Start by marking “Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft (Foundations of Fiction, #3)” as Want to Read:
Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft (Foundations of Fiction, #3)

Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft

(Foundations of Fiction #3)

Do you have a manuscript to revise? Could you use a little help?

Award-winning author Janice Hardy (and founder of the popular writing site, Fiction University) takes you step-by-step through the novel revision process. She’ll show you how to analyze your draft, spot any problems or weak areas, and how to fix those problems.

With clear and easy-to-understand examples,
Published September 1st 2016 by Janice Hardy

To ask other readers questions about Revising Your Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revising Your Novel

Start your review of Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft (Foundations of Fiction, #3)
Stephanie Bibb
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read Janice Hardy's Planning Your Novel book and found it to be absolutely helpful (to the point that I'm often recommending it to other writers). I've read that one multiple times as I've worked on writing and revising various stories. I was thrilled when Revising Your Novel finally came out. It has a lot of useful information. (Though, as one of the other reviewers have stated, it can feel a bit dense. You may want to read it in chunks, or focus on one or two specific issues at a time. I wou ...more
Debbie Willson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely essential when you're learning to edit your books
Valerie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good checklist at the end

Revising Your Novel is a thorough overview of what to look for so that your story conveys your meaning.

Fiction has so many moving parts that some of us need checklists. We may not get in all the fixes that we’d like, but we’ll be farther ahead in our goal by using the items recommended by Ms. Hardy.
Kerry
Jan 27, 2020 added it
I love Janice Hardy's books. They are so easy to follow and very useful. If you need to self edit before turning it over to a professional or you are an editor looking to learn something, this is an excellent book to invest in.
Kamryn Koble
Do you know how grateful I am that I'm finally reading this book? I've owned it for years, but it's the first time I've actually had a 100% complete first draft in my hands.

I love Hardy's "Planning Your Novel" book, and "Revising Your Novel" is an equally powerful tool.

The one downfall is that it speaks to many different types of writers and drafts that it's difficult to discern what information actually applies to your work. This is more of a skip-around reference guide than a read-through ty
CL
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a mega-dense book but I don't think it's meant to (nor should be) read from start to finish. I began it highlighting bits that I felt I needed to pay attention to, and then ended up dipping in and out. I think it's an amazing resource that will be used when I find I'm struggling with particular issues during the editing stage in the future, and I'm most grateful for Janice's suggestion about creating an editorial map. This is overflowing with how-tos for fixing various problems. If an ag ...more
Suzanne Hess
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in ways that are not easy to identify. Recommended. Read more than once. Once for the information, and second to put the work into your own novel.
Dave Tindall
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Some good ideas that I will use in my novels.
Mrs Jennifer M Lewis
Aug 01, 2018

• The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • How to Write Dazzling Dialogue: The Fastest Way to Improve Any Manuscript
  • Author Branding: Win Your Readers' Loyalty & Promote Your Books (Writer's Craft)
  • Character Reactions from Head to Toe
  • How To Write That Scene: Professional Techniques For Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 28)
  • Marketing For Writers Who Hate Marketing: The No-Stress Way to Sell Books Without Losing Your Mind
  • Strong Verbs for Fiction Writers (Indie Author Resources Book 2)
  • You've Got a Book in You: A Stress-Free Guide to Writing the Book of Your Dreams
  • How to Write Comedy: The Danny Simon Notes (Short Subjects With Big Impact)
  • How To Be A Writer In The E-Age... And Keep Your E-Sanity!
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Paradise Creek: A True Story of Adventure in the Canadian Wilderness
  • The Short Story Writer's Toolshed - Your Quick Read, Straight-To-The-Point Guide to Writing and Selling Short Fiction (Writer's Toolshed Series)
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • Nikon D7500 Experience - The Still Photography Guide to Operation and Image Creation with the Nikon D7500
  • It's Not About the Hair: And Other Certainties of Life and Cancer
  • Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (1974 2001)
Janice Hardy is the award-winning author of the teen fantasy trilogy The Healing Wars, including The Shifter, Blue Fire, and Darkfall from Balzer+Bray/Harper Collins.

She also writes the Grace Harper series for adults under the name, J.T. Hardy.

When she's not writing fiction, she runs the popular writing site Fiction University, and has written multiple books on writing, including Understanding Sh

Foundations of Fiction (3 books)
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction, #1)
  • Plotting Your Novel Workbook (Foundations of Fiction, #2)

News & Interviews

“If a plot is a novel's skeleton, and characters are the muscle, then theme is its soul.” 1 likes
“A good plot is like a well-crafted puzzle. Each piece is vital to the bigger picture, connecting to each other to tell the larger tale.” 0 likes