Start by marking “The Dying of the Golden Day (The Heartfriends, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dying of the Golden Day (The Heartfriends, #1)

Read Book

The Dying of the Golden Day (The Heartfriends, #1)

Marked by gray eyes that prophesy the death of magic, Aurelia seeks to avert her destiny by serving as advisor to the prince of Sunniva, but a chance to reunite two broken kingdoms soon forces Aurelia to decide where her loyalty lies--with her prince or with her magic. Meeting Brennus, the first male born with magic in centuries, further complicates her choice.

When Edana,
Published September 2016 by Sky Forest Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dying of the Golden Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dying of the Golden Day

C. S.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Full disclosure, Carrie Gessner and I went to the same creative writing program and have met in person.

This book plays around with so many tropes that I love - princes predestined for greatness, lost royal children, strong emotional bonds formed in childhood that last into adulthood, magic swords... I really enjoyed the fresh spin on a lot of them.

I did find that the pacing in the first half of the book was a little slow for my taste, the narrative focusing strongly on setting up the geo-politi
Kelly W.
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Despite knowing Carrie via various social media platforms, I’m giving an honest a review because I feel that I don’t need to puff up my comments to really show my support for her and this book. The Dying of the Golden Day (TDOTGD from this point on) is a splendid change of pace from a lot of popular fantasy in that it actively attempts to subvert common tropes and place emphasis on earning its readers’ attention and attachment. As a reader frustrated with a lot of books in the fantasy genre, I l ...more
Margaret
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author to review but my thoughts are all my own. I give this book a 3.5 stars but since goodreads doesn't allow half stars I rounded up to encourage more people to pick up this book!

What I liked:

I gave my first star for the plot of this book. I felt it was pretty easy to follow, considering most fantasy books I end up rereading and confused. This story however I felt had the right amount of action and mystery thrown in that made me fly through the book. I did put it
Amy Lee
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gessner drops you right into the action and artfully fills you in as the adventures unfold. A fun and compelling read that bucks the usual fantasy tropes and puts women believably and intelligently in the leading roles. I find myself thinking about the characters long after I've finished the book. #2 please!!
Allan C.R.
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy, as a genre, has the ability to use the impossible, the otherworldly, and even at times the bizarre, to speak to us in a way that slips through our carefully constructed defenses. Whether it is guiding our gaze outward, calling attention to the true horrors of the world around us, or directing it inward at who and what we are, the best fantasy is more than simply a romp through the forest to slay the dragon.

Carrie Gessner’s debut, The Dying of the Golden Day, seeks to encompass the forme
J.L.
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2017
Disclaimer: I attended the same graduate program as the author and consider her a friend; however, I purchased my hardcopy version of this novel for full price.

I spend a lot of time reading urban fantasy these days, so it had been a while since I dove into a more traditional epic fantasy. Starting this novel felt a little bit like coming home. However, this novel is an epic fantasy for the modern age, filled with familiar elements of detailed world-building and political intrigue, but with surpr
Hannah
Mar 11, 2017
Rachel Komisak
Oct 10, 2017
Chloe Mobley
Jun 01, 2018
Lonny Johnson
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First encountered Ms. Gessner doing Fan Fiction in a Fandom I enjoy. She was one of the best there, but even so I was not prepared for how good this book is. It reminds me of Tolkien, and Stephen R Donaldson while being uniquely Gessner. This woman can write. The plotting, character voices, scenes, moods are spot on. I was blown away. A great book, worthy of your attention.
Margaret