Start by marking “Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology

Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Pojman's PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION offers a comprehensive sampling of newly emerging scholarship and also includes many essays that traditionally have proved successful in p[hilosophy of religion classrooms. The editor's lucid introductions preface articles by such important contemporary writers as Alvin Plantinga, Richard Swinburne, Robert Merrihew Adams, William Alston, Gar ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy of Religion

Adrien Green
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This guy is starting to collect dust on my shelf. I pick it up from time-to-time, but I'm convinced I'll never finish it. So here's my review. I bought Pojman's anthology because it's flat-out the most content-rich, well-balanced presentation on the subject of the existence of God, or lack thereof. Pojman includes compelling arguments for both sides. This is a thinking person's read. Since it's an anthology, it's easy to jump around, as Pojman has arranged the works in a very logical manner.
Sanjana Rajagopal
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philo-theo
I read the first three sections of this during the month of October. My professor lent the book to me and I enjoyed it as an introductory survey of different directions one could go with the God debate. I'm counting it towards my challenge bc I got through approximately 400 of the 700 pages straight, and the remaining sections were not in my area of interest--though I'm sure they would have been interesting had I picked them up when not working on non-concurrent schoolwork!
Tiffany
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in religious studies
This book does a great job of presenting both sides of religious arguments such as "Does God exist?" "Why is there evil if God exists?" "What are the attributes of God?" etc. Full of articles, essays, and lectures. I really enjoyed reading the book - it was informative, easy to read, and had good evidence for both sides of the arguments.
sr
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made some very strong cases for his views on religion. His alternative for belief (i.e. hope) is a very interesting idea and perhaps a better alternative than atheism for those that cannot find themselves believing. Makes a generous defence of religion as an aid to ethics.
Darryl
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious, philosophy
This was a great collection of essays. It was the text for my philosophy of religion class at BYU (a fantastic class.) It acted as a sort of taster for each of the authors of the different essays, so I think it's a great jumping off point for the subject.
Michael
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very accessible, but analytically rigorous. The reader should probably work through this book with a group, or at least a teacher. Subjects start getting a little exhaustive in Ch.4 with the Ontological arguments.
Tylor Lovins
Terrible book. Pojman would have us ignore the many important advances Wittgensteinians have made in the philosophy of religion, really never acknowledging them. He would keep us at astrology when we can study astronomy.
Christian
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and well-rounded text. Highly recommended. Not esoteric, of course, but it's an anthology -- a seeker with genuine intellectual curiosity is of course more than welcome to seek out the whole original texts.
Rob Durham
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
An a excellent compilation of arguments and counter-arguments over some of the most subjects in philosophy of religion.
Rob
A good introductory text on topics like cosmological, teleological and ontological arguments, problem of evil and other ideas. Very basic stuff, however.
Eunice
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
it was an interesting reading material for our philosophy or religion class!
Martin Lau
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
religion has as much value to modern life as Kanye West
Alexandra
  • The Essential Writings
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • Philosophy of Religion: An Introduction
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader (Portable Library)
  • Spiritual Sayings Gibran
  • Buddhist Biology: Ancient Eastern Wisdom Meets Modern Western Science
  • Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach (10th Edition)
  • The Roman Republic: A Very Short Introduction