instead, what Murakami does is give a personal account on what it truly means to be a writer. He discusses several topics from character creation to the international publishing market. There are many anecdotes and interesting stories here and it really helps the reader und ...more
Julia Modde
First of all: it is an inspiring book. After you read the autobiography, you’ll get in the mood for a writing session at your desk!
But - and Murakami mentions this himself - it is an autobiography and no instruction list. You will read about his subjective view on being a writer.
Why I only gave 3 ⭐️? I found it too ponderous. Like listening to elderly people telling you about their lifes. Of course it is interesting, but it is also a bit slow, redundant und cautionary.
It’s an enjoyable book, bu
Andrea
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Professional writer, as its translated into my language, is an amazing collection of essays on Murakami's life and writing. He uses this opportunity to "answer" some of the question, I am assuming, writers regularly get asked. For anybody who loves Murakami, this is a wonderful book. I have enjoyed this tremendously. The topics and the writing seemed truly natural and it felt like I was sitting and having a conversation about him and his work. It's nice to see somebody enjoy what they do, and be ...more
Chenchenga07
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started writing novel when he’s 29, broke into US market when he’s 40, still working. Can’t believe he is almost 70 years old, his books always have something new.

It’s not an easy thing to live in the way you really want, especially in an Asia society. He did it. If you chose A then don’t bother thinking about the benefits you can get from B.
Alvaro
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest description on his life and life as a writer. Very few technical insights on writing, more a book about the feelings and circumstances through which he became a writer. Reads like a sort of diary.

• 刺殺騎士團長 第一部 意念顯現篇 (Traditional Chinese Edition)
  • Beni Kör Kuyularda
  • Tema Libre
  • Normal Nefes Almaya Devam Edin
  • 7
  • Z - Bir Kuşağı Anlamak
  • Anxiety Free: Unravel Your Fears Before They Unravel You
  • Mutlu Olma Sanatı
  • Noche en la playa encendida
  • 여행의 이유
  • Bütün Çocuklar İyidir
  • Estás muy callada hoy
  • The Afternoon of a Writer
  • Bilinmeyen Sular
  • Het ei van oom Trotter
  • Veinte poemas para ser leídos en el tranvía / Calcomanías
  • Pasaje al acto
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am