Start by marking “The 4th Man (Quincy & Rainie, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
The 4th Man (Quincy & Rainie, #6.5)

The 4th Man (Quincy & Rainie #6.5)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  2,604 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
FBI Profiler Pierce Quincy and Officer Rainie Conner return in a baffling cold case in this exclusive eBook short story by New York Times bestselling author Lisa Gardner.

A young woman is found strangled in the stairwell of a college library, only her sneakers missing. With no physical evidence, no signs of sexual assault, and no witnesses, all the police have to go on are
Published December 27th 2016 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about The 4th Man, please sign up.

Paromjit
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a short story featuring Pierce Quincy and Rainie Connor. I have never read Lisa Gardner before and I really enjoyed this tale. A decade ago Jaylin Banks was found strangled in the Boston University Library. In an effort to resolve this cold case, Quincy and Connor have been called in. They interview Jaylin's boyfriend, two security guards, and a domestic violence adviser. The interviews are compelling and conducted with seamless ease by the experienced duo. Who exactly is the 4th man? Th ...more
Selene
This short story centers around the resurrection of a cold case from ten years ago. The suspects are interrogated one by one, each providing their own accounts from the night in question. The ending seemed silly. Until I read the author’s note, that is. (view spoiler) ...more
Kay*FindMeInThePages*
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
The 4th Man is a short story featuring reoccurring characters: Pierce Quincy, Rainie Conner and Detective D.D. Warren. It can be read as a stand alone, but due to its brevity reading some of the other stories first would help give the characters context.

Lisa Gardner writes excellent stories and this one is no exception. She some how manages to get all the hallmarks of a good mystery in just a few pages. D. D. and company must figure out whodunnit and why in a 10 year old locked room murder. Ther
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of suspense thrillers
THE 4th MAN
(Quincy & Rainie/FBI Profiler: #6.5; D.D. Warren: #8.5)
Written by Lisa Gardner
RELEASING: January 3, 2017; 57 Pages (Dutton)

Genre: novella, series, crossover, mystery, suspense

(I received an ARC from the PUBLISHER through NETGALLEY)

RATING: 4 STARS

Quincy and Rainie are back in action with the help D.D. Warren in this novella. I am not a huge fan of novellas but I like Gardner's quick stories that actually leave a nosy person like me satisfied. In this short story, the three crime fi
♥Rachel♥
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

The 4th Man
was based on a true story/murder, which definitely underscores the idea that “truth is stranger than fiction”. The reasons a person will murder are quite baffling sometimes!

Detective D.D. Warren has been working on cold case murders and this one committed ten years earlier stumped the investigators. A college student was strangled, and her body left in the stairwell of the campus library. No physical evidence was left on the scene and there were no eyewitnesses to the crime
Wendy
Shelves: jan-17, 4000-books
I was thrilled to be back in the world of Quincy and Rainie in Lisa Gardner's short story, The 4th Man.
FBI Profilers Pierce Quincy and Rainie Connor work alongside Boston PD Detective DD Warren on a 10 year old cold case involving the murder of college student Jaylin Banks. There are no witnesses, no DNA and no clues.
They re-interrogate three suspects that lead to a possible fourth.
In true Lisa Gardner fashion there is a twist in the end and never a dull moment throughout.
A riveting read!
I look
Linda Strong
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very short story featuring Profiler Pierce Quincy and Officer Rainie Conner, and of course, D. D. Warren, who plays a minor role. If you have never read this series, I would seriously recommend you start at the beginning. THE 4TH MAN is a stand-alone, but it really doesn't do justice to the characters for a first time reader.

Several years ago a young college student was found strangled in the library and only her shoes went missing. There was no DNA, no clues, no witnesses. The only se
Erin
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know, I know, The 4th Man is a short story and not a full-length novel and I am throwing in a 4 star review. But the simple fact is, when I sit down and read anything by Lisa Gardner( except for The Other Daughter which was a stinker) time literally stands still. Or in this case- the bathwater grows cold. Plus, it re-introduces loyal fans to former FBI profiler, Pierce Quincy and his partner, Rainie, while also giving us our( my) favorite Boston detective, D.D. Warren. The premise is simple- D ...more
Judy Collins
The "queen" of crime thrillers, Lisa Gardner returns following Find Her (2016) with a tantalizing mystery suspense short story, with an un·be·liev·a·ble killer twist:

THE 4TH MAN (Quincy & Rainie #6.5) with a preview of the upcoming highly anticipated Right Behind You, which will leave you salivating, and rushing to pre-order.

