Start by marking “Darkest Obsessions” as Want to Read:
Darkest Obsessions

Darkest Obsessions

All Sadie wanted was a normal life and when her ex-boyfriend, Matthew, was finally sent to jail she thought she could start that normal life in a little village on the Scottish Borders.

Tom, a small county veterinary had spent the last five years just surviving. A tragic accident had left him riddled with guilt. But when the beautiful Sadie Buchanan waltzed into her paren
Published August 25th 2016

Start your review of Darkest Obsessions
J. Saman
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is a book that just stays with you. Sadie was violently attacked by her ex-boyfriend, Matthew. He's currently in jail (though not for all that long) and as a result of the trauma, Sadie decides to leave her world behind and move to a small town on the Scottish border and stay in her parent's cottage. Let me just ask, um... can I come too? Baking and old ladies... I'm so there.

Sadie meets Tom, the local vet who is struggling with his own tragic past. The man saves dogs. Enough said. I
Melissa Copeland
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This is, for me, a more desirable Eat, Pray, Love fantasy (err...minus the tragic portions).

Sadie, a young architect from London, is a survivor of domestic violence. Though narrowly escaping with her life, her ex-douchebag, Matthew, has only been given 18 months behind bars ::::cough::::DISTURBINGLY COMMON::::cough:::: What’s more, he’ll likely be out sooner on good behavior. The poor lad was depressed, you see.

Just sayin’.

Sadie needs a mental health break, as anyon
Tiffany Young
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow factor!! This story sets you in a situation that happens to many people on a daily basis. Having someone be completely controlling, and painfully creepy is a scary idea. I love how Sheree Smith gives so much detail to such a serious subject in the beginning. This is something that some women don’t get a chance to escape in their lifetime. Battle scars and fear is what some have to deal with on a daily basis.

The Character Sadie seemed to be strong. Even though she feared for her life, some po
Glen Weissenberger
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully paced, character-driven romantic thriller, laced with humor, and filled with great psychological insight.

As a lifelong attorney who has written extensively in the intersection of law and psychiatry, I found "Darkest Obsessions" to be an extremely well-researched, well-considered, and an accurate portrayal of multi-dimensional horrors of domestic violence.

Victims of domestic violence can go in many directions: fail to even report their abuse; fail to show up to testify again
Lydia Larue
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The novel opens with a pivotal scene, and we are given glimpses of why the female protagonist is like she is. Sadie reminds me of any woman who has been through her situation.

Coming from a "police officer" oriented family, I felt sympathetic to Sadie as I know the long US procedure that she would have to go through. However, I don't know the justice system in Scotland to comment too much on that. I felt as if this part of the story was well researched. Sadie's reactions were accurate in this sit
Ashley Pullen
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spending 10 years in law enforcement I have learned a number of things. I have seen some women survive the horrors of an abusive relationship only to come out stronger in the end. I have seen some women repeat their same choices over and over again. I have attended the Eulogy of those who didn't survive because they didn't believe in themselves enough and confused pain with love. This story depicts a woman named Sadie and the journey she takes laying down her emotional luggage one piece at a tim ...more
Jen Seymour
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book “Darkest Obsessions” resonated with me, as I too have left the “big city” for a break and a more “outside of the box” life. Sadie is different than me, though, as she is getting away from a painful past. She is regrouping with her life by moving back to her hometown and taking some down time for herself. And of course, this is when unexpected positive things start to happen.

This story is about two people – both broken-down with past emotional baggage – who meet and feel an immediate c
Ju Ephraime
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Darkest Obsession has a theme that is becoming more and more commonplace because of the juridical system today. People are not held accountable and the bad guys know how to manipulate the system to their advantage. That is the case with Sadie and the incident with Mathew, which is where the story begins. With a beginning like this, the reader is pulled into the story, which goes at a good pace and never lets up until the last page is turned.
The author’s knowledge of the juridical system is appar
Kimberlyn Day
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a hard book to review.

