Start by marking “The Underachieving Ovary” as Want to Read:
The Underachieving Ovary

The Underachieving Ovary

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Will there be light at the end of the birth canal?

Does the word ‘endometriosis’ make you want to stick a fork in your eye? No? Then perhaps this book isn’t for you. It’s funny, and (sometimes alarmingly) frank. It contains an impressive array of synonyms for ‘vagina’ and it’s certainly NSFW.

It’s about having a devil womb and a hot knife lodged in my shoulder. It’s about be
Published September 29th 2016 by Pulp Books

To ask other readers questions about The Underachieving Ovary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Underachieving Ovary

Whispering Stories
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I start my review I must tell you that I don’t feel that I am the target market for this book, as I fortunately didn’t have any issues conceiving my three sons. However, having read JT Lawrence’s books before, I was interested to learn more about her as a person, not just an author, and I knew from her writing style that this would be a book that I would enjoy (if that’s the right word to use, given the nature of the plot).

The first thing that you notice is how open and honest JT (Janita)
Melissa Delport
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tsbc-authors
Bravo, JT, bravo! This book is, quite simply, a journey. It is real, and raw, and remarkable, with laugh out loud, choke-on-your-tea moments. Then there are those moments when you have to swallow the lump in your throat and go play with your kids, just because you can.

Admittedly, when I first started it, I thought it would be just another infertility story (I say that with all the nonchalance of someone who has not suffered with infertility) but boy was I wrong (spoken with all the empathy this
Natasha du Plessis
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about Janita's journey from trying to conceive with all the ups and downs of infertility until her happy ending. This book reminded me of my own struggle to fall pregnant as I also struggled with endometriosis - the ugly catch 22 situation...

I loved the chapter headings, as I don't normally read it but these just did something to the book for me.
This is the first english book by a fellow South African that I have read, not all good writers are from UK or USA, you go Janita.

I woul
Kim
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I loved this book despite starting to read it with some trepidation. I wasn’t sure if I cared enough about fertility to be engaged enough to read a whole book!

BUT………. it didn’t take Lawrence long to blow me away with her writing. Despite being a sceptic I was on every step of the journey with her. She writes with such a rawness that it feels like you know her, and by the end of the book, you love her and her family like they are actual real people. Which obviously they are, but like real real, n
Michelle
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elaine Tansley
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I loved this book, but what an emotional roller coaster of a read! I feel emotionally drained. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I cheered and sometimes all within the space of the same page.

Having suffered with endometriosis and fertility issues when I was younger myself, although to a much lesser degree than Janita, I could appreciate a little of what she went through. Most of all I could understand her single-minded, bordering-on-obsessive determination that she wanted a baby, no matter w
Jestine
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
They say 'life is a journey, enjoy the ride' But sometimes you just want to flip the journey off with two birds. Becoming a mother is supposed to be every woman's right. Yet it is not the case for so many who are labeled with the word infertile. Infertility is a battle that can drive the sane insane. And bring you to the point of believing that assumption is the mother of all f-ups.

Janita's story is gripping, heartwernching and humoristic, with a happy ending. Following her 'war-story' gave me a
Tracey Chananie
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As Neets says, from as far back as she can remember, she has wanted to be a mother, to give birth to her baby; to hold her baby; to feed and bath and dress her baby and then she finds out she can't.

Raw emotion - like when you accidentally rip the scab off a sore - is the only way to describe this book. Brutally honest; medically informative; laugh out loud funny and heartrendingly sad - the journey the reader takes with Neets and Mike through the seemingly unending chasms of infertility will res
Michelle Hillyard
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Faced with a disgnosis of infertility, author JT Lawrence honestly documents her journey in a raw, entertaining and oftentimes witty manner.

In tribute, I present a list of all the reasons why I give this read a solid five stars:

1. She doesn't hold back: this is not only a front seat ticket but also an all access pass to the trials, emotions and, um, often messy process of dealing with infertility

2. Her wit and humour will have you laughing at even the most unfortunate of processes.

3. You'll lear
Melissa
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to all wannabe baby mamas struggling with fertility! Written as her journal, it's very readable and heartbreaking and REAL. If you've thought/felt it, she did too. I bought the Kindle book because libraries didn't have it (OMG!!!!!) so hopefully I can share it. It could've been MY journal when I read: "I know I think too much. Always have... I play things over in my mind until they are sufficiently processed, and only then can I let go... It's like there is the actual conversation ta ...more
Elize Heerden
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local-authors
SECOND READ

This book, this time I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was amazing, really enjoyed this, I think even more than I did the first time around.

FIRST READ
WOW, while reading this one, I learned so much, and I have to say, every woman, especially Janita, who has gone through this has become my hero.

This is an alarmingly frank and incredibly funny memoir of JT Lawrence as they go through the process of trying to get pregnant.

It had me in stitches and gasping for air, laughing a
Robyn
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was both heartbreaking and heartwarming . I find stories on infertility fascinating as it really isn't a reference point that I understand. I read Tertia Albertyn's book as well and found it equally fascinating and both of their stories luckily ended/started with having their dreams of a child realized. It makes me feel happy that it did but I do often wonder about the others who don't. Have there been any books written about infertility when there isn't a happy ending/starting.
Anyway
Marcio
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Despite not having ovaries, I absolutely loved reading this book. A brutally honest account of a woman who went through the hell of endometriosis and all the mental anguish that comes with it, in her at times bleak quest to motherhood; written in easy to read prose that made me feel like I wasn’t reading a book, but was actually sitting at a pub having a heart to heart with the author over a few beers. Using sharp wit, she reeled me in and kept me wanting more with deep thoughts like, “everythin ...more
Christine Bernard
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-list
I'm a fan of J.T. Lawrence, but I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy this book - simply because I don't have any children and I thought that I might not be able to relate. Turns out that I was wrong ... what a wonderful story. This was a very honest and raw take on a difficult period in her life. I'm not sure how much of it was autobiographical but by the end of the book I felt like I knew her well. Also ... other than the 'trying to conceive' part I felt often like I was reading about myself - whic ...more
Jackie Roche
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Helen at TBC and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest and open review.
This was a far cry from my usual diet of blood and guts. I requested this because I have family members who have been on a similar journey, and what a journey it was!
My heart went out to Janita and her family. I was incredibly lucky, as I realise now, and had no problems when trying to conceive. I am not sure if I would have been strong enough to do what Janita d
Claire Henderson
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I opened The Underachieving Ovary I could not put it down. It is a gripping book that takes you on an emotional journey through a number of ups and downs that make you laugh one moment and shed a tear the next.