Boston Homicide Detective DD Warren has inherited a cold case and FBI Profiler, Pierce Quincy and his partner wife, Rainie Connor, have flown in from Oregon to
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
The ending is so lame - the who in who-done-it is so obvious & the reason? so childish, amateurish - I'm embarrassed for the author. Did she phone this one in? I'm being generous with rounding - 1.5 stars.
Skip
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A short story, not even a novella. The only positive was the return of Quincy & Rainie, the FBI Profilers, who Gardner has ignored since 2008, although their new novel was released yesterday. Boston Detective DD Warren is reviewing cold cases: this one is the 10-year old strangulation Jaylin Banks in the stairwell of a Boston college library. For unexplained reasons, the profilers are brought in to interview suspects, eventually solving the murder by determining the killer's unusual motive. ...more
Wendy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The 4th Man

I have always enjoyed the Detective D.D. Warren series and it has been years since I have read a Quincy and Rainie series. I thought it was a great idea to combine the two series but something was missing in this story. I couldn't put my finger on it but I am looking forward to reading the new book that is coming out soon with these characters. I hope it will be as good as the other books in these two series.
Hollis
A super short little cold case crime mash-up featuring Quincy & Rainie and DD! I'd give this four stars alone for just that pairing. The story started off interesting but the twist, the solve, was.. so bizarre. Made worse because in the afterword Gardner admits a similar crime happened in the eighties. So so weird, so so heartbreaking.

Rainie's job right now was to push buttons. Quincy knew from personal experience that his wife and partner was very good at it.

THE 4TH MAN isn't a necessary r
Tonya Coleman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Truth really is stranger than fiction sometimes. This story was based on an actual case and it is strange. Quick novella, but worth the read.
Laurel-Rain
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
D. D. Warren, a Boston Homicide Detective, prides herself on solving cases. But there is one cold case that still disturbs her. The strangling death of college student Jaylin Banks, whose body was found in the stairwell of the library one late night. Only her white Keds sneakers were missing.

Now, ten years later, D. D. has brought in two consultants from Oregon, the husband and wife team of Quincy and Rainie Connor.

Years before, three suspects had been interviewed: Jaylin’s boyfriend, James Duc
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it

I have read every book and e-novella that Lisa Gardner has written. I am completely obsessed with The FBI Profiler series and the D.D. Warren series. So I was very excited to read this short story.

You could read this story without having read any prior Lisa Gardner books. However, it will obviously have a much bigger impact if you are familiar with Quincy, Rainie, and D.D.

The 4th Man is an e-novella. It is part of the FBI Profiler/Quincy & Rainie series (#6.5). But it's also a part of the D.
Magpie67
I do love a good cold case that proves a fresh look at the facts will get the victim justice in due process. Sometimes a second look or new eyes on the documents brings to light a clearer path of the crime. Based on a true story makes this case even more interesting, if not just a touch creepy. Enjoy the bumpy ride as the detectives break down the previous suspects and all the readers learn they all had secrets the night Jaylin Banks died in the stairwell at the campus library. Sounds a bit like ...more
Marleen
Shelves: lisa-gardner
If you are a fan of the police procedural, then you will enjoy this short story by Lisa Gardner. For me, it’s been too long since I read anything featuring FBI Profiler Pierce Quincy and Officer Rainie Conner, an efficient and smart tandem in the interrogation room, and a lovely couple in their daily life.
Quincy and Conner get handed the interrogation of 3 suspects in a 10 year old cold case, by the Boston PD, more specifically D.D. Warren. A young woman was killed and found dead in the Universi
Leah
Last month I jumped on the Lisa Gardner bandwagon and when I was pitched this short story there was NO WAY I could pass it up!

