Start by marking “Watching You” as Want to Read:
Watching You

Watching You

(Berger & Blom #1)

The start of a new series from international bestseller Arne Dahl.

SOMEONE IS WATCHING...

At each abandoned crime scene there's a hidden clue: a tiny metal cog, almost invisible to the naked eye. Someone is sending Detective Sam Berger a message, someone who knows that only he will understand the cryptic trail.

SOMEONE KNOWS...

When another teenaged girl disappears without tr
Published July 6th 2017 by Harvill Secker (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Watching You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watching You

Paromjit
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I imagine this is the first of the series, mainly because it seems as though Detective Sam Berger has left the police to become a private investigator, with his partner who helped to work this serial killer case of disappearing 15 year old girls and because things are left hanging in a major way suggesting only part of the case is resolved. This is a twisted and dark Scandi-Noir featuring a melancholic Sam Berger who leads a team into a farmhouse thought to be where a missing girl, Ellen, is bei ...more
Warrengent
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had one of the most unique and unexpected twists to it, that made me stop reading and really think to myself how did I not see that coming.
That is testament to the author who's writing is not only addictive but also totally brilliant, totally give my emotions and mind a good shake up,compulsive read,highly recommend it.
Thanks everyone at NG and the author and publisher,for allowing be to read this awesome book.
Louise Wilson
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
At each abandoned crime scene, there is a hidden clue, a tiny metal dog, almost invisible to the human eye. Someone is sending Detective Sam Berger a message. Someone who knows that only Sam will understand the cryptic trail. When another teenage girl disappears without trace, Sam has to convince his superiors that they are dealing with a serial killer. As the police continue the hunt for the latest victim, Sam is forced to unearth long-buried personal demons. Sam has to understand darkly person ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Swedish review

Ellen Savinger är femton år och har varit borta i tre veckor. Polisen Sam Berger tror att en seriemördare har tagit henne, men då ingen kropp har hittats är det ingen som tar hans teori på allvar. Men så får de till slut en öppning i fallet och i samma veva så hittar den den mystiska Nathalie Fredén. Men kanske har Sam tagit sig vatten över huvudet...?

Vad jag undrar är följande; varför har jag aldrig läst Arne Dahl förut? Han är en av min mammas favoritförfattare men jag har inte
Jannelies
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
Thank you NetGalley for this advance copy.
I’m a long time fan of Scandinavian thrillers and of course Arne Dahl is one of my favorites. His books are not suitable for people who like an easy read. No, from page one on, you are thrown into the story and only slowly you will get a grasp of what is really going on. This story has almost as much layers as there are pages in the book, with the layers becoming more and more intriguing.
What’s so clever with Dahl’s writing is that you have to fill out
Roman Clodia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved Dahl's Intercrime series, but this book is far more conventional, even a bit tired. There are some great twists that are so out there that they're practically U-turns in the first half but then things settle into one of those tales where a traumatic event in childhood is played out 30 years later, a premise which always makes me sigh in disbelief.

What I loved about the Intercrime series was the slick plotting and, especially, the rounded characterisations of the team with their banter an
Rob Twinem
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started this book it really confused me. I expect Scandinavian fiction to be a slow burner with deep descriptions and weighty character development. However from page 1 we are literally thrown into the unrelenting action as Detective Sam Berger together with his trusty assistant Deer (Desire) smash rotten wooden planks and charges through the door of a ruined building, battering ram in hand, in search of another teenaged girl who has disappeared without trace.

At first I found the unrele
Liz Barnsley
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this one – it was just the kind of twisty story I love with a couple of smartly drawn main protagonists, plenty of mystery, completely gripping and really right up my street.

It is a “serial killer thriller” that also sets up what I hope will be a long running series as I am at this point very attached to Sam as a character – and just as attached to his erstwhile partner in crime who’s name I won’t give you right now so as not to spoil the plot – but individually they allow for a lot of f
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
I’m a huge lover of Scandinavian crime so I was thrilled to be approved to read Watching You. I had no expectation as I’ve not read anything by him before, so I was hoping for greatness!