You have to go into this novel with the understanding that you're not waltzing into a sweet romance. That opening scene should be an eye-opener to anyone who didn't get the memo--18 months! UGH! And as it so happens, sweet romances are more my thing, so this story was well and truly off my beaten path.

Having said that...wow.

Ms. Smith did a great job with her characters. Getting into the mind of a recovering victim is no easy feat. Writing her in such a way that we
L.A. Brown
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darkest Obsessions is an intriguing romance story. The characters are solid and well written. Sadie is dealing with a survivor of domestic violence and after her ex, Matthew gets only 18 months of jail time. She decides to take a leave of absence from her job to stay at her parent’s cottage. While there she meets a local vet Tom, who has his own tragic struggles. I do not wish to give too much away and say that it was an enjoyable read. The pace and story was excellently done by the author. The ...more
M.A. Levi
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darkest Obsessions was a riveting love story that climaxed in sweet torture between two broken people learning to find happiness once more.
Feeling so undeserving of such a second chance at life and love, Tom Ashton is a man haunted by the sudden deaths of his wife and child; and was the perfect hero to the heroine, Sadie Buchanan. Sadie is a woman riddled with fear and paranoia after a hostile relationship nearly killed her, and seeks freedom from the chaos of it all. As the story grows, their d
R.H. Harmsen
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darkest Obsessions is a cozy romance, a tender love story. Sadie, a young woman from London is a victim of domestic violence. Once her ex is put behind bars, she decides to stay in her parents’ cottage, in a small Scottish village. There, she meets Tom, the local veterinary and falls in love. But Tom has his own emotional baggage that she isn’t at first aware of. Will they make their relationship work? The characters are believable and sympathetic. The novel is an easy and enjoyable read. Recomm ...more
A.D. Herrick
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed full or real raw emotions that will leave you angry, scared, laughing, crying, and falling in love.
Sadie is a young victim of domestic violence and has moved away from the city for a much-needed break in the countryside with her parents.
During her holiday she begins to heal and Veterinarian Tom is a credit to hear healing.
Tom himself is recovering from his own tragedy.

I have absolutely fallen in love with the characters and the small town which feels so much like home.
Jonathan James
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well constructed novel with believable characters. The obvious sexual tension between Sadie and Tom was clear from the beginning, but could they overcome their individual emotional traumas to actually get it together… And what would be the consequences? All this and a dramatic climax in more ways than one. A bit more suspense and a few less cup-cakes and it could have been 5 stars.
D.S. Fisher
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darkest obsession is an interesting story with good pacing and believable characters. The characters of Sadie and Tom are realistic, and the development of their relationship drives the novel along well. The fear invoked by Matthew was, I thought, well done.

Darkest Obsession is a very character-driven piece, that I think fans of the genre will enjoy.
Eric James-Olson
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darkest Obsessions is romance-thriller type with suspenseful scenes and witty characters. I found myself drawn in by the underlying tension: Sadie has her past with Matthew and her love interest, Tom, has some inner demons of his own. Overall, I think the writing is strong and the story is solid. Highly Recommended.
Hannah Baston
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story drags you in immediately. The romance was hot and I found myself torn between Sadie’s two passions and her love triangle. The plot kept me guessing all the way through. Especially the unexpected ending…
Julie Graef
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darkest Obsessions was my second read by Sheree Smith. After reading "A Way to Escape," I was hesitant to read this one. I have to say though, a quite a bit could have also been removed from this book, this was a pretty good read.
As Sheree does, you are sucked in after the first chapter. Sadie, a young woman in her 20's is coping with an ex, Matthew that has terrorized and stalked her. After this ordeal, Sadie finds it best to leave the city for a while and heal at her parents place and work for
Lana
rated it did not like it
May 10, 2019

• The Last Call
  • Unwrap Me
  • To Love Jason Thorn
  • Marriage for One
  • Feel Me (The Novus Pack #2)
Sheree Smith was born in Doncaster. In 2000 she met her husband, Dean and moved to Nottingham where she lived for a further 15 years. They both now live in a beautiful part of Northumberland where Sheree enjoys tropical fish keeping, walking, reading and of course, writing books.

News & Interviews