Start by marking “The Wicked + The Divine: Book One” as Want to Read:
The Wicked + The Divine: Book One

The Wicked + The Divine: Book One

(The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) #1-2)

KIERON GILLEN, JAMIE McKELVIE, and MATTHEW WILSON return with an Eisner Award-nominated modern fantasy where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. Collects THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #1-11
Published April 6th 2016 by Image

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked + The Divine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked + The Divine

Start your review of The Wicked + The Divine: Book One
Celeste
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Full review now posted!
Original review can be found at Booknest.

Rating: 3/5 stars (for the art, mainly)

The art is absolutely lovely. The premise, intriguing. The execution, however, leaves much to be desired.

Every 90 years or so, there is a Recurrence. Twelve gods incarnate themselves as humans and walk the earth. Their host bodies are generally teenagers, who are now endowed with amazing powers and the ability to perform miracles. They are here to inspire, and to push back the Darkness. They will be loved. They will be hated.

And in two years, they will beposted!
Original
shartyrant
I had heard of this series for a while and the covers to the comics had attracted me with the simplicity of the art style. The concept of Gods/Goddess showing up every 90 years as young people who are either hated or loved then in two years they are all dead seemed interesting. WAs expecting something along the lines of maybe DC Comics Vertigo or deeper. I was extremely disappointed. The story starts off with a bang with the mystery of who was killing who. Who killed one "individual god" ? What ...more
Dara
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up based on the recommendation of Taliesin Jaffe on Signal Boost. It was an intriguing concept - every 90 years, the pantheon of gods are reincarnated as humans for 2 years. They live their lives as superstars, burning brightly then dying 2 years later.

I loved the commentary on how society views our pop stars and how that plays on the idea of them as gods (it also helps that the gods of WicDiv look like Bowie, Prince, and Rihanna). The artwork is gorgeous. I also really liked
Kimberly
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What??? Nooooooo!! It can't leave me hanging like that. I am pretty obsessed with this series. It's hard not to be. The allure of having Gods in our time? And they are all so glamorous. The artwork is gorgeous. It's almost mesmerizing, hypnotic. Man, I cannot wait for the next installment.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Couldn't finish because I just didn't care. The art is good, but there is not a strong storyline here. It's mostly just "there's gods, look how cool they are!"
wanderer (Para)
Read this for the r/Fantasy Bingo challenge, graphic novel square. It's a story of reincarnated gods, pop stars, and fans. Unfortunately, while the art is gorgeous, the story is...kind of aimless? I never got a good sense of who the characters are, or if there's any bigger plot behind it all.

Also, it ends with a cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. What the fuck.
Anthony
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image
I read this in singles as it comes out, and have done since it started, but reading it in this collected hardcover is so much better. You can really get into the story and characters better, and I got through it quick because I couldn't put it down. Whole new affection for a book I've been a fan of since day 1.

Looks like I'll be getting the other hardcovers now....
Chad Jordahl
Gods are so not my thing. This book overflows with pretentious posers with weird names. Could not finish. The art is a bit of all right tho.
Janine
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars (man, when is Goodreads going to allow me some half-star ratings?!)

I picked this up because of the cover, while Dan was browsing the graphic novel section at the library. I started flipping through it and found myself actually intrigued by the first few pages. I checked it out, placed it in my to-read pile on my nightstand -- and then forgot about it. Until someone else had it on hold -- and then I was SO MAD I had to return it and hadn't gotten to it.

So, when i
Cat
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally in love with The Wicked + The Divine., but that cliffhanger - whyyyyyy?
Joellyn
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The art in these comics is just so gorgeous I want to live in it.
Luis
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up after reading some good things about it, and sadly it was a let down.

The art is at times very good, specially the covers at the back of the book. However, for the most part it was just acceptable. The line isn't very refined (rarely they play with its thickness) and the colours are just... there? The palette is mediocre. Mostly, no interesting composition either, and very little playing with the vignettes' borders.
There are some very good exceptions to all of th
The Artisan Geek
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcase
15/9/19
So good and also so unique! There were a few parts where I had a bit of difficulties following the plot, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. This is the type of comic I'd love to read again!