Watching You started out really well, as you would expect with a solid and gruesome premise. There were plenty of twists and turns along the way, some that were more shocking than others. There is a great sense of momentum at the beginning of the book and I was intrigued right from the beginning.

I really liked S
Janet
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hadn't head of Arne Dahl before this book had been offered to me. Turned to be a really nice surprise.

A young girl disappears and there is no trace of her anywhere. Other 15 year old girls have disappeared also and it's a case that Detective Sam Berger and his team are cased to solve. One night whilst entering a farmhouse it becomes clear that the place is booby trapped and a man goes down. It's a shocking moment that leaves the police officers nervous as the farmhouse is searched for any clue
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Vintage Publishing for an advance copy of Watching You, a Swedish police procedural.

Detective Sam Berger is hunting for missing 15 year old schoolgirl, Ellen Savinger. In the 3 weeks since she has disappeared there have been precious few clues until a phone call identifies a house with Ellen in it. What they find is a house of horrors but no Ellen. Sam is convinced he is looking for a serial killer but his boss instructs him not to mention thi
Annette
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book to a point but I did find it over complicated and a bit drawn out because of this it didn't hold my interest as I would have liked. Thank you to the publisher for the ARC
Patrícia Braz
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Paul
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Watching You – A Stunning New Scandi Series

Without doubt Arne Dahl is the King of Scandi Noir and does not look like giving up that mantle with a new thriller series. Like all his thrillers his writing has a pace that is breath taking from the first sentence to the last, he has you in a vice like grip. He has such a compelling way of creating characters that just attract attention that intrigue and intelligence. Dahl’s books are both complex and compelling at the same time, the plotlines are wel
Anna Dalvi
A bit disappointed since I normally really like Arne Dahl. But the story just is not in any way believable to me. I tried to suspend disbelief and enjoy it anyway, which went so-so.
Heidi
The aspen leaves are trembling.
And so will you .....

Wow! What a wild emotional rollercoaster ride this book turned out to be! Whilst some of the opening scenes were somewhat dark and confronting, I was settling in to read what I thought would be a fairly typical Scandinavian murder / mystery. And for a while, the story seemed to flow along a well-trodden path, as detectives Berger and Deer follow a lead to a derelict farmhouse where they hope to find a missing 15-year-old girl who they fear has
Jeanette
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed quite a few Scandinavian novels, but this is the first by Arne Dahl. It appears that i have been missing out all this time on a great author! So many twists and turns, which i love. Some parts did drag a little, but this did not spoil the story for me. I think it could be partly my fault, as i sometimes get a little impatient for wanting to know what is going to happen next. This could quite easily make a good drama on TV. Highly recommended.

Am now looking forward to reading more
Helen Eddon
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm always reluctant to give books negative reviews - just because it wasn't to my taste doesn't mean it's a bad book. However, I really struggled with this, despite having read and enjoyed books by Arne Dahl previously. I found the plot plodded along, seemed confused about where it was going at times and I didn't engage with the characters at all. Not for me, I'm afraid.
Rowena Hoseason
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
One of the Nordic nations’ premier crime writers delivers a masterclass of misdirection and suspense. Arne Dahl kicks off what appears to be a standard Scandi crime police procedural with a stand-out, set piece action sequence which simultaneously curls your toes and sets your stomach churning.

The whole book is saturated with unsettling scents; blood, bodily fluids, decay, and each scene is soaked with the incessant precipitation – from downpour to near-constant drizzle – which is the investiga
Cheryl M-M
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sam is desperately trying to find a young girl, the victim of a kidnapping. The upper echelon of the police think it is an isolated event, but Sam thinks it is the work of a serial-killer. He believes her disappearance is linked to other cases of missing girls. Of course the upper echelon is also unaware of his personal interest in the case, and his private investigations into the crimes.

Sam happens upon a coincidence, well at least he thinks he does, which leads him to the killer. Enter Molly,
Sharon
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook, purchased
Watching You, Berger & Blom #1, Arne Dahl & Neil Smith. 2016/2019 iBook

Interesting hobby or collection Berger has of old expensive watches...how his collecting started becomes important... Berger seems another lone wolf type. He’s obviously haunted by something....he’s determined to find a missing teenage girl, connect her to others earlier. While he gets cooperation from his colleagues Deer to Syl, he has issues with his boss Allan. Signs of violence are found, they apprehend and quest
Colette Lamberth
There were sections of this that I really enjoyed and couldn't turn the pages fast enough, but equally there were sections that seemed to drag. I see that it's the first in a new series and the ending did in some respects leave me wanting more. A good read but it just didn't overall have the wow factor for me.

