Start by marking “Tar: An Apocalyptic Horror Novella (Hell on Earth, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Tar: An Apocalyptic Horror Novella (Hell on Earth, #2.5)

Tar: An Apocalyptic Horror Novella

(Hell on Earth #2.5)

How do you go on living when tomorrow isn't coming?

The world has ended, yet few places still cling to life, dragging out their final moments until the last dwindling seconds. The United Kingdom is one such place, but it is only a matter of time before it too is wiped from the face of the earth. The Tar is coming...

That means the clock is ticking for ex Irish Separatist F
Published September 1st 2016 by SalGad Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Tar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tar

Andrew Lennon
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great tale from Iain Rob Wright. This was a lot shorter than most of his works, quick readers could probably do it in one sitting.
I don't want to say much about the story as I don't like to give anything away. What I will say it that the ending took me by complete surprise!

It was also a pleasant surprise to find a handful of short stories in the back of the book from other authors as well. Some new names and some well known, such as Matt Shaw and Michael Bray.
All of these stories are ver
WendyB
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, kindle
Interesting end of the world story. It's brief but there is still some nice character development.
Ozsaur
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How in the world did this novella deserve five stars? Maybe it was the little ray of hope in the midst of despair. Maybe it was the depth of characterization compressed into such a small space. Maybe it was the creative form of the apocalypse.

Nah, it was the way the story squeezed my heart right at the end.
Kasia
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finn, a brother on a suicidal revenge run to find the guy who killed his sister, an abandoned child, an abused dog and a brave woman. An unlikely group that forms a pack that dives into the last reaches of humanity. Witty and feisty, this story packs a punch while diving into the last of what’s left until tar eats everything on the planet. What do you choose as your last moment?

Iain is quite the master at manipulating mundane things into horror stories. An ooze like goo comes out of a failed sci
Thomas Hobbs
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tar a success

This was a very good short story. It kept me in suspense and sad it was as short as it was. The other short stories were just as good. Didn't realize when I bought this book it was a collection of short stories.
William Bitner Jr.
Just finished reading “Tar” by Iain Rob Wright. I know I sound like a recording when it comes to Iain’s books, but what can I say, he writes some fantastic stuff. This was a great Post-Apocalyptic/Horror/Thriller Novella. Novella being the only problem with this book, it ended way too soon. Something that Iain does so well is a story within a story within a story. The Tar is coming and the world is ending, but Finn, an ex IRA member, has to find the low life piece of crap who killed his sister a ...more
Nogueira
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, ebooks
After a scientific experience that went really wrong in the brand new state of the art particles collider, the world is doomed, a chain reaction created a tar like, oozy antimatter stuff that is eating the whole planet, destroying everything that it toutches... It started in Australia, moving in all directions, so it will end in England and it's there that we meet our hero Finn, trying to survive the chaotic anarchic society while urging to finish a revenge quest before the end of the world!

Iain
Carolyn Injoy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tar: An apocalyptic horror novella by Iain Rob Wright is a compelling story about the development of an expensive science facility in Australia. It was called the Oceanic Science Collider, OSC.

After the experiment was halted, Shepherd said: "We'll assess things and see where we stand, but there is no reason to lose heart. No scientist ever walked a straight path to discovery. Humanity's destiny has always been a meandering zig-zag. Each obstacle in the road gives us a tiny glimpse at the myster
Kim
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Setting: London, UK. Former IRA 'soldier' Finn leaves Ireland and travels to his family home in London in the aftermath of his sister's murder. Finn is set on revenge, to find and kill the person who murdered his sister, but, at the same time, the end of the world is nigh. The UK is the last bastion of civilization as a creeping tide of a tar-like substance, originating in Australia, has consumed the rest of the world - people, animals, buildings, oceans. Partly reminiscent of Nevil Shute's 'On ...more
Ami
As with every other Iain Rob Wright tale, Tar is gripping, terrifying, well-written and, in this case, entirely too possible. I enjoyed it very much. I also found that even though Tar is a novella, the characters are well-rounded and pulled on my emotions. I have a lot of sympathy and empathy for the three primary players.
REBECCA PEACOCK
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the characters and it was a really good story, a bit different to the usual apocalypse style books. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
M Gordon
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This guy is awesome

This guy has a great imagination it shows in his writings. I have not read a book by him that I didn’t like. Much like Stephen King and several other horror writers he’s top notch.
Ann Keeran
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick read about the horrific ending of the world. Short but scary!
Tim Martin
So apparently apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic stories set in Great Britain are a thing. I read _The End of the World Running Club_ by Adrian J. Walker (where people in Great Britain deal with the aftermath of either multiple asteroids or comets hitting the earth). There was _The Silence_ by Tim Lebbon (Great Britain contending with hordes of flying monsters that are attracted to sound; it is better than it sounds). I recently read the excellent _The Girl with All the Gifts_ by M. R. Carey (zombies ...more
Danny Hammons
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great story from Ian Rob Wright