Clocking it at under 40 pages, The 4th Man follows an investigation into a cold case: ten years earlier, a college student was strangled in a stairwell. This story focuses on tracking down several witnesses for another round of questioning. It's quick, entertaining, and made me VERY excited to read more of Lisa's work! If a total newbie like me (only one book down!) enjoy
Diane
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a novella (which I'm not a fan of), this one was pretty good. It's a combined/cross over with DD Warren and Quincy & Rainie. One of DD Warren's unsolved cases comes to the forefront and she invites the "Profilers" to help with closing the case. They need a confession from one of the 3 persons of interest - not an easy task since 10 years have elapsed since the murder took place. I'm not giving out anymore about the novella - it's a short read (about 40 pages more or less).

4 stars!
Hilary Grossman
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with all Lisa Gardner's books, this was a page turner that kept you guessing until the very last page. I read in one sitting.
Susannah Carleton
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good short story, with Quincey and Rainie joining D.D. Warren to solve a cold case of a young woman murdered in a university library late at night. One of the security guards found her in a stairwell shortly after 2 am. Three of the students present at the time cannot be found, but D.D. and anyone with a few free minutes have been investigating the case. There are three viable suspects, all of whom lied in their initial interviews with the police.

Will Quincey and Rainie be able to help D.D
Anne - Books of My Heart
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2017
I've read most of this author's books and I've read the whole Quincy & Rainie series, as well as the DD Warren series. This novella combines the well known characters in a short mystery of a 10 year old cold case. This was fun and comfortable with these old friends and their skill at solving it.
Dianna
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Sneakerheads? Who knew? Three stars only because it was so short that it really didn't allow for much character development or storyline. I didn't really understand the point of it. Perhaps it will tie into her next novel.
Jennifer  (BTH Reviews)
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, ebook
“The 4th Man” is an in-between short story (#6.5) in the Quincy & Rainie series by Lisa Gardner. It is also brings in D.D. Warren, a character from another series.

This mystery short story was published in Kindle format by Dutton on December 27, 2016.

I read “The 4th Man” because the publisher contacted me to write a review. Although I received a free digital advanced reading copy, my opinions are my own.

This review first appeared on our old blog booksthathook. I have modified and updated it
Nancy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detective D.D. Warren Teams with Quince and Connor to Solve a Cold Case

Detective D.D. Warren is working a cold case. Ten years ago, Jaylin Banks was strangled in a stairwell of the campus library. She wasn’t sexually assaulted and the three men who were in the library at the time, her boyfriend and two security guards, have alibis. D.D. enlists the help of profiler Pierre Quincy and his wife, Rainie Connor, a former police officer, to help question the suspects.

The suspects are interviewed, but
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The 4th Man by Lisa Gardner is a highly recommended police procedural short story featuring FBI Profiler Pierce Quincy, Officer Rainie Conner, and Detective D. D. Warren.

Quincy and Rainie agree to look at a cold case for D. D. Warren and see if they can build a case against one of the three suspects. Five years ago a young college student was found strangled in the stairwell of a college library. There were no signs of a sexual assault, no physical evidence left behind, and no witnesses. The onl
Piepie
I'm the type of person who thinks chilling and twisted thrillers, like Lisa Gardner novels, are "fun" to read. This brand-new short story was no exception. No gore, no DNA left behind at the crime scene 10 years ago... a mystery that fan favorites Quincy, Rainie, and D.D. are working together on to solve. The author's note at the end is interesting where it explains that this novel was based on a real-life killer with a seemingly bizarre fetish. 4 stars because I love Lisa Gardner so much. No re ...more
D.J. Adamson
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
FBI Profiler Pierce Quincy and Officer Rainer are invited by Detective D. D. Warren to consult on a cold case. Gardner is the novelist of over eighteen successful novels. This Kindle Single again proves she is solid in her storytelling.
This review can also be read on: Le Coeur de l'Artiste http://www.djadamson.com/le-coeur-de-...
Mike Hughes
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Was great getting to know Quincy and Rainie again. good to wet your appetite for the upcoming book featuring them. fast, easy to read story with a closed door mystery that was pretty easy for them to solve, looking forward to the full length book coming up..
(1) mystery & thrillers, suspense

aka Alicia Scott

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after catching her hair on fire numerous times, she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in po
More about Lisa Gardner

Quincy & Rainie (7 books)
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • Right Behind You (Quincy & Rainie, #7)