It took me only a few days to get through this amazing diary-like book and, as someone who does not know very much about the struggles of infertility or endometriosis, it was a journey that has taught me a lot about the struggles many women/couples go through.

This is most
Debbie Winfield
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. I admire the author immensely for writing this book. I admire her for allowing us into her world during a very personal life event and for bearing her soul to us. As a sufferer of endometriosis and the fertility issues that came with it I can absolutely relate to some of the experiences faced by the writer. It's humour was honest because let's face it, you either laugh or cry during hard times. I'm now officially a huge fan of JT Lawrence and can't wait to read more of her ...more
Angelique Pacheco
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of one woman’s amazing journey into all things relating to having babies. As usual the writing is excellent and JT draws you into her world and all the emotions and experiences she faced. I loved reading this book. When she was angry I was angry with her. When she was sad, I felt it too. This book is raw and powerful and I believe that everyone who reads it (whether they have children or not) will come away with a deeper understanding and empathy for people who struggle to conc ...more
Briony
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommend for anyone who needs to understand the emotional roller coaster of infertility!

I am actively reading books on topics that cover emotional journeys I have not and probably, partly because of my life choices, will never go on - infertility, IVF, pregnancy and motherhood are amongst these.
This book has given me a valuable insight into the journey of infertility and IVF in a way that I had not imagined possible.
Thanks for bravely and humorously sharing your journey with us JT Lawrence.
Lyndsay Barr
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I laughed, cried, felt hopeful and then desperate all in the space of one chapter. I also loved just how honestly it was written ( no point in trying to make a visit to the gynae glamorous)

It has given me insight that I never had about the journey of infertility. What a roller coaster ride.

Read it, you will love every page. Finally, I have said it before and I will say it again, South Africa has some amazing authors, JT Lawrence being one of them.
Kathleen Gee
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished the most amazing, heart-breaking, funny and captivating book EVER! J T Lawrence's The Underachieving Ovary is a must for every couple....know that this Fertile Mertle will never ask someone when they are going to start a family again!
The emotional roller-coaster is worth every up and down. Make sure you have your tissues handy and be ready to laugh and cry you way through a life changing journey.
An absolute MUST READ.
Jo
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
J.T Lawrence really shared her life and her struggles with us in this story. Being about infertility and resulting chronic pain you could feel her struggle through it, however she has such a way with words that it is still an easy read. As it is a journal I did get confused by some of the names that popped up (having no memory of them being in the book previously) but this did not detract from the book. I felt it also gave me a good insight into infertility.
Kat
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by J.T Lawrence but it won't be my last. I hated the pain that she has gone through and just wanted to reach into the book and give her a hug. I can't imagine the heart break her and her husband went through. This book has gave me a better understanding of IVF and what's involved in the process.

Thanks goes to TBC and JT for offering me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Isabella Fulton
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Underachieving Ovary by JT Lawrence

I've never had JTs problems, but this book is for everyone, I learned a lot, reading it, I laughed at bit's, got choked up at others. I'm glad the author shared her story, it was wonderful. If the book is not for you, pass it on to someone else, let them see there can be light at the end of the tunnel.
Katherine
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't often read memoirs, but having thoroughly enjoyed JT Lawrence's fiction, I gave this one a shot. Her great sense of humour takes the edge off a bitterly painful story, but nothing can quite dull the heartache of her struggles to conceive a child.

I have so much respect for her as a woman, a human, and a writer. This is excellent.
Marlies Bontenbal
This is one incredibly well written book. It is funny, very emotional, deeply sad and at the same time so expressive...During reading I thought :"how is it possible that that somebody can describe all these feelings end emotions so well..." I don't want to give away anything of the story but ... wow. Just....wow.
Emma-jane
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! there were so many laughs and many tears too throughout the book.
it took me a little while to get into the writing style as its more of a personal diary. it felt at times like I was intruding on someone's life and almost like I shouldn't be reading it, that alone kept me reading! A fab book for anyone experiencing issues such as these!
Frieda
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, all the feels! The hope and expectation and sadness and pain and the fear!
You make us feel as though we are right there with you.

Quoted: "What's next? Telling people they're lucky to have a headache? Thank God for Panado, hey? At least it's not a brain tumour! "
Nicole Solomon
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
breathes life into my daily experience with infertility

i loved how identifiable and relatable the moments were. i laughed so hard when reading about my own experience put in such a real way. helped me laugh, not cry.
Andrea
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished ‘The Underachieving Ovary’. I pretty much read non-stop for hours, despite a rather big deadline on the horizon. I just couldn’t put it down. What a book!! It was devastating but wonderful, so much hope and joy at the end. Highly recommended!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Amazon bestselling, genre-hopping, kickass-female-protagonist-loving author.

Follow me here, on Amazon, or on BookBub https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jt-la...

www.jt-lawrence.com