This novella is yet another great book from Ian Rob Wright. You can't get any more post-apocalyptic than this! Great!
J.C. Brennan
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Death awaits us all, and it comes like a thief in the night for most of us. But when some Australian Scientist quantum power experiment goes horribly wrong, they unknowing bring death to the world. It’s a death that no one can hide from, run from, or stop; the tar is coming to swallow the earth and suffocate all life.
What would you do if you knew the world was going to end? Would you run and hide? Would you wait in misery for death to take you over with your family? Or would you fulfill a promis
Vix
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Vengeance never dies.....
Set in an ending world where a substance is slowly covering the earth and killing all in its path IRW does well to set the scene, then continue with little snippets of information throughout the story.
The rest of the story centres around Finn, a very angry and initially a bit of an a*se of a character. He manages to make it back to his family after years of fighting in Northern Ireland, just in time to conveniently miss his beloved sisters death at the hands of another
Jennifer Tooker
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it

What do you get when you combine a failed experiment, mass extinction event and one pissed off older brother hell-bent on revenge? You get “Tar” – the newest novella from Iain Rob Wright.

While not a long book, Tar checks in at approximately 230 pages, this story really packs a punch with regard to action and suspense. Finn is desperate to hunt down his sister’s murderer and avenge her death but doesn’t have the luxury of time as the Tar creeps ever closer. As usual in a story such as this if tha
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great selection of books

Iain you have surpassed yourself.. I loved Tar and the the other selection of books were just icing on the cake. I'm not surprised it went to No 1. I'm in Spain and couldn't put it down. Congrats. Helen Lancaster
Kevin
Sep 02, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This review is solely based on the novella by Iain and not the shorts at the end as one of them is mine.

I love post apocalyptic tales and I love Iain's books so I wanted to read this one as soon as I got it. It's pretty short so can be read in one sitting. The tar taking over the world plays out as a background story while we follow the main characters journey to find the man who killed his sister. As the story progresses through some great scenes with plenty of violence we find out more about t
rebecca lou
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bit dissapointed..

I'm a bit disappointed as i really enjoy Iain Rob Wright's writing so i was deliciously excited to read a longer novel of his, to get to %50 and realise the rest of the book was short stories by other writers! I cant complain, "tar" itself was a great idea for a beginning for an apocalyptic story and written beautifully, and the short stories by other writers were great I'd just hoped for more iain rob wright! But as ever, what work there was of his, was fantastic.
Hilliard Emmanuel McDonald
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good collection of short stories

Though the main story, Tar, was good and sad, it was not scary. Tar possessed a very good post-apocalyptic storyline about the horrors of mankind in times of crisis. The short stories were very good. Dobson Lane to Apartment 5C to Jeffrey's Wild Ride to Over My Dead Body to Eye See You to Master Knows Best. They were all very good and scary and a few were very graphic. I highly recommend this book and I will definitely read more of Iain Rob Wright as well as
Donna Fitzpatrick
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome, imaginative book by IRW! Iain is one of my favorite authors and he never disappoints. His characters are always believable. And the premise of this book, that a strange black tar is slowly covering the Earth wiping out all life, is like nothing I've ever read before. This book is novella length, and this is not a criticism - I enjoyed the book so much I would like to have read an epic length tale of this strange dying world. I think a lot of different stories could be told here. ...more
John Grathwol
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER AWESOME READ FROM MR. I.R.WRIGHT

First off let me say I never give away any part of stories in my reviews. No spoilers that way.
From start to finish I have been glued to this story, and as with all this authors books I am left thinking of it for days after. The characters in this book are really well fleshed out and I fell for Minty right away. Finn, it turns out, is really a great man. Sure he was conflicted in life, but to some extent arn't we all.
Thanks again for another awesome read.

Andrea Knott
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not that scary

This was a good story that sort of reminded me of "The Road" by Cormac Mc Carthy in a very distant way. But I was hoping it would be scarier, and I was disappointed in that regard. But I will continue to read this author's books because I find the subject matter interesting. Also, the author is a good story teller, and that really goes a long ways towards making a good book.
Orkney Dean
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Uniquely dark

I've read hundreds of apocalypse and post apocalypse books but this is the first that, within the first few pages, leaves you without a doubt that this time it is over, the end is here and nothing will stop it. Add that to the story of a former terrorist seeking vengeance for his murdered sister you get one of the darkest tales ever written.
Kimberly Trivette
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another Hit

Never disappointed. Yet another great read that will keep you awake at night, due to the fact it draws you in. Iain is an extremely talented writer. I would go as far as calling him an artist.
The short stories were an added bonus. Will definitely have to check them out. Thx for sharing!! Till next time...
Shell Shearer Swinscoe
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome....thats all x
Claire Armstrong-Brealey
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and bonus

What a fabulous book to read as not only do you get a lovely story from himself but also bonus stories from other brilliant authors. I am so glad I read as I would hate to miss out in such tales as these
Sheridan Lee
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Iain has no problem tapping into feasible situations and terrifying us.

A science experiment gone horribly wrong. Global extinction is a reality. This story follows a handful of survivors. Some lose their humanity while others find it.

Fantastic read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec

Hell on Earth (3 books)
  • The Gates (Hell on Earth, #1)
  • Legion: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel (Hell on Earth, #2)
  • Extinction: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel (Hell on Earth, #3)
“if one day you see a cat eyeing up a mouse and then the next day ye have a dead mouse, it don’t make much sense to blame the dog.” 0 likes