Start by marking “A Life Transparent” as Want to Read:
A Life Transparent

A Life Transparent

(Monochrome Trilogy #1)

Who is Donovan Candle? He is the consummate husband. Stable, hard-working, and dedicated to his wife, Donovan is a paragon of the Middle Class.

Until now.

Strange visions of a monochromatic world. Bizarre sensations of physical transparency.

At first, Donovan fears he's losing his grip on reality, but as the week wears on and the odd afflictions intensify, he wonders if he is
Paperback, First Paperback Edition, 182 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Precipice Books

To ask other readers questions about A Life Transparent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Transparent

Bennett Gavrish
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade: B+

L/C Ratio: 40/60
(This means I estimate the author devoted 40% of his effort to creating a literary work of art and 60% of his effort to creating a commercial bestseller.)

Thematic Breakdown:
40% - Speculative fiction
40% - Sci-fi
10% - Brotherhood
10% – Marriage

Science fiction novels intimidate me because I worry my imagination may not be vibrant enough to keep up with their exotic ideas and visual inventions. Those worries were quelled in "A Life Transparent" for two reasons. First, the m
Bandit
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant surprise. An actually original story, albeit with an old sentiment behind it. Boredom, tedium, complacency are not just not good, they are also dangerous as made by Keisling. When all work and no play makes Donovan Candle a dull boy, he begins to flicker in and out of life and must find out what's going on and how to stop it. Turns out dullness is a sort of purgatory of its own named Monochrome with its own rules and nightmares. The writing was good, but the star of the show ...more
Kelly
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's not my usual type of book, but all in all, I loved it. It was nicely written and observed a point of view I had never thought about. I highly recommend this book.
Mercy Cobb
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There were two reasons I picked up this book 1- Because my husband knows Todd from high school and read the first release. He told me about it several times. So, when we got the rerelease, he said I should read it.
2- I wanted to support an author and expand my typical genre
Now for the reasons I read this book pretty much in one sitting. Todd did a masterful job at engaging interest, keeping the story going and creating suspense without getting too bogged down in details that I didn't even real
Anthony Rapino
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel quite a bit. The premise is completely original, and the plotting fast paced. I think what I liked best is the way the plot doesn't overpower theme. I felt there was a clear and concise message throughout the narrative, which lends an extra layer of meaning, and thereby depth, to the novel. Highly recommended.
Traci Sherlock
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Wow, what can I say? I have never really been a fan of the whole sci-fi thing. However, this book was selected for our book club. I am so glad I read it. It is a relatively short book, with a big message. It really made me stop and think about the way I live my life and my routines. To me, any book that can do this is a great book. I recommend this book to everyone.
Astrid
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Wow. This was a great read. A wake up call, if I may call it that way. I recommended it!
Zakk Madness
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We will shuffle you off your banal coil, Mr. Sparrow, and it will be glorious."

Donovan Candle is just like you and I, living a happy if somewhat mundane life. He is caught up in the trappings of a day-to-day grind, working a job that is not as meaningful as he'd like to save for things that are just out of reach. Missing out on the little joys that surround him in lieu of a bigger picture.

But when he begins to feel pulled from the tangibility of this existence he starts to flicker-out, crossing
Paul Barrett
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A LIFE TRANSPARENT by Tood Keisling tells the story of Donovan Candle, a man with a devoted wife and a dead-end life. Donovan once had dreams of being a writer, but real life and the pressures of earning a steady paycheck intruded and he soon lost his dream and settled for a boring but stable job and a life of average.

One day he finds himself flickering in and out of existance. Literally disappearing from the world and standing in a land of gray shadows inhabited by white, alien creatures. At fi
The Sunday Book Review
What would you do if someone called up on your boring life? Donovan Banks had no choice but to find out. In this story, we are led as Donovan must save his kidnapped wife as a way to prove to him that he can't continue to live his in such a mundane way.

The story starts off great. A man is unhappy with his life and has a job he hates just so he and his wife can later afford to have a child. He works as a telemarketer and gets that one phone call where someone asks him what his dreams are and why
Clay Cobb
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's really rare for me to enjoy a book from start to finish. There are moments in most every novel that will turn me off, or start to lose my attention. It's not something that disqualifies a book from being great, but I do recognize how difficult it is for an author to give you all the backstory, sensory information, and other details necessary to immerse you in the world of the book without letting monotony creep in. This, however, is not one of those stories. I did not have one moment where ...more
Tom Lichtenberg
This is a cautionary tale in the guise of a supernatural thriller. Beware of living a dull, cautious life, or even just being a boring person, or the boredom bogeyman might come and literally suck you out of this world, body and soul. This book about boredom is itself never tedious. There are a number of interesting and creative features which kept me intrigued throughout.

The main hook is that an ordinary person living a pointless existence can disappear, and become one of those missing persons
Shadira
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Todd Keisling

It took me only one day to complete this book, the story and plot line was so good that I had no choice but to continue reading.
good suspense,good character development.

with that being said I also learned a few things ..
the word monochrome and cretins.
A fast-paced, easy read that envelopes you in an intricate sci-fi adventure ...generally,the book moves very quickly, but chapters with a more leisurely pace helped keep the tension high and the story moving without allowing the reade
Dorothy
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wasn't really sure what to expect from A Life Transparent. I didn't even know what genre it was. I had watched the trailer and was intrigued. As soon as I started reading, I was hooked. I don't know if you would list this as paranormal or science fiction, but it doesn't really matter. This reminded me of Dean Koontz when I still liked him (before he went overboard on sarcasm). The characters are compelling, the story is fast paced and interesting, and the concept intriguing.