10/9/19
I bought volume 1 in London a couple of weeks and absolutely loved it, what a crazy story! I can't wait to read what will happen to our gods!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Drown Hollum
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, drama
For personal reasons, I took quite the hiatus from W+D. When it was finally time to come back, I found a set of very pretty hardcovers waiting for me. I'm buying them. I don't know what I'll do once I'm caught up to the trades again, but I'm sure as hell glad I started reading this series once more. I've already read and reviewed the content contained in this book, but needless to say, this is still an incredible title worth every bit of your time.
~*~Meg~*~
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. It has turned into one of my fave reads of the year. I can't wait to read more!

5 Star Rating!
TRex_TeaTime
The art is so beautiful! It took me longer to read this because I had to stop and stare at every cover! And the premise is really intriguing.
The only reason this isnt 5 stars for me, is because I found the story a little hard to follow at times, I kept expecting to be filled in at some point, but I just had this overall feeling that I'd missed an issue at the beginning.
I was also a bit disappointed with some of the character building; some of them went so quickly but I hardly knew anything abo
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-indy, comics
The Wicked + The Divine is a book that reads much better in large chunks, so it's great to get these 11 issues in a single volume — and it's more obvious than ever that they're a single story, front to back.

The joy of this comic is the concept: gods reborn every 90 years, become pop stars, but doomed to die.

The joy of this comic is in the characters: not just a full pantheon of gods, but also several human characters of note.

The joy of this comic is in the mysteries
Amanja
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was a refreshing change with a nice and diverse mix of characters. Really loved the style and brilliant colours in the this. Maybe I'm an oblivious reader, but was quite surprised by the end. Certainly keen to explore further volumes.
Kurt
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Took me a minute to get into the art, but the color is lush and that carried me over into unabashed admiration for the overall look. Nice concept, too, and relatively shocking cliffhanger to conclude the book.
Edric Unsane
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Gods have 2 years to live, are music stars, murder, and mayhem? Sign me up! The Wicked + The Divine is great. Read it!
Sal
Apr 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dnf didn’t like it
Casey
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That cliffhanger. Wow. Now I have to buy the next one, don't I?
Norah
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, 2018, comics
I want to read the rest immediately right now, my God
Ida Lindskog
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Great art, but the plot was way too confusing and I didn't care about the characters.
Chris
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Gillen and McKelvie have something great here. I can't wait to read the next installment. Characters that are fleshed out and art/colors that truly bring them to life makes for an easy but compelling read.
Eran Weiss
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Starts good, gets quickly to very good.
Nothing you haven't heard before, but done very well, with good plot and characters.
Ian Hord
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of American Gods and the game Smite I was drawn to this story of gods reborn into mere mortals. I am not usually drawn to the graphic novel genre but I raced through this to try to undertand what was going on.
As we follow Laura while her world is being turned upside down by "gods" that say they are only here for 2 years we discover what the world knows about them. Laura guides us through meeting as many gods as she can while often being in the wrong place at the wrong time. WHATS GONNA
Michael Giuliano
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I want to slap myself for waiting so long on this book. I want to get in a time machine and slap two-years-ago Mike for looking at the first issue and thinking, "Eh, I'll wait for the paperback", and then more-recent Mike for thinking, "Eh, I'll wait for the hardcover." Reading this makes me want to dig through my mountain of floppies to see if I actually did buy a copy of WicDiv #1, because I'm pretty sure that I did, because I'd love to re-read it again.

I fell in love with this boo
Zoë
The Wicked + The Divine is an alternate version of our present day, where pagan gods are real and they reincarnate every 90 years. The catch is that they are only alive for two years before the wait begins again.

I think this idea has a lot of potential. The strongest point for me was the characters - I think out of everything in the story, they were the most developed. Unfortunately I felt like most the the story was a "teaser" - that elements to the story would soon be explained more in-depth, but w
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Big Hard Sex Criminals: Volume One
  • East of West: The Apocalypse, Year One
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins II #2
  • Monstress Book One
  • Rat Queens: Deluxe Edition, Volume 1 (Rat Queens: Deluxe Editions, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Saga, Vol. 9
  • East of West: The Apocalypse, Year Two
  • Lazarus: The First Collection
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine #1)
  • Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)