Start by marking “Clinical Versus Statistical Prediction: A Theoretical Analysis And A Review Of The Evidence (The Master Work Series)” as Want to Read:

This volume explores clinical issues, such as: can we rely on clinical expertise in making decisions about people's lives; when should statistical data be used; and what kind of treatment is best for a particular patient?
Published May 1st 1996 by Jason Aronson (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Clinical Versus Statistical Prediction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clinical Versus Statistical Prediction

Start your review of Clinical Versus Statistical Prediction: A Theoretical Analysis And A Review Of The Evidence (The Master Work Series)
Steve
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Paul Meehl was a clinical psychologist who had a poster of Freud in his office. When he died on February 14, 2003, I cried. He kept his poster because he believed that human behavior was complex, and simplistic explanations could not possibly capture the complexity of human behavior. People are surprised to find that Meehl had such a poster, because he exemplifies "Dust Bowl Empiricism," particularly in this book. Meehl was careful to point out how predictions and diagnoses based simply on ...more
Arshad Pooloo
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped
I got the gist of it but in no mood to read something this detailed. It is a good book just not meant for me. At chapter 5 I realized that it was taking lots of effort to even pick up from where I stopped... clearly I was not enjoying it. Maybe i will attempt to read it later on when I find a use for it or I am in the mood. For the moment, I feel like I'd rather read a good fiction and lose myself into its world and that is exactly what I am going to do.
Aleksandr
I read chapters 1 to 5 only, and it is still worth it if you're interested in psychological assessment (not only clinical).
Chapter 6 seemed (unnecessary) over-complicated and too "philosophical" to me, but that might be due to my insufficient intellectual abilities.

Also check Meehl's 1989 lectures on Philosophical Psychology, which are available here or on YouTube.
Dan Slimmon
I can't rate this book. It was too far outside my wheelhouse and I couldn't make it through.
Mihai Zodian
Feb 21, 2020
Joanne Gallagher
rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2018
Phil James
Feb 19, 2018
John
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
At its time it would be considered revolutionary but nowadays his points are pretty obvious. Important work.
Roland Kofler

• Profiles in Leadership: Historians on the Elusive Quality of Greatness
  • Seeing What Others Don't: The Remarkable Ways We Gain Insights
  • Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World
  • Bullshit Jobs: A Theory
  • Distributed and Cloud Computing: From Parallel Processing to the Internet of Things
  • Algorithms Unlocked