I received a copy of Watching You via NetGalley and my thanks to Vintage for that.
DianeAlice
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5* I don't think I was really in the mood for this unfortunately. I did finish it and would probably read the follow up when it's released. Wasn't feeling well so didn't quite follow it as well as I could have. In a better frame of mind, this would probably be a good read as I love Scandi crime.
Sara
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Think i Will read his other books. this was weard but i liked it.
Nathalie
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
What a fantastic thriller this was! It's without any doubt the best thriller I've already read this year, amongst which a couple of other Scandinavian ones.
Arne Dahl is a genious with getting the reader dive into the action in the middle of a house raid at the beginning of this new thriller of his, without any introduction. It is only a couple of pages further that you get to know more about the case and the police detective and its team. This trick might disturb you a bit, I was so blown away
Tanja Berg
This was boring beyond belief! This book has received some fuss here in Northern Europe, but I fail to see why. There isn't anything about this that I liked. If I hadn't had this on audio, it would have been a wall banger after a few chapters. As it was an audio, I just let it roll. I didn't enjoy it. I didn't like the characters and I found the plot tenuous to say the least.

Sam Berger is after a serial murderer or kidnapper. The problem is that there isn't really much proof of substance that so
Alex Ryan
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Christian
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this the best book by Arne Dahl ever ? It is certainly a contender. I miss Paul, Kerstin, Arto and the rest of the gang.

But man, how great is this book?

It is, as if the author has been revitalized. Like a magician, who invents a new trick. Like a composer, who writes his masterpiece after his faithful audience thought, he couldn't surpass his earlier works !

There are scenes in this book, that are written so well, realistic and detailed, that you can smell the blood, see the persons, feel the
Jeremy Megraw
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Crime Fiction Lover

Right out of the gate, Arne Dahl’s latest screenplay-ready Nordic noir thriller holds fast and never lets go. In its tense first pages, Detective Sam Berger and his assault team are in position, ready to storm into an abandoned shack wherein they hope to find missing teen, Ellen Savinger. It appears to be empty, but don’t exhale yet. One officer trips a booby trap of flying daggers. The wounded and terrorised cops’ hopes are deflated when they find nothing
Mary Picken
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Arne Dahl is a king of crime writing. His prose is always compelling. His mind is exquisite – I loved the way that he used watches and clocks both to leave clues and as instruments of mental and physical torture.

Watching You is a study in masterful, fast paced and intelligent prose. This is a book which launches straight into the action, leaving the reader breathlessly running to catch up with our protagonist, Detective Sam Berger and his intuitive and always reliable sidekick, Deer.

From the beg
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rörgast (The Öland Quartet #4)
  • Porto Francos väktare (Karin Adler, #3)
  • I tystnaden begravd
  • Mios blues (Martin Benner, #2)
  • Vår egen lilla hemlighet (Hagfors, #4)
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • Allmen und der rosa Diamant (Allmen, #2)
  • DNA (Children's House, #1)
  • Vägen mot bålberget
  • Den stumma flickan (Sebastian Bergman, #4)
  • De hængte hunde (Niels Oxen, #1)
  • The Living and the Dead in Winsford
  • Kring denna kropp
  • Three Minutes (Grens & Sundkvist, #7)
  • Blybröllop
  • Den döende detektiven
  • Todesurteil (Maarten S. Sneijder, #2)
Arne Dahl is the pen name of Jan Arnald, an internationally known Swedish crime author and literary critic.

His writing can also be seen in the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter. He published Barbarer (2001) and Maria och Artur (2006) under his own name, but under his pseudonym he has written the A-gruppen (Intercrime) series, involving the A-team, a group highly trained in dealing with criminal ca

Berger & Blom (3 books)
  • Inland (Berger & Blom, #2)
  • Mittvatten