At first glance, yo
Mercedes Yardley
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read 70 percent of this book in one night, and finished it up the next day. Keisling created a character who was memorable due to his being unremarkable. Donovan Candle is a stable, hardworking, average Joe who isn't the best at anything. He is mundane. He isn't living to his full potential. He's painfully ordinary.

Keisling's horror of the mundane bleeds through in this work. I found myself growing to like Donovan and especially his brother. The premise was unique and I especially liked the Cr
Hope Collier
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I recently read A Life Transparent by Todd Keisling and what a wonderful surprise. Great Sci-Fi that has a fresh voice and a unique take on the (hopefully) impossible. The story was engaging and exciting... as well as unpredictable in a way that is often lacking in the genre. The characters are well written and the plot one of a kind. You won't find derivation in this story . Todd's out-of-the-box thinking keeps the reader guessing and questioning their own existence in the process. A definite r ...more
Donald
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable story about a man whose choices have led to a dull life and dull job and what happens when the consequences of those choices threaten those he loves. I'm sure the vast majority of us have taken a gig because they were the only one to call back out of all the applications we've put out. Many of us have fallen into a routine because its easier than taking risks. But what if there was something that fed on that apathy and could use it against us? Find out here!
L. Silvey
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
What's worth than death? Being forgotten. Even worse? It's all your fault.

A Life Transparent may be fiction, but you'll quickly relate to the book's main character, Donovan Candle. A guy who thought he had life pretty much figured out only to find out he was from it.

This book will kick you in the head and by the end, you'll be re-examining your life.

(I actually give this a 4.5 rating)

Lydia Peever
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speaking to everyone stuck in a work-a-day family-land life, A Life Transparent shakes that core in the way that Dark City and Mullholland Drive once did. Wonderful work. A great book to lend to those needing a wake up call and a good read for those that wander every other path but ordinary.

I do wish it had been a little longer to flesh out the underground scenes, but the length works for a weekend read, right. Thank you Todd, and good luck with the sequel.
Mary Rajotte
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Todd Keisling’s A Life Transparent explores the universal desire to make a mark and leave something tangible behind, but lead Donovan Candle is about to find out what happens when one does not live up to one’s potential.

Read my full review HERE and enter to win a copy (contest closes midnight Fri. Mar. 16)
Shannon
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story follows Donovan Candle, an average person seeming to lead a rather ho-hum life, until he ends up skirting worlds on a adventure that could change his life. Donovan is a great character, as I think everyone can see some of themselves in him as he works through his fantastical experiences. The world within in a world aspects are set up nicely, and it comes to a nice conclusion, while setting up future stories.
ParaYourNormal
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Jennifer Bacile

...I doubt Mr. Keisling intended his excellent tale as a ‘kick in the pants’ to his readers, but it was a good kick in the pants to have, from an unexpected place...

Read the entire review at ParaYourNormal
Matthew Rogers
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book greatly, I enjoy the storyline and love the characters. This novel is fresh in every way possible and I'll always be glad to have it among my many books. Todd knows how to write, so if I were you I pick up this book and don't put it down, this is not the kind of story you want to miss.
Tracy Lucas
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book for Smash Cake Magazine recently, and was amazed by how quickly I fell into the character's world. These pages contain a smooth ride and weird, archetypal imagery that I couldn't shake back out of my head.

I dug it.
Jerry Lucas
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The pacing was awesome I couldn't put it down.
Tara
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, stand-alone
Couldn't put it down. :)
James
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not my usual genre, but the book drew me into the story and I thorougly enjoyed it. Anticipating more from Keisling.
Clayton
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A solid bit of writing. From the blurb and reviews, I was expecting something more akin to literary fiction, but this book is really solidly in the fantasy category. Just so you know.... I tend to be not much into pure fantasy, or weak protagonists, so I cannot give full marks, but I bet many fantasy-lovers might appreciate this book very much. A good ending too.
Amandawolfe
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I can honestly say that I have never read a book like this one. I don't read many sci-fi books, but I did like this book. It was well-written and a page turner! It made me think about my own life and how easy it is to get trapped in the mundane aspects of my day!
Rachel
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting premise, one of the stranger books that I have read, but very interesting and a good read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Free Book Cha...: A Life Transparent, by Todd Keisling FREE TILL 11/2 1 9 Oct 29, 2012 03:51PM
A Life Transparent Giveaway 1 2 Mar 01, 2012 03:42PM
TODD KEISLING is the author of A Life Transparent, The Liminal Man, and the critically-acclaimed novella, The Final Reconciliation. His most recent releases are The Smile Factory and the horror collection, Ugly Little Things: Collected Horrors, available now from Crystal Lake Publishing. He lives somewhere in the wilds of Pennsylvania with his family where he is at work on his next novel.

Monochrome Trilogy (2 books)
  • The Liminal Man